Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Still haven’t been able to play since I broke my collar bone in August. Had a metal bar fitted and currently having physio. Not being able to play has really frustrated me and affected me in all different ways. Hopefully at my next physio appointment at the end of this month I will be cleared to play. Hopefully my swing isn’t affected!
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    supaclive said:
    We REALLY do have to do a Charlton Life golf tournament next year!
    I’d be right up for that👍
    Yep I would be up for that
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    Still haven’t been able to play since I broke my collar bone in August. Had a metal bar fitted and currently having physio. Not being able to play has really frustrated me and affected me in all different ways. Hopefully at my next physio appointment at the end of this month I will be cleared to play. Hopefully my swing isn’t affected!
    Is that you throwing out the excuses for a high handicap if we get a Charlton Life comp up and running

Seriously matey hope you can get back swinging a club 
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    Dizzle said:
    Is that you throwing out the excuses for a high handicap if we get a Charlton Life comp up and running

Seriously matey hope you can get back swinging a club 
    I never had a low handicap before the injury to be fair! 

Cheers Magic1999. Hopefully I’m back into the swing of things by the time any kind of tournament could be arranged. Pun intended 😀
  • Options
    Had a lesson Monday
    Worked on the driver
    Very happy with the results
    However fear I'll need to take a basket with an alignment stick protruding out of it to get me to have the correct takeaway and swing path!
  • Options
    Looks like a nice little baby draw you have there @supaclive
  • Options
    Anyone go the Southfield driving range in Gravesend?

Nothing great about it. Just good for casual practice with a 7iron
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    Looks like a nice little baby draw you have there @supaclive
    In a lesson
    With a bucket and stick showing me correct swingpath yes...
    Got a LOT of work to do with the big stick!
  • Options
    Just received a belated 50th birthday present from the wife's family .... voucher for 18 holes at Royal St Georges (Valid until March 2023) for those of you who have had the pleasure of playing the course before whats a good month to play ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would go for mid-late July as that'll be the nearest Open conditions. Links courses look and play best when a bit brown, and using it outside summer you'd be writing off some of the voucher money. 

The rough is highest and thickest in summer though. 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    I would go for mid-late July as that'll be the nearest Open conditions. Links courses look and play best when a bit brown, and using it outside summer you'd be writing off some of the voucher money. 

The rough is highest and thickest in summer though. 
    Thank you
  • Options
    Played a couple of rounds at sedlescombe recently ( on a21 between battle and hastings) ..not the longest course but some challenging holes 
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    Just received a belated 50th birthday present from the wife's family .... voucher for 18 holes at Royal St Georges (Valid until March 2023) for those of you who have had the pleasure of playing the course before whats a good month to play ? 
    Be prepared for the toughest round of golf you will ever play - wind or no wind !!!

An absolute brute of a golf course

Oh and read the dress regulations carefully - they don’t muck about…..

Enjoy it though - a magical place

If I were you - make a w/e of it and play Princes on (say) the Sunday - much more forgiving, but still a test (particularly the Shore 9)
  • Options
    Nice to play some links golf up in Hartlepool, no sea views at Seaton Carew but the factories always in the background are unique. 

• Options
    Played at the London club yesterday,international course,at the age of 78,as part of a memorial society for a good friend.Will not mention my performance,but this was physical torture.Absolutely loved the course but with the crap conditions and the very hilly layout,my dear old legs had well and truly had it by the end.A shout for the club,as visitors you often wonder how you will be accepted at a club of this stature.From the time we arrived until we left,the staff and members could not have been more sociable and helpful,helped make for a great day,fully fully fitting for the man we were remembering.
    I did win the nearest the pin on the second par 3 over the lake,well pleased with that.
    Wow, well done, I’d imagine the buzz you got from the shot on that par 3 over the lake got you up that hill!!, it is a good club the staff are friendly, just bloody expensive, they used to knock the twilight rate out at  £50 which makes it very good value for that condition of course. I love playing both courses there.👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just had two days at Celtic Manor,with my 2 sons and a friend.Played the 2010 first day,,to be honest,other than the prestige of playing this course,it is really quite difficult if like us you are a high handicapper.Nevertheless,what a great experience,played the Roman Road course next day,still a challenge,but much more suitable for the average golfer.The whole set up there is very welcoming,you really do feel appreciated.
  • Options
    Just had two days at Celtic Manor,with my 2 sons and a friend.Played the 2010 first day,,to be honest,other than the prestige of playing this course,it is really quite difficult if like us you are a high handicapper.Nevertheless,what a great experience,played the Roman Road course next day,still a challenge,but much more suitable for the average golfer.The whole set up there is very welcoming,you really do feel appreciated.
    You must have been there same time as me, I played Roman Road on Monday and Montgomerie on Tues. Our group too tight to pay the extra for 2010. Found Roman Road a little easier than the Montgomerie particularly walking - the Montgomerie is a brutal trek and the back 9 played tough. 
  • Options
    We were there tuesday and wednesday,we had buggies on both days,but as they were only allowed on the paths,the amount of walking was still substantial,I am 78 and could never have walked around the 2010,without collapsing.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

I’m just back from a Northern Ireland golf trip, the Portrush area has some stereotypically Irish courses but they’re concentrated together and near towns, unlike the big ones in the Republic.

Warmed up at Portstewart – Riverside, the cheaper links-parkland hybrid companion to Portstewart’s Irish Open course.

Royal Portrush – Dunluce could be the best course on the Open rota. I’ve played all of the current rota now and none have as much drama, scenery or up and downs for as long. Hasn’t got many bunkers but has lots of raised greens and penal collection areas. Looks great for viewing as well.

Number 5, driveable for the pros:

The short 13th, which backs on to the 17th green:

'Calamity Corner', the 16th:

Portstewart’s first 8 holes have the most stereotypical Atlantic dunes you can imagine then it turns into more standard links and hilltop holes. Will have to go back as holes 2 and 3 were closed for winter, including this belter:

Royal Portrush – Valley is decent, has a lot of flat, parallel holes so it got samey.

Castlerock has a bit of everything, a burn, a railway, a couple blind shots, some elevated tees, hilltop holes, flat areas plus some big dunes. Very good.

Its sister 9 hole is wild, 2450 yards of alleys between dunes plus some drops and climbs among them:

I do love these links trips but the enjoyment is so weather dependent, you spend a lot money so hunting for yet another ball blown away by strong winds gets tiresome but afterwards you’re obviously “wow that was actually really cool.” Have got another Scotland trip planned in May then I’ll have to go back to normal holidays I think.

I love playing links courses but only from May to September, otherwise you don't hey the true feel of it. Played Carnoustie in the winter & the tees had been moved to mats so shortened the holes & they also refigured the layout......most disappointing. 
  • Options
    Swung a club for the first time in about 15 years a few weeks ago at the driving range as my daughter's started to play. Considering I'm still recovering from a torn rotator cuff, I'm actually hitting it fairly well.

My daughter had a few lessons at school and has a fairly good technique but my teaching skills are limited, I used to play a lot but was fairly average.

I can tell her the basics (keep your head down, stance etc) but she could really do with proper lessons. Can anyone recommend anywhere that does 1 2 1 lessons for younger golfers (she's 13) and also any par 3 courses? 

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Swung a club for the first time in about 15 years a few weeks ago at the driving range as my daughter's started to play. Considering I'm still recovering from a torn rotator cuff, I'm actually hitting it fairly well.

My daughter had a few lessons at school and has a fairly good technique but my teaching skills are limited, I used to play a lot but was fairly average.

I can tell her the basics (keep your head down, stance etc) but she could really do with proper lessons. Can anyone recommend anywhere that does 1 2 1 lessons for younger golfers (she's 13) and also any par 3 courses? 

Give Pedham Place a ring, i've heard that the pro there is pretty good,also a decent 9 hole par 3 course which is never that busy👍
  • Options

Give Pedham Place a ring, i've heard that the pro there is pretty good,also a decent 9 hole par 3 course which is never that busy👍
    If it's Adam he is a good friend of my daughter & son in law, met him a few times and he is a good lad. Not sure if he teaches children but if he does you will be in good hands.  
  • Options

If it's Adam he is a good friend of my daughter & son in law, met him a few times and he is a good lad. Not sure if he teaches children but if he does you will be in good hands.  
    Thanks both