Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    RedPanda said:

Buying a new set of irons on Golfbidder this week, would like another golf lesson once covid is out of the way too.

I don't actually have a handicap, I'm basically terrible. I want a decent set but not too expensive. I've found these, what do you reckon?

https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/models/4605/Mizuno_Iron_Set_JPX_825_Pro.html?SearchClubType=3&ConditionMin=7&ConditionMax=7&YearFrom=0&YearTo=9999&PriceFrom=0&PriceTo=199&SortOrder=0

They're nice clubs, but Mizunos tend to be less forgiving. There's a handicap guide on that page, to be honest you'd be better off aiming for something with all 4 bars. If you’re on a budget, aim for a set that includes a sand wedge too. Buying a SW later will cost at least £50. With that in mind I'd look at...

https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/models/5523/Wilson_Iron_Set_Staff_D200.html

https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/models/5071/Callaway_Iron_Set_X2_Hot.html

Thanks mate.

Friend of mine had those Wilson Staffs. When I tried them I didn't get on with them at all. The club head felt really heavy.

Callaways look decent though, thanks for the heads up.

I've not bought a new set of clubs for over 15 years. Last time I bought some they at least started with a 4 iron all the way up to a Sw. Seems like some of the ones you linked to are a 6 to a PW. Someone is getting short changed me thinks.....
  • Options
    addick16 said:
    Pic of my local course ... a Par 70 , 6600 yards from the tips
    Here is a shot of the Par 3 8th Hole
    Golf Towel = my lucky charm
    What course....?
  • Options
    Shot 90 at Park Wood on Saturday morning. Considering I was a terrible 28 handicapper 2 years ago the improvement now is really coming together. 

Hoping to get all signed up at Sundridge this week so I can play more.
    @RedArmySE7. Im playing Parkwood tomorrow, i've heard the greens arent all that at the moment,were they ok? Cheers.
    The greens were a bit hit and miss. Certainly no consistency. 

Keeping the ball on the fairway or the first cut is key, the second rough is an absolute nightmare and finding balls is nigh on impossible. My playing partner lost 9 balls in the rough. Don’t get me wrong, he found a few in there too.
    Blimey, what score did your partner hit if he lost 9 balls today. Did he play proper rules(stroke & distance or a provisional off the tee) or just drop one on the fairway & played the shot from there....
    I let him just drop one on the fairway, we weren’t playing for money or anything. Think he shot 102 in the end. We were both playing off 24 and I managed to keep the same ball all the way round so I was never going to lose so it didn’t matter :-:smile:

Just been accepted for Academy Membership at Sundridge Park, to say I’m excited is an understatement. I can’t wait to get playing that course regularly. The lessons will be great too hopefully. Hope to get my handicap down to about 18 by this time next year.
    Just as long as you (or should I say him) remember that if you ever play in a society or, God forbid, in a club comp. 

I hate the "free" droppers.
  • Options
    Tried earlier to get a twilight on the international course at the London Club for Wednesday. Earliest they could offer me was 18.10! Apparently the first day for non member so understandable. The lady said it was banged out for the next few days. You can book a week in advance so will call on Wednesday for the following Wednesday. Hopefully things will have calmed by then and the novelty worn off.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Swisdom said:
    Shooters Hill is a lovely course seemingl in the middle of nowhere.  Not especially long but I have always liked it there.

I'm playing for the first time in about 9 months today at Redlibbets and looking forward to it.  Lovely day for it even if my golf will be dreadful - it's about spending some time with my old man
    How did you get on at my course today (Redlibbets)?

@Swisdom

• Options
    Shot 90 at Park Wood on Saturday morning. Considering I was a terrible 28 handicapper 2 years ago the improvement now is really coming together. 

Hoping to get all signed up at Sundridge this week so I can play more.
    @RedArmySE7. Im playing Parkwood tomorrow, i've heard the greens arent all that at the moment,were they ok? Cheers.
    The greens were a bit hit and miss. Certainly no consistency. 

Keeping the ball on the fairway or the first cut is key, the second rough is an absolute nightmare and finding balls is nigh on impossible. My playing partner lost 9 balls in the rough. Don’t get me wrong, he found a few in there too.
    Blimey, what score did your partner hit if he lost 9 balls today. Did he play proper rules(stroke & distance or a provisional off the tee) or just drop one on the fairway & played the shot from there....
    I let him just drop one on the fairway, we weren’t playing for money or anything. Think he shot 102 in the end. We were both playing off 24 and I managed to keep the same ball all the way round so I was never going to lose so it didn’t matter :-:smile:

Just been accepted for Academy Membership at Sundridge Park, to say I’m excited is an understatement. I can’t wait to get playing that course regularly. The lessons will be great too hopefully. Hope to get my handicap down to about 18 by this time next year.
    Just as long as you (or should I say him) remember that if you ever play in a society or, God forbid, in a club comp. 

I hate the "free" droppers.
    Yeah, this was a Saturday morning with a pal. No harm done.
  • Options
    played Park Wood this afternoon, certainly won’t be rushing back! 

£28 for greens that bad! And f*ck my boots the rough was indeed tough when In it!
  • Options
    addick16 said:
    Pic of my local course ... a Par 70 , 6600 yards from the tips
    Here is a shot of the Par 3 8th Hole
    Golf Towel = my lucky charm
    What course....?
    I live in the USA, just outside of Chicago.
    the course pictured is called Willow Crest. Literally right across the street from my apt.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    RedPanda said:

Buying a new set of irons on Golfbidder this week, would like another golf lesson once covid is out of the way too.

I don't actually have a handicap, I'm basically terrible. I want a decent set but not too expensive. I've found these, what do you reckon?

https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/models/4605/Mizuno_Iron_Set_JPX_825_Pro.html?SearchClubType=3&ConditionMin=7&ConditionMax=7&YearFrom=0&YearTo=9999&PriceFrom=0&PriceTo=199&SortOrder=0

They're nice clubs, but Mizunos tend to be less forgiving. There's a handicap guide on that page, to be honest you'd be better off aiming for something with all 4 bars. If you’re on a budget, aim for a set that includes a sand wedge too. Buying a SW later will cost at least £50. With that in mind I'd look at...

https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/models/5523/Wilson_Iron_Set_Staff_D200.html

https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/models/5071/Callaway_Iron_Set_X2_Hot.html

Thanks mate.

Friend of mine had those Wilson Staffs. When I tried them I didn't get on with them at all. The club head felt really heavy.

Callaways look decent though, thanks for the heads up.

I've not bought a new set of clubs for over 15 years. Last time I bought some they at least started with a 4 iron all the way up to a Sw. Seems like some of the ones you linked to are a 6 to a PW. Someone is getting short changed me thinks.....

A few mashies and a rusty niblick thrown in as well, eh Golfie? How far can you drive a feathery?

I can't remember when I last used a four iron - hybrids are a wonderful thing.
  • Options

£28 for greens that bad! And f*ck my boots the rough was indeed tough when In it!
    Really? Oh, im playing there in the morning, had heard the greens werent all that. To be honest,i couldnt get on anywhere else so that probably explains why i could there!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tried earlier to get a twilight on the international course at the London Club for Wednesday. Earliest they could offer me was 18.10! Apparently the first day for non member so understandable. The lady said it was banged out for the next few days. You can book a week in advance so will call on Wednesday for the following Wednesday. Hopefully things will have calmed by then and the novelty worn off.
    As it doesn't get dark until gone 9pm I would have thought 3hrs would have possible round there, especially as it's a buggy course. Done many a twilight round within 3 hrs.
  • Options
    Can anyone recommend any good courses around the Herne Bay area? 
  • Options
    As it doesn't get dark until gone 9pm I would have thought 3hrs would have possible round there, especially as it's a buggy course. Done many a twilight round within 3 hrs.
    Only problem is you can only go as fast as whatever is in front of you. Never ceases to amaze me how long some folk take to play a round of golf. 
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Swisdom said:
    Shooters Hill is a lovely course seemingl in the middle of nowhere.  Not especially long but I have always liked it there.

I'm playing for the first time in about 9 months today at Redlibbets and looking forward to it.  Lovely day for it even if my golf will be dreadful - it's about spending some time with my old man
    How did you get on at my course today (Redlibbets)?

@Swisdom

Having not played for 8 months it wasn’t retry but it was a lovely stroll. I am aching like crazy though. Lockdown has meant I haven’t done a lot for the last 2 months and I really notice that today!

going up there again with my old man next week and hoping for a better round
  • Options
    Can anyone recommend any good courses around the Herne Bay area? 
    Chestfield isn't too bad. A bit open at times & the 2nd hole is a bit of a killer, but probably the best 18 holer in the area if you dont want to play Cinque Ports. Further along the coast you have Walmer & Kingsdown and Canterbury is pretty decent. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Just reminded myself of the craziest twilight round I ever played. It was about seven or eight years ago on Pinta in the Algarve. We had been given a free round having had a game washed out by monsoon like rain the previous year  We decided to play on the day of arrival on the basis that if anything went wrong with flights etc we wouldn’t be too bothered as we’d effectively not paid for it. We got the 0630 flight out of Gatwick and it’s fair to say that a few of us “enjoyed breakfast” at the airport. As a result we were in mid hangover when we stepped into the first tee for our 1445 tee time. By that point the times were running about an hour late as the games were crammed on to the course. Our group of 12 in three four balls were behind a couple of groups of holidaymakers who had clearly got some sort of deal and were trying golf for what appeared to be the first time. By 1800 we got to the turn as the sun was disappearing. We played the last few holes in near darkness as a 16 ball with all our lot and two German four balls behind us having all joined up. It was quite funny in its own way but had we paid top dollar for the experience we’d have been furious. I tend to avoid twilight deals like the plague unless it’s a course that I know will be quiet at that time or sticks to reasonable tee time intervals. That’s one benefit of membership of a private club in that you can wander round for a few holes here and there at almost any hour. 
  • Options
    having a look around with no football on the horizon for the foreseeable thinking about joining a club, considering Sidcup as they do an intermediate membership £650 a year.

anyone a member or played there?
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Agreed. Just played there,greens,especially the front 9 were awful and the fairways were rock hard,not the clubs fault,but difficult to hold the ball on them.  There was literally no 1st cut,just rough so the ball rolls off the fairway and into the rough. I think i lost more balls on the front 9 today than ive lost in the last 2 years. Not happy and wont be going back anytime soon.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    having a look around with no football on the horizon for the foreseeable thinking about joining a club, considering Sidcup as they do an intermediate membership £650 a year.

Was a member there about 15 years ago for a year until I got into Dartford. My mate is chairman at the moment. Very short and quirky course. Pleasant walk. Won’t be to everyone’s taste. Nice people. Quite a big drinking set there. The bar/restaurant guy does good grub when it’s open. They are desperate for members. 
  • Options
    Just round the corner from me but never played there and never known anyone who is a member
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Back in the 70s, as a teenager, I used to play a bit of golf  and lived in Hurst Road so playing Sidcup was the easiest choice of course. If I knew then about the psychology of the mind and that it is important to think "must hit the green" rather than "must miss the water" I might not have lost so many of many dad's golf balls! 

At that time there used to be a lad with a dinghy who would go out late at night and fish them out of the lake - and sell them back to players. Not sure my dad appreciated having to buy back his own balls! 
  • Options
    round 2 has been booked for Friday at Broome Park 12:15 tee off 

Just joint Ready Golf access to 8 courses with x amount of tee slots on every day like 2x4 balls 3x2 balls courses include 

Reigate Hill
    Bletchingley
    West Kent 
    Gaton Manor 
    The Warren at littlestone
    Littlestone Championship course 

And a couple of others With more in the pipeline £750 for the year 
  • Options

Unfortunately the course suffers from Geese that live there & a couple of the fairways have more goose poo than grass. If you are looking for a friendly & local golf course I would try Bexleyheath. Like Sidcup it is a 9 hole but it is in really good condition & can join the first year for half price. Bexleyheath is rarely busy, never has temporary greens & the members are friendly with a fair number of Addicks that play there including Colin Walsh
  • Options
    Haven't swung a club in anger for a few years, what's a good place to get back into the swing of things (pun intended) in SE London/NW Kent?

Went for a dog walk around Lullingstone the other day, never played there but looked a lovely course, used to play in Beckenham Place and a couple of the Addington courses a lot when younger, as well as Magpie Hall Lane for a quick 9
  • Options
    801912601 said:

Unfortunately the course suffers from Geese that live there & a couple of the fairways have more goose poo than grass. If you are looking for a friendly & local golf course I would try Bexleyheath. Like Sidcup it is a 9 hole but it is in really good condition & can join the first year for half price. Bexleyheath is rarely busy, never has temporary greens & the members are friendly with a fair number of Addicks that play there including Colin Walsh
    Agree with this with one important caveat.  Bexleyheath is the most dangerous golf course I’ve ever set foot on in my life. Four or five holes all converge on the same little valley from different directions. At least three of them are “blind”. It only has around 100 members. I’ve come so close to being beheaded there on several occasions and been kneecapped twice. That said, it is a fun little track. 
  • Options
    Thanks golfaddick for the Herne Bay Area suggestions.Moved here a few years ago but haven’t played any golf due to back and hip problems but hopefully things easier now and plan on playing this year
  • Options

Agreed. Just played there,greens,especially the front 9 were awful and the fairways were rock hard,not the clubs fault,but difficult to hold the ball on them.  There was literally no 1st cut,just rough so the ball rolls off the fairway and into the rough. I think i lost more balls on the front 9 today than ive lost in the last 2 years. Not happy and wont be going back anytime soon.
    A shame as it was a nice track a couple of years ago. 

What they charge for a day ticket? Did you get a beer before teeing off to carry round? (They did yesterday) 
  • Options

A shame as it was a nice track a couple of years ago. 

What they charge for a day ticket? Did you get a beer before teeing off to carry round? (They did yesterday) 
    It was £30 for the round, didnt see how much a day ticket was. No beer as i teed off at 7.25 so dont think the option was there. Last time i played it was a couple of years ago and i enjoyed it so it is a shame. Whether its because of the lockdown closure that the course hasnt had the tlc it needs or if its just like that all the time i dont know but it could be lovely there. Theres alot of course competition round this area so theyve got to buck their ideas up i'd say.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    My take on some of the course mentions on here today.........

Bexleyheath. Agree about it being "dangerous". Wouldn't want to be a member there.

Lullingstone. Not bad course but the couple of holes after the 1st thst are on the slope are a bit of a nightmare. Great views & decent greens though. 

Littlestone and The Warren. Quite like playing the Warren. Used to do twilight there when I worked in Hythe in the early 2010's. Usually quiet and can whizz round in 2 hrs. Wouldnt say Littlestone is worth the extra cost but is longer.

Never played Sidcup. 

For @sam3110. Quite a few courses in the area but depends on what you are looking for. I was a member at Barnehurst for a number of years, but only because my playing partner at the time lived opposite. Only 9 holes, too short & didn't help when I got onto a "proper" course. Apart from the ones already mentioned there are:

Ruxley
    Cray Valley
    Mid-Kent (Gravesend)
    Southern Valley 
    Birchwood
    Chelsfield Lakes
    Shoreham
    High Elms
    Pedham
    Cherry Lodge