Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Premier League 2018/19 Thread

Comments

• Options
    The battle for Top 4 will be epic this season. Spurs, Arsenal and United competing for one place?
  • Options
    Reckon Spurs could have won had they been able to start with Winks / Alli / Erikson

Was midly impressed with Sissoko, though he did really well breaking up play and trying to break ankles - that Lamela miss though; dear god!!
  • Options
    not a bad game considering it was played on a links course .. Lamela, you lemon !
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Spurs midfield tonight is weak and static .. Dier, slow and never seems to get over 1/2 way line .. Dembele .. for me he's overrated .. Sissoko .. good defensive player, not skilful/subtle enough in attack … they miss Eriksen and I am surprised Alli is not out there and a bit less surprised that neither is Winks

You realise Spurs play West Ham in the cup in less than 48hrs time? Kane is not playing Wed night so he needs to have options to play with Llorente or Son.

Alli and Eriksen are just back from injury, Son has been flogged by South Korea so is getting a rest before the cup game.

Winks improved things when he came on. Cant fault Sissoko's work rate and he probably had his best game in a Spurs shirt tonight but he lacks real quality.

Lamela should have scored and would have put my house on him burying that the way he has played this season but wasnt to be.

On another night, that would have ended 3-3. Not a shameful result given the fixture list and needing to rest players.
  • Options
    Can Pochettino resist the lure of Real Madrid ? .. how much would ransom would Spurs demand to release him ? .. we will see
  • Options

Can Pochettino resist the lure of Real Madrid ? .. how much would ransom would Spurs demand to release him ? .. we will see

And honestly, who could blame him for going after being so badly let down by Levy and Lewis in the transfer market again.

Can already see Levy going for Chris Hughton to replace him.
  • Options
    I had on in the background at pool last night, really put me off the fact they still had all the lines from NFL. I agree its spurs fault but really wasn't pleasing on the eye and kept thinking there would be a touchdown.

Not a terrible result given circumstances, didn't really see much of the game to know whether it was a fair result. Poor goal to concede and saw Lamelas miss, though the was on form before too.
  • Options
    absolute joke playing any premier league game (let alone a game of that magnitude) on a pitch in that state.

especially given the money swilling around in the prem
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

absolute joke playing any premier league game (let alone a game of that magnitude) on a pitch in that state.

especially given the money swilling around in the prem

absolutely
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

And honestly, who could blame him for going after being so badly let down by Levy and Lewis in the transfer market again.

Would you be happy if Hughton was appointed? He's got a good record overall and knows the club well but his style is very defensive minded and not particularly easy on the eye. He'd have to adapt.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Spurs midfield tonight is weak and static .. Dier, slow and never seems to get over 1/2 way line .. Dembele .. for me he's overrated .. Sissoko .. good defensive player, not skilful/subtle enough in attack … they miss Eriksen and I am surprised Alli is not out there and a bit less surprised that neither is Winks

You realise Spurs play West Ham in the cup in less than 48hrs time? Kane is not playing Wed night so he needs to have options to play with Llorente or Son.

Alli and Eriksen are just back from injury, Son has been flogged by South Korea so is getting a rest before the cup game.

Winks improved things when he came on. Cant fault Sissoko's work rate and he probably had his best game in a Spurs shirt tonight but he lacks real quality.

Lamela should have scored and would have put my house on him burying that the way he has played this season but wasnt to be.

On another night, that would have ended 3-3. Not a shameful result given the fixture list and needing to rest players.
    City play Fulham on Thursday night, so both clubs will play 3 games in a week, City deserved to win, Tottenham did not have one shot on target, shocking, even on that pitch.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    alicwkd said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Would you be happy if Hughton was appointed? He's got a good record overall and knows the club well but his style is very defensive minded and not particularly easy on the eye. He'd have to adapt.
    I really dont know. There's not a lot of quality managers available right now. Who would want to work with Levy? That rules out any top managers who want to bring in world class players. Levy presumably would want someone to come in and work with the existing squad and promote youth, which has pretty much been the business model since ENIC took over in 2001. So that would rule out Conte (dont think his style of football is particularly attractive), Mourinho (if he was to get sacked of course - but there's also a chance that he could go Madrid himself and would then Utd come sniffing around Poch?), other than that who else is available? Wenger? Ha, christ. Thats why I think its likely to either Hughton or Eddie Howe at the top of the list before Levy looks further afield. I vaguely remember Levy sniffing around Brendan Rodgers a few years ago. I don't think I could see Sean Dyche at Spurs.

(Oh and dont forget that Hughton has actually been sacked by Levy before - Hughton was 1st team coach under Martin Jol and literally every Spurs manager previous to that back as far as the early 90s!)
  • Options

Eddie Howe's style of football would be more suited to Spurs than Hughton's you'd have thought. Martinez might be an option too, especially with the Belgian players in the team.

Tbh totally forgot about Martinez. He would definitely be an option.
  • Options
    Curbs is avaliable :trollface:
  • Options
    Spurs were winning 3-0. Now 3-2 as a result of Juan Foyth, making his PL debut, giving away not one but two pens. 10 mins to go.

One to watch for the future - Morgan Gibbs-White. Only 18 but looks like he has a touch of class.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Eddie Howe's style of football would be more suited to Spurs than Hughton's you'd have thought. Martinez might be an option too, especially with the Belgian players in the team.

Tbh totally forgot about Martinez. He would definitely be an option.
    I saw rumours about Martinez going to Madrid the other day. I like Poch and would rather him stay at Spurs and Martinez go to Madrid. Very selfish reason though. I don't follow the Spanish league (simply not interested) so if Poch went there, as a casual fan I would gradually stop following his career.
  • Options
    I think there are some worrying signs in the Prem this season. Just under a 1/3 of the way and we still have 3 unbeaten teams. Only one team outside of the current Top 5 have beaten a team in the Top 5 (Watford v Spurs sorry @JohnBoyUK) so far. We always used to say that one of the beauties of the Prem was that on any given day anyone could beat anyone. Is that still the case? It's not looking like it.
    Then of course there is the money, Fulham have spent over £100m and look where they are.
    Worrying? I think so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

I think there are some worrying signs in the Prem this season. Just under a 1/3 of the way and we still have 3 unbeaten teams. Only one team outside of the current Top 5 have beaten a team in the Top 5 (Watford v Spurs sorry @JohnBoyUK) so far. We always used to say that one of the beauties of the Prem was that on any given day anyone could beat anyone. Is that still the case? It's not looking like it.
    Then of course there is the money, Fulham have spent over £100m and look where they are.
    Worrying? I think so.

good article in the Times last week about this 'problem' .. following on from another thread, these type of stats indicate to me that eventually people will turn away from an uncompetitive competition and it'll hasten the advent of a euro or even worldwide league .. anyone here seen the classic SF film 'Rollerball' ?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    after 10 games.....
    2nd place (Liverpool) had more points than 2nd place in any previous PL season
    3rd place (Chelsea) had more points than any previous 3rd place after 10 games
    This was also true of 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th

Just further proof that the gap at the top is increasing and the weak are getting weaker
  • Options
    I don’t think there is much between the bottom 6 in the PL and top 6 of the championship, yet the championship remains a “anyone can beat anyone” type of league
  • Options
    Crucial win for Huddersfield over Fulham. The first PL managerial change of the season?
  • Options

after 10 games.....
    2nd place (Liverpool) had more points than 2nd place in any previous PL season
    3rd place (Chelsea) had more points than any previous 3rd place after 10 games
    This was also true of 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th

Just further proof that the gap at the top is increasing and the weak are getting weaker

I assume the reverse must be true for most of the bottom sides as well, as in lowest points tally after 10-11 games.

You have Palace who are utter shit, with 8 points from 11 games, which is on track for less than 30 points over the season................and they are sitting almost mid table in 14th.
  • Options

Crucial win for Huddersfield over Fulham. The first PL managerial change of the season?

2 very poor sides
  • Options

2 very poor sides
    I watched one Fulham game this season and that was back in August. They played Spurs and I was impressed by their performance thinking they would stay up this season. I haven't watched any of their games since. What happened? What is wrong with them? Very poor defensively?
  • Options

2 very poor sides
    I watched one Fulham game this season and that was back in August. They played Spurs and I was impressed by their performance thinking they would stay up this season. I haven't watched any of their games since. What happened? What is wrong with them? Very poor defensively?
    The manager has no idea what his best team is, and also has been playing a very attacking team which has regularly been taken apart. Not sure what happened yesterday, but now the goals have dried up as well (Mitrovic started the season very well)
  • Options

2 very poor sides
    The manager has no idea what his best team is, and also has been playing a very attacking team which has regularly been taken apart. Not sure what happened yesterday, but now the goals have dried up as well (Mitrovic started the season very well)
    Agree with that, he has no idea what his strongest team is. He should have just made a couple of additions that would suit the system they'd played to get promoted rather than do a complete overhaul. A couple of signings on what was already a decent spine of a team would have seen them in a much better place than they are now.
  • Options
    Well that was an enjoyable performance from Spurs last night.

The Independent got it spot on: "Moussa Sissoko, Tottenham’s anarcho-syndicalist, many-limbed enigma, weaves Chelsea into his dizzying vortex of chaos."

David Luiz, is there a professional footballer who blows hot and cold as much as him?