Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southend v Charlton 1-9-2018 post match views

Comments

• Options
    Skybet are giving 11/4 for Charlton to finish in the top 6 this season. Could be a nice investment.
  • Options
    Brilliant result and sounded a corker of an atmosphere. Great to see a bunch of Charlton players steaming in.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

I wasn't too far away, kightley booted Fosu, Fosu jumped up to confront him but this caused the clash of heads. I don't think Fosu meant to butt him.

Surely we’d win an appeal if this is the case?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Aribo had a hip injury @redman
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

TBH Fosu being banned for 3 games may be good thing. We were worried about him being rushed back and breaking down again, well now he’ll have another few weeks to really strengthen and come back raring to go. And we have Jamie Ward to cover

Literally came on to say this it's like you read my mind!
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

I wasn't too far away, kightley booted Fosu, Fosu jumped up to confront him but this caused the clash of heads. I don't think Fosu meant to butt him.

From the replays i've seen it looks like Kightly made a complete meal of it, i don't think Fosu was trying to headbutt him. Their keeper was off his head though, no need for that.
  • Options
    Sorry, their goalkeeper physically punches George and is lucky he’s not on a gbh charge! If Powell tries to back that up like the ‘gent’ he’s supposed to be then we are deluded in calling him SCP

Great 3 points nevertheless!
  • Options
    Good win and a lot of positives to take out of the game it seems. Can’t be 100% certain but looked like Fosu deserved his red to me, but not as much as the keeper.

Still not convinced by Phillips that’s 3 goals I think he should have stopped. Not writing him off but think Steer is worth a game.
  • Options

Redhenry said:

We don't win appeals, we're Charlton don't you know?
  • Options
    da18 said:

Sorry, their goalkeeper physically punches George and is lucky he’s not on a gbh charge! If Powell tries to back that up like the ‘gent’ he’s supposed to be then we are deluded in calling him SCP

Powell made the statement about being surprised Oxley was sent off 20 mins after the game, so can't have seen the video.

Oxley should get a long ban for that punch. Like you say, could've been up for gbh if he'd made full contact.

• Options

da18 said:

Powell made the statement about being surprised Oxley was sent off 20 mins after the game, so can't have seen the video.

Oxley should get a long ban for that punch. Like you say, could've been up for gbh if he'd made full contact.

He said he's watched it back and is surprised he's sent off

"But, having reviewed the incident, Powell was shocked the Shrimpers shot-stopper was dismissed.

“The ref said Mark grabbed their player round the throat,” said Powell.

“He does push him but as we all saw there must have been between 10 and 15 players pushing each other at that moment so to be honest I’m quite surprised he sent Mark off.”

Oxley will now serve a three match suspension while Kightly will also be sidelined after clashing with Fosu in the far corner of the pitch.

I’ve seen it again and I’ve spoken to the referee who said Michael Kightly kicked the player on the ground,” said Powell.

I’ve seen it and I think he does a bit of both to be honest" "

Please don't make excuses for the man, gentleman or not he's seen the footage again and still claims he's "surprised" his player got sent off
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:

da18 said:

"But, having reviewed the incident, Powell was shocked the Shrimpers shot-stopper was dismissed.

“He does push him but as we all saw there must have been between 10 and 15 players pushing each other at that moment so to be honest I’m quite surprised he sent Mark off.”

Oxley will now serve a three match suspension while Kightly will also be sidelined after clashing with Fosu in the far corner of the pitch.

I’ve seen it again and I’ve spoken to the referee who said Michael Kightly kicked the player on the ground,” said Powell.

Please don't make excuses for the man, gentleman or not he's seen the footage again and still claims he's "surprised" his player got sent off
    Fair enough reading that. Surprising.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

da18 said:

Maybe Powell should have done an Arsene Wenger ..... and said that he didn't see the incident nor seen the video yet.

That would have been diplomacy. But then, he was playing to the Southend audience.

• Options

Glad we came back there as a draw would have started to look like relegation form. We've still not properly beaten a team though. Both our wins have been squeaked 2-1 wins with late winners, and we can't keep surviving by the seat our our collective red pants. Still, that end to the game was hilarious and I can only hope we were trying 35 yarders just to see if the left back in goal knew what he was doing. Good to see Igor back but I would have liked him on a bit earlier.

My worry is, that an underperfoming club could have their attention drawn to Bowyer and be tempted by the fact that they wouldn't have to pay compensation.
    Wouldn't they?

Bowyer's under contract to the club.

• Options
    To add to the Charlton connections at Southend, I hadn't realised that Damian Matthew was Powell's assistant. Quite strange to see him without Alex Dyer
  • Options
    Great stuff @Redman. Cheers!
  • Options

Redhenry said:

I doubt it