Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southend v Charlton 1-9-2018 post match views

Comments

• Options
    From where I was sitting it was definitely a headbutt. And a proper one as well, not one of these ridiculous slight movements of the head towards an opponent that now gets called a headbutt. So hate to say it but correct decision.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Be interested in Powelly's take on the sendings off.

Can understand his comments as he'll want to protect his players but dont agree with him

The ultimate question he should be asking is why the hell Oxley felt the need to run from the Goal to get involved in the first place, it was even our Free-Kick rather than theirs so he couldnt even claim he was running over in preparation for kicking the ball back up field...

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/16682710.southend-united-boss-chris-powell-surprised-to-see-mark-oxley-sent-off-against-charlton-athletic/

Based on his comments on the Southend website, I do agree with what he says under the section: "on the defeat"

https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2018/september/powell-charlton-reaction/
  • Options
    Enjoyed that, good win, great attitude from the players, Bowyer should be made permanent manager. From where I was Kightly booted Fosu who in turn attempted to nut him and then the keeper came in swinging at Lapslie and caught him at least once. All 3 red cards correct but apart from that thought the ref was poor. Wasn’t too impressed with Southend and Turner’s dive when Karlan put the cross in for the goal was embarrassing for a player with that experience.
  • Options

Chris Powell post Match comment another bitter ex employee
  • Options
    Lewis Page

Verified account

@LewisPage3
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    + 3 points , good game and what an atmosphere! Away support unreal! @CAFCofficial
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
  • Options
    Dillon Phillips

@Dillon_Phillips
    1h1 hour ago
    More Dillon Phillips Retweeted Charlton Athletic FC
    No better feeling than 3 points Away support was unreal @CAFCofficial
  • Options
    Karlan

@karlangrant
    1h1 hour ago
    More
    What a win! Boys dug deep & fans were great all game happy to get an assist too. We go again #Cafc

• Options
    edited September 2018
    We played well & deseved the win. The game became open as soon as Fosu came on.
  • Options
    Credit to bow for switching to 343. Completely changed the game
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    not a bad win, but we alll know that their manager isn't very good.
  • Options
    wasn't there .. terrific away win against no mean opposition .. seems the team showed a lot of fighting spirit, perhaps TOO much ? .. but after all they are Lee Bowyer's boys ..
    looks as though the loanees have been well chosen... good to see we started with three attackers ..
    Fosu always seems so mild mannered .. must have been a nasty incident to set him off .. the season starts for real NOW ..

Come on Youse Addicks !!!!
  • Options
    Well that was an interesting second half!

I thought we shaded the first half, with Southend mainly attacking on the break. The second was more open, we started to look dangerous, and Cullen sent in some decent corners, one of which created the winner

A decent performance, hard to pick anyone out.

Poor tackle from Pratley at the end of the first half, hacking someone down in the centre circle was completely unnecessary, and while I don't think it was a red card offence, 1 in 10 refs might issue a red. The 3 reds given at the end were justified, though it's always hard to see who's the offender in such situations. I thought Lapslie was slightly lucky to not get red as well.

I hope Bauer isn't badly injured, as with Fosu suspended and Ward on international duty, and Aribo maybe doubtful, we will look a but thin again next week
  • Options
    Positives
    Cullen looks a good one
    Fosu cameo
    Igor returning
    Showing some fight
    3 points.

Negatives
    Ajose in midfield/ out wide
    Pratley, I just don't get what he brings to the game

Don't get carried away it wasn't a great performance but some good moments and some poor ones as well.

Phillips really should have saved their goal, weak wrists.

I agree with comments above their keeper should be banned for a long time not only a thug but picked on one of the youngsters, so in my book fucking coward as well.

Had a great day in Southend.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

From where I was sitting it was definitely a headbutt. And a proper one as well, not one of these ridiculous slight movements of the head towards an opponent that now gets called a headbutt. So hate to say it but correct decision.

well .. if you're gonna get sent off might as well make it worth while and get value for yer butt ((:>)
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Gumbo said:

Chris Powell post Match comment another bitter ex employee
    Powell classy even when slightly moaning about the referee.

He's dead right about the Pratley challenge, I went and watched it back and it's absolutely awful. Should have been red. He's miles away from the ball and it's not just reckless but dangerous.

To be fair to the referee he was at least consistent with the professional fouls because White's on Foso just before the fight was also absolutely awful. A knee high challenge is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Charlton win, Palace, Millwall & West Ham loose, what a good weekend.

I thought we were excellent today. It would have been a crime if we wouldn’t have won today.

Everyone played well to a man. Cullen impressed, Grant was our MOTM.

We’re Charlton Athletic we are on our way back
  • Options
    Fosu seemed rather rushed back, to be playing again today.

I've a feeling that Checktrade suspensions are exclusive to that competition, so Tuesday's game won't count as one of the 3 matches he's banned for, so he might as well play in it.
  • Options
    We’re Charlton Athletic we are on our way back

What is the full lyrics to this, can't make out the middle part properly!