Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    dickad1 said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    I was a member of both Austin Lodge and Woodlands Manor. Redlibbets survived my jinx. Hopefully north foreland will also🙏🏼
    I was a member at Woodlands - what years were you there ?
    When Austin Lodge closed we were offered 18 months at Woodlands for a bargain £599 but we didn’t renew after that because it was so boggy in winter. Instead we joined Redlibbets which felt a big step up 
    I was a member at Woodlands when you were there then - there was a bloke who came from Austin Lodge, drove an Audi TT, lived in London (Canary Wharf I think) - I played him in the club singles knock out comp - he got annoyed with me on 16th hole - I was 1 up playing that hole, he carved one into the woods on the left from the fairway - shouted ‘provisional’ dropped a ball and hit a shot that ended up a few inches from the hole - however I had seen where his first ball had gone in - he started to walk to the green, and I said ‘I think I know where your ball is’ - he didn’t want to try and find it, but I found it very quickly in a horrible place behind a tree - took him about 4 shots to get it out, and was by this point fuming - I won the hole with a 7 (it was a par 5) - we halved 17, so I won 2 up

He didn’t speak to me all the way up 17, or shake my hand after 17, and when we got to pro shop he asked the pro what the rule was, and pro said I was right, and that if he hadn’t shouted ‘provisional’ then the first ball was considered ‘dead’

Probably wasn’t a good idea for me to laugh after pro said that 😳

Bloke never spoke to me again 
    Was he an Aussie? 

Knew an Aussie who moved from Austin Lodge to Woodlands and lived near Canary Wharf..

..but I think he drove a Honda!!
    I know the bloke you mean, but it wasn’t him
  • Options
    Highlight of the day though was hitting a wayward tee shot 150 yards straight into @RedArmySE7 sitting in a buggy. On the plus side I didn’t have to search for my ball, but he did make it a long 2nd shot! Lovely red mark on his arm.

Ps. Forgot to say just how brutal the rough is there. Of course if you stay straight then It shouldn’t bother 
    You, but that’s easier said than done and even harder with the fairways so dry. 
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    I was a member of both Austin Lodge and Woodlands Manor. Redlibbets survived my jinx. Hopefully north foreland will also🙏🏼
    When Austin Lodge closed we were offered 18 months at Woodlands for a bargain £599 but we didn’t renew after that because it was so boggy in winter. Instead we joined Redlibbets which felt a big step up 
    I was a member at Woodlands when you were there then - there was a bloke who came from Austin Lodge, drove an Audi TT, lived in London (Canary Wharf I think) - I played him in the club singles knock out comp - he got annoyed with me on 16th hole - I was 1 up playing that hole, he carved one into the woods on the left from the fairway - shouted ‘provisional’ dropped a ball and hit a shot that ended up a few inches from the hole - however I had seen where his first ball had gone in - he started to walk to the green, and I said ‘I think I know where your ball is’ - he didn’t want to try and find it, but I found it very quickly in a horrible place behind a tree - took him about 4 shots to get it out, and was by this point fuming - I won the hole with a 7 (it was a par 5) - we halved 17, so I won 2 up

He didn’t speak to me all the way up 17, or shake my hand after 17, and when we got to pro shop he asked the pro what the rule was, and pro said I was right, and that if he hadn’t shouted ‘provisional’ then the first ball was considered ‘dead’

The "lost ball" is an odd ruling as you dont have to go & look for it yourself but you do have to identify it if found by someone else.

No clue what the etiquette is if he had sauntered over & just said "nah, ain't mine" and carried on with his provisional. Could you call him out over it ? Do we really know 100% what ball our partner/opponent is playing with seeing as there could be a few Titelist /Srixon/ Top Flite's in the rough and unless you mark your ball with a distinctive mark then who's to say that the one you found was definitely his.

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Taxi_Lad said:

The "lost ball" is an odd ruling as you dont have to go & look for it yourself but you do have to identify it if found by someone else.

No clue what the etiquette is if he had sauntered over & just said "nah, ain't mine" and carried on with his provisional. Could you call him out over it ? Do we really know 100% what ball our partner/opponent is playing with seeing as there could be a few Titelist /Srixon/ Top Flite's in the rough and unless you mark your ball with a distinctive mark then who's to say that the one you found was definitely his.

Well….

So I was a pretty good golfer back then - not single handicap, but either 12 or 13 handicap at the time

I was also rather ruthless, especially if I knew the ruling in a certain situation

So at the start of the round of golf in question, I marked my ball with a permanent marker using a rather nice ball marker which drew out the Union Flag - both side of my ball - in fact I marked 5 balls (just in case) and I showed him what I had done 

As it was a competition, I asked him to mark 5 balls as well, which he did, but under protest, as he thought I was being OTT - he marked his using another ball marker I had - can’t remember what the marking was

So, in my mind, I have pissed him off before we start - and I had - he played like dog poo for most of the front 9, and at the turn I was 4 up

Cue trouble - all of a sudden, on 11th hole my driving off the tee took on a mind of its own, and I was spraying it about like an uncontrolled hose

He starts reeling me in

We get to 16th, I am now only 1 up, and I’m ‘concerned’

On that 16th, I drive ok, at least with a draw, and on the fairway, but he drives about 40 yards beyond me - I play my 2nd shot - it’s ok

But at the 16th at Woodlands, the green was below the fairway, so you didn’t know if there were players there, even if the flag was in - it was always best to check

So I thought I could play a bit of mind games with him - I walked up to him and asked ‘are you going for green in 2’ (it’s a par 5 remember) - he said ‘yes’ - so I said ‘I will go and check the green is clear, because my ball is not far from the dip in the ground’ - he was ok with that

I slowly walk to my ball, to delay him as much as possible, get to my ball, wave back to say it’s ok to play

He has waited rather a long time now, and fucks his shot up with a horrible hook, and it goes into the woods on the left almost right in front of me - I know exactly where it is

Before I can say anything (let’s be honest, I wasn’t going to say anything 🤣) he plays the Gerry Adams

From that point, I know he has to play the ball in the woods, and because I made him mark his ball, it was defo 100% his ball when I pointed it out to him behind the tree

In 17th tee, having won 16, my driving returned, and I crunched one right up the middle - from that point, he knew he was toast 

And before anyone leaps on me re playing golf that way, yep, I tried every trick in the book, but within the rules back then - but no longer am I like that - I was obsessive about golf then, but I couldn’t give a toss now - just play for fun
  • Options
    Sod playing with you then, we would have had a major fall out carrying on like that! 
  • Options
    Highlight of the day though was hitting a wayward tee shot 150 yards straight into @RedArmySE7 sitting in a buggy. On the plus side I didn’t have to search for my ball, but he did make it a long 2nd shot! Lovely red mark on his arm.

Ps. Forgot to say just how brutal the rough is there. Of course if you stay straight then It shouldn’t bother 
    You, but that’s easier said than done and even harder with the fairways so dry. 
    Why did you remove the flag option?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Sod playing with you then, we would have had a major fall out carrying on like that! 
    Please take note of my final comment !!!

Yes, you would have hated playing golf with me 10 years ago - I stress 10 YEARS (I might be a little out on that, as I can’t remember when Austin Lodge closed) - but now I am a lovely little cuddly puppy to play with

You wanna mulligan, go on then, fill yer boots 😉
  • Options

Yes, you would have hated playing golf with me 10 years ago - I stress 10 YEARS (I might be a little out on that, as I can’t remember when Austin Lodge closed) - but now I am a lovely little cuddly puppy to play with

But to be clear, I never cheated - all within the rules - gamesmanship is the best description

All history now, and I have no idea how my marriage survived me being a member at Woodlands - my wife was a ‘golf widow’ for a number of years, so Lady Flash, I salute you for still being Mrs Flash
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I was a member at Woodlands between 1990 and 1995. Tried to get into Dartford but it was very snooty with a long waiting list at the time. My impressive handicap certificate counted for diddly squat. I gave up woodlands when my kids were born as I couldn’t afford it and the time commitment including the travelling together with the fact that I couldn’t have a beer just meant I couldn’t justify it. I got into Dartford many years later funnily enough. Guess their standards slipped🤣. I enjoyed the bottom 9 at Woodlands but thought the top 9 was rubbish. They further botched it when they put in a reservoir about 15 years ago. The Eiger to start wasn’t something you looked forward to!

North Foreland is great. Last time I played there they did a great seafood platter in the lounge which worked out about 12 quid each between four of us and would have fed an army. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Played the 9 at Pedham again on Saturday with my daughter. Her game’s really coming on and is getting much more distance (well over 100 yards with her 7 iron).

My rotator cuff is still not 100% so my swing is still a bit restricted. Really enjoying getting out and playing again though. 
  • Options
    Ditto.

I hated having markings on my ball & would have refused point blank to "mark" my ball. My golf bag always had around 10-12 "lake balls" or balls I found on my way round (playing partner was fastidious in looking for lost balls) but I would throw back/not pick up/ignore any balls I found that had markings/initials on. 
  • Options
    I was a member at Woodlands between 1990 and 1995. Tried to get into Dartford but it was very snooty with a long waiting list at the time. My impressive handicap certificate counted for diddly squat. I gave up woodlands when my kids were born as I couldn’t afford it and the time commitment including the travelling together with the fact that I couldn’t have a beer just meant I couldn’t justify it. I got into Dartford many years later funnily enough. Guess their standards slipped🤣. I enjoyed the bottom 9 at Woodlands but thought the top 9 was rubbish. They further botched it when they put in a reservoir about 15 years ago. The Eiger to start wasn’t something you looked forward to!

North Foreland is great. Last time I played there they did a great seafood platter in the lounge which worked out about 12 quid each between four of us and would have fed an army. 
    I’m born and bred Dartford - and a proud Dartfordian - but Dartford golf course is shite - cut in half when they built the A2, it’s trying to squeeze 18 holes into an area which should only have 9 holes in it - awful course - in my opinion of course
  • Options

I’m born and bred Dartford - and a proud Dartfordian - but Dartford golf course is shite - cut in half when they built the A2, it’s trying to squeeze 18 holes into an area which should only have 9 holes in it - awful course - in my opinion of course
    It is an average course at best but it had the fundamental advantage of being a 15 minute walk from my house. It often took a lot longer to stagger home!  It was also a very good members club when it removed its head from its own arse. Imade many lifelong friends there. 
  • Options
    Ditto.

I hated having markings on my ball & would have refused point blank to "mark" my ball. My golf bag always had around 10-12 "lake balls" or balls I found on my way round (playing partner was fastidious in looking for lost balls) but I would throw back/not pick up/ignore any balls I found that had markings/initials on. 
    Context needed here - Woodlands had a big club culture, and comps mattered - I don’t think it’s unacceptable in a club comp to ask the person you are playing to match up with what you are doing i.e. I’m marking 5 balls, will you do the same ?

If the person you are playing says ‘nope, I’m not playing with a marked ball’ - then ok, I’m gonna do the same

So turn my 16th hole issue the other way round, and I carve it into the woods - who benefits……..

So, do you want to win your singles match, within the rules, or not…..

Or, do you want to go in the woods, find a Srixon Z Star 1, with no markings, but you know your opponent was playing a Z Star 1, and he denies that is his ball

Discuss…..
  • Options
    Ditto.

Context needed here - Woodlands had a big club culture, and comps mattered - I don’t think it’s unacceptable in a club comp to ask the person you are playing to match up with what you are doing i.e. I’m marking 5 balls, will you do the same ?

If the person you are playing says ‘nope, I’m not playing with a marked ball’ - then ok, I’m gonna do the same

So turn my 16th hole issue the other way round, and I carve it into the woods - who benefits……..

So, do you want to win your singles match, within the rules, or not…..

Or, do you want to go in the woods, find a Srixon Z Star 1, with no markings, but you know your opponent was playing a Z Star 1, and he denies that is his ball

Discuss…..
    People cheat. Whether it's in golf, on their loved one or in general life with their taxes etc. If they are happy with that then thats between them & their conscience. However,  I like to think that generally most people are honest & if my golf partner/opponent said it isnt their ball then it isnt their ball. Life's too short. Forget it & play the next hole. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    You SHOULD mark your ball so you can identify it at all times, even when on the fairway.  If you don't, if one of your playing partners tells you that isn't your ball you can't prove that it is......
  • Options
    Bollocks to all these rules,glad I only play for fun,ball goes into the woods,and you find a ball(might not be yours)that will do play that one,stuck behind a tree,the toe wedge becomes an option.Seriously I play about 6 societies a year when I adhere to the rules as there is prize money at stake,but in general,me and my mates within reason just go out and enjoy the exercise and banter.
  • Options

But to be clear, I never cheated - all within the rules - gamesmanship is the best description

All history now, and I have no idea how my marriage survived me being a member at Woodlands - my wife was a ‘golf widow’ for a number of years, so Lady Flash, I salute you for still being Mrs Flash

Was it gamesmanship that lead to you losing your peerage? ;-)
  • Options
    @AFKABartram
    Thanks for the update. Glad you enjoyed it. must say im very happy to have such a good course on my doorstep and im certainly getting my moneys worth from my membership (3 rounds in the last 4 days) for example :#
    i was killing the front 9 nine today until i took 4 shots to get out of a bunker om the 6th  :s  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Played Girvan yesterday evening. Nice course, far off in the background is the Mull of Kintrye.
    Only played once in the last five years, surprised how many par putts I had, not so surprised how many I didn’t get. Only lost one ball and my glasses 👓.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Belfry yesterday and this morning. Brabazon fantastic. PGA National not as tough and now the rough has been cut back, nowhere near as hard to get out off now. 

First time back since 2001 and it was very enjoyable 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Belfry yesterday and this morning. Brabazon fantastic. PGA National not as tough and now the rough has been cut back, nowhere near as hard to get out off now. 

First time back since 2001 and it was very enjoyable 
    Played both last week,have to agree with you,the Brabazon is a fantastic golf course,really enjoyed the day,that 18th hole is a bit of a brute isnt it?! The PGA is still a good course even with the rough cut back and had a great round on there.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Ps. That thing in the distance is actually Alisa Craig. Sorry to be a pedant. 

Edit. No your right. I stand corrected (sorry!). The far distance after Alisa Craig distance is indeed Paul McCartney country
  • Options
    Ps. That thing in the distance is actually Alisa Craig. Sorry to be a pedant. 

Edit. No your right. I stand corrected (sorry!). The far distance after Alisa Craig distance is indeed Paul McCartney country
    And on the Mull of Kintyre is  Machrihennish. A bit out of the way but a course you have to play if only for the 1st hole.  
  • Options
    Anyone played Boundary Lakes next to the Ageas Bowl?
  • Options
    Sounds awesome 
  • Options
    They only played the French Open there 10 days ago. Must have been set up perfectly for you.