Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Grand National 2019

Comments

• edited December 2018
    Sorry folks. Clearly going to go straight to the day-of-race market at decs.
    Pathetic, especially from the sponsors, on whose page (unbelievably) you even struggle to find the race.
    Ho hum.
    Have a good one.

Edit - Paddy Brennan confirmed to ride Jennys Surprise, who's guaranteed a run. But doesn't look to me like enough are going to come out to give Alfie his spin.
    So, taken the 50s (4 places only) for JS as 33s could be the best price with extra places and, if I only have 2 running for me, I'll top up on her and Dawson City if prices still appeal when more places offered.
    Hoping ground stays soft enough for mine.
  • Cheers, Peanuts. Put a tiny EW bet on Dawson city at 40s thanks to you, so at least i have an interest and no harm done if it loses.
    Have a terrific Christmas.
  • edited December 2018
    Otago Trail, Shanroe Santos and Bishops Road scratched at decs. Alfie misses it by one (assuming trainer declared him).
    Means Dawson City, Mysteree and Holly Bush Henry make the cut at the bottom.
    Ballyoptic declared so weights unaltered.
    In case you're looking to have an e/w flutter, Unibet the first to go to 6 places (1/4).
    For my 2 interests, at 40s I've had a top up with them on Jennys Surprise. Hoping for better from others offering the extra place(s) than their 22s to top up on Dawson City [edit - now done with Paddy at 33s (6 places 1/5)]
    But bet responsibly folks. Make sure you can afford to lose it.
  • Paddy power 6 places Dawson city 33s
  • Paddy power 6 places Dawson city 33s

In to 20/1 on Betfair.

• 20/1 on bet365 too.
    Cash out on my 40/1 is still only the stake, miserable feckers.
  • Cheers peanuts, Dawson city got me a place.
  • edited December 2018

Cheers peanuts, Dawson city got me a place.

Nice one @WelshAddick
    The only place he got me is on skid row :neutral: ...........ugh, 1L away from profit

That was a brutal pace set by VLR et al. Quickest time for Welsh GN for 10 years. My two outpaced I'm afraid. But got to hand it to the winner, to see it out so well with 11.08. Wow.
    Great to see old Raz come home strong again in 5th.
    Sorry folks - that incarnation of my Welsh GN system for the scrap heap.
  • i was shocked that skybet paid 7 places today. Yes the going seemed quite quick for this time of year.
  • Sponsored links:

• https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/young-hustler-looking-good-as-he-prepares-to-hit-32/359507

Remember this fella? 32 today :smile:
    6 times a runner over the GN fences, winner and runner-up in the Becher and 5th in the big one in Rough Quest's year.
    Looking through his chasing career brings back memories of fantastic rivals from a variety of yards and some great steeplechasing:
    One Man, Deep Sensation, Dublin Flyer, Barton Bank, Garrison Savannah, Imperial Call, Master Oats, Dubacilla, The Fellow, Jodami, Docklands Express, Life Of A Lord, Unguided Missile.
    Man, they were good times - no better or worse than others but bloody good.
    Happy birthday old fella and to all our equine buddies.

and a happy and prosperous 2019 to you Peanuts ((:>)
  • Long list of initial entries out today, with 47 Irish entries - a record.

Bit surprised to see a few of the names that are there. Shattered Love is one that confuses me, for instance.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Long list of initial entries out today, with 47 Irish entries - a record.

Bit surprised to see a few of the names that are there. Shattered Love is one that confuses me, for instance.

I heard the Irish horses might not be allowed to run due to this Brexit problem
  • Everyone's favourite thread
  • Rathvinden is the one that keeps coming up on my checklist. 33/1 generally available. Also entered in the Cheltenham Gold Cup but seems to be better suited to Aintree so i'm hoping connections decide to bypass Cheltenham.
  • @PeanutsMolloy don’t know if you have seen the latest weights for the National.
  • Cheers @smiffyboy
    Much obliged.
    Bristol De Mai's participation (5lb compression if I'm not mistaken) will obviously be crucial to the chances of some in terms of weight.
    Time to crank things up.
    TTFN
  • So 55 out of the 59 top weights are French or Irish ?
  • MrOneLung said:
    So 55 out of the 59 top weights are French or Irish ?
    By breeding, not by training. Bristol De Mai is trained by Nigel Twiston-Davies.
  • MrOneLung said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    By breeding, not by training. Bristol De Mai is trained by Nigel Twiston-Davies.
    Bloody horses, coming over here, stealing our, er, I dunno. 
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Bloody horses, coming over here, stealing our, er, I dunno. 
    Hay
  • If abolishonist wins this i will owe you big time Peanuts... Drunk me seems to think it is nailed on for some reason and ive topped up about 10 times
  • Skybet are nrnb.
  • edited February 2019
    CAFCsayer said:
    If abolishonist wins this i will owe you big time Peanuts... Drunk me seems to think it is nailed on for some reason and ive topped up about 10 times
    Appreciate the vote of confidence Chief but can't have all your eggs in one basket in the GN. He's a definite for my team (still got to have his Chase prep to qualify) but he won't be the only one.
  • edited February 2019
    Just backed Abolitionist e/w on Skybet NRNB. 25/1   1/5 odds   5 places.
  • CAFCsayer said:
    If abolishonist wins this i will owe you big time Peanuts... Drunk me seems to think it is nailed on for some reason and ive topped up about 10 times
    Appreciate the vote of confidence Chief but can't have all your eggs in one basket in the GN. He's a definite for my team (still got to have his Chase prep to qualify) but he won't be the only one.
    I'll be backing your other picks when theyre up, dont you worry 😊
  • "I'll run as many as I can. I've won it before and it would be nice to win it again. Basically I'll run whatever gets in. If I can get 10 to 15 in, I'll run them all......" Gordon Elliott at the GN weights release last Tuesday. 
    He accounts for 16 of the top 40 GN entries. If he means what he says (and it is a big "if" because he was full of the brown stuff about GN intentions last year), it could mean that the cut comes somewhat higher than we've been used to.
    In the last 9 years these were the lowest rated to make the cut (or run as a Reserve). The numbers are those at weights' release, which can be slightly misleading as changes in handicap prior to raceday caused, in some cases, a re-ordering of those with the same OR. But it gives you an idea:
    • 2010: 78 (OR139, 10.05)
    • 2011: 69 (OR132, 10.02)
    • 2012: 72 (OR137, 10.00 5lbs o/h)
    • 2013: 75 (OR131, 10.00 3lbs o/h)
    • 2014: 79 (OR138, 10.01)
    • 2015: 68 (OR139, 10.02)
    • 2016: 58 (OR145, 10.04)
    • 2017: 69 (OR143, 10.06)
    • 2018: 76 (OR141, 10.05)
    Abolitionist should be OK at #59~61 (with 2 others on OR145). A shame that the flu vaccination rules prevented him from having his qualifying run last Saturday but trainer reports all's well. Could head to Newbury for a popular veterans chase or Cheltenham for the Kim Muir.
    More anon. 
  • So is Abolitionist the only one you have marked out thus far, PM?

I can't make head nor tail of it this year, bar an "obvious" Tiger Roll argument, and I suspect the flu rules are making it a tad more difficult.
  • edited February 2019
    Coming soon Chief.    
    Can't disagree about Tiger Roll, especially if BDM runs, and despite the 9lb higher OR.
    45 years since Rummy did it but it's nearly happened before. Of the 7 winners since 2005 to run the following year, we've had 2 runners-up and a 3rd, the closest being Hedgehunter (OR +12) with topweight, just 6L off it in 2006 and only 3 weeks after a mighty 2nd in the Gold Cup. 
    TR's obviously in good heart and health and a worthy favourite (at least for the moment).