Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Squad (v Republic of Ireland/Belgium/Iceland from p29)

Comments

• edited November 2020
    Sack Southgate, he's an awful manager and had a lucky World Cup. 

Sticking 5 at the back with defensive midfielders and still conceding goals way too easily. 
    New Manager suddenly doesnt suddenly give us better players though does it... The defence at the moment is a shambles
    You know what makes a defense better? Decent coaching. 

This team doesn't look like they've trained together at all. 
    Yeah how does Southgate do that when he barely sees the players?

Surely its on the club Managers to make the players better? 
    Why do worse international teams with 'worse' players end up looking better drilled than we do? 
    Wasn’t Denmark our first defeat in 22 games?
    Lost to Czech Republic + Netherlands. 
  • Sack Southgate, he's an awful manager and had a lucky World Cup. 

Sticking 5 at the back with defensive midfielders and still conceding goals way too easily. 
    New Manager suddenly doesnt suddenly give us better players though does it... The defence at the moment is a shambles
    You know what makes a defense better? Decent coaching. 

This team doesn't look like they've trained together at all. 
    Yeah how does Southgate do that when he barely sees the players?

Surely its on the club Managers to make the players better? 
    Why do worse international teams with 'worse' players end up looking better drilled than we do? 
    Wasn’t Denmark our first defeat in 22 games?
    Lost to Czech Republic + Netherlands. 
    Ahh yes correct. A truly abysmal performance by a lot of good players that night.
  • The problem with England since about 2018 is we're managing to beat D + C level international teams. 

But even coming up against B level teams like Denmark, Switzerland, Czech Rep + Iceland and we struggle. 

Against A level nations we have no chance. 

Either that's because our players are bad (not true) or the system they're being forced into doesn't bring out their potential. 
  • Belgium aren’t anything special that’s the worst part. 
  • Problem is, you play Sancho, Foden, Grealish, Kane etc and you’ve got nobody to try and protect shit like Dier, you’ll be more than 2-0 down to sides like Belgium. 
    Alternatively you play a back 5, look like shit and lose anyway.

We've now scored 3 goals in 4.5 games in this group, and 2 of those goals were penalties. The simple fact is we have good attacking players and should be doing a lot better than we are.
  • I know Southgate is protecting the defense but it leaves us short of options up top.

I do think if he had utter confidence in our attacking options he could think fuck it, we might concede 2 but score 3 or 4. 

But he's going defensive to protect the team and ultimately his job. 
  • The problem with England since about 2018 is we're managing to beat D + C level international teams. 

But even coming up against B level teams like Denmark, Switzerland, Czech Rep + Iceland and we struggle. 

Either that's because our players are bad (not true) or the system they're being forced into doesn't bring out their potential. 
    I’ve been critical of Southgate for playing 2 defensive CM against poorer teams than us. However, I think he was correct to approach tonight like it. A shit pass and a poor ref decision has been the difference. We’ve had a couple of decent chances and Pickford has done nothing but pick the ball out twice. I think he will make changes at HT and we will see what this teams about. If anything, it’s a good learning curve.
  • Don't think our defence have been too bad. We look pretty toothless up front, normally i'm very critical of England but i think we're unlucky to be 2 down tbh. Rice/Dier aint good enough though.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2020
    So fucking negative, no pace up front. Dier and Rice how do they get in England squad let alone team. Southgate is full of shit.
  • Southall is full of shit , but you can't blame him for England being so crap .
  • Let’s be honest, a great crop of attacking English talent is being wasted away by a negative and talentless manager. The sad thing is the first truly world class striker we have had for a long time is going to be past his best by the time we have a decent manager. 
  • Winks over Foden. It’s like he’s aware of how negative he is and is doing it on purpose 
  • Laddick01 said:
    Belgium aren’t anything special that’s the worst part. 
    They've won 38 of their last 48 matches and only lost 3 matches in that time including the World Cup Semi against France
  • I’m really struggling with that HT sub
  • Laddick01 said:
    Belgium aren’t anything special that’s the worst part. 
    They've won 38 of their last 48 matches and only lost 3 matches in that time including the World Cup Semi against France
    Effective. But watching this and the return fixture they are far from unbeatable.
  • Laddick01 said:
    Winks over Foden. It’s like he’s aware of how negative he is and is doing it on purpose 
    Yeah I dont get that

England's problem is we dont have any pace but the bigger problem especially in this second half is they cant pass it round the opposition

If you're a good enough defender then whilst pace is frightening it should be possible to deal with it, worst case just drop deep and they cant get in behind you

Even someone Grealish is easy to counter against, just take it in turns to bring him down

In which case why not bring on the one player who can actually pass through the eye of a needle?
  • Like Grealish. He’s a starter no question.
  • Sponsored links:

• Every time Kane goes down Mourinho must be having a heart attack
  • Laddick01 said:
    Like Grealish. He’s a starter no question.
    Yeah I do, he's the type of player Jonny Williams could be (just not as good as Jack obviously)

Bit like Williams sometimes needs to learn when to pass rather than hold on to it
  • edited November 2020
    cafctom said:
    The problem with England since about 2018 is we're managing to beat D + C level international teams. 

You do realize that we beat Belgium only a month ago, right? And Spain quite recently as well? 

I don't think Southgate is a tactical genius by any stretch, far from it - but some of our fans have some very selective memories when it comes to England. There is absolutely zero patience shown.

Anyway, away from the usual "Southgate out"/England are terrible boring chat, we've actually not looked too bad in this first half and the scoreline doesn't necessarily reflect dominance on Belgium's part as far as the overall play goes.
    We've looked average for at least two years so there's been plenty of patience from me. 

Since the world cup Southgate has slowly been setting us up more + more negative with each game. This has led to us playing worse + worse.
    We've lost 3 games in the last 2 years, and shortly before that was a trip to the World Cup Semi Finals, so I'd argue that a lack of patience is being shown if already the manager requires sacking.....

Talk about 'easy group' or whatever you want about that World Cup, but we still got further than any other manager had taken us in 28 years, and we'd fallen to teams on a similar level (or worse) than the likes of Sweden and Colombia in tournaments before that under over managers.  

I doubt there are an abundance of international sides who have been in absolutely blistering form well beyond England's over the last two years.

Do I agree with Southgate's tactics all the time? No, I don't - but his results over the past two and a half years have earned him a bit of leeway IMO. 
  • Grealish is clearly the best player on the pitch. 
  • Belgium are dirty feckers arent they!!

Got visions of a yellow toothed bastard smiling everything we get a FK
  • We haven't been great but Belgium have been woeful - only interest up to now is to foul, foul and foul again. Rice shouldn't be near this team, Dier isn't as bad but still a no. Take Sterling and Rashford out this team and we look so pedestrian. 
  • Grealish has that perfect blend of talent and arrogance whilst not letting it consume him off the pitch. 

So glad he picked England.
  • Laddick01 said:
    Grealish has that perfect blend of talent and arrogance whilst not letting it consume him off the pitch. 

So glad he picked England.
    Whereas I still feel that we keep picking Rice because of the fuss that got kicked up when he chose us over Ireland

Feels like if we stop playing him everyone still start questioning why we bothered "poaching" him from Ireland in the first place
  • Rice is so far away from being good enough. 

If he wasn't Irish he'd be nowhere near this team.