Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Grand National 2019

Comments

• Regal flow also 33/1 with bet victor paying 5 places @1/5 odds but don’t think NRNB.

Cheers PBS. If I'm gonna lose I'd rather it were Bob's pocket.
    Same in reverse of course :smiley:
    Very kind of you :)
  • edited December 2018
    Hmm, it's well known that some horses come alive and outperform over the GN fences.
    Given that we're likely to have (to some degree) testing ground tomorrow (currently "Heavy" but a mix of Heavy & Soft, Going Stick 4.4 and possibly heavy showers again overnight) it's interesting that Paddy Power is paying 6 places (1/5). A maximum of 18 to line up.
    The last 3 Becher Chases run on Heavy had the following number of finishers:
    8 from 17 runners
    7 from 16
    6 from 14
    More to the point, PP is currently offering the best price in the market for HIGHLAND LODGE at 18/1, whose Becher record reads 8123 and has 82% completion record in 22 chases (he meets Blaklion on 8lbs better terms than when 3rd behind him last time on desperate ground).
    Similarly PP is joint best price of 33/1 for FEDERICI, former Ulster National winner, who's run twice over the fences - a respectable 6th at shorter and 4th in last year's Becher. He was 4lbs O/H then, as he will be again tomorrow. He has a 90% completion record in 30 chases.
    Money for jumping round?
  • Thanks PM - just done all three E/W.
  • Good call for Federici Peanuts .. soft to heavy ground, bottom weight, Hughes up and McCain gradually coming back to form .. Blaklion will have far too much weight tomorrow
  • Hills paying 7 places in the Becher!!! Madness.
  • I’m taking on a chance on Missed Approach in the Becher
  • Nice one Peanuts, Federici ran well and snuck into 5th at 33/1. Backed him ew first 5 with VC at 33/1.
  • edited December 2018
    Good call and bad luck @alan dugdale
    What might have been?
    Break even for me but a funny old race.
    Got to hand it to @PolzeathNick who had Walk In The Mill early at a massive price for the GN in April (sadly went lame on the morning of the race). Impressive win today.
    Chepstow next. Fond memories. :smile:
  • edited December 2018

Big wet sloppy kiss for peanuts 👄💋

Nice one Peanuts, Federici ran well and snuck into 5th at 33/1. Backed him ew first 5 with VC at 33/1.

Cheers @smudge7946 and @Valiantphil
    Hope you left at least one of my other 2 off your slips and did better than breakeven.
  • Toy collection in The Valley reception next Sat for Wimb game.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2018

Big wet sloppy kiss for peanuts 👄💋

Nice one Peanuts, Federici ran well and snuck into 5th at 33/1. Backed him ew first 5 with VC at 33/1.

Cheers @smudge7946 and @Valiantphil
    Hope you left at least one of my other 2 off your slips and did better than breakeven.
    I had Ew on Highland lodge and federici. I doubled my money.

What's your favourite charity peanuts?
    Nice one smudge.
    I'll continue to tip plenty of losers so I'd suggest you bank all of it. If you absolutely insist, any local dog or animal rescue charity or phil's suggestion if you prefer.
    Cheers for your confidence..... to Chepstow!
  • Keep these coming Peanuts, love your GN stats, will lump my Christmas money on this at NRNB.....
  • Thanks Peanuts.

How long before the race do bookies normally go NRNB, I mostly use Skybet and Bet Victor.
  • Thanks Peanuts.

How long before the race do bookies normally go NRNB, I mostly use Skybet and Bet Victor.

@bobmunro can correct me but it varies, it seems to me, according to how competitive they're feeling.
    Could be any time but Confirmation stage is (I think) this Friday so should be shortly after that at the latest.
  • Great, thanks.
  • Thanks Peanuts.

@bobmunro can correct me but it varies, it seems to me, according to how competitive they're feeling.
    Could be any time but Confirmation stage is (I think) this Friday so should be shortly after that at the latest.
    Yes I would expect us to be NRNB on Friday/Saturday - most of the others likely to be also.
  • edited December 2018
  • Keeping a close eye on the bookies quotes for the Welsh GN, now just 8 days away.

Very keen on DAWSON CITY, who ticks all of my stat-boxes (more about those in due course) and is widely available at 50/1 but, as he needs about 16 to come out to get a run, it’s essential to wait for NRNB and, preferably, 5+ places.

• Stamina is his forte:
    - not-stopping close 2nd (2L) in 29f Sussex National in 2017, under 11.09 on soft
    - close 3rd (4L) in the 27f Somerset National last January, lumping 11.10 on heavy
    - strong-staying win in the 30f Devon National a month later on soft, carrying 11.06 around Exeter (similarly undulating and stiff).

• 6lb lower mark then but has run creditably twice since off his current OR133, one of those runs (at Newbury over 26f) puts him very well-in (via Thomas Patrick) with current favourite Elegant Escape (7/1) - but, unlike the Hennessy runner-up, he’s proven over the trip.

• Last run 18 days prior. Was outpaced at Kelso but stayed on well and was a never-nearer 5th (10L) in the 4m Borders National on GS. Soft ground (as looks likely) and the more testing track for the Welsh marathon should be perfect for him.

• Handled Chepstow’s fences nicely on only attempt (leading and going well when hampered by a loose horse 3 out and UR) – over 3m on heavy.

• Should carry around 10.04 – comfortably in the “sweet spot” for Welsh GN stats, even if the weights rise.

• 9yo – age irrelevant stats-wise

• Trainer (Polly Gundry) in decent form

More to come anon.

Dawson City now 40s on Bet365
  • IdleHans said:

Keeping a close eye on the bookies quotes for the Welsh GN, now just 8 days away.

Very keen on DAWSON CITY, who ticks all of my stat-boxes (more about those in due course) and is widely available at 50/1 but, as he needs about 16 to come out to get a run, it’s essential to wait for NRNB and, preferably, 5+ places.

• Stamina is his forte:
    - not-stopping close 2nd (2L) in 29f Sussex National in 2017, under 11.09 on soft
    - close 3rd (4L) in the 27f Somerset National last January, lumping 11.10 on heavy
    - strong-staying win in the 30f Devon National a month later on soft, carrying 11.06 around Exeter (similarly undulating and stiff).

• 6lb lower mark then but has run creditably twice since off his current OR133, one of those runs (at Newbury over 26f) puts him very well-in (via Thomas Patrick) with current favourite Elegant Escape (7/1) - but, unlike the Hennessy runner-up, he’s proven over the trip.

• Last run 18 days prior. Was outpaced at Kelso but stayed on well and was a never-nearer 5th (10L) in the 4m Borders National on GS. Soft ground (as looks likely) and the more testing track for the Welsh marathon should be perfect for him.

• Handled Chepstow’s fences nicely on only attempt (leading and going well when hampered by a loose horse 3 out and UR) – over 3m on heavy.

• Should carry around 10.04 – comfortably in the “sweet spot” for Welsh GN stats, even if the weights rise.

More to come anon.

Still 50s at Laddies.

(just to show I'm objective!!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Still not NRNB as far as I can see either
  • bobmunro said:

IdleHans said:

Keeping a close eye on the bookies quotes for the Welsh GN, now just 8 days away.

• Stamina is his forte:

More to come anon.

Still 50s at Laddies.

Now suspended on Ladbrokes. So,the 40/1 Bet365 an Betfred is best available.
  • bobmunro said:

IdleHans said:

• Stamina is his forte:

More to come anon.

Still 50s at Laddies.

Now suspended on Ladbrokes. So,the 40/1 Bet365 an Betfred is best available.
    Sorry that was me - I had 37p each way on Ladbrokes...
  • edited December 2018
    Only 31 entries remaining for the Welsh GN (max. field 20) after yesterday’s Confirmations.
    I was hoping the bookies would have entered into the festive spirit by now (going NRNB and offering 5+ places) but they’re sadly still in Scrooge-mode.
    I’ve succumbed regarding DAWSON CITY, as he's my No. 1 pick. Now 40s with only a couple of bookies, I’ve taken the price (4 places ¼) as he should make the cut – needs 1 to come out (and Otago Trail will surely come out at decs, with a run today). Kicking myself for waiting and missing 50s but hey-ho.
    He’ll be piloted by James Best (partnered him well last run), who skilfully steered Walk In The Mill to Becher Chase victory recently.
    Still some jockey bookings to be announced that might make a difference as to which will join Dawson City on my betting slip. More shortly.
    COYR
  • Dawson City down to 33-1 now with Bet365. still not NRNB.

I managed to get 40s yesterday.
  • edited December 2018
    [posting this in parts]

Pantomime villain Bob’s now cut Dawson City to 25s – 40s still with Fred but still no 5th place or NRNB from anyone........boo-hiss.

What am I going to add to my slip when the Ugly Sisters finally get in party-mode?

For the sane ones here you might want to cut to the conclusion, but if anyone’s sad enough to be curious about my current stat system for the Welsh GN, it’s derived from the profiles of the 41 winners and near-missers (<6L) since 1997 and is elimination-style. The key trends:

• 3m+ chase win (41/41) [Eliminate: Lieutenant Colonel]
    • Last run: 16-59 days (41/41) [E: Otago Trail, Final Nudge, Kansas City Chief, Holly Bush Henry, Tanit River, Two Smokin Barrels]
    • Last result: In first 6 home (39/41) (both exceptions had form at 29f+ at similar or higher OR and were in first 3 home on penultimate start) [E: Ballyoptic, Raz De Maree (sorry old fella, get round safe), Regal Flow, Mysteree, Mustmeetalady, Ballycross]
    • Stamina: Form in 26f+ chase (37/41) (3 of 4 exceptions carried <10.06 and made frame in 50%+ of 24f+ chases) [E: Rons Dream, Pobbles Bay, Back To The Thatch]
    • Chase Course: Form at Chepstow (28/41) (11 of 13 exceptions had never or only once run at Chepstow but had 3m+ chase form at similarly undulating British or Irish track [E: Yala Enki, Vieux Lion Rouge, Bishops Road]

To Be Continued...........
  • edited December 2018
    What about the much-ballyhooed Age & Weight factors?

A bias to youth in the Welsh GN has long been a received wisdom and, from 1997 to 2012, age-adjusted for postponements to Jan, 5~9yo runners did outperform (97% of w/n-m from 77% of runners). But, remarkably, that trend has sharply reversed over the last 5 renewals: from just 18% of runners, 10yo+ accounted for 50% of the 12 w/n-m.
    It could be a statistical blip that will mean-revert but it would be wise to ignore Age altogether.

Weight: significant but only when 3m+ chase record considered
    Another “given” is that light-weights hold sway and, over the last 4 renewals, they have: runners with <10.09 produced 67% of w/n-m from 34% of fields. Yet, from 1997 to 2013, performance simply matched representation (69% from 67% for <10.09). Indeed, notably, top-weights have also performed “to par” over the long-term (7% from 6%) and contributed the winner just 2 years ago.
    So a simple “light weight good, big weight bad” rule doesn’t help. But a more nuanced test of weight versus staying-chase record perhaps can:

• 11.00+: 10/10 winners/near-missers since 1997 that carried 11.00+ had a 60%+ frame-making record in 24f+ chases [Eliminate: Vyta Du Roc, Folsom Blue]
    • 11.05+: 4/4 that carried 11.05+ had a chase win or near-miss (<4L) in a Class 1 at 29f+ or Class 2 at 32f+ [E: Elegant Escape]
    • 10.09~11.04: 7/9 had either done likewise or had made the frame in one of the 4 “national” GNs (both exceptions unraced beyond 26f but made frame in Class 1 25f+ chase) [E: Ramses De Teillee, Looksnowtlikebrian]

To Be Continued.........