Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer’s best XI...

Comments

• Options
    If we're talking about the best we've had under Bowyer:

GK: Maxwell
    RB: Matthews (Solly at his best was better but he hasn't been at his best for some time)
    CB: Bauer
    CB: Sarr
    LB: Purrington (Page is a better player but he could break down 2s into the game so is too high a risk)
    Midfield: Most likely in a diamond but this lot are good enough to play any combination
    Bielik, Cullen, Gallagher, Williams 
    Forwards: Taylor, Grant

Subs: 
    Phillips
    Dijksteel, Lockyer
    Aribo, Pratley (this might be Davis when we've seen him play)
    Fosu, Igor

If it's who we've got now:

Phillips
    Matthews, Lockyer, Sarr, Purrington
    Cullen, Williams, Pratley/Davis, Green
    Taylor, Bonne

Subs: 
    Amos
    Field, Hemed, McGeady, Oztumer, Davis/Pratley, Doughty
    You would choose Maxwell ahead of Phillips if we had both now? 
    Purrington is not in our best side.  
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

RB: Matthews (Solly at his best was better but he hasn't been at his best for some time)
    LB: Purrington (Page is a better player but he could break down 2s into the game so is too high a risk)
    Midfield: Most likely in a diamond but this lot are good enough to play any combination

Subs: 
    Phillips
    Dijksteel, Lockyer
    Fosu, Igor

Phillips
    Taylor, Bonne

Subs: 
    Amos
    You would choose Maxwell ahead of Phillips if we had both now? 
    Purrington is not in our best side.  
    Agreed.
  • Options
    I'm not actually sure we have a 'best' 11 and I'm not sure that is an idea that Bowyer buys into at all. He sets us up with subtle differences for each game based on what he thinks will get the best out of us and exploit the oppositions weaknesses and rotation.

Having said that let's go with it anyway.

I think we are best when we play a back 4 so I'm going with that. The squad looks set to either play Bowyers Diamond or a 4231. I think 2 up top is Bows preferred option so let's go diamond.

Green/Bonne Taylor
    Williams
    Davis Cullen
    Pratley 
    Purrington Sarr Lockyer Matthew's
    Phillips

Amos Pearce Oshilaja Doughty Field Smith McGeady Green/Bonne

Cant pick up top. Green and Taylor look to be forming a good partnership but so did Bonne and Taylor when they played together. I'd be happy with either they have different strengths and I would pick depending on opposition. In fact I'd be happy with Bonne and Green too if Taylor needed a rest.

William's is obvious at the tip of the diamond although at the start of the season there was a fair amount of talk of him playing a deeper role so against weaker opposition I wouldn't mind him taking Davis role and bring McGeady or Ozzy in at the tip.

Davis in as one of the 2 CMs. But I'm really hoping Smith can do a Gallagher and make that role his own.

Cullen and Pratley pick themselves though we have plenty of options for rest/rotation. 

The back 4 is pretty straightforward. Purrington plays in a 4. Matthews over solly. And Pearce/Sarr as a horses for courses approach. Sarr if we are expecting to have more of the ball and Pearce for games like fulham.
  • Options

agree with Canters above pretty much, Purrington plays in a flat back 4, Doughty if we play wing backs....I'd have Pearce over Sarr but I reckon long term Oshilaja will make a CB spot his own, really think he's gonna be quality.

my 6 guaranteed starters would be Phillips, Lockyer, Cullen, Pratley, Williams and Taylor (and probably Matthews as No 7)....the rest would be built around those.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Best he’s had:

Phillips 
    Dijksteel Bauer Pearce Page
    Bielik
    Aribo Cullen Williams 
    Taylor Grant

Weaker 11 now but stronger squad? 

• Options
    Surely 'keepers under Bowyer have be rated as:

Phillips - Amos - Steer - Maxwell
  • Options
    If everyone is fit, surely Page is left back?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Following on from what Canters says

Would have Purrington at Left-Back in a flat four

Page would replace Doughty in the Wing Back role
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    I would yes, reason I put Purrington in mine is cos I don’t see Page as our player anymore as I don’t think he will ever play for us again, as harsh as it sounds.
  • Options
    I'll reserve judgement until I see the new loans play
  • Options
    How is anyone picking Maxwell who never played a game for us???
    I can’t get my head around that either. Not really sure what Phillips has to do to convince some people. 
  • Options
    Makes you look in-the-know and a part time scout if you pick players who never played but could have been amazing!
  • Options
    Surprising to see McGeady wouldn't be in most peoples side.

I think he'll be a cracking signing 
  • Options

Hard to pick someone who hasn't played for us yet. Even harder if they are competing for the same role as Williams who is one of our best players. 

As I said I would like to see him in the team whether we play 4231 or try Williams in a deeper role against weaker opposition. But its hard to put him in our best 11 yet.
  • Options

Subs: 
    Phillips
    Dijksteel, Lockyer
    Fosu, Igor

Phillips
    Taylor, Bonne

Subs: 
    Amos
    To be fair Maxwell didn't concede a goal so is a shoe in...
  • Options
    Sadly, I think the first suggested Jan 2019 best eleven is much stronger than anyone's Feb 2020 eleven and that's a worry.

Would love Bielik, Aribo and Grant and that was a division below under the hated Roland.

• Options
    Bowyer loves his 4-4-2 diamond, nice and direct so it has to be:

Phillips

Matthews
    Lockyer
    Sarr
    Purrington

Pratley
    Cullen
    Davis
    Williams

Taylor
    Green

It's hard to see where Davis, Smith and McGeady improve us without seeing them. McGeady stepping up at 33 and being asked to work his nuts off for 90mins for a side scraping results doesn't seem like his cup o' tea, but his reputation is probably preceding him for me there.

I agree with @grumpyaddick that our Jan 2019 is better than our current one. Aribo, Bielik, Grant and Dijksteel walk into this side and are big steps up.

I'd say our September 2019 side with Gallagher and Leko is better than this current one too.

• Options
    Which without seeing 3 of the 4 January recruits play is quite a bold statement imo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Galagher would no doubt improve this side but I'm not sure Leko would. For me Green is better based on what I've seen.
  • Options
    I love pratley, but a fully fit Field gets in over him for me.

Field is a very, very good player. I really hope we sign him on a perm.
  • Options
    I love pratley, but a fully fit Field gets in over him for me.

Field is a very, very good player. I really hope we sign him on a perm.
    Someone doesn't go very often...
  • Options

Subs: 
    Phillips
    Dijksteel, Lockyer
    Fosu, Igor

Phillips
    Taylor, Bonne

Subs: 
    Amos
    Yeah, but his shots saved record stands at zero and he's yet to play a pass that finds a teammate.

Shit hair as well.
  • Options
    Galagher would no doubt improve this side but I'm not sure Leko would. For me Green is better based on what I've seen.
    Leko was underrated by fans during his time here, so that doesn't surprise me. When you play the system that we play, someone like him is invaluable.

I think technically Green has shown he's probably better technically i.e finishing, but movement and ability to beat a player Leko is miles ahead.

He got 5 goals and 4 assists. A goal or assist every 168 minutes on top of his ability to stretch teams and create by beating players.

Which without seeing 3 of the 4 January recruits play is quite a bold statement imo

Fair, but I think the chances any of those recruits are of Gallagher standard are low. So whilst the squad is definitely better, but the first XI, not so much.

Obviously time will tell etc. etc.

• Options

agree with Canters above pretty much, Purrington plays in a flat back 4, Doughty if we play wing backs....I'd have Pearce over Sarr but I reckon long term Oshilaja will make a CB spot his own, really think he's gonna be quality.

my 6 guaranteed starters would be Phillips, Lockyer, Cullen, Pratley, Williams and Taylor (and probably Matthews as No 7)....the rest would be built around those.

I don't see any areas that Purrington is better than Doughty, including defending. 
  • Options
    Leko was underrated by fans during his time here, so that doesn't surprise me. When you play the system that we play, someone like him is invaluable.

I think technically Green has shown he's probably better technically i.e finishing, but movement and ability to beat a player Leko is miles ahead.

He got 5 goals and 4 assists. A goal or assist every 168 minutes on top of his ability to stretch teams and create by beating players.

Fair, but I think the chances any of those recruits are of Gallagher standard are low. So whilst the squad is definitely better, but the first XI, not so much.

Obviously time will tell etc. etc.

In no way am I saying Leko was bad. I was a big fan of him. But Green is better in my view. If he keeps going as he is.
  • Options
    Are either Green or Leko better than Bonne? Especially for the system we play, and how Lyle likes to play which is to run into wide areas, where you need a proper striker in the box to be on the receiving end?

Bonne may be less technically good, but is a more natural striker and finisher.
  • Options

Subs: 
    Phillips
    Dijksteel, Lockyer
    Fosu, Igor

Phillips
    Taylor, Bonne

Subs: 
    Amos
    Yeah, but his shots saved record stands at zero and he's yet to play a pass that finds a teammate.

Shit hair as well.
    But did you see the way he put his gloves on on before the warm up away to Doncaster in the play offs? Much better than the way Phillips and Amos do.
  • Options

@Gravesend_Addick I hoped he would be but I think that's a forlorn hope.