Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer’s best XI...

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2019

Looking at the Championship table, Blackburn are 14th, while Wigan are 19th, and both were near the 100 point mark last season. That suggests it's quite a big jump from L1 to the Championship now, with all the money being spent

Both Blackburn and Wigan were much higher placed earlier this season.

As injuries and the season's grind takes its toll, maybe they've fallen away as quality of squad depth isn't as good as many other Championship clubs?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Looking at the Championship table, Blackburn are 14th, while Wigan are 19th, and both were near the 100 point mark last season. That suggests it's quite a big jump from L1 to the Championship now, with all the money being spent

As injuries and the season's grind takes its toll, maybe they've fallen away as quality of squad depth isn't as good as many other Championship clubs?

Ah we’ll be fine the - we never suffer with injury issues!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

But then you look at the likes of Will Grigg, who's a top L1 player, but not done it in the Championship, there's a quality gap now as well.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

But then you look at the likes of Will Grigg, who's a top L1 player, but not done it in the Championship, there's a quality gap now as well.
    Maybe. But if international player like Will Grigg was playing in the Championship in a different team, he may do well.
    Different combinations, winning runs, confidence, etc .... too many imponderables for it to be considered otherwise.

• Options

Phillips
    Bauer Pearce Sarr
    Cullen
    Aribo JFC Bielik
    Williams
    Taylor Grant

Subs: Maxwell, Solly, Fosu, Clarke, Lapslie, Page, Marshall

That team would be way too narrow.
    Not really, it's a starting formation for possession, if the other team exploits your flanks push Sarr to Left back and Bielik to right back until you win the ball back. We don't have very good modern day full backs, we have 3 good centre backs, I've gone for the best formation with what we have. By your logic you could also just say 'team is too wide, the other team are gonna run through the middle'

As for who will cut it in the championship when we get promoted. Aribo, Bauer, Naby, Pearce, JFC, Taylor, Grant, Williams and Fosu on his day. Question marks for everyone else, haven't included loans
    Not sure that JFC has enough mobility/defensive quality to cut it the Championship.
    He done alright for Brighton when he played apparently. Either way when everyone is fit he is the best centre mid we have I would say
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Phillips
    Bauer Pearce Sarr
    Cullen
    Aribo JFC Bielik
    Williams
    Taylor Grant

Not really, it's a starting formation for possession, if the other team exploits your flanks push Sarr to Left back and Bielik to right back until you win the ball back. We don't have very good modern day full backs, we have 3 good centre backs, I've gone for the best formation with what we have. By your logic you could also just say 'team is too wide, the other team are gonna run through the middle'

As for who will cut it in the championship when we get promoted. Aribo, Bauer, Naby, Pearce, JFC, Taylor, Grant, Williams and Fosu on his day. Question marks for everyone else, haven't included loans
    Not sure that JFC has enough mobility/defensive quality to cut it the Championship.
    He done alright for Brighton when he played apparently. Either way when everyone is fit he is the best centre mid we have I would say
    I'm not intending this to be provocative, but I'm genuinely interested to find out more about people's thoughts on JFC and why he's often considered by many fans to be our 'stand out' midfielder when fit.

Personally I'd take Cullen, Aribo, Bielik and Williams (early days still) over JFC and consider them to be more accomplished midfielders (albeit different in style/position).

I don't consider him to be a poor midfielder by any stretch of the imagination and feel with the right players around him he could do a job in the Championship, just that we have other options in midfield that I consider to be stronger at the moment.
  • Options
    for me

phillips
    solly bauer pearce page
    cullen
    morgan/reeves aribo
    williams
    taylor grant

subs
    sarr
    morgan/reeves
    lapslie
    bielik
    fosu
    a striker
    maxwell
  • Options

Phillips
    Bauer Pearce Sarr
    Cullen
    Aribo JFC Bielik
    Williams
    Taylor Grant

The team would be wide if you included 4 full backs and 4 wingers. Personally just feel having a 3412, with the 4 all being centre midfielders wouldn’t work.
  • Options
    Tricky now with the loan players and injuries healing what we look like full strength, here’s how I make it;

Phillips,
    Matthews, Lockyer, Sarr, Purrington 
    Green, Cullen, Davis, Doughty 
    Williams
    Taylor

Harsh on Pearce, Pratley, Field and Bonne perhaps.  
    At full strength I don’t see Forster-Caskey, Oztumer or Hemed making the bench.
    Also see McGeady being key coming off the bench to make something happen when we can’t nick a goal. 
  • Options
    For me its...

Phillips
    Matthews | Lockyer | Sarr or Pearce | Purrington
    Cullen | Pratley | Davis
    Williams
    Bonne | Taylor

Bonne is still our joint top scorer so deserves to be starting
    Williams of course wont play every game which is why its perfect to have McGeady and Oztumer
    Sarr / Pearce alongside Lockyer depending on the type of team we're playing
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For me its...

Phillips
    Cullen | Pratley | Davis
    Williams
    Bonne | Taylor

Williams of course wont play every game which is why its perfect to have McGeady and Oztumer
    Agreed with regards to Pearce/Sarr, I think there’s probably more games which I’d prefer Sarr though.
  • Options
    Slightly tangential but I’m intrigued to hear views on how many of those would cut it in the Championship if we did sneak up.
    Including loanees Goalkeepers: Maxwell Defence: Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Sarr | Bielik ... (Question mark over Page | Purrington) Midfield: Forster-Caskey | Cullen | Aribo | Williams ... (Question mark over Lapslie | Fosu | Dijksteel | Reeves) Strikers: Taylor | Grant Pratley I think is too old for that level now Morgan would benefit a loan deal to League One yet will be good enough for the Championship one day Edit: Of course when I raise question marks about Lasplie | Dijksteel etc. they're again both players that'll maybe struggle to begin with, I dont think a loan deal will be beneficial to them by going back to League One yet will have decent games in the Championship but will lack consistency at times

Slightly tangential but I’m intrigued to hear views on how many of those would cut it in the Championship if we did sneak up.
    Including loanees Goalkeepers: Maxwell Defence: Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Sarr | Bielik ... (Question mark over Page | Purrington) Midfield: Forster-Caskey | Cullen | Aribo | Williams ... (Question mark over Lapslie | Fosu | Dijksteel | Reeves) Strikers: Taylor | Grant Pratley I think is too old for that level now Morgan would benefit a loan deal to League One yet will be good enough for the Championship one day Edit: Of course when I raise question marks about Lasplie | Dijksteel etc. they're again both players that'll maybe struggle to begin with, I dont think a loan deal will be beneficial to them by going back to League One yet will have decent games in the Championship but will lack consistency at times
    Nice to see Pratley proving you and us lot wrong hey mate 🖒
  • Options

Nice to see Pratley proving you and us lot wrong hey mate 🖒
    Yeah he's really made a lot of us look like mugs!! - Just relieved I didnt post that original comment much latter than January last year
  • Options
    It's a tough call, especially as we haven't seen what Davis and McGeady can do, in particular. Best wait a few weeks and see who beds in the best.
  • Options
    For me its...

Phillips
    Cullen | Pratley | Davis
    Williams
    Bonne | Taylor

Would be happy with that though I'd still like to try Doughty at left back. Think he's improving defensively and obviously offers so much going forward. Would be a risk though I guess so couldn't see Bowyer doing it. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    For me its...

Phillips
    Cullen | Pratley | Davis
    Williams
    Bonne | Taylor

Would be happy with that though I'd still like to try Doughty at left back. Think he's improving defensively and obviously offers so much going forward. Would be a risk though I guess so couldn't see Bowyer doing it. 
    I agree. Not been impressed with Purrington this season and Doughty would give us some decent width going forward which is lacking with a diamond. Purrington just for me though, he’s still a decent player. 
  • Options
    For me its...

Phillips
    Cullen | Pratley | Davis
    Williams
    Bonne | Taylor

Same as me. Only concern with that team is the huge reliance on the front two for goals. Stick Gallagher in for Davis and I genuinely believe it would finish top 10. 

That team would be difficult to break down and would be reliant on a chunk of clean sheets. I would love JFC to find some form as he is capable of popping up with a goal 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    It's a tough call, especially as we haven't seen what Davis and McGeady can do, in particular. Best wait a few weeks and see who beds in the best.
    They won't find it comfortable, all the beds round here are wet, moist at best ;-) 
  • Options
    The current league table a year later rather backs up that comment. All 3 promoted sides currently in the bottom 6

Of our team from last year (ignoring youngsters)

Dillon and Lyle have really stepped up to the extent that a move to the PL isn't off the radar
    Pratley has shown why he's played most of his career at Championship level
    Williams has looked very comfortable as he too has played most of his career at Championship level
    Cullen (loanee) has stepped up to look very comfortable
    Pearce and Sarr look reasonable at this level
    Solly and Purrington have been adequate but not brilliant
    JFC hasn't played enough to establish himself

• Options
    Talal said:
    For me its...

Phillips
    Cullen | Pratley | Davis
    Williams
    Bonne | Taylor

I agree. Not been impressed with Purrington this season and Doughty would give us some decent width going forward which is lacking with a diamond. Purrington just for me though, he’s still a decent player. 
    Thing with Ben Purrington ........ he played well enough as a conventional flat back four LB in our 'great start' games before the injury curse struck - then playing despite carrying an injury himself and plainly struggling, before missing games as a result.

When he was just about fit enough to be picked again, we ended up playing 3 CBs and wingbacks, key players were missing and he was getting exposed and doubled up on. Our results were on the floor and so was his confidence.

"Purrington is crap", shouted everybody. Even his manager thought so during the QPR game and hooked him after just 28 minutes.
    It's a funny thing that there's a saying in football, "You're only as good as your last game" ...... totally forgetting that Steady Eddie was a cornerstone of our promotion team, scored our equaliser at Wembley and started the new season where he'd left off.

After his QPR nadir, our Ben came back into the side away at Swansea - and must have been close to MoM. That showed resolve and a good attitude.
    He's been solid enough in other appearances since - although with the emergence of Doughty, no longer has to fear the wingback role.

Purrington isn't a wing back, is he? :smile: But he's a decent enough LB in a '4 at the back' team and with a proper strength midfield in front of him. 
    We can also see that most footballer's are confidence players. And without it they are a shadow of the player they were.

I think we've still to see plenty of Ben Purrington this season.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Talal said:
    For me its...

Phillips
    Cullen | Pratley | Davis
    Williams
    Bonne | Taylor

Thing with Ben Purrington ........ he played well enough as a conventional flat back four LB in our 'great start' games before the injury curse struck - then playing despite carrying an injury himself and plainly struggling, before missing games as a result.

When he was just about fit enough to be picked again, we ended up playing 3 CBs and wingbacks, key players were missing and he was getting exposed and doubled up on. Our results were on the floor and so was his confidence.

"Purrington is crap", shouted everybody. Even his manager thought so during the QPR game and hooked him after just 28 minutes.
    It's a funny thing that there's a saying in football, "You're only as good as your last game" ...... totally forgetting that Steady Eddie was a cornerstone of our promotion team, scored our equaliser at Wembley and started the new season where he'd left off.

After his QPR nadir, our Ben came back into the side away at Swansea - and must have been close to MoM. That showed resolve and a good attitude.
    He's been solid enough in other appearances since - although with the emergence of Doughty, no longer has to fear the wingback role.

Purrington isn't a wing back, is he? :smile: But he's a decent enough LB in a '4 at the back' team and with a proper strength midfield in front of him. 
    We can also see that most footballer's are confidence players. And without it they are a shadow of the player they were.

It’s a numbers thing with full backs, anyone who’s played the game will particularly in that position will tell you.  

If you’ve a decent midfield/attack that retains the ball it’s ten times easier.  If you’re attacked as a fullback 5 times in a game chances are you’ll do your job fairly well, if you’re attacked 50 times in a game you’re gonna get caught a few times/beaten/lapse in concentration and do something irrational.  

Purrington’s form dipped when the injuries crisis was at its peak, he’s really not that bad at all. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Tough, especially formation wise.

I think at home

Phillips
    Matthews Lockyer Sarr Purrington
    Cullen Pratley/Davis/Field Williams
    McGeady
    Bonne Taylor

Away 

Phillips
    Lockyer Pearce Naby
    Matthews Davis Cullen Field Doughty
    Taylor Bonne

Quite difficult really, I still don't really know what formation Bowyer likes, last season it was the diamond, this season has been wing backs in a back 5.

All I know is right now, Phillips, Matthews, Lockyer, Cullen, Williams, Taylor and based on previous form Bonne are all undroppable

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Talal said:
    For me its...

Phillips
    Cullen | Pratley | Davis
    Williams
    Bonne | Taylor

It’s a numbers thing with full backs, anyone who’s played the game will particularly in that position will tell you.  

If you’ve a decent midfield/attack that retains the ball it’s ten times easier.  If you’re attacked as a fullback 5 times in a game chances are you’ll do your job fairly well, if you’re attacked 50 times in a game you’re gonna get caught a few times/beaten/lapse in concentration and do something irrational.  

Purrington’s form dipped when the injuries crisis was at its peak, he’s really not that bad at all. 
    BR7_addick .......  towards the end of my own playing days, I went from midfielder to full back, which gave me a new lease of life and plenty of defensive experience.

As you were saying, the more pressure you're under, especially when opponents are running through your midfield, the more chance of error - or sometimes just plain misfortune, ricochet, etc.

But the biggest problem is when your team is caught on the turnover, with no cover you're exposed and doubled up on, teams can pass around you. And that's been half of Purrington's problem this season.

• Options

I think at home

Phillips
    McGeady
    Bonne Taylor

Away 

Phillips
    Lockyer Pearce Naby
    Taylor Bonne

Quite difficult really, I still don't really know what formation Bowyer likes, last season it was the diamond, this season has been wing backs in a back 5.

All I know is right now, Phillips, Matthews, Lockyer, Cullen, Williams, Taylor and based on previous form Bonne are all undroppable

Williams undroppable, but you drop him when we are away??
    Yeah, probs should have said starting at home, considering we are in survival mode and so many teams are better than us we can't over use him 
  • Options
    I don't think Bowyer ever fielded the team he wanted to after the last window shut, for what ever reason.   I don't think Gallagher was in it. 

He might this time and I don't think it's been mentioned yet. 
  • Options

I think at home

Phillips
    McGeady
    Bonne Taylor

Away 

Phillips
    Lockyer Pearce Naby
    Taylor Bonne

Williams undroppable, but you drop him when we are away??
    Yeah, probs should have said starting at home, considering we are in survival mode and so many teams are better than us we can't over use him 
    I guess that's why McGeady was brought in. Bow wants someone who can replace Williams when he gets hooked after 60 minutes or sometimes start for him and give him the chance to come on as an impact sub. 
  • Options
    Bowyer rates McGeady very highly and I think he will start more than he sits out when fit. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    If we're talking about the best we've had under Bowyer:

GK: Maxwell
    RB: Matthews (Solly at his best was better but he hasn't been at his best for some time)
    CB: Bauer
    CB: Sarr
    LB: Purrington (Page is a better player but he could break down 2s into the game so is too high a risk)
    Midfield: Most likely in a diamond but this lot are good enough to play any combination
    Bielik, Cullen, Gallagher, Williams 
    Forwards: Taylor, Grant

Subs: 
    Phillips
    Dijksteel, Lockyer
    Aribo, Pratley (this might be Davis when we've seen him play)
    Fosu, Igor

If it's who we've got now:

Phillips
    Matthews, Lockyer, Sarr, Purrington
    Cullen, Williams, Pratley/Davis, Green
    Taylor, Bonne

Subs: 
    Amos
    Field, Hemed, McGeady, Oztumer, Davis/Pratley, Doughty
  • Options
    If we're talking about the best we've had under Bowyer:

GK: Maxwell
    RB: Matthews (Solly at his best was better but he hasn't been at his best for some time)
    CB: Bauer
    CB: Sarr
    LB: Purrington (Page is a better player but he could break down 2s into the game so is too high a risk)
    Midfield: Most likely in a diamond but this lot are good enough to play any combination
    Bielik, Cullen, Gallagher, Williams 
    Forwards: Taylor, Grant

Subs: 
    Phillips
    Dijksteel, Lockyer
    Aribo, Pratley (this might be Davis when we've seen him play)
    Fosu, Igor

If it's who we've got now:

Phillips
    Matthews, Lockyer, Sarr, Purrington
    Cullen, Williams, Pratley/Davis, Green
    Taylor, Bonne

Subs: 
    Amos
    Field, Hemed, McGeady, Oztumer, Davis/Pratley, Doughty
    You would choose Maxwell ahead of Phillips if we had both now?