Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    The range on the a20, Sidcup, was a bit of a ball ache.
    But a morning out.
    A simple 9 around ruxley/cray valley is a no no without prior booking.
  • Options
    Why a ball ache @ROTW  ?

was thinking of popping up there soon 
  • Options
    Had the two kids with me.
    I say kids, 18/13, but not allowed to use the same range cubicle, take you own clubs, no sharing.
    Very regimental considering we could have had a stroll around Cray Valley 9 hole (if I had booked online).
    To be fair, once past the club shop gestapo, all a little more acceptable.
    Have you ever tried to have a conversation with someone wearing a surgical mask?
    It is difficult to comprehend from a distance.
    The irony being, when you question what they are saying, they drop the mask and tell you.

Like everything at the moment, can see it getting a bit more relaxed.

Just been laid off, so will get up Cray Valley later in the week.
    For those of us who hack our way around a golf course :-)
  • Options
    had 3 rounds at Redlibbets since reopening on wednesday..... 91, 88, 86. Next rounds wed, thu & sat. would be nice to keep improving round on round as long as possible but we all know golf don't work like that
  • Options
    Normal service resumed today.  78.  Though after no golf for 10 weeks, 3 times since Wednesday is probably pushing it!
  • Options
    anyone here a member of Dartford GC?
    Yes mate. 
    Really toying with the idea of joining as live 2 mins away, what’s your Thoughts on it?
  • Options
    Cray valley on Saturday was packed arrived a little early for my tee time and you have to wait down the bottom until 10 mins prior before driving up, course is in bad nick people have been over there on Motorbikes doing donuts on the greens. Lots of people that play dangerously standing on the tee box for hole 2 on the 9 and a guy didn’t even shout but drove a shot which missed my head by about 10 inches from the tee box opposite don’t even know how he done it!
  • Options
    anyone here a member of Dartford GC?
    Yes mate. 
    Really toying with the idea of joining as live 2 mins away, what’s your Thoughts on it?
    Excellent private members club. Managing to stay pretty much full despite trying times and still has a modest joining fee.  Just completely revamped the clubhouse. Finished it the week before lockdown unfortunately. Very friendly. You’ll never want for a game. Much less stuffier than it used to be.  Dress codes and all that are now very relaxed.  Course is shortish and a bit up and down but it’s in good nick and is fine for day to day members golf. We don’t do tee off times so it’s rock up and play whenever you like. It’s self regulating and you’ll get to know the quiet times when you can play millionaires golf. If, like me you can walk home you can enjoy a few beers too. Strictly Members only during the current situation but when we are allowed to open up I’ll happily show you round. I’m not playing at the moment until I can get my much cancelled shoulder operation sorted but I’m still pretty handy with a pint glass 😉
  • Options
    Anyone play at Shooters Hill, or any experience of it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shot 90 at Park Wood on Saturday morning. Considering I was a terrible 28 handicapper 2 years ago the improvement now is really coming together. 

Hoping to get all signed up at Sundridge this week so I can play more.
    @RedArmySE7. Im playing Parkwood tomorrow, i've heard the greens arent all that at the moment,were they ok? Cheers.
  • Options
    I’ve played there a few times as a guest. It’s ok and not as tight as you would think. I’ve always scored well there to the point of it being one of the easiest courses I’ve played.

However, the impression I’ve always had is that the members and staff are arseholes. Never felt welcome there from the point you go into the pro shop through to constant moaning from arrogant members on the course.
  • Options
    Played it a number of times in inter-club matches. I like it. Friendly bunch. I personally like the course although it is a bit marmite. Very hilly so not for the faint hearted. I walked it with a push trolley last May on a hot day and the last five or six holes nearly killed me. 
  • Options

I think it's underrated, I prefer it to nearby Royal Blackheath. It is short but has some fast, tricky greens built into the hill. Didn't have any problems in the pro shop or with members.

• Options
    Shooters Hill is a lovely course seemingl in the middle of nowhere.  Not especially long but I have always liked it there.

I'm playing for the first time in about 9 months today at Redlibbets and looking forward to it.  Lovely day for it even if my golf will be dreadful - it's about spending some time with my old man
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    RedPanda said:

I think it's underrated, I prefer it to nearby Royal Blackheath. It is short but has some fast, tricky greens built into the hill. Didn't have any problems in the pro shop or with members.

I played Royal Blackheath last summer for the first time and was disappointed. They have spent millions removing literally thousands of trees and it feels like playing in a public park. Wide open and not very challenging if you are in any way reasonable. I understand from a mate who is a member that they are struggling for numbers
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

I played Royal Blackheath last summer for the first time and was disappointed. They have spent millions removing literally thousands of trees and it feels like playing in a public park. Wide open and not very challenging if you are in any way reasonable. I understand from a mate who is a member that they are struggling for numbers

I get the tree removal, that’s in vogue at the moment. The Addington will shortly be getting the same treatment, in a lot of cases the trees didn’t exist when the course was designed 100+ years ago.

However, Blackheath is playing up and down the same flat-ish piece of land, it’s not really strategic or dramatic, it’s expensive… I’ve not heard about financial problems but they may need to be more welcoming post-Covid.

I’m still up for playing Dartford one evening by the way, I’ll keep checking your website for when visitors are allowed again.

• Options
    RedPanda said:
    RedPanda said:

I get the tree removal, that’s in vogue at the moment. The Addington will shortly be getting the same treatment, in a lot of cases the trees didn’t exist when the course was designed 100+ years ago.

However, Blackheath is playing up and down the same flat-ish piece of land, it’s not really strategic or dramatic, it’s expensive… I’ve not heard about financial problems but they may need to be more welcoming post-Covid.

I’m still up for playing Dartford one evening by the way, I’ll keep checking your website for when visitors are allowed again.

Will be happy to take you along when I’m up and running again. I doubt that’s going to be this summer now as I’m back to square 1 with the surgery. I was ok with it over the winter but it’s a real bummer now that the weather is great and my mates are getting out to play again.  
  • Options
    Cheers for the feedback. Weighing up a local course membership now the wfh setup frees a lot of time for Summer evening hits, along with it being about the only activity left to do on a weekend that appeals! Never been a member of a course before, I usually like the variety of rotating through a few different tracks but its a rare opportunity to get out and play lots so the short journey becomes a selling point
  • Options

Buying a new set of irons on Golfbidder this week, would like another golf lesson once covid is out of the way too.

I don't actually have a handicap, I'm basically terrible. I want a decent set but not too expensive. I've found these, what do you reckon?

https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/models/4605/Mizuno_Iron_Set_JPX_825_Pro.html?SearchClubType=3&ConditionMin=7&ConditionMax=7&YearFrom=0&YearTo=9999&PriceFrom=0&PriceTo=199&SortOrder=0

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Buying a new set of irons on Golfbidder this week, would like another golf lesson once covid is out of the way too.

I don't actually have a handicap, I'm basically terrible. I want a decent set but not too expensive. I've found these, what do you reckon?

https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/models/4605/Mizuno_Iron_Set_JPX_825_Pro.html?SearchClubType=3&ConditionMin=7&ConditionMax=7&YearFrom=0&YearTo=9999&PriceFrom=0&PriceTo=199&SortOrder=0

They're nice clubs, but Mizunos tend to be less forgiving. There's a handicap guide on that page, to be honest you'd be better off aiming for something with all 4 bars. If you’re on a budget, aim for a set that includes a sand wedge too. Buying a SW later will cost at least £50. With that in mind I'd look at...

https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/models/5523/Wilson_Iron_Set_Staff_D200.html

https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/models/5071/Callaway_Iron_Set_X2_Hot.html

• Options
    RedPanda said:

They're nice clubs, but Mizunos tend to be less forgiving. There's a handicap guide on that page, to be honest you'd be better off aiming for something with all 4 bars. If you’re on a budget, aim for a set that includes a sand wedge too. Buying a SW later will cost at least £50. With that in mind I'd look at...

https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/models/5523/Wilson_Iron_Set_Staff_D200.html

https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/models/5071/Callaway_Iron_Set_X2_Hot.html

Thanks mate.

Friend of mine had those Wilson Staffs. When I tried them I didn't get on with them at all. The club head felt really heavy.

Callaways look decent though, thanks for the heads up.

• Options
    Shot 90 at Park Wood on Saturday morning. Considering I was a terrible 28 handicapper 2 years ago the improvement now is really coming together. 

@RedArmySE7. Im playing Parkwood tomorrow, i've heard the greens arent all that at the moment,were they ok? Cheers.
    The greens were a bit hit and miss. Certainly no consistency. 

Keeping the ball on the fairway or the first cut is key, the second rough is an absolute nightmare and finding balls is nigh on impossible. My playing partner lost 9 balls in the rough. Don’t get me wrong, he found a few in there too.
  • Options

Keeping the ball on the fairway or the first cut is key, the second rough is an absolute nightmare and finding balls is nigh on impossible. My playing partner lost 9 balls in the rough. Don’t get me wrong, he found a few in there too.
    Many thanks, good to know. Could be a bit of a wild one for me, i play off 14 but havent picked a club up since the end of December so think i'm in for an interesting round!
  • Options
    edited May 2020

I bet he did. I have played a few rounds where a lost ball mysteriously reappears.
    Usually mine :-)
  • Options

Blimey, what score did your partner hit if he lost 9 balls today. Did he play proper rules(stroke & distance or a provisional off the tee) or just drop one on the fairway & played the shot from there....
  • Options

• Options
    Pic of my local course ... a Par 70 , 6600 yards from the tips
    Here is a shot of the Par 3 8th Hole
    Golf Towel = my lucky charm
  • Options

Blimey, what score did your partner hit if he lost 9 balls today. Did he play proper rules(stroke & distance or a provisional off the tee) or just drop one on the fairway & played the shot from there....
    I let him just drop one on the fairway, we weren’t playing for money or anything. Think he shot 102 in the end. We were both playing off 24 and I managed to keep the same ball all the way round so I was never going to lose so it didn’t matter :-:smile:

Just been accepted for Academy Membership at Sundridge Park, to say I’m excited is an understatement. I can’t wait to get playing that course regularly. The lessons will be great too hopefully. Hope to get my handicap down to about 18 by this time next year.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    RedPanda said:

It is fairly open but the idea was that there would be a lot of fescue to tighten it up. A couple of years ago it worked really well and from down by the railway line looking up, it all looked quite impressive as it shaped the fairways really well and with the bunkers all done. Last year it just didn't really grow as well and I guess at the moment they probably don't really want you staying out on the course hunting about for lost balls