Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    BR3red said:
    There you go.

I live in Beckenham, cannot stand Langley Park, which I can walk to - as full of trees!!

LC has great facilities, half hour away, my mates all go there and courses are always top notch, condition wise.

Best club/courses in UK? - no. 

Suits me down to the ground, as local and none others that any of my mates or myself would consider. Due to the fact that there is not an abundance in SE London.

Totally agree. A dearth of decent courses in SE London/NW Kent. 

Shirley Park GC is only be a couple of miles down the road from Langley Park.
    I've played it a few times and enjoyed it.
    Course well kept and the Pro and staff very friendly and welcoming. 
  • Options
    BR3red said:
    There you go.

I live in Beckenham, cannot stand Langley Park, which I can walk to - as full of trees!!

LC has great facilities, half hour away, my mates all go there and courses are always top notch, condition wise.

Best club/courses in UK? - no. 

Suits me down to the ground, as local and none others that any of my mates or myself would consider. Due to the fact that there is not an abundance in SE London.

Totally agree. A dearth of decent courses in SE London/NW Kent. 

I was a member at West Malling for years and always enjoyed playing there - not the toughest of tests and the stretch across the road on the Hurricane was pretty boring up and down, but the pro-shop was superb as were the facilities and staff.

My current course, Wychwood Park in south Cheshire is a much stiffer test.
  • Options
    The Addington.   Still a Country member there after moving to Derbyshire.    Quality track.
  • Options
    Funny you should ask now @Taxi_Lad really. As just negotiated last week.

The joining fee is huge, but that was over 10 years ago, so the pain has diminished, although not gone!

Currently it’s circa £3200 a year for myself, I think,  but due to lockdown will get some back. 

Play every Wed and Friday with my mates 👍

So, I suppose £40 a round once you take away my no show’s. 

Just signed up for my wife, my son @Addickted2TheReds and other 14 year old Son, all golf mad, as a family membership for this year.

We do play all together up there but it is fortunes for me, for three guests, without memberships.

We have a place in Spain but obviously will see little use this year, so as a family, great all to play together this year. Wouldn’t be worth it usually, as school holidays, are generally abroad.

They gave me a deal and why wouldn’t they for 4 of us... 

Think it works out now at circa £1500 each. About £25 a round with lots of no shows, myself playing 3 times a week and family once a week - which could be a lot more in the short term.

Rack rate is over £100 a round possibly?

Crazy money for me obviously but still “saving” on expenses this year of travelling to Spain. Would have spent so much more at the LC without the membership for all of us - next year? Who knows  🤷🏻‍♂️

I am blessed with our family, last 2 years we have travelled to America for 2 weeks over Xmas with Wife’s family (Father in law lives there and was a golf pro all his life), think we played about 12 rounds all together. Loved it !

Seeing us, together, enjoying the sport, which is in the blood for all of us, is completely worth it👍 Life is too short - only too apparent lately...

(Until we all get the hump, lose lots of balls in the lakes and all walk off saying “never playing the game ever again!”.).

Hope that answered the question..,.!! .and finally, I suppose , is that, Yes, we are all still all on the “Not very good at golf thread!” unfortunately 😩

As my Son said to me this evening “One of the things I most miss In lockdown is hitting a little white thing - until you don’t hit it.... then hate the game!”

Golf......

Ps. Roll on Wednesday 👍👍

• Options

• Options
    I haven't swung a club in anger for about a year now, but i may go down to my old favourire Kings Hill for 18. And i'll definitely be hitting a provisional!
  • Options
    I had Scotland planned anyway but now I 100% must go to St Andrews this year. With  no foreign visitors it'll never be easier to get on The Old Course, as long as I can travel up there. 

A lot of clubs will go bust over the next year or two. 
  • Options
    I'm teeing off at 7.30am on Wednesday.   Have a trip to Troon organised for 28th June......
  • Options
    10:44 Wednesday..... and Thursday 😬
  • Options
    7.30am Friday
    7.30am Sunday
    Limited to 3 times / week by the club 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    oh and I forgot to mention Saturday 7:48 😬
  • Options
    See some clubs are happily booking 4balls, which really isn’t in the spirit of advice.

Personally I don’t really feel ready to have social interaction with others again yet. 
  • Options
    The problem with golf resuming is every Tom dick and Harry is going to get the clubs out the garage and mob up the courses, chelsfield lakes have already emailed me advertising pay and play tee times, aswell as parkwood ( which is a nice course ) 
  • Options
    See some clubs are happily booking 4balls, which really isn’t in the spirit of advice.

Personally I don’t really feel ready to have social interaction with others again yet. 
    As a non contact sport social distancing is not a problem. I get closer to more people whilst buying bread at a Sainsbury’s Local 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I haven't swung a club in anger for about a year now, but i may go down to my old favourire Kings Hill for 18. And i'll definitely be hitting a provisional!
    I quite like Kings Hill. Great opening hole & love the short par 4 dog leg hole (2nd shot downhill).....the 3rd ?  Only thing that lets it down are the par 3's. 
  • Options
    Well today’s the day!!
    when I get to the club today and walk onto the first tee, the first thing I’ll do is tee up my ball and step back to take in the moment, feel the relief and happiness flow through my body that I’m finally back at my happy place before I hit my shot. 
    The second thing I’m gonna do...... is play a provisional 
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Well today’s the day!!
    when I get to the club today and walk onto the first tee, the first thing I’ll do is tee up my ball and step back to take in the moment, feel the relief and happiness flow through my body that I’m finally back at my happy place before I hit my shot. 
    The second thing I’m gonna do...... is play a provisional 
    Somebody doesn’t read the full thread... :-) 
  • Options
    Oh nuts !!🤭
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I quite like Kings Hill. Great opening hole & love the short par 4 dog leg hole (2nd shot downhill).....the 3rd ?  Only thing that lets it down are the par 3's. 
    Indeed, I was a member there for some years.

The third, if you can hit far enough you should be on the green in 1 as you only need to roll over the edge and it'll funnel down to the green. From the yellows about 240 yards. Same with the 7th, you can be on the green in 1.

It's a very well built course, they never have temp greens or tee's.
  • Options
    I live like 5 mins from weald of kent, really tempting on a monday to get the clubs out. I dont work mondays so it would be quiet and normally by now i do get the clubs out anyway. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

As a non contact sport social distancing is not a problem. I get closer to more people whilst buying bread at a Sainsbury’s Local 
    My personal view, I think it’s impossible playing a round of golf with another person for 3+ hours, or being in someone’s company for that long and not breach social distancing measures at some point, without thinking. 

If people are happy enough at this point to take the additional risks, that’s of course entirely down to them. 
  • Options
    7.50am today, with Mike (77 year old).   He was a lovely guy.   We were the third group off since the club reopened - tee times 10 minutes apart.   We both played well considering first round in 8 weeks.   2hrs 45 minutes to get round 18 holes.   I managed to shoot a 74 (Par 70 but off the yellows so just 6,000 yards long).   I am going to take another 8 weeks off golf at a time!   It won't last though obviously I am expecting to break par on Friday!
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

My personal view, I think it’s impossible playing a round of golf with another person for 3+ hours, or being in someone’s company for that long and not breach social distancing measures at some point, without thinking. 

If people are happy enough at this point to take the additional risks, that’s of course entirely down to them. 

Difficult, I would agree, but not impossible if concentrating on strict social distancing discipline.
  • Options
    18 at blechingley this morning 3+ hours but enjoyable considering not played shot a disappointing 103 but know there is much better to come 
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    18 at blechingley this morning 3+ hours but enjoyable considering not played shot a disappointing 103 but know there is much better to come 
    lol if i went straight for 18, ill be pleased i get anything better than 115 :) 105 is like my peak these days, i used to be alot better when younger as mum used to work on a golf course so had lessons when i was like 8-10 not sure exact age but have videos of me looking a future star.. but i changed to snooker and then pool lol 
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    lol if i went straight for 18, ill be pleased i get anything better than 115 :) 105 is like my peak these days, i used to be alot better when younger as mum used to work on a golf course so had lessons when i was like 8-10 not sure exact age but have videos of me looking a future star.. but i changed to snooker and then pool lol 

I think I may have an idea where you've gone wrong.

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    supaclive said:
    7.50am today, with Mike (77 year old).   He was a lovely guy.   We were the third group off since the club reopened - tee times 10 minutes apart.   We both played well considering first round in 8 weeks.   2hrs 45 minutes to get round 18 holes.   I managed to shoot a 74 (Par 70 but off the yellows so just 6,000 yards long).   I am going to take another 8 weeks off golf at a time!   It won't last though obviously I am expecting to break par on Friday!

Hmmm 74 - not bad.

I played 18 this morning and shot a 68. Would have been better but I had to take a penalty when one of my chips ended up under some of my patio furniture.
    You clearly are very handy and must have a bloody big garden too. I assume that the penalty shot occurred when you over clubbed your approach to the 18th?
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    bobmunro said:
    supaclive said:

Hmmm 74 - not bad.

I played 18 this morning and shot a 68. Would have been better but I had to take a penalty when one of my chips ended up under some of my patio furniture.
    You clearly are very handy and must have a bloody big garden too. I assume that the penalty shot occurred when you over clubbed your approach to the 18th?

Not really - big but not that big. A full wedge (maybe a 9) covers it! I played 2 holes nine times each and the total length more akin to a pitch and putt course. Winter rules applied so putts within a club (driver) length conceded.
    But yes, the 18th was back towards the house!

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    supaclive said:

Hmmm 74 - not bad.

Not really - big but not that big. A full wedge (maybe a 9) covers it! I played 2 holes nine times each and the total length more akin to a pitch and putt course. Winter rules applied so putts within a club (driver) length conceded.
    But yes, the 18th was back towards the house!

I want your back garden!