Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Registered on iGolf to attain an official handicap, registered 6 rounds so far, it has me playing off 3.6,,,, I’m really not a 3.6hcp. So won’t be entering any competitions for a bit!!!! 😂, but nevertheless it’s nice as a non member to be playing and being able to put an official score in, rather than guess what my handicap might be. 
  • Options
    Currently in Turkey on a golf trip. Played Lykia Links today, my word it’s a tough golf course, it completely beat me up. Would definitely recommend here for golf though, the set up is absolutely brilliant and the courses are lovely.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Registered on iGolf to attain an official handicap, registered 6 rounds so far, it has me playing off 3.6,,,, I’m really not a 3.6hcp. So won’t be entering any competitions for a bit!!!! 😂, but nevertheless it’s nice as a non member to be playing and being able to put an official score in, rather than guess what my handicap might be. 
    Once you have 8 registered rounds there will be no weighted average reducing your handicap so it will sort itself out.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    So my game going from bad to worse has now moved on from worse to diabolical. Absolute disaster show this morning. 

Got a 2 day trip to Thorpeness up on the Suffolk coast on the horizon. Anyone played there ?
    I've played Thorpness quite a few times. Lovely course & just my type - heathland with trees & gorse. Very picturesque with of course the house in the sky very prominent. Used to do a day ticket rate there. Can't remember the price but I think it was after 2pm. I remember our buggy breaking down on the 17th & having to push it up the hill to get it back to the clubhouse. Might not seem long but if your go off line then be prepared for lots of hacking out back onto the fairway. Had one of my best ever rounds last time I played there, which was sadly over 15 years ago

A couple of other decent courses up that way - Alderbrough being one of them.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    paulfox said:
    Once you have 8 registered rounds there will be no weighted average reducing your handicap so it will sort itself out.
    Yes, I’ve registered 4 rounds in the 80’s and two in the 70’s, so as long as I don’t have a couple of complete disasters I’m probably looking at around a 10hcp. Which is quite a bit below my society hcp, so in that respect I’m pleased I’ve done iGolf as it’s a true reflection of my game.I try and play once a week( not always) so would be quite pleased to get to a single figure hcp.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    I'm skipping today as well as I got an overnight train back from Aberdeen and am running on empty. Played 189 holes between Sunday AM and Friday PM.

Fullarton (Troon muni)
    Western Gailes
    Prestwick, blind par 3 pictured:
    Prestwick St Nicholas
    Royal Troon, Postage Stamp here:

That was going to be all but since foreign travel this winter is likely a no go...

Montrose
    Montrose Broomfield
    Cruden Bay, which is an all timer:
    Cruden Bay - St Olaf 9 hole
    Royal Aberdeen:

Murcar

Got very lucky with the weather and only had a couple of days of bad wind. Troon is very good but so far my least best/favourite of the current Open rota. The far end is cool and feels like Birkdale but nearer the clubhouse it's flat and lacks some character. Still a very worthy test. The Ayrshire coast has a ridiculous number of courses 5-10 minutes from each other so I'll have to go back.

Aberdeen is a great golf base too but has fewer courses. The dunes up there are huge and wild so I can see why Trump insisted on his course being there. I can't see it being better than Cruden Bay though, somewhere so special you don't really care what you shoot.

Got one more Scottish trip planned in November as Muirfield's winter rate is 'only' £110.

Played Muirfield when I was a kid - just remember how tough the rough was. My favourite links course was Carnoustie.

I renember playing Kilspindie which was very enjoyable. Two of my favourite courses were North Berwick and Gullane.
  • Options
    I was at a travel congress in Mexico a week ago abd played the Mayakoba course. Nice wide fairways, very fast greens and four options to tee off so even a golfer of my standard could fit in. Plus it was well out of season - I really doubt they'd have let me on the coyrse if it was busy. Beautiful course  - highly recommended.
  • Options
    I did not take up golf until I retired at 65 ,a bit late to really become any good,I did however get down to 18 handicap a few years back.Now age 77,I am struggling,my drives seem to be losing distance every time I hit the ball  although I strike it fairly cleanly.I am playing with a 10.5 loft Ping K15 which I have had for years.Now,I have not come on here to bore you shitless with my life story,but have any of you oldies out there got any suggestion as to whether an upgrade of driver(Not bank breaking money) would help and if so any recommendations.
  • Options
    I'm after a couple of tips / shared experiences - one fitness related the other technique. 

Firstly, I have suffered badly with tennis / golfers elbow over the last couple of years. Initially in my right arm which I eventually tried shockwave therapy on (after physio, acupuncture etc). This, combined with lockdown enforced rest, really helped. I've now got it again in my left arm, but not so bad, and the shockwave isn't helping so well this time. Anyone else suffered similarly and any solutions out there? I know taking a rest is probably the answer, but i really enjoy my golf and its not so bad that i can't play (in fact it's fine when I warm up) just niggles in the days after and is really persistent. 

Secondly, I have realised that the key to me for consistent ball striking is keeping my head behind the ball at impact. Problem is I do this on the range, start flushing it, then revert to leaning into it too much. And on the course I can't help chasing the shot with my eyes before I've hit it. Any tips or drills for keeping the head back?
  • Options
    I did not take up golf until I retired at 65 ,a bit late to really become any good,I did however get down to 18 handicap a few years back.Now age 77,I am struggling,my drives seem to be losing distance every time I hit the ball  although I strike it fairly cleanly.I am playing with a 10.5 loft Ping K15 which I have had for years.Now,I have not come on here to bore you shitless with my life story,but have any of you oldies out there got any suggestion as to whether an upgrade of driver(Not bank breaking money) would help and if so any recommendations.
    love this post
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Played Thorpeness over two days, got lucky with the weather and really enjoyed it. Challenging course with really tricky placed bunkers, but great greens. Could imagine a horror show if the wind kicks up. 
  • Options
    dickad1 said:
    I'm after a couple of tips / shared experiences - one fitness related the other technique. 

Firstly, I have suffered badly with tennis / golfers elbow over the last couple of years. Initially in my right arm which I eventually tried shockwave therapy on (after physio, acupuncture etc). This, combined with lockdown enforced rest, really helped. I've now got it again in my left arm, but not so bad, and the shockwave isn't helping so well this time. Anyone else suffered similarly and any solutions out there? I know taking a rest is probably the answer, but i really enjoy my golf and its not so bad that i can't play (in fact it's fine when I warm up) just niggles in the days after and is really persistent. 

Secondly, I have realised that the key to me for consistent ball striking is keeping my head behind the ball at impact. Problem is I do this on the range, start flushing it, then revert to leaning into it too much. And on the course I can't help chasing the shot with my eyes before I've hit it. Any tips or drills for keeping the head back?
    It is always the same,on the putting green,chipping net,driving range,everything goes wonderful,as soon as it matters,all discipline goes out of the window and the scores mount up.Regards resting,I dont know your age,but I suffer badly from wrist shoulder,back aches after every game,my personal opinion is to play through it if possible,as the less movement you get when you get older the stiffer you become.(this is of course if you dont have an ailment that you could aggravate with movement.
  • Options
    Played at lydd the other day ..not played there for about 10 years ,found it quite challenging but 94 wasn't bad by my standards..the course was in very poor condition 

I am playing at sedlescombe for the first time on Monday..anyone played there before? 
  • Options
    I wouldn’t expect too much from a driver ‘upgrade’. I’m 63 but play a lot with other seniors of your age who sometimes spend £400+ on a new driver thinking it will revolutionise their distance, it doesn’t. What’s more important is the shaft which your pro should advise you on, a regular or even senior shaft, probably graphite, should help you swing easier. If you do get a new club just for the hell of it get a model that’s maybe a couple of years ‘out of date’ the price plummets when it isn’t the latest model.

You’re more likely to save shots by getting the right set of clubs that give you maximum consistency off the fairways - many golfers I know have a number of hybrids that go down to 7i level and only carry irons for 100 yards in. Don’t know your game so take advice from the pro, it’s whatever can get you to the green consistently.

Some of the 70+ guys I know are also fantastic chippers and putters, years of practice.

Hope that doesn’t sound to patronising, it really is about consistency at our age as the ability to hit ‘worldy’ recovery shots does diminish as the muscles weaken. The new World Handicap System does allow for realistic handicaps as you get older so you can be competitive as long as you play within yourself. Many a good golf game has been ruined by Handicap ego.
  • Options
    Going to Tenerife in 2 weeks,got 5 rounds lined up,2 x amarilla,2 x golf del sur and a round at playa de las americas. I cannot wait!
  • Options
    dickad1 said:

I have the same problem staying behind the ball. One tip that has helped me is to tilt my head to the right and focus on a point 3 inches behind the ball. Also make sure you feel the lag in the swing
  • Options
    I wouldn’t expect too much from a driver ‘upgrade’. I’m 63 but play a lot with other seniors of your age who sometimes spend £400+ on a new driver thinking it will revolutionise their distance, it doesn’t. What’s more important is the shaft which your pro should advise you on, a regular or even senior shaft, probably graphite, should help you swing easier. If you do get a new club just for the hell of it get a model that’s maybe a couple of years ‘out of date’ the price plummets when it isn’t the latest model.

You’re more likely to save shots by getting the right set of clubs that give you maximum consistency off the fairways - many golfers I know have a number of hybrids that go down to 7i level and only carry irons for 100 yards in. Don’t know your game so take advice from the pro, it’s whatever can get you to the green consistently.

Some of the 70+ guys I know are also fantastic chippers and putters, years of practice.

Hope that doesn’t sound to patronising, it really is about consistency at our age as the ability to hit ‘worldy’ recovery shots does diminish as the muscles weaken. The new World Handicap System does allow for realistic handicaps as you get older so you can be competitive as long as you play within yourself. Many a good golf game has been ruined by Handicap ego.
    Bought a couple of hybrids recently,taking a bit of getting used to but when the odd shot connects really satisfying.Will certainly look into the senior flex situation,plenty of offers on ebay at reasonable prices so will speak to the pro at my club to see what he suggests.To be honest I dont play competitions very often only about 6 societies a year,so my handicap is only there as a guide.Cheers for comments.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    The Pro at my old club tells me that the situation with regard to sourcing custom fitted clubs at the moment is desperate. A load of the factories, mainly in the Far East are suffering from the effects of covid and we are well aware of the wider transport situation at the moment. He has loads of custom sets on order but no idea when he’ll get them in. 

There is a wider suspicion doing the rounds that some less reputable shops are allegedly “adjusting” their custom fittings to get rid of existing stock rather than to suit the Customer’s  exact needs.  Maybe BS but it wouldn’t surprise me. I suspect that may have been going on for years from some of the less reputable suppliers as your average Joe/Joanne would have no idea what he’s/she’s being sold. After all, golf clubs, regardless of cost, don’t swing themselves.  And some folk are just suckers for a bargain or a bit of mumbo jumbo advice. I’ve mTes who are on their tenth set of game changer clubs and they are still rubbish.  Just call me a cynic.   But in the unlikely event that I’ll ever buy another set of clubs, I’ll be joining the queue at a reputable Pro. 
  • Options
    Played toot hill this morning, not a bad little course, condition was very good considering it’s now a pay and play.👍
  • Options
    Currently getting the same LNER treatment as we got after Lincoln, so will upload a few photos. Heading south after trip 4/4 in Scotland this year, November is a good month for Scotland as you get winter rates and weather is generally okay. 36 hole days are a stretch though.

Played Gullane 1 on Sunday - brawny and grand course going up and over Gullane hill, with awesome views. One of my windiest rounds ever.

North Berwick might be my favourite course. Played it before and it leaves a warm glow after I've not felt many other places.

Finished at Muirfield today. It's consistent rather than spectacular, a lot friendlier and more welcoming than you hear. It's fairly scoreable too, although its rough is apparently unplayable in summer.

I have Portrush booked in March then it'll just be Turnberry I'm missing from the Open past and present. So far Carnoustie and RSG have been my favourite, although St George's comes with some bias having been to a few Opens there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2021
    North Berwick is spectacular. Easily the best round I have ever played by a distance so maybe I am biased by that but I loved it. Must be 15 years since I played there. I hope the old chap that took me as his guest is still going strong.  Muirfield was snobby and unwelcoming to the point I would not want to go back. Did par the first and second holes though.

Played at Coombe Hill last week which is a Stunningly well maintained course.  Tomorrow I am playing Gerard's Cross for the first time.
  • Options
    Moved down to Broadstairs in September and have just had my membership interview at North Foreland GC with the General Manager and club captain. Went well and have been accepted but with the waiting list it’s gonna be January at the earliest. So I guess I’ll continue driving back to Redlibbets twice a week for my golfing fix. If I pay the signing on fee now I can use the 18 hole par 3 course so that might help sharpen the old short game 😬
  • Options
    I have bitten the bullet.  Having got down to 5.4 WHS I realised it can't get lower with my swing faults.

Had two lessons in the last two weeks.

It's been frustrating.   Fundamentally my takeaway in the backswing is fine then my hands get too high, my right elbow becomes detached and I come over the top in my downswing.  Resulting in a draw / hook with my irons and a fade with woods.

Fix is club shaft higher at address, hands higher at address, ball further away.   Place ball further back in my stance for iron shots.  Smooth takeawy, turn right hip, allowing club to be laid off better, right elbow fold and turn, attack the ball from the inside on the downswing.

Imagine all of those thoughts in my head at the range!  Bought an inflatable ball to place between my arms in practise shots (to keep my arms connected) and alignment sticks for ball set up and stande and clubface position at attack and in the downswing.

My first range session went : 

60 balls £4
    First 15 balls with ball in between arms to get used to feeling.
    Next 20 balls with PW - 7 iron - decent improvement.   Higher, more penetrating strike, slight draw.  Bad one being a pull left 5-10 yards of target.
    Next 15 balls.  Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. You get it.

Guy to my right at the range looked on bewildered.

Final 10 balls with the ball back between my elbows.

Second lesson was Monday.  I'm happy the changes will work BUT it's going to be a long winter.

Golf.  Frustrating.  Hard work.  Frustrating.   
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    I have bitten the bullet.  Having got down to 5.4 WHS I realised it can't get lower with my swing faults.

It's been frustrating.   Fundamentally my takeaway in the backswing is fine then my hands get too high, my right elbow becomes detached and I come over the top in my downswing.  Resulting in a draw / hook with my irons and a fade with woods.

Fix is club shaft higher at address, hands higher at address, ball further away.   Place ball further back in my stance for iron shots.  Smooth takeawy, turn right hip, allowing club to be laid off better, right elbow fold and turn, attack the ball from the inside on the downswing.

Imagine all of those thoughts in my head at the range!  Bought an inflatable ball to place between my arms in practise shots (to keep my arms connected) and alignment sticks for ball set up and stande and clubface position at attack and in the downswing.

60 balls £4
    Next 20 balls with PW - 7 iron - decent improvement.   Higher, more penetrating strike, slight draw.  Bad one being a pull left 5-10 yards of target.

Second lesson was Monday.  I'm happy the changes will work BUT it's going to be a long winter.

It's not a major issue with a flying right elbow. The key to overcoming the issues it gives is to start your downswing by pulling it back to your body by moving your right elbow towards your right hip. This does two things - it forces the lateral shift to your left side and results in an in to out swing. Harvey Penick, one of the greatest golf coaches ever, called it the 'magic move'.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Have realised this is the key move for me – right elbow connected to right hip in downswing. Have been working on it a lot this year and I’m probably hitting the ball better, and consistently so, than I ever have right now. 

Helps me shallow my angle of attack, gets my hips turning (I’m a natural slider), I hit on a more neutral path (I was hugely in to out) and it gives me another 10 to 25 yards of carry depending on club, and with no extra effort.  Also, when I do miss it is invariably right, not left. Was previously either sliding and pushing or over rotating with the upper body and pulling – latter miss is getting designed out and gives me a bit more confidence to be aggressive. 

Had a lesson the other day and the coach compared to trackman stats from 2018. I’m about 4 to 5 degrees or so shallower. Key is working really hard to embed it which is hard, even on the range where you can get lazy. I have to really concentrate on getting everything right – posture (don’t slump, hands high), grip (not too strong), alignment, don’t drift off it in the backswing and don’t overturn, getting the transition sequence right (left hip bump and back first), keeping head behind the ball at impact. Just a handful of swing thoughts!!

That said I’ve had a couple of range sessions lately where I have nutted pretty much every shot and sensed envious glances from adjacent bays – small victories, hard earned. 

Real test is transitioning all that to the course. Playing Wrotham Heath on Friday, which I’ve never played before. I hear it's tight!

• Options
    @dickad1 I love Wrotham Heath yes some of the holes are a little tight but its usually in fantastic condition. Can get boggy after rain and they usually bring in a no buggy policy at the first sign of autumn/winter. have fun.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

60 balls £4

Watch Tin Cup. Come back one you've worn your cap backwards.
  • Options
    I know lessons are the way forward, BUT!!, when I had my 1st lesson a few years back one of the first things he said was, well your going to get worse before you get better!!!, I thought, I don’t want to get worse and your supposed to be making me bettter, so knocked it on the head!🤣🤣, I’ve managed to register 8 rounds on iGolf now and playing off 5.8, getting out once most weeks. Got a round booked at the London club Sunday so really can’t wait!!.
  • Options
    We REALLY do have to do a Charlton Life golf tournament next year!
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    We REALLY do have to do a Charlton Life golf tournament next year!
    I’d be right up for that👍