Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Albie Morgan - signed for Blackpool on a 3 year (+1 year option) deal (p54)

Comments

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Has a gig lined up allegedly. Not as surprised as some will be when he is back in the league above before us.
    A little surprised if that’s true, but in fairness he’s had a good season and is only 23 so makes some sense. Really don’t think that’s what he needs though, will just be more of the same for him. Not being a nailed on starter and his development suffering due to being in and out of the team. 

Think he’d be better off going to bottom half league 1/top end of league 2 where he’s guaranteed to play and won’t be dropped so quickly if he has a bad game so he can try and be more consistent 
    Close the thread ;-) 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Has a gig lined up allegedly. Not as surprised as some will be when he is back in the league above before us.
    Agreed.....Think he will thrive in a better team than us....two good feet and if he has a quick forward to hit can see him doing well 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

The amount of players not rated by Charlton fan/critics or the manager at the time who go on to play up a division or two is high.
    Morgan Fox has just been released but has been playing in the Championship, obviously Simon Francis played higher and Clarke the striker couldn't get in at Cafc but had a good scoring record at sheff United.
    Michael Smith has been a decent number 9 at Rotherham and now Wednesday spending time in the Champ above Cafc.
    Neil Etheridge has had a good career including the Championship.

Being released from Cafc or being sold for a fee can kick start your career not ruin it.
    That's 5 players.
    Big deal, you could probably find the same for any club.
    I'll stick my neck out and say Morgan won't be joining them

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

The amount of players not rated by Charlton fan/critics or the manager at the time who go on to play up a division or two is high.
    Morgan Fox has just been released but has been playing in the Championship, obviously Simon Francis played higher and Clarke the striker couldn't get in at Cafc but had a good scoring record at sheff United.
    Michael Smith has been a decent number 9 at Rotherham and now Wednesday spending time in the Champ above Cafc.
    Neil Etheridge has had a good career including the Championship.

Being released from Cafc or being sold for a fee can kick start your career not ruin it.
    That's 5 players.
    Big deal, you could probably find the same for any club.
    I'll stick my neck out and say Morgan won't be joining them

Reckon there's a reasonable chance we'll dispose of Wollacott and he'll end up higher than us.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    cafctom said:
    Yes, it’s the fans’ fault that he didn’t quite kick on - even though he had over 150+ games to prove himself…
    Not at all, but the whispers are that he turned an offer down 
    Hope he has something decent lined up then. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Not saying he'll be playing his trade the league above this season if the rumour is right a promotion contender - could mean newly relegated or failed to go up this year.
    More chance of me playing In the championship than. Him.
    And I'm 68 years old  and over 17 stone 
    He's been there and done it. 
  • Options
    I think this could be the making of Albie. He’s been at The Valley since he was nine I think and it must have all become very comfortable and familiar for him. I’m sure he’s putting in maximum effort but mentally perhaps it’s just a bit cosy. A new challenge with a point to prove could be just what he needs for him to kick on and bring out the obviously good player in there. I’m not that disappointed he’s moved on but I wish him well and I think he’ll carve out a decent career for himself. 
    Agree, much will depend on where he goes, and the team and coach he ends up with.
    Some moves happen and things click into place for a player, I hope that happens for Albie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    cafctom said:
    Yes, it’s the fans’ fault that he didn’t quite kick on - even though he had over 150+ games to prove himself…
    Not at all, but the whispers are that he turned an offer down 
    There is a god after all...
  • Options
    I think this could be the making of Albie. He’s been at The Valley since he was nine I think and it must have all become very comfortable and familiar for him. I’m sure he’s putting in maximum effort but mentally perhaps it’s just a bit cosy. A new challenge with a point to prove could be just what he needs for him to kick on and bring out the obviously good player in there. I’m not that disappointed he’s moved on but I wish him well and I think he’ll carve out a decent career for himself. 
    The telling factor in his release is that he only scored 8 goals for the club.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Not saying he'll be playing his trade the league above this season if the rumour is right a promotion contender - could mean newly relegated or failed to go up this year.
    More chance of me playing In the championship than. Him.
    And I'm 68 years old  and over 17 stone 
    He's been there and done it. 
    Been there and got relegated. 
    He won't be playing there again I assure you.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    7 assists and 4 goals this season is respectable enough though. 11 "goal involvements" is the same as CBT and only 2 behind Fraser.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/charlton-athletic/top-scorers/assists
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    7 assists and 4 goals this season is respectable enough though. 11 "goal involvements" is the same as CBT and only 2 behind Fraser.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/charlton-athletic/top-scorers/assists
    Also played 900 minutes more than CBT
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Crusty54 said:

2221 minutes vs 1714, so 500 actually. And in a different position on the pitch with more defensive responsibility.

My point wasn't to make Morgan into some sort of L1 De Bruyne, but to point out that other clubs will be noting his stats, and won't have the "baggage" that certain Charlton fans have about him.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Crusty54 said:

2221 minutes vs 1714, so 500 actually. And in a different position on the pitch with more defensive responsibility.

My point wasn't to make Morgan into some sort of L1 De Bruyne, but to point out that other clubs will be noting his stats, and won't have the "baggage" that certain Charlton fans have about him.
    looks like a difference of almost 900 to me here.... 

Plus Morgan has the advantage of playing the last 10 games of the season in a more settled side under Holden, where we won 5 and lost only 3

Anyway he's not good enough and has proved that over the past 3 seasons
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    For all those missing Morgan already, just remember this is Charlton we will probably sign him back again in January play him for a few games remember he is shit again then get rid again.
    …after his 3.5 year contract expires!
  • Options
    Look, we've all agreed he's too shit to play for us. Let's park this thread and start another one about Millwall.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think he will excel in a side where the midfield is built around him. Unfortunately we either haven't wanted to or haven't been able to and so we have shifted him around various midfield roles. We've tried him as a 10, we've tried him as more of a deep lying passer, we have tried him in between going box-to box. None of them have suited his game and so its been difficult to define what kind of midfielder he is. 

A team that can set their midfield up to play to his strengths will do well. Probably a lower league 1 side looking to outperform their size.
  • Options
    Albie Morgan is a professional footballer and I would've given my right arm to be paid to play football as long as I wasn't a keeper !

Morgan isn't a shit footballer, that was/is the majority of CL members when they play for the dog and duck 2nd team.

The default comment seems to be that Morgan, Inniss, Clare aren't good enough for a top 6 League 1 team. Does that imply the rest of the squad are ? 
    The wages are going to be good at Cafc next season if we are bringing in half a dozen players who are top league 1 players at least.

No problem with the 3 regulars being released if we bring in better players but that is a fucking great big IF.

That's a very reasonable question.

Morgan is often scapegoated as if the problems in our midfield are just down to him. Would Ipswich for example have wanted Fraser or Dobson in their side? We know the answer to the first one, as McKenna sold Fraser to us.

Similarly, our defence was just as creaky in the last few games of the season when Inniss didn't play. We let in 2 goals in each of the last 3 games, and against average opposition too.
  • Options
    Nice words , good luck Albie .
    The grammar police will be busy tidying that up .
  • Options
    Class. We shall of course wish Albie all the best in his future career.
  • Options
    Notice how Steve Avory ALWAYS gets mentioned by these lads.

All the best Albie.