Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2019

Comments

• Options
    Rock the Kasbah is well weighted and has won over a variety of distances .. might have Johnson on board who is well overdue a G N win
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    PaddyP17 said:
    So is Abolitionist the only one you have marked out thus far, PM?

I can't make head nor tail of it this year, bar an "obvious" Tiger Roll argument, and I suspect the flu rules are making it a tad more difficult.

Hmm, have to confess I've decided to play a waiting game this year @PaddyP17
    The usual moving parts but the added big one of Bristol De Mai's participation or not. That's huge for a number of (though not all) runners (certainly according to my model) but looks like we'll have to wait 3+ weeks for the GC aftermath for T-D's decision. Especially now without Blaklion, as well as being handed the 5lb incentive, he'll surely be tempted.
    Added to which, the 2 runners I would potentially back right now (both can withstand a weight-rise and go on any ground), to add to Abolitionist, are both possible/probable but not certain runners and the only bookies now NRNB are uncompetitive on price and/or e/w terms. Very frustrating but that could change anytime (first scratching is next Tuesday, so maybe then).
    Watch this space. 
  • Options
    Personally i hate Cheltenham. It causes so many problems with Grand National selections. I wish they would move it to after the National. I know racing people prefer Cheltenham but for me the National is the only race that matters.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Shame that no GN entries line up tomorrow in the (old Racing Post) 888 Chase at Kempton (once a popular GN trial, won by Rhyme n Reason and Rough Quest before their 1988 and 1996 GN wins) and only 1, top-weight Daklondike, in the Eider at Newcastle (Comply Or Die's winning prep, also with top-weight, prior to his 2008 GN victory).
    Quite a contrast across the puddle where 6 of the 7 runners in the Bobbyjo Chase (Hedgehunter's winning prep in 2005) have GN entries, including Rathvinden making his seasonal debut, the in-form mare Magic Of Light, Thyestes runner-up Alpha Des Obeaux and GN runner-up Pleasant Company - 3 of which are most certainly flashing away on the GN radar screen. Snowy Morning, Black Apalachi and Oscar Time all went well in the Bobbyjo as a prep before going very close at Aintree.
    One to watch closely.
  • Options
    Shame that no GN entries line up tomorrow in the (old Racing Post) 888 Chase at Kempton (once a popular GN trial, won by Rhyme n Reason and Rough Quest before their 1988 and 1996 GN wins) and only 1, top-weight Daklondike, in the Eider at Newcastle (Comply Or Die's winning prep, also with top-weight, prior to his 2008 GN victory).
    Quite a contrast across the puddle where 6 of the 7 runners in the Bobbyjo Chase (Hedgehunter's winning prep in 2005) have GN entries, including Rathvinden making his seasonal debut, the in-form mare Magic Of Light, Thyestes runner-up Alpha Des Obeaux and GN runner-up Pleasant Company - 3 of which are most certainly flashing away on the GN radar screen. Snowy Morning, Black Apalachi and Oscar Time all went well in the Bobbyjo as a prep before going very close at Aintree.
    One to watch closely.
    I love love love Alpha des Obeaux - he's a wonderful horse - but I have my suspicions he wouldn't truly stay a National. His Thyestes run was prominent until Invitation Only breezed past him, and I get the feeling that anything past 3m5f or thereabouts and he'll flag.

Will likely have an interest on him on GN day given his price will be, I assume and hope, at least 20s...
  • Options
    I'm ashamed to admit it but I wish Bristol De Mai would develop a very, very minor but season-ending niggle. It would greatly simply life for me....... :confused:

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Be rude not to avail oneself of 7 e/w places offered by Hills in the Eider, albeit at 1/5 the odds.
    Harry The Viking tickles my fancy at 25s e/w
    Ran well in it 2 years ago on Soft (4th off 1lb higher OR than today's 125) and won a competitive Borders National last time out, on GS as today off 6lbs lower mark - form of that race looking reasonable.
    The old boy would do very well to get his head in front but could easily run a big one. 
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Impressive win for Rathvinden in the Bobbyjo on seasonal bow, hauling in Alpha Des Obeaux in the home straight.
    Magic Of Light UR'd. Pleasant Company NR (ground).

Rathvinden will head to Aintree if coming out of the race OK, Mullins stays post-race. 
    Pleasant Company may have his prep at Naas in the Leinster National on 12 March (Rare Bob 2013 and Goonyella 2016 ran well in that, prior to placing 5th at Aintree).
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Missed Approach scratched because of injury - should be back for next season.
    Shame - had a squeak.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Just announced yesterday's scratchings from the GN.
    Following are out:
    • Acapella Bourgeois
    • Allysson Monterg
    • Auvergnat
    • Ballyarthur
    • Callet Mad
    • Jarob
    • Lieutenant Colonel
    • Missed Approach
    • Rogue Angel
    • Skipthecuddles
    • The Dutchman
    • Westerner Point
    Leaves 100 entries standing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Phenomenal work Peanuts. Glad to see just invoking the name Tiger Roll set you off on one! :wink:

• Options
    edited February 2019
    PaddyP17 said:
    Phenomenal work Peanuts. Glad to see just invoking the name Tiger Roll set you off on one! :wink:

:smiley:   Off on one? What this space - you ain't seen nuffin yet Chief   :wink:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

:smiley:   Off on one? What this space - you ain't seen nuffin yet Chief   :wink:

Hahaha! Also - may I have your permission to paraphrase this and use it elsewhere with due credit attached?
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

Hahaha! Also - may I have your permission to paraphrase this and use it elsewhere with due credit attached?
    Can't imagine a vote for Tiger Roll is gonna raise too many eyebrows down the boozer @PaddyP17 but be my guest. Don't worry about a credit ......I'm aiming to be incommunicado on a yacht in the Med not long after 6 April   ................sans Mrs M    :smiley:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

Can't imagine a vote for Tiger Roll is gonna raise too many eyebrows down the boozer @PaddyP17 but be my guest. Don't worry about a credit ......I'm aiming to be incommunicado on a yacht in the Med not long after 6 April   ................sans Mrs M    :smiley:

Paddy giving credit to others when it comes to racing... lol!

I've heard it all now... :-)
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    So a fair bit of action from GN hopefuls this weekend:
    • Kelso - 3m (listed) Premier Chase (2.45) first brought to prominence as a GN prep by Ballabriggs: Black Corton, One For Arthur and Captain Redbeard compete with 2 other runners.
    • Newbury - 2.5m Greatwood Gold Cup (2.40): Master Dee and Warriors Tale take on 14 others
    • Newbury - 3.25m Veterans Chase (2.05): Abolitionist is one of 7 GN entries (including The Last Samuri and Joe Farrell) in the 12-strong field. He's favourite but he'll surely not be wound up to be 100%. If he does win or go very close, obviously he'll likely attract interest for the Big One but a safe spin round would do nice-enough for his stats.  
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Quick update after yesterday:

• Abolitionist needed the run at Newbury (both to qualify and for fitness). A little ponderous at his fencing early-on (first chase for almost 2 years) but warmed up and was looking the business at 3m before tiring (18L 5th) - assuming all's well, a nice enough spin but clearly still work to do and wouldn't be surprised at another outing. 
    • The Last Samuri (PU, never going), seems likely something amiss.
    • One For Arthur scratched from Premier Chase run at Kelso (unsuitable ground). Said to be heading straight to Aintree - I suspect more likely straight to retirement.

Tempus fugit, 5 weeks to the Big One...... what next?.......

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Peanuts... How does the result of your mark 2 model compare with mark 1? Does it suggest the same horses or does it give a completely different answer? BTW I think Bristol De Mai is unlikely to run in the National. The Gold Cup is his first choice and with such a big weight he would have to be in the same league as Red Rum to win.
  • Options
    Thanks Peanuts, love reading your posts
  • Options
    Thanks Peanuts. Abolitionist & Ramses backed on Skybet nrnb.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    len90 said:
    Peanuts... How does the result of your mark 2 model compare with mark 1? Does it suggest the same horses or does it give a completely different answer? BTW I think Bristol De Mai is unlikely to run in the National. The Gold Cup is his first choice and with such a big weight he would have to be in the same league as Red Rum to win.
    Could go either way with BDM I think @len90 . Won the Charlie Hall and Betfair Chase last season only 3 weeks apart but a GC is different again certainly.
    I'd estimate a likely 80% overlap of those identified as winning potential by my old and new models but I haven't put my old slide-rule over this year's runners. Would take a while but will make the comparison when the moving parts are settled.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Thanks Peanuts. Abolitionist & Ramses backed on Skybet nrnb.
    RDT is a grey of course, whose last run was close 2nd in the Haydock GNT with 11.05.
    The last grey to win the GN was Neptune Collonges in 2012. His prior run?
    Close 2nd in the GNT at Haydock carrying 11.05........ spooky!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    The Last Samuri retired - good decision. Enjoy and long and happy one old fella

• Options
    Hmm, purely from a stats-perspective, that run in the Pertemps (PU) doesn't alter Abolitionist's profile for the GN but the way he raced, similar to his recent chase at Newbury (i.e. travelling well until fading more than one would expect at the business end) bore the hallmarks, to my eye, of a possible breathing issue.
    I have to confess I've cashed out the portion of my interest in him that's cash-outable (at break-even) in case he's scratched, as it's ante-post not NRNB. I don't expect the odds to be heading away from me if I reload.
    A fair bit to digest from this week (and tomorrow's big one could see parts moving again). Above all, awaiting T-D's decision on whether BDM participates at Aintree.
  • Options
    Hmm, purely from a stats-perspective, that run in the Pertemps (PU) doesn't alter Abolitionist's profile for the GN but the way he raced, similar to his recent chase at Newbury (i.e. travelling well until fading more than one would expect at the business end) bore the hallmarks, to my eye, of a possible breathing issue.
    I have to confess I've cashed out the portion of my interest in him that's cash-outable (at break-even) in case he's scratched, as it's ante-post not NRNB. I don't expect the odds to be heading away from me if I reload.
    A fair bit to digest from this week (and tomorrow's big one could see parts moving again). Above all, awaiting T-D's decision on whether BDM participates at Aintree.
    Hopefully it’s more that the Doctor’s stable is woefully out of form rather than a breathing problem ?
  • Options
    "He’s run a fantastic race and there’s a strong possibility he’ll head to the Randox Health Grand National at Aintree now." According to Daryl Jacob about Bristol De Mai.
    You'd imagine a retained jockey would be in the know about intentions but l
    et's see if NT-D offers any thoughts.