Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rochdale v Charlton post-match thread | Sat 27 Oct 2018|

Comments

• Options
    Almost regret my gushingly positive summary of last week’s performance - and everybody else’s on here.

It’s as if the players read all the glowing reviews and subsequently set in their minds that they are already promoted and don’t need to put in that level of effort again because it was too much like hard work!

I love to praise when people do well in any walk of life but maybe shouldn’t do it with footballers.
  • Options
    At least they're out the way now until the final day of the season

Like Oxford; Rochdale have turned into another bogey team for us as that leaves us with one win in six against them
  • Options
    I'm glad I never, not for moment, entertained the idea of going to this one.

It's all gone a bit pear shaped lately. Losing when we've had a chance to draw and drawing when we should be winning.

How bad was the penalty miss? Someone said it was a shot on target so it sounds like he, at least, didn't do a Nicky Bailey.
  • Options
    Win, draw and lose in a week. That’s consolidationism. It’s back.
  • Options

I'm glad I never, not for moment, entertained the idea of going to this one.

It's all gone a bit pear shaped lately. Losing when we've had a chance to draw and drawing when we should be winning.

How bad was the penalty miss? Someone said it was a shot on target so it sounds like he, at least, didn't do a Nicky Bailey.

What I found strange was the fact that every penalty from Taylor has gone down the middle, this week he went to the right of the Goalkeeper

Why change it when its only failed once
  • Options
    We're fucked , thanks Roland !

Bollocks!
  • Options

Has Lyle Taylor missed 2 penalties for us this season?

Oh yes
  • Options

We're fucked , thanks Roland !

Bollocks!

That is all.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Has Lyle Taylor missed 2 penalties for us this season?

Oh yes
    Is it time for a change of penalty taker?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wow pleased it was only 1
  • Options
    Dont want to have a go at Bowyer,but Beilick has experience at centre back,Pratley does not,so a little bit mystified,very worrying that we have not scored in open play 3 out of 4 games.I still think the squad is good but our front 2 seem to have been nullified recently.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

We’re underachieving. The squad isn’t brilliant but it’s better than 13th in league 1

8 points worse off than this time last season after 15 games
    Blimey, that is a very, very telling statistic.

Time for LB to try another formation and not get stuck in the Jimmy Tarbuck rut.
  • Options

It’s the story of every season. Look decent at the 10 game mark and then go on a 20+ game run of horrific results once the fragility of the squad is exposed.

But other than Bauer and Page, we've not lost anyone of note. It's not ideal that we're playing with a makeshift back 4 but what excuse do the midfield and strikers have for these shit performances?
  • Options

Like Oxford; Rochdale have turned into another bogey team for us as that leaves us with one win in six against them

Is everyone we play now a bogey team?

Think the fact is, under Roland's leadership we have moved from a mid to lower championship side to a mid to low league 1 side.

If we do get taken over I expect it to be bye bye Bowyer. I feel like I should say, that's probably the right thing to do as we need an experienced, quality manager to take us back up to the championship...
  • Options
    Hopefully last penalty for Taylor! FFS missed two now
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Think the fact is, under Roland's leadership we have moved from a mid to lower championship side to a mid to low league 1 side.

If we do get taken over I expect it to be bye bye Bowyer. I feel like I should say, that's probably the right thing to do as we need an experienced, quality manager to take us back up to the championship...
    Do you really see Roland will replace Bowyer with the wages of McCarthy or Hurst for example...?
  • Options
    ct_addick said:

Hopefully last penalty for Taylor! FFS missed two now

Had scored two before this miss though...

Didnt Jackson miss about three or four before he was replaced?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018
    seth plum said:

ifollow

Rochdale did to us what we did to Barnsley.
    Yeah we hit the woodwork two or three times, criminally wasted a penalty, and had a lot of skill and slick passing.
    However in this league Rochdale's was a classic performance. We did not have a moment on the ball, they harried as if their lives depended on it, and the goal was the difference, not that they didn't carry a threat generally.
    We were very poor, hardly seemed a team at all, if it wasn't for individuals prepared to have pride in their personal performances it might have been a lot worse.
    Keith Hill is experienced at this level, Bowyer still learning, but very soon Bow will have to find a way to combat the up and at 'em style so prevalent in this league. We do have good players, but the sometimes excruciating and insistent build up from the back was crying out for a bit of variety. OK, in some games you have to play it long, accept you will lose the first challenge, but be ready to win the second ball, and be able to then use it further up the field. We tried one size fitting all today, but were well beaten because Rochdale tried harder with their game plan which suited their home circumstances.
    Individually no one was utterly useless, it was a failure of team play, so I give credit to Djiksteel, Cullen, Pratley, Pearce and Steer and Solly for standard decent performances, the others were average and that did not cut it today.

Guess we must extend our congrats to Rochdale - that was quite a scalp for them.

Keith Hill deserves credit for getting them to put it in as that must have been hard work for the players to overcome such a fancied team.

Strangely enough, last week we did go long much more than usual as well as playing out from the back - and it worked.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Do you really see Roland will replace Bowyer with the wages of McCarthy or Hurst for example...?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Edit> Fuck up
    And the game
  • Options
    13th in league one is shocking . Losing to Rochdale is scandalous .
  • Options
    The only good thing about today`s game, was it took me 25 minutes to get home, Will pay on Monday morning at work, when the locals give me some stick. looks like another season in league 1 for us.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Don't see much happening in this league with Bowyer in charge - some attractive football but we're ineffectual.

The squad is not great but I would expect more than this. A good old school manager would make a difference even if the football was industrial but nobody decent would take the job.

I hope LB can fix things but I'm not optimistic.
  • Options
    UTTER UTTER WANK.
  • Options
    following on from my rants/discussions on the match thread I noticed that today 4 teams in this league score 3 goals today & 2 scored 4. I then noticed (about 3 mins before Jeff Stelling mentioned it) that only 1 game today finished 0-0..........so in about 50 games across 5 leagues if you didn't score you didn't pick up a point.

This game is very easy. To win a game you have to score more goals than your opponent, and that invariably means you have to score at least twice. Only twice this season have we scored more than 2 goals (Scunthorpe & Wycombe) and one of those we lost. It seems if the front 2 don't score then no-one scores. It doesn't help that we miss a penalty (can't get a much better chance of scoring than that) but I don't blame Taylor if the 'keeper saves it. We just don't create enough chances & certainly don't get enough shots on target.

As I wasn't at the game I wont comment on the players or the match itself - but something has to change. Either formation and/or personnel. Problem is I don't think LB has many other options regarding personnel. Clarke should be back after the FA Cup game but will he make much difference. Page has been a big loss & putting your first choice right back at left back for more than a game or two seems madness to me.....but I don't think the problem is in defence (as pointed out above - score at least 2 goals & you've got a chance).

At the start of the season I thought we'd struggle (bottom 6/8 I posted at the start of August) and after LB brought in Cullen, Ward & Bielik I thought top 10 was about right, with top 6 only being achieved with a bit of luck with injuries & a good run. I also said back then that LB's comments on "top 2 definitely" was a stupid thing for him to say, and I stand by that.

Promotion via the play-offs is a pipe dream. Too many teams in this league know how to score goals & win games. Its not all about pretty football, its about getting the ball in the back of the net. End of.
  • Options
    we need 2 weeks between matches for players to recover