Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Barnsley | Sat 20 Oct | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Barnsley
Saturday 20th October 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: James Linington (Newport)

Introduction

Football returns to the Valley this weekend after a relatively enjoyable break for the International break last week – With the match against Walsall last Saturday being postponed, it’s given Lee Bowyer and his side a chance to rest and recover from what is already proving to be a demanding season on his players… This weekend it’s the turn of relegated Barnsley to visit the Valley, winless in October it’s imperative that the Addicks get points on the board this weekend in what will be a promotion chasing six pointer for both teams.

The Opposition
Name: Barnsley | Ground: Oakwell
Manager: Daniel Stendel

Ever since Huddersfield appointed the German: David Wagner as Manager (with ultimately saw them reaching the Premier League) it’s become fashionable to have a German Manager in the Football League with Norwich and Barnsley following suit.

There would have been a few eyebrows raised when Stendel was appointed as Manager of the relegated side. His only previous appointment was a single season (2016/17) with Hannover 96 in the 2.Bundesliga – Hannover would win promotion that year, yet despite only losing five games Stendel wasn’t kept on and was replaced even before the season was done… Yet the ex-Striker from Eastern Germany has now popped up in Yorkshire and is certainly proving to be a good appointment losing just one game this season (away at Coventry).

On the player front; losing Tom Bradshaw would be a serious miss yet that doesn’t appear to be the case: Kiefer Moore who impressed at the start of last season on loan at Rotherham (whilst at Ipswich) was brought into save them from relegation, ultimately that failed yet with seven goals this term prove he’s lethal at League One level, whilst the midfield pair of Brad Potts and George Moncur will take some stopping.

Charlton Team News
Is there honestly a better way to be making your debut? – For Toby Stevenson that almost certainly is no… the young defender would make his first appearance in a Charlton shirt against Stevenage in the Football League Trophy, coming away with the match ball after scoring a hat trick is the stuff that dreams are made of and could earn him a place on the bench this weekend

On the injury front; Jamie Ward made his starting return in the same game against Stevenage, the midfielder on loan from Nottingham Forest played 60-minutes that Tuesday night and could start on Saturday – Fellow Irish Midfielder: Billy Clarke is still some way from the match squad, having yet to appear for the U23’s you’d expect him to be absent from the First Team until possibly the New Year or December at the earliest!!

Steer
Solly | Bielik | Pearce | Sarr
Aribo | Cullen | Pratley
Ward
Grant | Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dijksteel | Reeves | Lapslie | Fosu | Vetokele | Ajose

Prediction
Quite simply I have a feeling that this could be the hardest home game of the season regardless of the referee etc. Barnsley have lost just the one game this season and could be a side to challenge seriously for the title, the fact that they’ve only conceded nine goals this season proves that a win will be difficult yet Lee Bowyer proved last season that some big games, he can get his team to rise to the occasion!!

Comments

• This will be a tough one, I'd like to see Pratley dropped with Lapslie starting, and possbly even leave Grant out got Vetokele.

First home game I've not felt confident about. 2-0 to Barnsley
  • Yeah I initially left Pratley out completely yet thought we'd need his aggression in the middle of the park hence why I expect Bowyer to pick him

Vetokele for Grant is one I wouldnt be surprised about after the former got those two goals against Stevenage, especially with Karlan being a bit wasteful - Think the main issue is whether Taylor has recovered from jetlag after having to fly out to the Caribbean for the International Break, wouldnt be surprised in a way if he has a slightly off day on Saturday
  • Looking froward to this, watched Barnsley v Luton on Sky last weekend and they look a good team.

Will go for a 2-1 home win but will be tough.
  • They score goals; we leak them. Could be painful! You have to play your best players, so Reeves has to play for me. Fosu was so wasteful last time out that he may be dropped. KAG/Igor is 60/30 for me, either way round. The defence is worrying, but Bielik may help?
  • 2 - 1 Charlton , Cullen and Ward .
  • the sort of game we will win and come Sunday morning we will be winning the league again, for me personally i think we are about where we should be if not a little higher we do have a good 11 and taylor is obviously in form - my only concern is his international is a real slog to get to so do not know if tiredness will creep in etc.

optimistic 2-0 charlton before the return of tarbuck on tuesday
  • 1-1 tough game, will do well to come away with anything.

Surely Fosu will start?
  • Very tough indeed.
    Our only approach is to say we start off even and it's 11v11. Then it will be up to the players to dig deep.
    We won't win by fancy tactics or formations, Barnsley will suss that out easily enough, we will possibly win if the players have the nerve to play, and the resilience to keep on keeping on.
    And if Barnsley drop a couple of levels.
  • I know it's only October but this game is absolutely massive in my opinion.

Lose and we are bottom half.
    Win and we are hanging in there.

I honestly don't know what to expect just hoping for the best.

2.1 Charlton.
  • Terrific preview .. I watched Barnsley v Luton last week, a 3-2 win .. we know what a decent side are Luton .. as @ForeverAddickted writes, the Tykes are very strong in both midfield and attack, however their defence looked a wee bit slow and vulnerable and I write this despite the fact that they have conceded, as noticed, just 9 goals all season in the FL .. we will see how our quick attack can unsettle them or not as the case may be.
    I'd like a bench spot for young Toby Stephenson as a partial 'reward' for his Stevenage performance

I fancy us to win this one .. warning, Barnsley can cut up rough when under pressure .. we'll need the referee to be on his best form, i.e. unbiased

CAFC 2 v Barnsley 1
  • Sponsored links:

• I think this will be a really good game for the neutrals, 2 excellent attacking sides playing good football. 2-2, I've no confidence in our defence with Naby at LB. And who will be in goal?

A week is a long time in football. 2 defeats in 5 days have really affected our league position, and the postponement has put us a further 3 points behind most of our rivals
  • Have no fear, we lost those two games while I was away on holiday, but now I'm back, so 2-1 win, then win on Tuesday and next Saturday, and we are in top 6 again
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Our GT frontline can cause their big units at the back trouble 2-0.
  • Bowyer "Yeah, they’ve turned it round in the last few weeks. They had a slow start, hit and miss but they’re a good side. They scored four away to Peterborough, three against Luton last weekend. I’ve watched those two games, they’re good in possession. Their movement is good and their rotation. They have weaknesses though, like every team. We need to be secure under the ball and when we win it, we have to use it well. The difference with them is that they are ruthless in front of goal. When they get a chance, they take it. They’re a Championship side that have come down, they lost one or two from their squad but mainly kept their side. They’ll be up there. I’ve said that from the start. It’ll be our biggest test so far this season."
  • Difficult game - have to stop shipping goals.

3-2 to Barnsley as we concede two goals in injury time.
  • Difficult game - have to stop shipping goals.

3-2 to Barnsley as we concede two goals in injury time.

If that happens buy me a beer
  • I saw Barnsley beat Luton 3-2 last week.
    Luton looked quite good, yet on another day Barnsley could have won 6-2.
    I couldn't believe how quick and slick their passing was. I was massively impressed.
    If we play like we have recently & they play like that we will be comfortably beaten.
    However, if we we're on top form and they are not, we could triumph.

Charlton 1 Barnsley 2.
  • Fosu to start and score, 2-1 win
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2018
    I think as a team we have been more fragile than we should be for a few years. A losing position tends to end in a loss and a winning position often tends not to finish as such. I support Bowyer and have faith in him but he has to address this. I think there is a decent chance Barnsley are the best team in the league which is an opportunity for a decent team ( at this level) with balls to get a confidence boosting result. I predict a 2 nil defeat.:(
  • I think Bows May start with Pratley in the middle of a three.

Beilick with Cullen as a holding two. Reeves covering on left. Maybe Marshall on the right instead of Solly (tin hat on). Fosu behind Taylor and Grant.
  • We have to improve our defending - we look ok then give soft goals away and our attacking - we need a greater spread of goals and to make better decsions in the final third. Sadly these are key for a football team. I do think we have the quality to do so, but it feels like these failings are becoming a Charlton trademark. I will be going on Saturday more in hope than expectation.
  • It looks like this Daniel Stendel likes to play nice attacking football. We play good football too. So there could be a few goals here. Difficult to say who will get more.
  • We will need to take our chances.
  • I saw Barnsley beat Luton 3-2 last week.
    I couldn't believe how quick and slick their passing was. I was massively impressed.
    If we play like we have recently & they play like that we will be comfortably beaten.

Charlton 1 Barnsley 2.

Barnsley destroyed Peterborough
  • Big statement if we beat them.

2-0 the addicks....& the promo charge begins.
  • can't see anything but a Barnsley win.

1-3
  • redbuttle said:

I saw Barnsley beat Luton 3-2 last week.

Charlton 1 Barnsley 2.

Barnsley destroyed Peterborough
    I don't think you can let that worry you. The players can't.
  • 0-1 ref again the talking point.