Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Played Dale Hill, Woosnam Course on Friday.  Was a little wet but it didn't rain until we putted on the 18th.

Quite liked it.  Was in good condition for a resort course.

4 ball, 2 buggeys - got round in 3 1/2 hours.

• Jealous of you guys who have managed to play some iconic courses.My only venture into Ryder cup status was the Brabazon at the Belfry about 3 years ago ,a 74th birthday present from my sons.I insisted on walking the course despite the offer of a buggy,and was doing ok,about to break 100,when my legs gave out at the 18th.I could not clear the lake,6 balls into the water,and finished on 17 for the hole.(luckily no one behind us).Still,a great experience.
  • Jealous of you guys who have managed to play some iconic courses.My only venture into Ryder cup status was the Brabazon at the Belfry about 3 years ago ,a 74th birthday present from my sons.I insisted on walking the course despite the offer of a buggy,and was doing ok,about to break 100,when my legs gave out at the 18th.I could not clear the lake,6 balls into the water,and finished on 17 for the hole.(luckily no one behind us).Still,a great experience.
    Played the Brabazon for my 40th. Was matched up with a lovely Irish guy and an American who despite windy conditions, wanted to play off the whites. I was -1 after 3 holes but went downhill thereafter
  • edited June 2021
    Just back from a wee Scottish trip whilst it's still easy to get on The Old Course. I much preferred it to last year, it's in my top 5 now. Shot 40+49 (handicap 14) which I'm happy with, especially as my 4 iron snapped in half when hitting on the 17th tee. Very disconcerting.

Also played St Andrews New again (very solid), with Musselburgh Old on the way up. Held 6 Opens in the 1800s, now £19.50 for its council run 9 holes. It's inside the race course, which is in play. Excellent stuff for the the price.

Elie, half an hour from St Andrews - wild, hilly and really special. Played from the beach on one hole. 

St Andrews - Eden. Brilliant pure links first 9, gets a bit flatter and greener on the back. 

Kilspindie, back near Edinburgh. 5200 yards and par 69 so perfect for tired legs. The sea is in play, walls are in play, lots of hills and even wild seals out on the beach. Also helps I shot my first ever even par 9, 42+34 in a steady wind. 

• Got a 4 ball booked for 1pm at West Kent on Thursday, hoping for a sub 90 round .... should do on that course but for some reason always end up 92-95 
  • down in South Devon atm and passed Bigbury Golf Club. Looked very nice
  • magic1999 said:
    Got a 4 ball booked for 1pm at West Kent on Thursday, hoping for a sub 90 round .... should do on that course but for some reason always end up 92-95 
    It's been raining non stop for the past week. Might want to take your snorkel & flippers. 
  • RedPanda said:
    Just back from a wee Scottish trip whilst it's still easy to get on The Old Course. I much preferred it to last year, it's in my top 5 now. Shot 40+49 (handicap 14) which I'm happy with, especially as my 4 iron snapped in half when hitting on the 17th tee. Very disconcerting.

Also played St Andrews New again (very solid), with Musselburgh Old on the way up. Held 6 Opens in the 1800s, now £19.50 for its council run 9 holes. It's inside the race course, which is in play. Excellent stuff for the the price.

Elie, half an hour from St Andrews - wild, hilly and really special. Played from the beach on one hole. 

St Andrews - Eden. Brilliant pure links first 9, gets a bit flatter and greener on the back. 

Kilspindie, back near Edinburgh. 5200 yards and par 69 so perfect for tired legs. The sea is in play, walls are in play, lots of hills and even wild seals out on the beach. Also helps I shot my first ever even par 9, 42+34 in a steady wind. 

Some nice little courses there. Always found some of the best courses are on the East coast of Scotland - and I dont mean the "big" ones like St. Andrew's or Carnoustie. Loads of smaller ones from Edinburgh northwards, especially around Aberdeen. 
  • RedPanda said:

Some nice little courses there. Always found some of the best courses are on the East coast of Scotland - and I dont mean the "big" ones like St. Andrew's or Carnoustie. Loads of smaller ones from Edinburgh northwards, especially around Aberdeen. 
    Yeah I'm looking at Aberdeen for September, I really like the look of the two munis in town - Balnagask which plays around a headland and lighthouse (and has an awesome name), plus Kings which has the football ground looking over it. The cheaper courses get extra brown and firm in summer as well as they have less maintenance. They seem to be having a really good summer up there compared to us suckers down south. 
  • I played Westerham last Sunday - not played it for years - course was in superb condition - greens excellent - I also played very well indeed, on what is a tough track - I recommend it
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2021
    Edit
  • At Celtic manor currently, played Roman Road yesterday and have the 2010 to play tomorrow. Very impressed with the facilities. Also saw the Celtic team this morning who stayed here ready for our friendly later. 
  • A good friend from Uni in America quit his job and become a caddy on the Korn Ferry tour. Lots of travelling and early hours for little reward but his golfer has just qualified for his PGA Tour Card. Golfers name is Andrew Novak, so will be looking out for his scores from the beginning of September.
  • Played Nazeing recently and shot an 85 which I was pleased with, one of my best ever scores! 
  • My WHS is currently 6.1.   Had a couple of good rounds recently and one shocker.   Probably need to practise lots to get any lower.  How's everybody getting on?
  • Broke my collar bone pretty badly last Sunday so no golf for me for a while. Can’t go on my golf weekend at Manor of Groves in a few weeks @delroofer 😢
  • Been playing bits here and there WHS has dropped to 16.4 so happy with that but wife has me working on the garden so less time to play
  • Off to play East Sussex National (West Course) today. Have played the same course for 14 months now so really looking forward to a change in scenery. 

Have been playing awful awful golf this year and really not enjoyed playing, Desperately need my handicap higher as have only scored above 20-something points twice since we restarted in March. Playing roughly 10-15 shots worse than I was last year. 
  • First time in over 7 years I played on a golf course yesterday. It was part of a package my Mrs bought me 3 years ago, but I had to keep postponing it for various reasons, but the Covid pandemic shut the game down anyway!
    I played Breadsall Priory on The Moorland Course (they have a Priory course as well), the day started with an hours lesson from a PGA pro using 'Trackmaster', which is phenomenal by the way. After hitting a few balls I had my swing, stance and grip analysed to within a millimetre! Trajectory, club speed, ball speed, angles of all sorts, left/right spin etc etc. The Pro then used all the info and changed my grip slightly, my stance and swing rotation!
    After a few screw ups I started hitting the ball further and straighter, (even got a 'draw' going)!
    Then after a light lunch it was onto the course with my mate who plays off 11, neither of us had played the course before so it was all new. Tried all the new things the Pro told me and got absolutely stuffed on the front 9, as I was struggling to get anything right, and lost 6 holes, halving 3. We then started with a clean sheet on the back 9, and I managed to lose the first 3 holes, but the new swing etc started to feel better. I then halved the next 2 holes and won the final 4, so winning the back 9 by 1 hole.
    It was a great day and so nice to be back on a course, but had to use a 'buggy' due to my heart situation, and I'm aching terribly this morning!!
    However at this juncture I have to thank @bobmunro for the gift of a 2nd hand set of Callaway graphite shafted clubs including a fully adjustable Callaway Driver, which the Pro set-up correctly for me.
    Bob without your generosity yesterday would have been really difficult trying to play with my nearly 30 year old Titleist blade clubs.....in fact it would have been near impossible to hit them.....thanks mate. 
    Nice story. Always difficult to go from a lesson to the course. New stuff takes a while to bed in and your brain fights against it.  I can confirm that @bobmunro is a very generous man.  👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Off to play East Sussex National (West Course) today. Have played the same course for 14 months now so really looking forward to a change in scenery. 

Have been playing awful awful golf this year and really not enjoyed playing, Desperately need my handicap higher as have only scored above 20-something points twice since we restarted in March. Playing roughly 10-15 shots worse than I was last year. 
    Errr, bit of a diary clash today Boss?  I can’t possibly imagine why East Sussex National could be a bigger draw than the mighty Addicks😉
  • Have you seen us lately @Sillybilly ?

Ruxley would be a bigger draw lol 
  • RedPanda said:
    I'm skipping today as well as I got an overnight train back from Aberdeen and am running on empty. Played 189 holes between Sunday AM and Friday PM.

Fullarton (Troon muni)
    Western Gailes
    Prestwick, blind par 3 pictured:
    Prestwick St Nicholas
    Royal Troon, Postage Stamp here:

That was going to be all but since foreign travel this winter is likely a no go...

Montrose
    Montrose Broomfield
    Cruden Bay, which is an all timer:
    Cruden Bay - St Olaf 9 hole
    Royal Aberdeen:

Murcar

Got very lucky with the weather and only had a couple of days of bad wind. Troon is very good but so far my least best/favourite of the current Open rota. The far end is cool and feels like Birkdale but nearer the clubhouse it's flat and lacks some character. Still a very worthy test. The Ayrshire coast has a ridiculous number of courses 5-10 minutes from each other so I'll have to go back.

Aberdeen is a great golf base too but has fewer courses. The dunes up there are huge and wild so I can see why Trump insisted on his course being there. I can't see it being better than Cruden Bay though, somewhere so special you don't really care what you shoot.

Got one more Scottish trip planned in November as Muirfield's winter rate is 'only' £110.9

I've played a few of the lesser courses up in Aberdeenshire.....like Stonehaven & Fraserburgh so maybe give those a tru if you're up there again.

And to @redmidland - graphite shafts are the way to go for the over 45's...🙂

Played ESN a few times. Some long par 5's and some tricky par 4's with water in front of the greens. 

Still think I'd rather be at The Valley though.  
  • So my game going from bad to worse has now moved on from worse to diabolical. Absolute disaster show this morning. 

Got a 2 day trip to Thorpeness up on the Suffolk coast on the horizon. Anyone played there ?
  • I started playing again after a 10 year break. 

I have played ten rounds 

first three over 100
    then got a 97 
    then I hit 90 at five lakes 
    followed by an 88 at Birchmore 
    Then played Westerham and got 24 points playing off 21 
    after that played 2 dog shit rounds. In one I played six holes where it was if I had never picked up a club in my life , followed by 10 points off the last five holes.

it a weird game . I’ve booked a lesson . Want to join a club but I think most have waiting lists. Any recommendations for good local clubs. I’m in Dartford 
  • holyjo said:
    I started playing again after a 10 year break. 

I have played ten rounds 

first three over 100
    then got a 97 
    then I hit 90 at five lakes 
    followed by an 88 at Birchmore 
    Then played Westerham and got 24 points playing off 21 
    after that played 2 dog shit rounds. In one I played six holes where it was if I had never picked up a club in my life , followed by 10 points off the last five holes.

it a weird game . I’ve booked a lesson . Want to join a club but I think most have waiting lists. Any recommendations for good local clubs. I’m in Dartford 
    Birchwood
  • Disappointed with my 92 I shot Thursday at West Kent left a good few shots out there should of been an low 80's round really but nice to be and playing 
  • Down to 5.6 WHS.  Very consistent currently.  Expecting it to blow up in my face shortly.