Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holidays 2019

Comments

• This is in the very early stages of planning – where in conjunction with Sydney would make a worthwhile 10 days in Oz? Somewhere more rural but with good public transport would be ideal, so I guess north or south along the coast? I’d like to fit in Tasmania and/or Melbourne but I think making the most of NSW would be the best use of our short time. Thanks.

• RedPanda said:

This is in the very early stages of planning – where in conjunction with Sydney would make a worthwhile 10 days in Oz? Somewhere more rural but with good public transport would be ideal, so I guess north or south along the coast? I’d like to fit in Tasmania and/or Melbourne but I think making the most of NSW would be the best use of our short time. Thanks.

Sydney is a vibrant city and in my view, you need  an absolute minimum of 4 days to cover all the sites. Sydney Harbour Bridge is worth climbing (but expensive) and visits to Darling Harbour, Manly Beach and Bondi Beach are a must, as is the harbour area around the Sydney Opera House.

Have been twice to Melbourne, which is a lovely city, but not much there for travellers with limited time 

You may wish to consider flying up to Cairns or staying at Port Douglas, both of which are close for connections to the Great Barrier Reef - my best recommendation for Oz. You may also consider a day at Ayers Rock, but again it is a plane journey away from anywhere. Enjoy.
  • PeterGage said:
    clb74 said:
    Going on Caribbean cruise
    Stopping at 
    Barbados, st lucia, antigua and st kitts.
    Has anyone on here ever gone off and done there own thing rather than the cruise liner excursions.
    Cheers 
    In Barbados, I went down in a submarine, whilst my wife swam with turtles; both recommended. 

In Antigua, we went to a long and arched beach where I watched the local fishermen bringing in their local catch via a long drift net; sorry, cant remember the name of the beach. 

We're going in January, so keeping an eye out for any tips
  • RedPanda said:

This is in the very early stages of planning – where in conjunction with Sydney would make a worthwhile 10 days in Oz? Somewhere more rural but with good public transport would be ideal, so I guess north or south along the coast? I’d like to fit in Tasmania and/or Melbourne but I think making the most of NSW would be the best use of our short time. Thanks.

Minimum four days in Sydney, more preferably, then why not hire a car and drive up the coast towards Brisbane and Surfers Paradise. Can always detour and go inland a bit to explore. A bit further north The Glasshouse Mountains are worth exploring. In my opinion if you start catching planes to far flung places you will waste too much time travelling in your very limited time there.
  • Going to Cape Verde next Wednesday for 8 days, cannot wait for some winter sun! Anyone that has been is the quad-biking worth doing?
    We were thinking about booking a week in Cape Verde in March; so will be interested to hear how you get on and what your hotel is like? Which one are you going to?
  • edited November 2019
    RedPanda said:

Recommend a day excursion to the Blue Mountains while in Sydney.
    Domestic flight to Ayers Rock for a couple of nights is well worth it. 
    Personally, I prefer Melbourne to Sydney, but there’s less actual ‘sights’ here and more an enjoyable all-round experience of cafes, street art, parks etc (although some superb museums here if of interest. There used to be a great Ned Kelly exhibition in the library, not sure if still there).
    Otherwise, heading up the east coast from Sydney towards Great Barrier Reef is a good idea. Spend few days on one of the islands, relax and with some snorkelling (or diving if it’s your thing).
  • PeterGage said:
    RedPanda said:

Sydney is a vibrant city and in my view, you need  an absolute minimum of 4 days to cover all the sites. Sydney Harbour Bridge is worth climbing (but expensive) and visits to Darling Harbour, Manly Beach and Bondi Beach are a must, as is the harbour area around the Sydney Opera House.

Have been twice to Melbourne, which is a lovely city, but not much there for travellers with limited time 

You may wish to consider flying up to Cairns or staying at Port Douglas, both of which are close for connections to the Great Barrier Reef - my best recommendation for Oz. You may also consider a day at Ayers Rock, but again it is a plane journey away from anywhere. Enjoy.
    Blue Mountains
  • RedPanda said:

Minimum four days in Sydney, more preferably, then why not hire a car and drive up the coast towards Brisbane and Surfers Paradise. Can always detour and go inland a bit to explore. A bit further north The Glasshouse Mountains are worth exploring. In my opinion if you start catching planes to far flung places you will waste too much time travelling in your very limited time there.
    Totally agree Neil re limiting internal air travel, however (my opinion), travelling to Cairns for the Great Barrier Reef is fully worthwhile. Each to his/her own, of course.
  • PeterGage said:
    RedPanda said:

Totally agree Neil re limiting internal air travel, however (my opinion), travelling to Cairns for the Great Barrier Reef is fully worthwhile. Each to his/her own, of course.
    I didn't like Cairns very much but loved Port Douglas, Cape Tribulation and the Kuranda railway
  • PeterGage said:
    RedPanda said:

I didn't like Cairns very much but loved Port Douglas, Cape Tribulation and the Kuranda railway
    Agreed Port Douglas is far better than Cairns, but we flew into the latter and used it as stepping stone to the Great Barrier Reef.
  • Sponsored links:

• decent weekend in York - was a glorified pub crawl but very friendly people and no knobheads - which is always nice. 
  • Abu Dhabi next year
  • Going to Cape Verde next Wednesday for 8 days, cannot wait for some winter sun! Anyone that has been is the quad-biking worth doing?
    We were thinking about booking a week in Cape Verde in March; so will be interested to hear how you get on and what your hotel is like? Which one are you going to?
    https://www.firstchoice.co.uk/holiday/accommodation/overview/Boa-Vista/Hotel-Riu-Touareg-042051?im_id=PPC&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImYHQuJeP5gIVRLDtCh12Sw5vEAAYASAAEgLcsfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds this is the one we are going to, all inclusive with flights for 8 days was £625 per person which I think is a bit of a bargain! I'll be sure to let you know how it is
  • Arrived in Mauritius 2 days ago... This place really is paradise
  • edited December 2019
    CAFCsayer said:
    Arrived in Mauritius 2 days ago... This place really is paradise
    The holiday centres on the beach are indeed, paradise. But like many Caribbean Islands, the interior, particularly Port Louis, the capital, has its share of slums and high pollution from the old buses.

@CAFCsayer, you may wish to walk with lions (untethered) at a site on the south end of Mauritius.
  • half a work day left and then to Cape Verde, I hope the other hotel goers & staff are prepared for me in my budgie smugglers! https://budgysmuggleruk.com/collections/mens-swimwear/products/pelicanoes
  • PeterGage said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    The holiday centres on the beach are indeed, paradise. But like many Caribbean Islands, the interior, particularly Port Louis, the capital, has its share of slums and high pollution from the old buses.

@CAFCsayer, you may wish to walk with lions (untethered) at a site on the south end of Mauritius.
    Enjoy CAFC lovely place and I can second the walking with the lions experience as per Peter's comments, fantastic experience where I really did "pull the lions tail"
  • Got back from Cape Verde last night, work has been a real struggle this morning! A great place for some winter sun, it was 26-28 degrees every day. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere but was excellent value 
  •  PeterGage said:
    CAFCsayer said:

Walking with Lions ... an unforgettable experience. I now only have one leg 

• edited December 2019

• Sponsored links:

• Anyone been to Rovaniemi/Lapland?

Not for this year, but considering it in the next couple of years while the kids are young enough to believe in Santa but old enough to put up with the cold etc.

Seems very expensive to book a package whereas flights and an Airbnb actually seem OK in November time but I'm interested how much the husky/reindeer rides etc are out there is you do book yourself.  Food/drink too.

Ask me in a couple of weeks mate. I head there soon.  Going with a tour operator but staying an hour outside Rouvenemi.  They do huskey/reindeer experiences but they only last a few mins so I have booked separately with these for longer goes : 

http://en.kairankutsu.kotisivukone.com/15

Pay when I get there. They did not even want a deposit!
  • RedPanda said:

Blue mountains are nice.  For the time you have the east coast is likely your best bet.  Always wanted to go to Wilsons Promontory down near Melbourne and Great Ocean Road between Melbourne and Adelaide is good but too far in your time line.  The likes of Cairns are only worth the trip if you have the time and desire to go to the great barrier reef as not a lot to see or do in the town itself and you would need to fly.
  • Anyone been to Rovaniemi/Lapland?

Not for this year, but considering it in the next couple of years while the kids are young enough to believe in Santa but old enough to put up with the cold etc.

Seems very expensive to book a package whereas flights and an Airbnb actually seem OK in November time but I'm interested how much the husky/reindeer rides etc are out there is you do book yourself.  Food/drink too.

Ask me in a couple of weeks mate. I head there soon.  Going with a tour operator but staying an hour outside Rouvenemi.  They do huskey/reindeer experiences but they only last a few mins so I have booked separately with these for longer goes : 

http://en.kairankutsu.kotisivukone.com/15

Pay when I get there. They did not even want a deposit!
    Cheers mate, would be interested on how you get on etc.

My eldest is starting to question Santa this year so actually thinking it could be an idea for next winter to save the magic for another year, but worried how expensive it could be for only 2 or 3 days once everything is added together etc.
  • Oh and hope you have a lovely time!
  • Leaving first thing tomorrow to stay in Arras over the weekend for the Christmas market. Really can't wait.
  • Back down to Cornwall on Monday for 4 x nights in a log cabin with Christmas lunch in a local restaurant, my daughter and her family will be in the log cabin next to us so no doubt the grand kids will have us up at some god awful hour on Christmas day ( I love it really)
  • Back down to Cornwall on Monday for 4 x nights in a log cabin with Christmas lunch in a local restaurant, my daughter and her family will be in the log cabin next to us so no doubt the grand kids will have us up at some god awful hour on Christmas day ( I love it really)

Sounds great (I've got Wham's Last Christmas video in my mind now)
    Sounds lovely! 
  • edited December 2019
    Just got back from Goa, really enjoyed it, but I was due back Tuesday morning, but the windscreen was damaged on the Dreamliner on the way to Goa and waited nearly 3 days to fix. Tui put us in a 5 star hotel, full board, so we had to slum it for three days, it is a tough world.  :)

While on the beach, I was asked to dine in one of the local bars by a man wearing a Palace shirt...........no I did not
  • ross1 said:
    Just got back from Goa, really enjoyed it, but I was due back Tuesday morning, but the windscreen was damaged on the Dreamliner on the way to Goa and waited nearly 3 days to fix. Tui put us in a 5 star hotel, full board, so we had to slum it for three days, it is a tough world.  :)

While on the beach, I was asked to dine in one of the local bars by a man wearing a Palace shirt...........no I did not
    Glad you enjoyed yourself. 
    Goa is bonkers at times but I love it.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!