Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What is the best gadget you own and why?

Comments

• Options
    Danepak said:

My vape, not had a cig in months.

Although I spend more money than when i smoked, I feel a million times healthier.

I thought vaping was way cheaper than cigarettes.
    That probably depends on where you live and the price of cigs there?!?
  • Options

Danepak said:

Although I spend more money than when i smoked, I feel a million times healthier.

That probably depends on where you live and the price of cigs there?!?
    Of course. Hadn't noticed that he lives in China, where I assume cigarettes are cheap.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Remote control for the tv. Anybody on here that says they’ve got a more useful gadget that they use more than that is lying...

Voice control-Alexa (via Honeywell) turns my tv on/off, changes channel and volume control.
  • Options
    Ross said:

cafcfan said:

Maybe some need to revisit the definition of gadget:
    a small mechanical or electronic device or tool, especially an ingenious or novel one.

Knives are not gadgets. Neither is a TV the size of a car.

Clearly your favourite gadget is the Oxford Dictionary
    No, that's not a gadget, that's a book. Are you getting the hang of this yet? (I prefer the Chambers Dictionary, BTW, although the lack of an apostrophe does distress me a little.)
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Danepak said:

I live in China, a pack of cigs can cost as little as 50p.

All my vape juice in imported and therefore pretty expensive.

*Edit, hadn't seen posts on page 3 :p
  • Options
    Harmony hub/Alexa. Controls my whole tv system with the touch of a button or my voice if I want to.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

a small mechanical or electronic device or tool, especially an ingenious or novel one.

My knives are electronic. Japanese knives powered by Japanese electricity.
  • Options
    Nespresso machine. No doubt you can get better machines that make better coffees but this has been used a shed load since we got it over 4 years ago
  • Options

cafcfan said:

My knives are electronic. Japanese knives powered by Japanese electricity.
    Occasionally I wish my Le Creuset "waiter's friend" was electric. But it is quite fine really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My iPad, as it allows me to run my company on the move and it has all the leisure pursuits I need.
    I have the Kindle app that allows me to read my books.
    The Netflix app for movies.
    And I can stream football and TV programmes via hesgoal.com and firstonetv.net.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

I work primarily from home these days ... listening to music whenever I want with superb sound through Bose speakers makes them my favourite gadget

Thinking of getting some....exactly what set up do you have ?
    Bose SoundLink III Bluetooth Portable Speaker, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, battery time of at least 14 hours.
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

I work primarily from home these days ... listening to music whenever I want with superb sound through Bose speakers makes them my favourite gadget

Bose SoundLink III Bluetooth Portable Speaker, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, battery time of at least 14 hours.
    And the cost?
    can't remember to be honest, had it four years or so now ... the sound is still excellent
    Looks like Amazon still ask £200. They ask £231 for my Cambridge Audio YoYo, but of course you want to Buy British, don't you? :-)

(Edit.) My YoYo only cost me £174 when I Bought British from a Czech retailer. Go figure...

• Options
    For 'mini'/single bluetooth speakers, there is none better than the KEF MUO (£300, British company too of course...even if it's made in China!)
  • Options
    One of those little things you put on the end of a tube of toothpaste & roll the tube up from the bottom.
  • Options

One of those little things you put on the end of a tube of toothpaste & roll the tube up from the bottom.

Is that a real thing - or a whole series of euphemisms?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Is that a real thing - or a whole series of euphemisms?
    It's just a large corn beef tin key.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

And the cost?
    can't remember to be honest, had it four years or so now ... the sound is still excellent
    Looks like Amazon still ask £200. They ask £231 for my Cambridge Audio YoYo, but of course you want to Buy British, don't you? :-)

(Edit.) My YoYo only cost me £174 when I Bought British from a Czech retailer. Go figure...

I just want quality, I don’t need to be xenophobic :wink:
  • Options

My newest gadget is this kettle (coming tomorrow) - that you can get Alexa (or the app) to start the boiling process - or set up to boil on a schedule (for like when you get up in the morning):
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/appkettle-ak000001-1-7L-Stainless-Electrical-Kettle/dp/B01M35A5SW
    !

this is like getting an alexa operated fax machine, I didn't think people still used kettles. surely better to get a boiling water dispenser or tap?

• Options
    holyjo said:

Garmin Edge 800

Least intuitive bit of kit I have but it records every MTB ride I do - speed , climb , cadence, distance and a host of other things. It automatically connects the data with Strava. I can download full detail OS maps on to it and also download GPX routes to follow. Particularly good for wilderness rides.

Not knocking this but asking a genuine question as I've recently started doing a lot of cycling. Why not use your phone that has GPS in it? Works for me but I guess the key issue is that with Strava on the screen it takes about 2 hours for the battery to drain if used continuously. Maybe I have answered my own question!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    rina said:

My newest gadget is this kettle (coming tomorrow) - that you can get Alexa (or the app) to start the boiling process - or set up to boil on a schedule (for like when you get up in the morning):
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/appkettle-ak000001-1-7L-Stainless-Electrical-Kettle/dp/B01M35A5SW
    !

this is like getting an alexa operated fax machine, I didn't think people still used kettles. surely better to get a boiling water dispenser or tap?

I’ve not done a survey - but I reckon most people still have kettles.

As I said above - I looked at a Quooker but didn’t fancy spending a grand.

The kettle is great btw.
  • Options
    One for the DIYers - Bosch laser tape measure, £40. Absolute game changer.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Love a disto
  • Options
    Has to be my DAB radio. I have a Pure Move 400D, rechargeable little thing. It's old style Walkman size and on a full charge will run for about 80 hours. It goes everywhere with me, house, garden, work, holidays etc. I pick it up and put it down in whatever room I'm in. Can be used as a portable speaker too. Cost about £80 five years ago. Love it. 
  • Options
    My cleverest gadget is my Thermos flask. It keeps hot drinks hot and cold drinks cold. But the clever bit is how it knows!
    Now this is a proper Charlton gadget. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    MrLargo said:
    I have one of these as well as the Bosch laser spirit level - they make things so much easier.