Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    First round of the year today at Worplesdon Golf Club. Nice set up and a lovely course. A tad pricey though so a good time to play before the summer rates come into play. 
    Lovely course.  Sort of baby Wentworth. Played there quite regularly for a couple of years about 30 years ago. I bet it plays a lot shorter these days but not a course for sprayers!
    Only lost the one ball after a poor tee shot on the par 3 tenth landed in the water. 

Definitely not a course for sprayers. One lad lost 12 balls in his round today 

• Options
    Lullingstone is closed at the moment ..the company that runs it has gone tits up ..Sevenoaks council do expect it to re open though 

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    First round of the year today at Worplesdon Golf Club. Nice set up and a lovely course. A tad pricey though so a good time to play before the summer rates come into play. 
    One of the 3 "W"'s. Some of Surrey's finest courses. The other 2 are Woking & West Hill. 
  • Options
    Out with my cousin last night who said lullingstone is in trouble 
  • Options
    The company that owns and runs them as well as several leisure centers has gone bust. According to the news last night the course is closed as are the leisure centers 
  • Options
    The company that owns and runs them as well as several leisure centers has gone bust. According to the news last night the course is closed as are the leisure centers 
    The council has said that they are committed to reopening the facilities but how and when is uncertain. As the closure of Woodlands Manor a few years ago showed, you only have to leave a golf course for about a year with no attention and you’d struggle to know it had ever been there. I imagine the council will need to employ a contractor to keep it in condition even if it’s not open to the public. 
  • Options
    Lots of walkers & horse riders use it too. Ask them to take a strimmer round with them to keep the fairways in check 🙂
  • Options
    Shame, like that course. Sevenoaks Council seem committed to getting it reopened so fingers crossed 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2023
    One of my worst golfing experiences took place at Lullingstone. I used to be able to drive the first green as I was quite long (cue Kenneth Williams). Quite common nowadays but this was 30 odd years ago. I was playing off six at the time. A neighbour who had just moved into an adjacent block of flats got chatting to me over a beer at a communal barbie along the lines of “yeah I play a bit, let’s fix a knock some day”. In my “happy” state I readily agreed and the next Saturday at early o’clock we were in a very long queue to tee off. As the game in front approached their tee shots there was the usual hints of “off you go mate”, “it’ll be dark at six 0clock” and the usual banter from those behind us. I held off on the basis that I could reach the green but came under a lot of pressure to play given the growing queue (which was pretty much the norm at the time as it was more or less a roll up and tee times were simply an indication). I’d paid my money so I wasn’t going to knock a five iron up there just to get moving. The game in front dallied so the atmosphere on the tee was beginning to get a little tetchy so against my better judgement I fired one off which went through the game in front and onto the front of the green. Suitable abuse was hurled my way by those who I had nearly decapitated with threatening waving of clubs and sundry gesticulations. On the tee however there were shouts of “f… me mate” and “you should have waited”.  I think I know how a spit roast must feel! At that point my new found mate teed it up. Now, as an experienced golfer you just know by the way someone does simple things like bend down to put a tee in or lift their bag in a certain way that their entire golfing experience has been two games of pitch and putt about fifteen years earlier. My heart sank. My mate proceeded to take four air shots and finally topped one about ten yards. It took him about 20minutes to get to the green by which time I was calling games through us in embarrassment. The only consolation was that I’d missed the “welcome party” awaiting me on the green as they’d long since decided against shoving my driver up my jacksie in favour of moving on through the woods to the second tee. I completed my birdie and totted up my mate’s score as somewhere in the early thirties and off we toddled. By the third hole I was simply chipping wedges along while he continued to slash and chop himself into increasing anger (which admittedly was amusing). Several clubs were either broken or cast into the jungle never to be seen again. He was a redhead too and it was a very hot sunny day which added to the fun as he virtually exploded on at least two occasions. But he simply wouldn’t give up. He was attracting crowds at one point just to watch. I managed to the 11th tee as we were entering our fifth hour on the course before calling it a day and trudging off. We drove home without speaking and, although we remain friends to this day, the whole affair has never been mentioned. The joys of public golf courses. As someone who as also walked my dog around Luulingstone quite regularly, you don’t half see some sights!!
    Love anecdotes like this. The thing is with golf is that you really cant say anything to your playing partner. You just have to endure it like you did.

In the same vein I once had the "pleasure" to play with my younger bro' @jimmymelrose. Let's just say it took him almost 15 mins to reach the 1st green, with lots of air shots & standing frozen over the ball. When he eventually got near enough to the hole that a "gimmee" could be given he protested that as the aim of the game was to get the ball in the hole then he was going to hole out. Another few minutes went by as his ball bypassed the hole a few times on all sides. 

Couldn't argue with his logic but by heck it was a long round. Don't think I ever played with him again..... 
  • Options
    Played Woldringham Golf Club yesterday. One of the few courses open in Kent due to rain the last few weeks. Didn't play well as I was put off by the club logo I had to look at on the buggy.
  • Options
    Woldingham.
  • Options
    Still winter golf up here in Derbyshire.   Just finished Winter League, where we've had to play with mats through the course for 5 months.
    Played Sandy Lodge. Coltswolds, Forest of Arden and Aston Woods last week with five friends over 3 days and 3 nights.   Was a lot of fun, apart from the FIVE BALL that played all the way through Forest of Arden (Arden Championship course) - this lead to an ELEVEN BALL playing the 18th together - us and two other groups, so we could finish in the pitch black.   Using our phones to scour for balls on and around the green/bunkers on the 18th infamous par 3 over water.   Two balls were never found.

I complained to the pro shop the next day and they told us that they had told the five ball to not play as a five ball on the 9th hole but due to it being March, their course marshalls finish at 4pm... I mean ... wtf!

All I can say is Forest of Arden was a shit show.   Ran out of all Old Moult ciders Friday evening, along with Stella and Stella Cider on tap, so they comped our total drinks Friday night and have given me a free 4 ball for the Arden and life time Visitor's guests rate anytime I play there.   Which is ok.   I still can't believe they allowed a five ball to take 5 hours to get round their Championship course though!
  • Options
    If this doesn't put you off your stroke nothing will.
  • Options
    Played Lullingstone yesterday for the first time since it reopened. It was in surprisingly good condition, the bunkers are decent compared to 2 years ago and the greens were running well.

The course was so quiet for a sunny, bank holiday Sunday. Hopefully they advertise it, run some deals and sort out their website (it doesn't even show green fees) so it doesn't fall into disrepair again.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    Played Lullingstone yesterday for the first time since it reopened. It was in surprisingly good condition, the bunkers are decent compared to 2 years ago and the greens were running well.

The course was so quiet for a sunny, bank holiday Sunday. Hopefully they advertise it, run some deals and sort out their website (it doesn't even show green fees) so it doesn't fall into disrepair again.
    So glad to hear it's re-opened.  Will go down there in the summer and reminisce.   I was proper shit as a kid when I last played there.

• Options
    StAlf198 said:
    If this doesn't put you off your stroke nothing will.
     I’ve never been so disgusted in all my life.  
  • Options
    Playing there in July with our society. Been a few times before. Not a bad society venue despite the Palarse connotations 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Playing there in July with our society. Been a few times before. Not a bad society venue despite the Palarse connotations 
    The Ron Noades connection alas.  At least The Addington, where I'm still a Country Member doesn't have anything like that!
  • Options
    Played today at Lingfield, do so every year as it's a charity event.

Now since I played this time last year I have played one round in September so wasn't holding out much hope.

Ended an embarrassing day when I managed a gross 7 over par and 46 points. Think I've only ever shot once under 80 and that was 20 years ago. Just everything went perfect, holed a couple of long puts and even missed 2 sitters on the back 9.

Think it's time to hang up my clubs as won't get any better than that.
  • Options
    What condition was Lingfield?  Used to really like the course but heard bad things
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    What condition was Lingfield?  Used to really like the course but heard bad things
    Greens were quite poor compared to the last few times I'd played. Bunkers were dire. It does seem to have slipped as a few years back was quite good. 

Much better courses around. Woldingham was quite good last September.
  • Options
    That’s disappointing, playing Lingfield in 4 weeks on way back from playing Cooden Beach. Hopefully some rain over the next month help give it some help
  • Options
    Great shooting @Rob7Lee well done mate 
  • Options
    That’s disappointing, playing Lingfield in 4 weeks on way back from playing Cooden Beach. Hopefully some rain over the next month help give it some help
    Don't think it's lack of rain to be honest. They firstly need to buy some sand! The greens were poorly maintained, looks like pitch marks not repaired. Hopefully sorted over the next month for you. 
  • Options
    Played a round at the Emirates course in Dubai back in April. Lovely course in good nick, although the clubs I hired were pretty poor. Nicevtime on the driving range- I seemed to be very much on form. Until the first tee. Horrible slice into the rough, and in Dubai, the rough has sgrubsctgat eat golf balls alive.  And that was howvitvwent. I took nine balls with me, and halfway round I had lost eight of them, and was playing tricky shots with a driving range ball I found by a lake.
    I had a tee shot that went to the green, everything else was sliced. The 18th, which I hoped to sign off in style, was a medley of every dumb shot I'd played. My five approach shots to the lake at least meant I was so near it I had a simple chip onto the green, but I finished the 18th in double figures.
    A great morning entirely spoilt by the golf. At least I had some souvenir Emirstes golf balls, which I had to buy when my range ball went into a lake.
  • Options
    Just being nosey. I'm a member at Cooden Beach. Are you down with a Society or just social golf?
  • Options
    Hi @MattTeesHeader, social. Visitor with county card. Really looking forward to playing there so keep replacing your divots please :-)