Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rochdale v Charlton post-match thread | Sat 27 Oct 2018|

Comments

• Options
    People having a go at steer and singing for Dillon Phillips is very harsh. He made two very good saves today which kept them to 1-0 or do people forget about them? He also came and claimed crosses well. It’s not his fault he’s put in ahead of Phillips but he certainly did more than just misplace a few passes. And also you cannot blame him or the two centre backs as the movement ahead of them was criminal.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

At least they're out the way now until the final day of the season

Like Oxford; Rochdale have turned into another bogey team for us as that leaves us with one win in six against them

Is everyone we play now a bogey team?

Think the fact is, under Roland's leadership we have moved from a mid to lower championship side to a mid to low league 1 side.

If we do get taken over I expect it to be bye bye Bowyer. I feel like I should say, that's probably the right thing to do as we need an experienced, quality manager to take us back up to the championship...
    Do you really see Roland will replace Bowyer with the wages of McCarthy or Hurst for example...?
    Don't see much happening in this league with Bowyer in charge - some attractive football but we're ineffectual.

The squad is not great but I would expect more than this. A good old school manager would make a difference even if the football was industrial but nobody decent would take the job.

I hope LB can fix things but I'm not optimistic.
    Its about being realistic though... We're not going to see Bowyer going with the likes of McCarthy or Hurst coming in

If he goes then its Jackson or some Belgian stooge of Roland's which truly will kill the club as he'll just go along with what his master says rather than trying to do whats best for the club
  • Options
    Cullen gets stuck in and never stops running despite his size but aribo meanwhile was lacklustre all game, maybe he needs a rest..? Grant was non existent today too, was crying out for ajose or Igor sooner- not because they’ve done anything of note but sometimes it needs a change. Bielik must have been injured because I was thinking it would be reeves for aribo when he was warming up. Fosu needs to realise he is a game changer on his day but he needs to work to get that back and not just throw himself on the floor and not track back. I even say Marshall would have been more effective today against them because he never shirks a challenge and gives 110%.
  • Options
    Another miserable Saturday in the “RD years”.

I really hope I am wrong but can’t help thinking Bowyer will go into full Paulo Di Canio / Roy Keane mode as a manager and turn half the team against him with ill considered bursts of rage in the heat of the moment.

We should be top 6 easy with this team and as much as I despise RD, it is the players, manager and coaches who have to take the blame that we are not this time.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I said on the match thread at half time that this is a division where everyone is capable of beating everyone else.

That means desire and determination on the day is even more important as well as winning the physical battles.

Our little players tend to be out muscled by teams like Rochdale and their (marginally) better skills don't compensate for that.

Mid table beckons unless they play at the top of their game every time they go out there.

We've lack physical presence for a while, Bowyer's signings improved things but managers like Keith Hill, who operate on a fraction of the budget that we have, know that they can beat us on workrate and the physical side.
  • Options

Touch of the Robinson’s about that.

A system that has been figured out with a manager seeminlgly hopeful a change of personnel will do the trick, not helped by paid footballers being unable to pass or control a football.

It’s not just a bad day at the office, we just don’t have a winning mentality.

Disagree... Else how can you explain the performance against Barnsley or the comebacks against Plymouth and Wycombe etc. - Its the players who arent performing yet at the moment we seem to be in a rut; Bowyer will learn from this as he is inexperienced yet he needs to contact the likes of Curbishley and find out how to get out of it
    It's called consistency and it usually gets you promoted. We do not have it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Were on our way
    Were on our way
    To oblivion Were on our way
    How do we get there Roland knows
    How do we get there Roland cares
    All I know is Charlton s on the way.
  • Options
    Always a worrying sign for me when the manager is digging out players attitudes in the press. Whether it is correct or not it has happened a couple of times in the past few weeks and makes me think something is not quiet right behind the scenes.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    This is bollocks. How do you train all week, go on social media and club website all full of what you are going to do to the oppo and then get well beaten - and the manager comes out with this? Players should go out with the same 'attitude'
    - to win every game. Don't want to hear this excuse.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Always a worrying sign for me when the manager is digging out players attitudes in the press. Whether it is correct or not it has happened a couple of times in the past few weeks and makes me think something is not quiet right behind the scenes.

I wonder what could be wrong behind the scene.
  • Options
    I don’t know if it’s anything to do with spirit and issues in the camp necessarily because cast your minds back a few weeks Pearce and Solly were just two of quite a few who came out and said atmosphere was best it’s been for years, and like the Powell era etc. I think it’s a tough one to work out given bowyer normally has them playing with a. Spirit and energy even when they’re not playing amazing stuff,that’s been missing the last two games
  • Options

I wonder what could be wrong behind the scenes.
    Pretty much everything until Roland departs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I suppose it is a relief that Bielik was not injured
  • Options
    Really surprised that Bielik was subbed for tactical purposes. He was excellent at CB against Barnsley, should we have gone to 3 at the back if he wanted to keep Pratley at CB?
  • Options
    Too many prima donnas need enforcers as well to complement them
  • Options

Touch of the Robinson’s about that.

A system that has been figured out with a manager seeminlgly hopeful a change of personnel will do the trick, not helped by paid footballers being unable to pass or control a football.

It’s not just a bad day at the office, we just don’t have a winning mentality.

Disagree... Else how can you explain the performance against Barnsley or the comebacks against Plymouth and Wycombe etc. - Its the players who arent performing yet at the moment we seem to be in a rut; Bowyer will learn from this as he is inexperienced yet he needs to contact the likes of Curbishley and find out how to get out of it
    Sorry @ForeverAddickted, we’ll have to agree to disagree.

We’ve had some good comebacks but you’re being selective. We’ve dropped the most points from winning positions out of the whole of league one.

That’s not a team with a winning mentality, that’s a team that’s extremely naive and isn’t learning from its mistakes.
  • Options
    Personally I thought Bielik done well and actually played the ball on the deck when he had it, rather than the hoof ball that we played from the back all game.

Why play it from keeper to defence if we are then gonna just go long ball, surely it would be better for Steer to kick it long and let our defence push up a bit if we are going to play that way.

Last two games have been almost identical in performance, disappointing after the Barnsley win.
  • Options

Really surprised that Bielik was subbed for tactical purposes. He was excellent at CB against Barnsley, should we have gone to 3 at the back if he wanted to keep Pratley at CB?

I wasn't there so this is pure speculation but it sounds like the prima donna Arsenal loanee didn't fancy a cold day in Rochdale when taken in tandem with Bowyer's comments regarding the attitude of some of his players.
  • Options

Time to go back to basics.
    4 4 2
    The players have been playing 4 4 2 since they were at school.

No more fuckin about with silly formation s.
    This lot need to go back to basics and regroup before the season is totally lost.

Yep i agree ! Why no wingers LB? Marshall? Even Fosu doesn't play like a winger in the diamond system!!!
  • Options
    Bielik did try, in a way he tried too much by attempting to dribble and weave his way out of defence and then loose possession and be out of position for the next ‘Dale attack