Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Whitstable restaurants

Comments

• Friends of mine used to have the plough , big pub but on the edge of a ruff estate in swalecliffe used to get hairy in there at the weekends
  • edited January 2020
    Each to their own PopIcon, each to their own. 

I will admit I preferred it 10-15 years ago when it had got popular enough to be nice but not so popular it's got very expensive/trendy etc, but it's still a lovely place. 
  • PopIcon said:
    Whitstable is possibly the most overrated place on the planet. I'd rather go to a Jason Donovan concert and have to sit through a selection of his b'sides.
    Who’s rating it for what other than pubs & restaurants? Is it that you don’t like these or whitstable as a town?
  • Well I like Whitstable, and for those that knock it, the question is where else on that coast does what Whitstable does, just as well? Not bloody Margate, eh?
  • PopIcon said:
    Whitstable is possibly the most overrated place on the planet. I'd rather go to a Jason Donovan concert and have to sit through a selection of his b'sides.
    Who’s rating it for what other than pubs & restaurants? Is it that you don’t like these or whitstable as a town?
    I don't like any of it, pubs have always been shite. Restaurants decisively average.
    Streets are busy and single file, pebble beach is unextraordinary.
    It's just really overrated, I've spent a LOT of time there due to having friends in town.

They moved out in the end as it became over populated with tossers. 
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    I don't like any of it, pubs have always been shite. Restaurants decisively average.
    It's just really overrated, I've spent a LOT of time there due to having friends in town.

Well myself & my parents ran a lot of those “shite” pubs so I’ll respectfully disagree ,I also spent a LOT of time there being born & raised there so I can tell you for sure you are wrong & have no idea what you are on about , as a visitor I guess you missed it’s real community & it sounds like your one of the people it can do without but I’m sure whitstable is a better place for you visiting.
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:

Well myself & my parents ran a lot of those “shite” pubs so I’ll respectfully disagree ,I also spent a LOT of time there being born & raised there so I can tell you for sure you are wrong & have no idea what you are on about , as a visitor I guess you missed it’s real community & it sounds like your one of the people it can do without but I’m sure whitstable is a better place for you visiting.
    My friend was born in Whitstable and so were his parents. All Shepherd and Neame in Whitstable and Sheppard and Neame beer is garbage.

Tell me what I missed? 

If you ran a Shepherd and Neame pub, you're probably one of the people it can do without. YAWN.....

Not sure why you took it so personally, I was born in Sidcup and that's a dump.
  • PopIcon said:
    Well said that man
  • Sponsored links:

• PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:

Hold my frigging coat!
    Thought you was Albany ParK?
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:

Hold my frigging coat!
    I was 15 years ago. Still drink there occasionally 
  • edited January 2020
    I agree on Shepherd Neame beer, it's not the best.  Half the pubs are Shepherd Neame so my solution is to go into the other half. 
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:

Hold my frigging coat!
    I was 15 years ago. Still drink there occasionally 
    Had a great all dayer in there when the trains were cancelled in the snow
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:

My friend was born in Whitstable and so were his parents. All Shepherd and Neame in Whitstable and Sheppard and Neame beer is garbage.

Tell me what I missed? 

If you ran a Shepherd and Neame pub, you're probably one of the people it can do without. YAWN.....

I took it personally because you said the pubs have always been shite & i used to run one & my parents ran some so presumably you thought they were shite while we had them so it’s hard not to take personally. BTW it’s just Shepherd Neame not Shepherd  and Neame but it’s great to know you know what you’re talking about.  
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:

Tell me what I missed? 

I took it personally because you said the pubs have always been shite & i used to run one & my parents ran some so presumably you thought they were shite while we had them so it’s hard not to take personally. BTW it’s just Shepherd Neame not Shepherd  and Neame but it’s great to know you know what you’re talking about.  
    Don't take it personally, but all Shepherd and Neame, sorry Shepherd Neame pubs are garbage. Your mother could have ran a Monday Lunchtime wet T shirt competition and collected 50ps in a glass, still would have been garbage.

If it makes you feel any better, my mum and stepdad ran the Royal Archer pub in the heart of Millwall territory when I was growing up in the late 80s.
    It was fun living in the pub as a kid, but I would never have drank there as an adult.
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:

Tell me what I missed? 

Don't take it personally, but all Shepherd and Neame, sorry Shepherd Neame pubs are garbage. Your mother could have ran a Monday Lunchtime wet T shirt competition and collected 50ps in a glass, still would have been garbage.

If it makes you feel any better, my mum and stepdad ran the Royal Archer pub in the heart of Millwall territory when I was growing up in the late 80s.
    It was fun living in the pub as a kid, but I would never have drank there as an adult.
    It’s very small minded to claim that they are all shite , a good pub is a mark of the people in them rather than those that own them if it’s the beer you have a problem with that’s fine but to claim they are all shite and always have been is just plain dumb , unless you’ve been in them all all of the time I’m not sure how you would make that judgement but if to judge all based on a few is your thing then it’s probably your general outlook on life so I doubt you will change.
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:

Tell me what I missed? 

It’s very small minded to claim that they are all shite , a good pub is a mark of the people in them rather than those that own them if it’s the beer you have a problem with that’s fine but to claim they are all shite and always have been is just plain dumb , unless you’ve been in them all all of the time I’m not sure how you would make that judgement but if to judge all based on a few is your thing then it’s probably your general outlook on life so I doubt you will change.
    Well I can only make judgments on personal experience. I'll give you an example, Old Neptune. Beautiful location with wonderful history, very well documented history. However, the beer is shite, it stinks of dogs and the food dire. Not sure if it was Shepherd Neame who ruined it or your mum and dad. Anyway, in my opinion a shite pub.

A busy pub doesn't make for a great pub, Mrs Browns Boys won best comedy at the NTA's tonight, but that doesn't make it a great TV programme. I think it's bad, really, really bad. 
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:

Tell me what I missed? 

Well I can only make judgments on personal experience. I'll give you an example, Old Neptune. Beautiful location with wonderful history, very well documented history. However, the beer is shite, it stinks of dogs and the food dire. Not sure if it was Shepherd Neame who ruined it or your mum and dad. Anyway, in my opinion a shite pub.

A busy pub doesn't make for a great pub, Mrs Browns Boys won best comedy at the NTA's tonight, but that doesn't make it a great TV programme. I think it's bad, really, really bad. 
    Neptune has always been the same but that doesn’t make all whitstable pubs shite , with tenancies you run the pub pretty much as you like other than a drink tie & basic guidelines so how the pub is run is not really a reflection of the freeholders of that pub but the people running it so collectively calling them shite makes no real sense. & as the Neptune is right on the beach I presume the “beautiful location“ you talk of is the same as the “unextraordinary pebble beach” you talk of. 
    RE mrs browns boys I couldn’t agree more
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:

Tell me what I missed? 

Neptune has always been the same but that doesn’t make all whitstable pubs shite , with tenancies you run the pub pretty much as you like other than a drink tie & basic guidelines so how the pub is run is not really a reflection of the freeholders of that pub but the people running it so collectively calling them shite makes no real sense. & as the Neptune is right on the beach I presume the “beautiful location“ you talk of is the same as the “unextraordinary pebble beach” you talk of. 
    You say nanny's special mash and I say Birds Eye potato waffle. I lived in a pub, I've worked in the industry. If you want to inbox me I'll try and find the time to list the pubs I went to in Whistable and why I thought they were shite.
    One final thing for clarrification, It is not the beach that made the Nepture a beatuful location, it was the proximity to the sea and the isolation.
  • Sponsored links:

• PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:

Tell me what I missed? 

You say nanny's special mash and I say Birds Eye potato waffle. I lived in a pub, I've worked in the industry. If you want to inbox me I'll try and find the time to list the pubs I went to in Whistable and why I thought they were shite.
    One final thing for clarrification, It is not the beach that made the Nepture a beatuful location, it was the proximity to the sea and the isolation.
    I find that pretty often being on the beach goes hand in hand with being close to the sea. 
  • edited January 2020
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:

Tell me what I missed? 

Saddo.......with a capital S!

ALLShepherd Neame pubs are shite.......what a ridiculously bollox sweeping statement. When you come out with a truly absurd comment you of course immediately lose your argument.
    In my 72 years I have been in many all over Kent......the list of fabulous ones goes on and on, many of which I would gladly visit, time and time again.
    The Anglesey in Bromley was my regular local at one time, The Bucks Head in Sevenoaks is fabulous and another favourite, not forgetting Tudor Rose in Upper Upnor.
    Shepherd Neame, the oldest brewery in Britain, it must have been doing something right all these years.
  • edited January 2020
    Last year had a couple of trips for a few days first time with the Mrs then on my own to see the things I didn't see with her, she is mainly a up and down the high street person whilst I like looking in all the little nooks about. Pub wise and I visited half a dozen were hit and miss but I visited these.

Old Neptune....Great pub on the sea lovely grub and great real ale.
    Pearsons arms...pretentious...full of people who think their something paying £15 for a crab sandwich who look down on others.
    Rose in Bloom...Awful...terrible food and drink.
    Royal Naval reserve.....Lovely little pub in the middle of the high street, full of friendly locals.
    Ship Centurion... Great pub with lots of real ale and German beer.
    The Peter Cushing (Wetherspoons)...Usual chain pub with its array of drunken locals and those looking for a choice of several beers and cheap grub....ok.
    Coach and Horses...Ok nothing special.

Whitstable is great, yes there are a few snobs about but these places draw that ilk in.
  • Hold the popcorn, I'll have a bucket of pork scratchings
  • Shepherd Neame Masterbrew. Second only to Adnams Bitter. 
    If you don't like Whitstable walk half a mile to Tankerton. Second only to London SE7
  • Surprised at the amount of dislike for Whistable. 
  • There is only on person slating it from what i can see. 

We were lucky to hire a beautiful house on Air BnB which is on the seafront outside the Neptune, regulars will know the house I mean.  It was last August Bank holiday weekend which had beautiful weather.  Brilliant house and fantastic location.  Could sit out the front garden and listen to all the goings on and have our own party.  Fantastic weekend.   

Would highly recommend the house.  Gone up a bit i think now as it was only new on last summer. 

• Always enjoy a trip to Whitstable. It is similar to Leigh on Sea in how I would bracket my time and experiences there (food/drink/walks/locals). 

They always show Charlton games in the pubs,with sound, so let's not batter the place!! 

The only negative for me is how downhill Pearson's Arms has got over the years. It's regular customers are now loud teenagers and few older wideboys. Not sure what's happened there?
  • A couple I know took over The Plough a few months back. Seems to be going from strength to strength
    The bloke is a colleague of mine. They’re loving it at the moment. Nice grub (not biased) 
  • Is the Plough the pub that had "Die -------" spraypainted outside a while back?