Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Emiliano Sala plane crash

Comments

• Options
    again from the pilot's forum a pretty compelling insight into why Cardiff might be stalling...

"Not really sure how anyone could assess this flight to be anything other than 'commercial'. McKay was an agent in a significant commercial transaction where an asset under his control was purchased for £15m. Released emails from McKay to Sala affirm that his relationship was strictly professional- in fact he openly stated that there would be no personal relationship, in his words "just want to make money". As part of the commercial transaction, the asset had to be delivered to it's new facilities. His new employers offered a commercial flight. McKay arranged this alternative transportation. McKay has since said that he 'wished he'd told Sala he couldn't go that weekend'- therefore McKay has admitted to having sufficient control and authority over this asset. McKay had the responsibility of assuring the safe delivery of his asset. McKay did not choose an appropriate commercial operator- he instead selected a cheap alternative with no AOC....In legal terms if I were Cardiff/Nantes- I'd be chasing McKay for the £15m."

Another poster picks this up from a South American media outlet

Maximiliano Duarte, a close friend of the footballer, has pointed the finger of blame at the player's representative.

"He is responsible," Duarte said of the representative to America Noticias.

"The great truth behind all this is that there is a culprit because Emiliano never decided to get on that plane.

"These are all obligations that one has and as a professional he accepted.

"Emi was forced to board the plane that night."

A much earlier poster on there wrote that he had in the past been involved in several transactions of this type (he did not explain how or why) and said that invariably the club's insurance of a new player was only completed a few days after the player signs, just the way things happens. So there is the ghastly possibility for Cardiff that they did not have the insurance in place, even though they were probably working on it.
  • Options
    Well if that is currently the case, I suspect it's going to change pretty sharpish for any future transfers.
  • Options

A much earlier poster on there wrote that he had in the past been involved in several transactions of this type (he did not explain how or why) and said that invariably the club's insurance of a new player was only completed a few days after the player signs, just the way things happens. So there is the ghastly possibility for Cardiff that they did not have the insurance in place, even though they were probably working on it.

If true, that's pretty bloody stupid. When you acquire a new asset, whether it's person , vehicle, building or whatever, arranging insurance to start in a few days is ridiculously risky and I can't believe that it would be allowed by any sort of responsible organisation. The reasons for this are painfully obvious. A vehicle could crash, a building could burn down over the weekend or your brand new £15m player could die...

• Options
    I think I saw it reported that Cardiff will get 15 million from the insurers but that the total cost of the deal actually mounted up towards 25-30 million - so they will end up out of pocket in any case.

More importantly - and I am guessing there will be some folks here in the insurance game - I doubt the insurers will pay up until they have looked under every stone to see if they can pin the whole thing on someone else.

I'd love it to be Willie Mackay.
  • Options

...........So there is the ghastly possibility for Cardiff that they did not have the insurance in place, even though they were probably working on it.

He's insured by Cardiff......
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

If true, that's pretty bloody stupid. When you acquire a new asset, whether it's person , vehicle, building or whatever, arranging insurance to start in a few days is ridiculously risky and I can't believe that it would be allowed by any sort of responsible organisation. The reasons for this are painfully obvious. A vehicle could crash, a building could burn down over the weekend or your brand new £15m player could die...

Sounds obvious but I worked with a guy who died on his way home on his last working day. It set off a big legal claim over wether he was covered by the company's life insurance i.e. does it end at 5pm or midnight? Point here is that there will always be a gap in insurance cover between jobs.
  • Options
    jonno said:

Rizzo said:

Sounds obvious but I worked with a guy who died on his way home on his last working day. It set off a big legal claim over wether he was covered by the company's life insurance i.e. does it end at 5pm or midnight? Point here is that there will always be a gap in insurance cover between jobs.
    As I say, he's insured by Cardiff, for £16m (Policy Limit), I can even tell you who the broker of the policy was and which Lloyds Syndicate led it.... as always Lloyds will pay out swiftly, just like they did for Carrie Fisher (50m USD) and George Michael (3m GBP).
  • Options
    Possibly a stupid question I know, but if they only find 1 body is it possible the other person got on a safety raft and is still alive somewhere
  • Options
    Body found off to Portland in Dorset.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Recovered obviously.
  • Options
    I'd be interested to know how a robotic sub vehicle can recover a body in this way. Can't fathom it.
  • Options

Mental what they can manage to do with technology.

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

jonno said:

Rizzo said:

As I say, he's insured by Cardiff, for £16m (Policy Limit), I can even tell you who the broker of the policy was and which Lloyds Syndicate led it.... as always Lloyds will pay out swiftly, just like they did for Carrie Fisher (50m USD) and George Michael (3m GBP).
    What would the insurance cover. I only know what I’ve read about in the US, but it would normally be to cover salary if the player suffered a career ending injury while playing.
  • Options
    helps to recover that it was only a couple hundred feet down, as opposed to the deep ocean, which is kilometers.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

jonno said:

Rizzo said:

Fair enough, the person I was referring to was simply commenting that in general terms in the hectic environment of last minute transfers, that the paperwork around insurance might lag a little bit, no deliberately but due to inefficiencies within the buying club (can anyone think of a club where that might apply? :-). ) After all, top of mind would be the risk of serious injury in a match, which might not come until several days after the transfer. Clearly you know in this case that Cardiff had done the job.

That in turn clarifies that Nantes are fully justified in pointing out that they are owed a large sum of money, setting aside whether they should be making such a point so publicly at this time. If there is a case of negligence to be made against McKay it will be for Cardiff, not Nantes, to pursue it. The difficulty there is that (we have learnt) the McKay dynasty is deeply embedded within the Cardiff club.

Speaking of that, this terrible story has also enabled us to learn more about how agents 'earn' money.

McKay has, if I understand right, two sons on Cardiff's books (Paul and Jack?). We may assume that he regularly acts on behalf of Cardiff in transfer activities, for which he will earn fees. Fair enough. I regularly act on behalf of e.g.Staropramen or Coke to find them marketing people (although I don't have relatives in those teams), and if successful, they pay me.

However the email quoted above by @Addick Addict shows that he had a "mandate" from Nantes to sell Sala, in other words he flogs Sala and gets money from that sale.

Then we learn that he was seeking to become Sala's agent too, for which he would also earn money.

As a practitioner in "normal" executive search" I find that absolutely mind -boggling, and that's without us even knowing the actual sums involved, and the amount and difficulty of the work involved for that money.

And some people on here question my criticisms of the role of agents in football...

• Options

I have long held that any job that has 'agent' in the title is very often done by a money grabber of limited intellect and even more limited ability.

• Options

English Channel is only a couple of hundred metres deep at its deepest point.

• Options
    edited February 2019

I say instead of paying the transfer fee to Nantes for Sala I think Cardiff and Nantes should give it to his family and the Pilots family too .... would be a lovely if they did

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    As nice as it would be, I doubt Nantes can afford to Give away that much money.
  • Options
    Body found was Sala

R.I.P Sala
  • Options
    Body recovered has been identified as Salad

RIP
  • Options
    uie2 said:

I say instead of paying the transfer fee to Nantes for Sala I think Cardiff and Nantes should give it to his family and the Pilots family too .... would be a lovely if they did

It was a tragic accident and I don’t mean to come across as mean but I don’t really get why the family of a relatively small time pilot should be given a stack of cash for him piloting a plane into the ocean.
  • Options
    RIP Sala
  • Options
    RIP Salado. Hope they find the pilot too
  • Options
    ^ Sala. Is there no edit? I'll have to proof read now...
  • Options
    RIP Sala. 
  • Options
    Pilot could be bloody anywhere.