Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer’s best XI...

Comments

• Options
    Phillips
    Bauer Pearce Sarr
    Cullen
    Aribo JFC Bielik
    Williams
    Taylor Grant

Subs: Maxwell, Solly, Fosu, Clarke, Lapslie, Page, Marshall
  • Options

Phillips
    Bauer Pearce Sarr
    Cullen
    Aribo JFC Bielik
    Williams
    Taylor Grant

That team would be way too narrow.
  • Options

I'm surprised so many have left out Sarr, he has been superb lately.

If he is so great, why aren't we winning every match 4-0 as promised?
  • Options

Sarr is a good player, but would you take out Pearce or Bauer for him? I wouldn't.
  • Options
    Thick pork sausages
    Chipolata sausages
    Pork pies
    Sausage rolls
    Large sausage rolls
    Mini pork pies
    Pork sausages
    Cheese and onion quiche
    Mini sausage rolls
    Quiche Lorraine
    Irish sausages

• Options

Sarr is a good player, but would you take out Pearce or Bauer for him? I wouldn't.
    Probably not generally speaking. But if he carries on playing like he did recently then Pearce doesn't deserve to walk back into the team.
  • Options
    Phillips
    Solly Bauer Sarr Page
    Cullen
    Bielik Aribo
    Williams
    Taylor Grant

Maxwell, Purrington, Pearce, JFC, Reeves, Fosu, Vetokele
  • Options
    Philips

Solly, Bauer, Sarr, Page

Bielik

Cullen, Aribo

Williams

Grant, Taylor

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Slightly tangental but I’m intrigued to hear views on how many of those would cut it in the Championship if we did sneak up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well as they are nearly all out of contract at the end of the year or on loan, not that many.

If you are asking who can do a decent job in the championship I would say:

Phillips - I think so
    Solly - think he’s still got half a season at LB
    Bauer-yes
    Sarr - yes
    Page - no
    Bielik - yes
    Cullen - yes
    Aribo - yes
    Williams - yes
    Grant - probably
    Taylor - yes
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Slightly tangential but I’m intrigued to hear views on how many of those would cut it in the Championship if we did sneak up.

Including loanees

Goalkeepers: Maxwell
    Defence: Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Sarr | Bielik ... (Question mark over Page | Purrington)
    Midfield: Forster-Caskey | Cullen | Aribo | Williams ... (Question mark over Lapslie | Fosu | Dijksteel | Reeves)
    Strikers: Taylor | Grant

Pratley I think is too old for that level now

Morgan would benefit a loan deal to League One yet will be good enough for the Championship one day

Edit: Of course when I raise question marks about Lasplie | Dijksteel etc. they're again both players that'll maybe struggle to begin with, I dont think a loan deal will be beneficial to them by going back to League One yet will have decent games in the Championship but will lack consistency at times
  • Options

Phillips
    Bauer Pearce Sarr
    Cullen
    Aribo JFC Bielik
    Williams
    Taylor Grant

Not really, it's a starting formation for possession, if the other team exploits your flanks push Sarr to Left back and Bielik to right back until you win the ball back. We don't have very good modern day full backs, we have 3 good centre backs, I've gone for the best formation with what we have. By your logic you could also just say 'team is too wide, the other team are gonna run through the middle'

As for who will cut it in the championship when we get promoted. Aribo, Bauer, Naby, Pearce, JFC, Taylor, Grant, Williams and Fosu on his day. Question marks for everyone else, haven't included loans
  • Options

Phillips
    Bauer Pearce Sarr
    Cullen
    Aribo JFC Bielik
    Williams
    Taylor Grant

Not really, it's a starting formation for possession, if the other team exploits your flanks push Sarr to Left back and Bielik to right back until you win the ball back. We don't have very good modern day full backs, we have 3 good centre backs, I've gone for the best formation with what we have. By your logic you could also just say 'team is too wide, the other team are gonna run through the middle'

As for who will cut it in the championship when we get promoted. Aribo, Bauer, Naby, Pearce, JFC, Taylor, Grant, Williams and Fosu on his day. Question marks for everyone else, haven't included loans
    Not sure that JFC has enough mobility/defensive quality to cut it the Championship.
  • Options

Well as they are nearly all out of contract at the end of the year or on loan, not that many.

Phillips - I think so
    Bauer-yes
    Sarr - yes
    Page - no
    Bielik - yes
    Cullen - yes
    Aribo - yes
    Williams - yes
    Grant - probably
    Taylor - yes

No evidence Sarr can play at a higher level
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Phillips - I think so
    Bauer-yes
    Sarr - yes
    Page - no
    Bielik - yes
    Cullen - yes
    Aribo - yes
    Williams - yes
    Grant - probably
    Taylor - yes

No evidence Sarr can play at a higher level
    Based on last three or four games I reckon there is. Let’s see if he can keep it up (I think he can).
  • Options
    If we had signed Sarr this summer he’d be seen as a classy young(ish) defender with a lot of potential.

Far better fourth choice than Doherty, who we had in the title winning season.

I wouldn’t write him off doing well in the Championship. When he was last there he lacked first team experience, had never played in England, was playing in a poor squad and we changed manager three times.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I’m really excited for the rest of the season about the best side potentially when all are fit since the 11-12 season. I’d just be a little more circumspect about who could play in the championship. We have a number of exciting kids (Lapslie, Morgan) who may one day but certainly aren’t ready yet/next year, a few more who have been tearing up trees for us this year but whose age and past record incline me to think that if they had been destined for a higher level they would have done it successfully by now (Taylor, Pearce, Reeves), a few who I think may be excelling at just about their level in League 1 (Page when fit and possible Naby) and some for whom I think a higher ship has sailed (Solly, Marshall) All of that said, we have a few who are clearly at least one level above already (Bielik, Cullen, Williams - see the common thread?) and some who I think will make it when they step up (Bauer, Aribo). I’d put Taylor in that camp too as I think he is maturing very late in his career a la Yann so deserves a shot at a championship hey day But we have a few really good players at this level who if I’m any judge just lack an element or two to really make it big ( Grant has great pace but I’m not sure will ever be the real deal confidence wise, Page is made of glass, Reeves looks like he’s the real deal then Williams turns up and pees on his chips, Fosu has all the tricks in the book but hasn’t developed the nous to go with them). All in all, I’m really enjoying this lot and maybe the step up is less than I think.

• Options
    I still think Reeves and Williams can play together in our team. You'd think it was too lightweight, but imagine our last starting XI with Reeves instead of Morgan. Charlton City Of Culture 2019
  • Options
    You see the thing is, we are 28 games into the season and I still don't think that Bowyer has managed to put out our strongest side yet, so to still be within a chance of top two is a real credit to the group of players we have.

It's interesting to see the amount of different line ups that people feel is our best eleven, and it's a really tough call to be honest with you.

I would love Naby in the starting eleven and feel he adds so much to our team both defending and attacking but Pearce is the captain so if he is fit, Bows is always going to go with him, even if that's not 100% the best decision. You also have the decision of who plays at the base if we play a diamond? Cullen is a brilliant midfielder where sitting at the base suits him so well, but by doing that you most likely leave out Bielik. Now we have Williams, naturally Fosu would drop out due to the sheer class that Williams has, but we know how good Fosu can be when he turns it on, one of the most dangerous in the league. We also haven't seen Maxwell play for us yet, so on that basis, even if he is better than Phillips, he can't be part of the best eleven. I will also include Forster-Caskey because if everyone was fit, he would 100% be in the side.

All in all, here is my go at it...

Phillips
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    Cullen
    Forster-Caskey Aribo
    Williams
    Taylor Grant

Maxwell, Sarr, Purrington, Bielik, Reeves, Fosu, Vetokele

That is extremely harsh on players like Clarke, Pratley, Marshall, Dijksteel, and Lapslie who aren't even included in the squad. It's also very harsh on Sarr, Bielik, Fosu, but also Reeves because I really like him and think he's a good player for us. Just goes to show how we have a very good group of players who should give us a great chance of promotion this season.
  • Options
    Home Games/ Games vs weaker oppo

Phillips
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    Bielik
    Williams Aribo
    Fosu
    Grant Taylor

Away Games/Harder Oppo

Phillips
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    Cullen
    JFC Aribo
    Williams
    Grant Taylor
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Amos Phillips
    Solly Bauer Pearce Da Silva Page
    Bielik
    JFC Aribo
    Fosu
    Grant Taylor

Scrap that, misread. Current....
  • Options
    Amazing how Fosu doesn't get a look in in most peoples 11. Just shows how much Bow has improved the squad this year in midfield. Seems he's struggled with injuries/form/the change of formation though. JFC would definitely make my team, he's a cultured player, such a shame this season was a write off for him.
  • Options

Copied from my comment on match thread

My personal team:
    Maxwell
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    Bielik
    Cullen Aribo
    Williams
    Taylor Grant

Subs:
    Phillips
    Dijksteel, Sarr
    Reeves, Clarke
    Fosu, Igor

This, all day long
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Looking at the Championship table, Blackburn are 14th, while Wigan are 19th, and both were near the 100 point mark last season. That suggests it's quite a big jump from L1 to the Championship now, with all the money being spent
  • Options
    Maxwell
    Solly
    BFG
    Pearce
    Page
    Bielik
    Cullen
    Aribo
    Williams
    Grant
    Taylor

Maxwell In just on the basis he’s a proven championship player.
  • Options
    Maxwell
    Solly
    Bauer
    Pearce
    Purrlington
    Belix
    Aribo
    Cullen
    Williams
    Taylor
    Grant