Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Sounds awesome 
    Sounds like f*****g hard work!
  • Options
    They only played the French Open there 10 days ago. Must have been set up perfectly for you.
    It was pristine
    It's up there now in my top courses and the staff, despite being French, were really helpful!
  • Options
    that's amazing, would love to play there.

playing golf on the 21st Oct, have only picked my clubs up once since playing the Belfrey on my 40th Birthday (8 years ago)....kids and life just got in the way, desperate to get back playing now but need to make time for it, weekends are just too busy.
  • Options
    that's amazing, would love to play there.

playing golf on the 21st Oct, have only picked my clubs up once since playing the Belfrey on my 40th Birthday (8 years ago)....kids and life just got in the way, desperate to get back playing now but need to make time for it, weekends are just too busy.
    Saturday's between 3 & 5 are now free - nothing else worth doing  :)
  • Options
    Out with the boys in Brittany, just played Golf de L’Odet, really pleased, went round in 4 over 76 having never stepped foot on the course before.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    I've finished the golf part of my Melbourne holiday, I wanted to see what Sandbelt golf is like. Some courses are firmer than others but it's most similar to links golf except the ball doesn't run as far because of the types of grass, the greens are damn quick and usually the only good miss is short. The fairways are often very wide and the bunkers have compact sand. I have struggled to score well, there aren't visitor tees and you're usually put with members so you're obliged to play 6600-6700 yards. 

Metropolitan, renowned for having fast greens and no fringes between greens and bunkers.

Victoria. Host of the Oz Open soon. 

Woodlands - narrower and more overgrown. Felt as much parkland as Sandbelt. Had signs to look out for snakes.

Yarra Yarra - my favourite. Had all the trees removed recently, has a real feeling of grandeur, had the best par 3s and the fastest greens I've ever tried.

Spring Valley - same as Woodlands.

Royal Melbourne East - has 6 of the President's Cup layout but you spend a lot of time staring at the West (which I couldn't get on).

Sandy Links - sat snugly between Royal Melbourne and Victoria, it's a £30 5400 yard public course maintained by RM's greenkeepers. Very good.

Then I'm playing in Dubai on Monday, going out to Arabian Ranches rather than playing one of the big courses as it looks more desert-y
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    I've finished the golf part of my Melbourne holiday, I wanted to see what Sandbelt golf is like. Some courses are firmer than others but it's most similar to links golf except the ball doesn't run as far because of the types of grass, the greens are damn quick and usually the only good miss is short. The fairways are often very wide and the bunkers have compact sand. I have struggled to score well, there aren't visitor tees and you're usually put with members so you're obliged to play 6600-6700 yards. 

Metropolitan, renowned for having fast greens and no fringes between greens and bunkers.

Victoria. Host of the Oz Open soon. 

Woodlands - narrower and more overgrown. Felt as much parkland as Sandbelt. Had signs to look out for snakes.

Yarra Yarra - my favourite. Had all the trees removed recently, has a real feeling of grandeur, had the best par 3s and the fastest greens I've ever tried.

Spring Valley - same as Woodlands.

Royal Melbourne East - has 6 of the President's Cup layout but you spend a lot of time staring at the West (which I couldn't get on).

Sandy Links - sat snugly between Royal Melbourne and Victoria, it's a £30 5400 yard public course maintained by RM's greenkeepers. Very good.

Then I'm playing in Dubai on Monday, going out to Arabian Ranches rather than playing one of the big courses as it looks more desert-y
    I’m not jealous. 
    I’m not jealous 
    I’m not jealous
    I'm not jealous

sod it, I’m jealous!
  • Options
    Teeing off in an hour and will be -2 degrees.

Morning for the diehards!
  • Options
    where you paying @AFKABartram

I’m due to play Tuesday at Ingrebourne Links hoping the frost is not too bad 
  • Options
    Teeing off in an hour and will be -2 degrees.

Morning for the diehards!
    Get your coloured balls out oooooerrrr 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Bexleyheath @magic1999

managed 32 points which was pretty amazing given conditions. Mate landed a tee shot on a frozen green and it bounced so hard high and far it ended up through the next holes green!

A day for the red balls!
    I’d have thought your balls would have been blue mate.
  • Options
    Oh well my visit to Ingrebourne was a total white out !!!! so next on the list is West Kent this coming Tuesday fingers crossed its clear as currently still covered in snow according to the Pro this morning
  • Options
    Had no snow in my little corner of Kent meaning North Foreland has been open everyday 😊
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    ^That is a quality photo

I'm still a month or two away from playing locally but went to USA recently. I played Presidio which is an upscale muni in San Francisco:

Then Angel Park in Las Vegas. It's a lower tier course there but the upmarket ones charge $80-90 for club rental and I was happy playing anywhere with some canyons and ravines:

That round was absolutely freezing, I never thought desert would be so cold. They include an old 'rock club' in the rental set so you don't damage their nice clubs in the desert. 
  • Options
    Just back from a very enjoyable 2 days at Thorpeness. Really like that course, a tough challenge up on the Suffolk coast but in great condition. 32 of us in our group and a cracking laugh and much needed break. 

Love that course. Often went up for the day & played 36 holes. Also stayed there for 2 days for the Old Bexlians golf day. 
  • Options
    Just back from a very enjoyable 2 days at Thorpeness. Really like that course, a tough challenge up on the Suffolk coast but in great condition. 32 of us in our group and a cracking laugh and much needed break. 

Great course and great pic! Have been up there a few times and combined with playing at Aldeburgh. Two great golf courses and a lovely place to go! 
  • Options
    Took a trip down memory lane today and played at High Elms ...its a shadow of its former self..lots of hikers/dog walkers just strolling along fairways/dog mess in bunkers ..I wouldn't be surprised if it goes the same way as Beckenham Place Park 
  • Options
    Sad to hear @lolwray

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    lolwray said:
    Took a trip down memory lane today and played at High Elms ...its a shadow of its former self..lots of hikers/dog walkers just strolling along fairways/dog mess in bunkers ..I wouldn't be surprised if it goes the same way as Beckenham Place Park 
    That don’t sound good we have a hastily arranged society game there in a couple of weeks
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    lolwray said:
    That don’t sound good we have a hastily arranged society game there in a couple of weeks
    Leave the 5 wood at home and put a pooper scooper in your bag
  • Options
    Really pissed off that Southern Valley golf club in Northfleet was recently closed due to the new Thames crossing,this has now been delayed for a further 2 years,so a decent public course is just sitting there,(Like Deangate ridge in Hoo) going to waste.
  • Options
    Really pissed off that Southern Valley golf club in Northfleet was recently closed due to the new Thames crossing,this has now been delayed for a further 2 years,so a decent public course is just sitting there,(Like Deangate ridge in Hoo) going to waste.
    Not only that, the local kids have wrecked it by riding motorbikes across it - looks like a ploughed field now
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    That’s disappointing. Played my first ever game of golf there and remember my score, 144 and I’m sure there must have been a few gimmes in there as well. No booking system, just Sunday morning, get there really early and take your place in the queue. Seemed to be teeing off with about 50 other golfers watching you on the tee.
  • Options
    Not only that, the local kids have wrecked it by riding motorbikes across it - looks like a ploughed field now
    Back to what is was 25 years ago then.....and probably better for it 😄
  • Options
    Sad to hear @lolwray

I haven't played there for 20 years probably but remember it with great affection..perhaps it's the nostalgia that got the better of me.Teed off at 12.30 ..no one infront or behind ..played off winter tees ..no sign that the " summer/grass"  tee boxes were being prepared..
  • Options
    Back to what is was 25 years ago then.....and probably better for it 😄
    I played there day before my wedding 22 years ago. Baking hot day, virtually no tree cover and ended up near burning my face
  • Options
    First round of the year today at Worplesdon Golf Club. Nice set up and a lovely course. A tad pricey though so a good time to play before the summer rates come into play. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    First round of the year today at Worplesdon Golf Club. Nice set up and a lovely course. A tad pricey though so a good time to play before the summer rates come into play. 
    Lovely course.  Sort of baby Wentworth. Played there quite regularly for a couple of years about 30 years ago. I bet it plays a lot shorter these days but not a course for sprayers!