Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Southend v Charlton 1-9-2018 post match views

Comments

• Fosu deserves a ban for that. I can't see how anyone can come to a different conclusion.
  • Oggy Red said:

Glad we came back there as a draw would have started to look like relegation form. We've still not properly beaten a team though. Both our wins have been squeaked 2-1 wins with late winners, and we can't keep surviving by the seat our our collective red pants. Still, that end to the game was hilarious and I can only hope we were trying 35 yarders just to see if the left back in goal knew what he was doing. Good to see Igor back but I would have liked him on a bit earlier.

My worry is, that an underperfoming club could have their attention drawn to Bowyer and be tempted by the fact that they wouldn't have to pay compensation.
    Wouldn't they?

Bowyer's under contract to the club.

The point is, that compensation usually linked to the perceived value or investment the club has made in the manager. As a temporary appointment on a short term, any compensation would be minimal or Bowyer could simply refuse any extension and leave. I think that's our single biggest current risk.
    In this case, Cardinal, I'm not sure that would be the case.

He might be taking on the role of Caretaker manager until further notice, but Bowyer is under permanant contract, albeit as Assistant Manager - he can't just up sticks and go, without being in breach of his existing contract.

Maybe, he could just quit (who knows?), but there are League regulations in place to prevent other clubs poaching management staff without compensation being paid.

• If Fosu threw a head butt then it's an automatic red. Otherwise, it it had pushed Kightly it might have been a second yellow. This video is the best I've seen

Having another look over and over again with these small piece of footage, the more I watch it the more I think that Fosu actually pushed him over forcefully with his left arm/hand. His head may lean into towards Kightly but I do not think he makes contact with his head. Not that it changes anything because his reaction is a red card offence. However, the footage also very clearly shows the horrible kick out at Fosu by Kightly and it is frustrating that a reaction, albeit wrong, has the same punishment as one from kicking someone who is on the ground.

Their keeper mind you is a lunatic. To me he was as wound up as the rest of them and went in seeing red, he didn't stay calm and try to diffuse the situation, he purposely went in to attack anyone who came near him, which so happened to be throwing a punch at Lapslie (who showed his inexperience by sprinting over the way he did, but he is passionate and a Charlton fan so it is not excusable but it is slightly more understandable, he will have to learn from that too).
  • That keeper was out of his tree.

It looks like he certainly did punch Lapslie.
    And then he goes after him and attacks him again!

Thug.

• All three deserved to go. Ref got it right.
  • All three deserved to go. Ref got it right.
  • Sage said:

If Fosu threw a head butt then it's an automatic red. Otherwise, it it had pushed Kightly it might have been a second yellow. This video is the best I've seen

Having another look over and over again with these small piece of footage, the more I watch it the more I think that Fosu actually pushed him over forcefully with his left arm/hand. His head may lean into towards Kightly but I do not think he makes contact with his head. Not that it changes anything because his reaction is a red card offence. However, the footage also very clearly shows the horrible kick out at Fosu by Kightly and it is frustrating that a reaction, albeit wrong, has the same punishment as one from kicking someone who is on the ground.

Their keeper mind you is a lunatic. To me he was as wound up as the rest of them and went in seeing red, he didn't stay calm and try to diffuse the situation, he purposely went in to attack anyone who came near him, which so happened to be throwing a punch at Lapslie (who showed his inexperience by sprinting over the way he did, but he is passionate and a Charlton fan so it is not excusable but it is slightly more understandable, he will have to learn from that too).
    Agreed, now I’ve seen it from the other side Fosu’s contribution is a shove not a head butt. Still a red card offence but as the wronged party, if this was a legal prosecution, you’d expect some leniency to be shown to him vs the 2 Southend players. The FA doesn’t work it like that though.
  • edited September 2018

What a day !! Great atmosphere.....great fans.....great win !!

we started slowly in both the 1st & 2nd halves, but grew into the game & finished the stronger. Overall I think we deserved the win - had a goal disallowed (marginal offside) and could have had apen w hen Ajose was pulled back but I agree with the ref that Fosu dived & deserved his booking (cut it out lad - you're too good for that)........I wonder if gets a 4 match ban for picking up a yellow as well as a red card...lol.

I thought Beliek had another great game (no idea what a previous poster was on about) and his goal just capped it all off. Cullen also played well - some great passing & linked up the play well too. Front 3 all put in a shift but once again I just wished that Taylor would concentrate more on getting the ball than trying to draw a foul. Shame Fosu is going to miss a couple of games (assuming the checkout cup counts as one) as he made a difference when he came on. Felt Sarr was unlucky to get dropped but Pearce did play well although his booking was needless. Rather than blaming Phillips for their goal I think the blame lies more with our players switching off when Southend got on with the game after a dubious free kick & caught us napping. But can't complain after grabbing 3 much needed points.

Golfir Jnr almost lost his voice with all the singing & put today just behind Pompey last season as the best away game he's been too for atmosphere & excitement. Only problem now is that he wants us to go to Luton at the end of the month, but it co-incides with the Ryder Cup & I'm now very conflicted. Ho hum....

A load of millionaires twatting about with a ping-pong ball on steroids or the Addicks? Where’s the conflict?
  • When I saw the keeper running all that way it reminded me of James Beattie when we played Sheffield United (?) a few years ago and he ran half the length of the pitch to throttle Yann. I’ve never understood why players do that when the scuffle is nothing to do with them and that in itself deserves a red.
  • JaShea99 said:

When I saw the keeper running all that way it reminded me of James Beattie when we played Sheffield United (?) a few years ago and he ran half the length of the pitch to throttle Yann. I’ve never understood why players do that when the scuffle is nothing to do with them and that in itself deserves a red.

And he was their captain. Beggars belief really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fosu deserves a ban for that. I can't see how anyone can come to a different conclusion.

He will. THREE for the red card as the result of violent conduct.
  • Looking at the replays it looks like Fosu hooked him with his left rather than headbutt. Good on him, someone stamping on you on the floor deserves to get chinned. LB bringing a bit of fight to these players.
  • JaShea99 said:

From where I was sitting it was definitely a headbutt. And a proper one as well, not one of these ridiculous slight movements of the head towards an opponent that now gets called a headbutt. So hate to say it but correct decision.

Agree - but what a cowardly act to kick Fosu when he was down. Don't blame him for doing the bloke, hope it hurt!!
  • Blue Boar pub outside the ground was rocking for a good hour and half after the game, rammed with Charlton
  • sam3110 said:
    Like the way a bloke lifts his young son above his head for a better view of the punch-up.

Was thinking the same thing myself!
  • iaitch said:

While on the subject of red cards, Steve Evans and his assistant both got one yesterday, couldn't have happened to a nicer couple.

Spot on! Pair of complete tossers, pleased they both got red cards. Evans and his sidekick are a disgrace.

Agree, he will get a three game ban, but the arsehole that kicked him while he was on the ground should get six.
  • edited September 2018
    Oggy Red said:

That keeper was out of his tree.

It looks like he certainly did punch Lapslie.
    And then he goes after him and attacks him again!

Thug.

I wasn't that far away and their goalie punched Lapslie in the face twice.
    Initially, then they were separated and then he went after him for a second time.
    Not seen that live in football since Hales v Flanagan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Seeing that keepers practice punching the ball, I imagine that a punch from him could do some damage
  • After seeing film of the incident, I really have only one thing to add...

Lapslie = Nails
  • I wonder if both teams will be up before the EFL for failing to control their players?
  • addick05 said:

iaitch said:

While on the subject of red cards, Steve Evans and his assistant both got one yesterday, couldn't have happened to a nicer couple.

Spot on! Pair of complete tossers, pleased they both got red cards. Evans and his sidekick are a disgrace.
    You should listen to his interview after the game... All I can say is prepare to be gobsmacked as he complains about the Referee's decisions!!

Bloke should never be allowed to complain again about the officials after the game at the Valley
  • Evans is unconventional in the extreme, but effective at lower league level. Glad he isn't managing us though! But the game is not poorer for having people like him in it IMO.
  • edited September 2018
    J BLOCK said:

Blue Boar pub outside the ground was rocking for a good hour and half after the game, rammed with Charlton

It was rocking pre game too. Could see Charlton everywhere along the seafront in the early evening too. A South London takeover, proper away day.
  • edited September 2018
    Saw loads of Charlton out sat night, Vodka Revs had a few of us in and the club on the beach.
  • cafc-west said:

May have been posted before - but Sky Sports coverage here - with all 3 red cards in detail!
    http://www.skysports.com/football/southend-vs-charlton/393163

You can see here that we had front row views of the brawl. Carnage. Have no idea what went through that goalkeepers head but surely a bigger ban must be due.