Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Squad (v Republic of Ireland/Belgium/Iceland from p29)

Comments

• Options
    I agree that 4-2-3-1 would be our best formation. I think it’s time that Southgate starts putting trust back into Maguire. I would probably have Mings next to him, who plays in a similar formation for Villa, until Coady can prove he can play in a centre back pairing. If he wants the full backs to push high up and get forward, then it would be asking a lot for Henderson to play as a ‘Mezzala’ and protect the centre backs, so he might start Rice as well depending on the opponent. I would have no problem with Mount playing alongside Henderson in the 2.
  • Options
    I think Kane dropping deep is a decent tactic as he has a lot of ability setting up moves as well as finishing them and it makes him harder to defend against. But yes, you look at a lot of international defences and pace worries them and surely you find a way to get that in the team. 

We have an average defence and possibly the best attacking options in the World. It ought to be a no brainer how you set out to maximise that.
  • Options
    I keep seeing people suggest getting Grealish into the midfield, but doesn't he play on the left of a front 3 for Villa?

I'm not saying he cant play there or isn't better than what we have but it goes back to the same idea of forcing players into systems rather than doing what they know.

Much like Mount being a better option in the middle rather than stuck out wide like Sunday, surely where possible Grealish should play where he plays for his club.
    That's why all the past social media uproar about constantly playing Mount over Grealish was a bit a pointless if Southgate sees them in different positions (ie the positions they play for their club).
  • Options
    Yes, even with Gareth's system he could have played Mount alongside Henderson and then had someone pacier in the front 3

Rashford and Sterling both not being available did make things trickier, as Sancho isn't playing well and the other attacking options we had on the bench, Calvert-Lewis and Abraham are to me alternatives to Kane, rather than wide attackers
  • Options
    Southgate's Dream XI.

Pickford

Chillwell
    Maguire
    Mings
    Gomez
    James

Henderson
    Dier
    Winks
    Rice

Kane

• Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54932312

Republic of Ireland midfielder Alan Browne has tested positive for coronavirus having played against England on Thursday.
    Preston's Browne, 25, played the full 90 minutes of his side's 3-0 defeat at Wembley Stadium.
    The Football Association of Ireland said he had "no close contacts" and all other players and staff have tested negative.

BUT

Now McClean and Doherty have tested positive after Ireland's game against Wales yesterday. Did they really catch it independently of Brown having it on Thursday?
    Why are they testing after the games & not before?
    Probably testing both sides of it. 
  • Options
    We're an entirely different feeling side tonight.
  • Options
    Mount is so much better in the midfield role. 

Saka with a bit more confidence could be a really good asset for England. 

Grealish is a joke.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Grealish is a cheat code.
  • Options
    Been some superb passes this evening so far - mostly from Grealish but Foden and Saka also chipping in
  • Options
    Foden and Grealish looking class
  • Options
    Where do you put Sterling in this team? 
  • Options
      Left wing.
  • Options
    On the injury list..
  • Options
    It'll be frustrating when all those who are 'injured' roll out for their teams at the weekend.
  • Options
    Team needs pace. But this team is balanced for the first time in ages.

Foden and Grealish are so good against these negative sides.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
      Left wing.
    In place of one from Grealish - Foden - Mount? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep. On form he's better than Foden or Mount.
  • Options
    Iceland are so negative. Hope they score so the game is more interesting 
  • Options
    Dirty cheating from Saka there. Didn't need to go down.
  • Options
    That Albert Gudmundsson is a decent little player

• Options
    edited November 2020
    No relation though... 
  • Options
    Grealish is incredible 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    No relation though... 
    No but he is the 4th generation of footballers to play for the National team from his family going back to his great grandfather who played for Arsenal
  • Options
    One holding midfielder allows the shackles to come off.

NO SHIT SHERLOCK / SOUTHGATE!!!
  • Options
    Rice comes in for a lot of stick I think he’s been excellent tonight. With Henderson he probably doesn’t know his role but when he’s with a ball playing CM he comes into his own.
  • Options
    Foden wow