Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Norwich - friendly 28/7/18

191011121315»

Comments

• uie2 said:

LenGlover said:

Not had time to plough through the thread so apologies if covered /asked already.

Was it a 'proper' Norwich side or a youth team?

Proper apparently.
    But missing the injured Jordan Rhodes apparently
    And we were missing the injured Lyle Taylor...
    I questioned this Saturday and not taking anything away from us I thought they are fcked as a Champ side.

I reckon they will go down if that's there full side
  • *their*
  • Swisdom said:

Squad is very light but the kids are going to be as good or better than any other u23’s at other clubs disposal.

This is our year I’m convinced .....

For the poxy checkatrade trophy
  • Nothing to do with the actual game,but I have a rather pathetic obsession with police numbers at football matches.On saturday, from the away end to the station I counted at least 20 officers inc.4 mounted,all doing nothing.There was a presence in the observation room during the game.the crowd was just over 2000,with no chance at all of any problems.So,when we hear daily of police not having time to investigate proper crimes,how do they all suddenly become available,for a few hours easy work,at the clubs expense.Every game last year there was a minimum of 30-40 officers at our games.
  • Nothing to do with the actual game,but I have a rather pathetic obsession with police numbers at football matches.On saturday, from the away end to the station I counted at least 20 officers inc.4 mounted,all doing nothing.There was a presence in the observation room during the game.the crowd was just over 2000,with no chance at all of any problems.So,when we hear daily of police not having time to investigate proper crimes,how do they all suddenly become available,for a few hours easy work,at the clubs expense.Every game last year there was a minimum of 30-40 officers at our games.

It would all kick off if they weren't there.
  • In certain cases yes,it might kick off,but Charlton v Norwich,in a friendly,away attendance last year from some clubs,were 200-300 do we need 30 officers for this
  • In certain cases yes,it might kick off,but Charlton v Norwich,in a friendly,away attendance last year from some clubs,were 200-300 do we need 30 officers for this

I was being ironic - police presence does seem overkill.
  • uie2 said:

LenGlover said:

Not had time to plough through the thread so apologies if covered /asked already.

Was it a 'proper' Norwich side or a youth team?

Proper apparently.
    But missing the injured Jordan Rhodes apparently
    And we were missing the injured Lyle Taylor...
    I questioned this Saturday and not taking anything away from us I thought they are fcked as a Champ side.

I reckon they will go down if that's there full side
    Who thought the same when we beat Ipswich 6-1 last pre-season?

Read CL lately?

It's to keep the Charlton fans from lamping each other...

Read CL lately?

Yeh and I know where to find you. :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

Keohane takes no chances, he will cut no corners in order to protect himself and his stash of cheese sandwiches, it is worth it to him to have a few bodies spare in case fans need taking in hand.
    Allegedly.

Read CL lately?

Is that why there were so many police in Makro’s car park?
  • edited July 2018
    Football clubs currently have no legal obligation to cover costs for policing outside the ground or to manage transport.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/metropolitan-police-taxpayer-london-football-matches-cost-a7871681.html

Interesting post. I look forward to those that know more to chip in.

• edited July 2018
    So, Monday night and I'm still not sure if we really beat Norwich. It's not on the fixtures page of the OS!

Nor for that matter is the confirmation of the takeover which was going to be announced after the Norwich game.

Come on Charlton, surely you can update the website without having to turn the lights on!
  • edited July 2018

Football clubs currently have no legal obligation to cover costs for policing outside the ground or to manage transport.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/metropolitan-police-taxpayer-london-football-matches-cost-a7871681.html

There is an exception for pre-season friendlies, from which the Met are able to recover their full costs. That’s why Charlton are very careful who they play at home in pre-season. However that doesn’t mean, for example, the club would pay for mounted police on Saturday as minor matches are often used to exercise and/or train the horses.
  • Apologies if it’s been mentioned, discussed and done to death already and I’ve completely missed it but the penny has just dropped with me that we had 6 players (Phillips, Aribo, Solly, Lapslie, Grant and Hackett-Fairchild) that came through the youth team on Saturday and for once I’d be happy to see any or all of them on the team sheet at Sunderland rather than thinking they were not quite ready. One of our own ?, the song could end up on a loop throughout a game this season...
  • Apologies if it’s been mentioned, discussed and done to death already and I’ve completely missed it but the penny has just dropped with me that we had 6 players (Phillips, Aribo, Solly, Lapslie, Grant and Hackett-Fairchild) that came through the youth team on Saturday and for once I’d be happy to see any or all of them on the team sheet at Sunderland rather than thinking they were not quite ready. One of our own ?, the song could end up on a loop throughout a game this season...

And the team manager came through the youth set up as well...Charlton Athletic, living the dream and nobody realised it

And the team manager came through the youth set up as well...Charlton Athletic, living the dream and piddling around in League One nobody realised it
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2018
    Scoham said:

Always find it odd that Aribo is seen as an academy graduate but whenever Lookman is mentioned someone says he doesn’t count.

Joe Aribo isnt an Academy Graduate!!... Bloke played 22-games for Staines Town before joining us

Signed for us and went straight into our U23 / Reserve squad - Academy Graduates surely have to play for the U18s at least
  • Scoham said:

Always find it odd that Aribo is seen as an academy graduate but whenever Lookman is mentioned someone says he doesn’t count.

Joe Aribo isnt an Academy Graduate!!... Bloke played 22-games for Staines Town before joining us

Signed for us and went straight into our U23 / Reserve squad - Academy Graduates surely have to play for the U18s at least
    Exactly my point. You could argue the u21s/u23s are part of the academy, but Aribo signed up on a pro contract.

Lookman on the other hand signed up as part of the academy when he was 16.
  • Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Exactly my point. You could argue the u21s/u23s are part of the academy, but Aribo signed up on a pro contract.

I know which of the two I'd rather have here still too...
  • Dazzler21 said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

I know which of the two I'd rather have here still too...
    Well as one is still here, let me have a wild guess...