Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Drones at Gatwick

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:

What I’m finding strange is that considering the high level of news coverage on this, plus the thousands of people stranded in and around the airport - there hasn’t been a single video/picture of said drone?

Gatwick is vast. And flat. You could drive around Charlwood or up the Gatwick Straight and see very little. Plus, if you pull over in those areas on a normal day, you’re probably going to get moved on fairly quickly. The last thing I would recommend right now is parking up and waving a phone around in those areas!

• Options
    clb74 said:

Looks like I'm the only one who thinks there's more to this.

Absolutely not.
  • Options
    And now as this fiasco enters a third day, they've finally decided 'oh let's shoot it out of the sky'.

"Det Ch Supt Jason Tingley said police were re-evaluating plans for armed officers to shoot the drone down after other methods failed.

The measure was initially dismissed over the risk posed by "stray bullets", but became a "tactical option" again after other methods failed, the detective said."
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    A conspiracy? I hear Elvis is flying it.

Some of you think too much.
  • Options

Media don't seem to have picked up on this yet. Gatwick website departure board showing boarding gate open for various flights.
  • Options

From BBC website

The force previously said they "did not want to shoot the drones because of the risk from stray bullets".

I am sorry but the Military are involved in this if they are worried they cant hit the damn thing and there will be stray bullets they we would be fucked in a war

Also it’s illegal to shoot a drone out of the sky, as it’s deemed an aircraft.
  • Options

From BBC website

The force previously said they "did not want to shoot the drones because of the risk from stray bullets".

I am sorry but the Military are involved in this if they are worried they cant hit the damn thing and there will be stray bullets they we would be fucked in a war

Also it’s illegal to shoot a drone out of the sky, as it’s deemed an aircraft.
    Surely the armed forces are perfectly entitled to shoot an aircraft out of the sky?
  • Options

From BBC website

No safe backstop so they won't take a shot. Firing a rifle into the air goes against every safety rule there is. Where does the round go once it passes through a drone? And that's if they're good enough to hit it.

• Options

I blame Jeremy Corbyn. Why not?

Au contraire, obviously Mrs May's doing to take people's minds of the cock-up she's making of us leaving the EU.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Police saying that shooting it down would just be too dangerous. I’m no expert and have to accept that explanation but it seems odd to me that a special or even not so special marksman with a suitable weapon ought to be able to shoot down a drone.

I’m sure someone with greater knowledge will be able to tell me I’m wrong.

It's the risk of ricochets apparently.
    4" HE wouldn't ricochet off a drone. Might get a bit of shrapnel falling to earth, mind.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My flight back was cancelled this morning. Now stuck in MILAN with excited kids and stressed wife. Managed to get on flight tomorrow morning but I am starting to worry about that flight and not getting to Valley on Saturday.

I can see the headlines now.

DRONES AT GATWICK REDUCE VALLEY ATTENDANCE BY ONE.

Seriously, though, I hope you get back safely and as quickly as possible.
  • Options

From BBC website

You should try thinking, before posting.
  • Options
    rumours its some sort of ecowarrior types, if so find them and send them on a plane preferably strapped to the front of one, a serious punishment must be given when found.
  • Options
    Until they catch them, they/we won't know who they are. Protesters usually issue some sort of statement so people know its a protest!
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Just listening to Nick Ferrari interviewing the lead policeman. Farcical. It's like Monty Python or Alan Partridge!

Or an episode of Black Mirror
  • Options

I'm no mastermind, but drones are small, whereas a Boeing 747 is bleeding massive. If a drone collided with a plane, the wrst that could happen is a bit of a scratch to the paint on the bodywork.
    Perhaps if Ryan air, BA and Virgin could stop being so precious, the odd plane could fly.

WTF!!!.

• Options
    The risk is there, even though it is a small one.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

From BBC website

Wait you think every bullet hits it’s target during a battle?
    Too much CoD, I think
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2018
    IdleHans said:

I'm no expert* but couldnt they send up another drone with a small explosive charge attached and detonate it when it's close, assuming it's over the empty airport grounds?

* to be clear, i know fuck all about anything

Heat seeking missile should do the trick 😈
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    IdleHans said:

I'm no expert* but couldnt they send up another drone with a small explosive charge attached and detonate it when it's close, assuming it's over the empty airport grounds?

These things move fast and with incredible agility. With that in mind, trying to get close enough to a another drone being controlled by somebody remotely would be nigh on impossible.

The solution is some form of jamming the control signals without affecting other systems and I'm sure that's what the Army did last night. Chris Grayling on the radio this morning was very deliberate in saying he couldn't talk about what the Army used.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

IdleHans said:

These things move fast and with incredible agility. With that in mind, trying to get close enough to a another drone being controlled by somebody remotely would be nigh on impossible.
    To be fair Bob IH did add the caveat that he knows FA about anything 😉.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

bobmunro said:

IdleHans said:

To be fair Bob IH did add the caveat that he knows FA about anything 😉.
    This point was noted but I was being polite :)
  • Options
    Gatwick now open. No drones found & no operator located.....but happy to get back to normal.

So wtf has changed since yesterday ?? Nothing. I smell a big stinking rat.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk8_QomqSt4
  • Options

It is incredible the judgement wasn't made that this was an army job at the beginning. The Police have a role in trying to find out who did it!