Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holidays 2019

Comments

• Options
    Can highly recommend Montenegro; some great apartments on Morinj and Perast is really lovely. Scenery is stunning  and it is very understated and nowhere near as expensive as Italy or other countries nearby
    Yes, can't agree more.

The wife and I spent 4 nights in a Perast apartment last year after driving down the Dalmation coast.

Got my photo opportunity with Sasa as a bonus.

• Options
    So because of TC going bump didn’t go to Egypt. Ended up in Paphos, Cyprus. Currently round the pool with my Charlton towel on show (There is a Gillingham towel also out, not mine) any recommendations on things to do/see here over the next two weeks. Weather is a glorious 29. 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    We've recently had a week's all inclusive in Marmaris, Turkey. We've been to Turkey three times before this visit and always had a lovely holiday. However, you can keep Marmaris. There wasn't much we liked apart from relaxing by the hotel pool. Outside the hotel is nothing but hassle from the local business owners. More than anywhere else we have stayed. The shop owners in the Grand Bazaar area would literally stand in your way and try and herd you into their shop.

We had under cooked food in our hotel, The Grand Pasa, as well as several glasses with lipstick around the rim from both the restaurant and the bar. The pool attendant must be the richest person there as he goes around the pool throwing towels that previous guests have left behind over the sunbeds. They then appear reserved. When he sees guests looking for a sunbed, he quickly removes the tools as if doing them a favour and receives a nice tip for doing so!

We won't go back to Marmaris again and we wouldn't recommend it. A very narrow and overcrowded beach too.
  • Options
    We've recently had a week's all inclusive in Marmaris, Turkey. We've been to Turkey three times before this visit and always had a lovely holiday. However, you can keep Marmaris. There wasn't much we liked apart from relaxing by the hotel pool. Outside the hotel is nothing but hassle from the local business owners. More than anywhere else we have stayed. The shop owners in the Grand Bazaar area would literally stand in your way and try and herd you into their shop.

We had under cooked food in our hotel, The Grand Pasa, as well as several glasses with lipstick around the rim from both the restaurant and the bar. The pool attendant must be the richest person there as he goes around the pool throwing towels that previous guests have left behind over the sunbeds. They then appear reserved. When he sees guests looking for a sunbed, he quickly removes the tools as if doing them a favour and receives a nice tip for doing so!

We won't go back to Marmaris again and we wouldn't recommend it. A very narrow and overcrowded beach too.
    Try Olu Denez instead. 
    A much better resort imo.
  • Options
    Anyone been Belek in turkey?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Anyone been Belek in turkey?
    Went there a couple of years ago but didn’t really venture too far from the hotel. Stayed at the Voyage, which was lovely but if I’m honest, I’m not a huge fan of Turkey as a destination. 

My FIL plays golf over there a lot and rates it.
  • Options
    I've been to Belek many times. 

The Gloria resorts are absolutely unreal.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    the hotels there, look on a different level to Spain. The Voyage looks good and was fully refurbished last winter. 
  • Options
    Another recommendation for Gloria resorts in Belek, excellent facilities and food/drink is quality for all inclusive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, we stayed at the Letoonia Golf Resort. We only ventured out once though.
  • Options
    Side is nice; hotel was a nice walk from the centre. And the stall holders/shop keepers were considerably more restrained compared to elsewhere
  • Options
    We're heading back out to LA just after Christmas to spend some time with one of my wife's best friends and her husband, with NYE in Las Vegas.
    (So much for booking a 4-5hr flight somewhere warm to break our 6 month old daughter into flying on a plane before we venture out to Japan in March!)

When we done the West Coast in 2016, we started with them in LA, before heading up the PCH to Santa Barbara, Monterrey and San Francisco before picking up a RV to do Napa, Lake Tahoe then heading back through Yosemite and Death Valley to spend the last part in Vegas.  We was in LA for pretty much 48hrs first time round, and our friends gave us an awesome guided tour by car around Hollywood and Beverley Hills and we rode from Marina Del Rey to Santa Monica and back by bike.  Seen the Hollywood sign, Walk of Fame and all of that.  So has anyone got any good suggestions as to what are the must sees in LA and surrounding areas?  We are there for 2 weeks.  Not sure we can be bothered with Disneyland and Universal Studios.

We are going back to Santa Barbara as its one of the prettiest places we've seen and spend a couple of days there as we literally only stayed one night there before.  I dont think we'll head any further North than Santa Barbara.  We're also going to go down to San Diego for a couple of days.

Open to everyone's suggestions.
  • Options
    Bin it off and go to the Canaries.
    Average temperature of 2-7 degrees apparently.
  • Options
    Been to the Canaries in November and March, both times hot enough to laze around the pool.
  • Options

Just booked a night in Arras in December for the Xmas markets.

If I can remember half of the stories @SE7toSG3 regaled is with in July, my family are in for a treat!

• Options
    I am wasted here, or just not at all funny.
  • Options
    Bin it off and go to the Canaries.
    Average temperature of 2-7 degrees apparently.
    We're not overly bothered by the weather in all honesty.  If we wanted sun, we'd have gone back to Dubai or the Caribbean or something like that.
    Its more about going to spend some time with my wife's friend and her husband.  We couldn't turn down their invite to their NYE party in Vegas again!

We've got minimal accommodation costs and the flights are through my wife's Virgin Atlantic Gold membership due to her clocking up the miles going to the US and India for work.  The three of us couldn't get out to the Canaries for how much the flights are costing us.

• Options
    Just thought being a Tottenham supporter, trying to get the midweek result into a holiday thread was worth a point :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    FFS, I was up 4 times last night with Little Bubbs.  I've got Baby Brain!
  • Options
    Just thought being a Tottenham supporter, trying to get the midweek result into a holiday thread was worth a point :-)
    Haha, you absolute b*stard.  Didn't even notice that, straight over my Baby brain f*cked head! lol
  • Options
    @JohnBoyUK San Diego is great, head out to Coronado and La Jolla if you get a chance. Also just outside LA is six flags theme park if you don’t wanna do Disney/universal, it’s decent 
  • Options
    Tenerife, 5 nights, 10th November 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    We're heading back out to LA just after Christmas to spend some time with one of my wife's best friends and her husband, with NYE in Las Vegas.
    (So much for booking a 4-5hr flight somewhere warm to break our 6 month old daughter into flying on a plane before we venture out to Japan in March!)

When we done the West Coast in 2016, we started with them in LA, before heading up the PCH to Santa Barbara, Monterrey and San Francisco before picking up a RV to do Napa, Lake Tahoe then heading back through Yosemite and Death Valley to spend the last part in Vegas.  We was in LA for pretty much 48hrs first time round, and our friends gave us an awesome guided tour by car around Hollywood and Beverley Hills and we rode from Marina Del Rey to Santa Monica and back by bike.  Seen the Hollywood sign, Walk of Fame and all of that.  So has anyone got any good suggestions as to what are the must sees in LA and surrounding areas?  We are there for 2 weeks.  Not sure we can be bothered with Disneyland and Universal Studios.

We are going back to Santa Barbara as its one of the prettiest places we've seen and spend a couple of days there as we literally only stayed one night there before.  I dont think we'll head any further North than Santa Barbara.  We're also going to go down to San Diego for a couple of days.

I hitch hiked in LA once.  

Well actually i was young, drunk, stumbled out of a club, opened the passenger door of a car waiting at the lights, got in, asked them to drive me home.  I survived but would not recommend it!
  • Options
    Off to Tenerife early doors Saturday morning for a bit of warmer weather, temp showing 28c all week while we are there so can’t be bad.
  • Options
    Off to Tenerife early doors Saturday morning for a bit of warmer weather, temp showing 28c all week while we are there so can’t be bad.
    I’ve been in December & January, always decent 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

You have seen all worth seeing IMHO John. LA isn't all that once you have done the obvious. Talking to an American friend just yesterday (bought up in California) and he agreed. Frisco and San Diego have a lot more going for them as far as he is concerned. Sure you will have a blast anyway.   
  • Options
    @JohnBoyUK go for a hike in LA...get's you out of the city and up into the hills, where you can look back down and see it all laid out before you... Good workout with a little one strapped to your back.. If you don't fancy that, then Griffith Observatory is quite good for an hour or so (and you can try and remember all the films it's been in) and it also has great views across the city (smog allowing)...  A walk from your friends, all the way thru Venice and up to Santa Monica along the beach will take a while, let the little one sleep in a buggy etc and you'll get to pretend you really could do the yoga and the workouts that everyone is doing along the beach (weather permitting)...I think it's 3rd or 6th St in Santa Monica that is pedestrianised and has all the shops too...  Otherwise, am fairly sure your friends will have some ideas ;-)
  • Options
    @JohnBoyUK go for a hike in LA...get's you out of the city and up into the hills, where you can look back down and see it all laid out before you... Good workout with a little one strapped to your back.. If you don't fancy that, then Griffith Observatory is quite good for an hour or so (and you can try and remember all the films it's been in) and it also has great views across the city (smog allowing)...  A walk from your friends, all the way thru Venice and up to Santa Monica along the beach will take a while, let the little one sleep in a buggy etc and you'll get to pretend you really could do the yoga and the workouts that everyone is doing along the beach (weather permitting)...I think it's 3rd or 6th St in Santa Monica that is pedestrianised and has all the shops too...  Otherwise, am fairly sure your friends will have some ideas ;-)
    The hiking sounds right up our street tbh with you.  We've already started looking up some walking routes for us to do while we're there.  In the old days, would have taken the running shoes to run along Venice Beach but injury has put paid to that joy now.  Sadly looks like our friends will be working for the majority of the time we are there, so we're going to be at our own devices during the daytime which gives us a load of freedom.

You have seen all worth seeing IMHO John. LA isn't all that once you have done the obvious. Talking to an American friend just yesterday (bought up in California) and he agreed. Frisco and San Diego have a lot more going for them as far as he is concerned. Sure you will have a blast anyway.   
    And you know what, we pretty much thought that the last time we was there too.  LA was the worst part of our entire trip last time round.  Thats why we're desperate to get back to Santa Barbara and San Diego.  Going to check out San Bernadinho and Joshua Tree National Park too.  Didn't see it last time round and will have a giggle trying to recreate the old U2 album cover!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!