Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Norwich - friendly 28/7/18

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2018
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Think Dillon must have a case of Pope-itis.

Charltonised.
    We need a new keeper.....
    If you believe rumours, young lad from Newcastle joining on loan

Freddy Woodman won the best goalkeeper award as @England under-21s won the Toulon Tournament this summer.

I believe he started at Palace
    Freddy Woodman is Gareth Southgate's Godson and son of Andy Woodman who was CAFC Goal keeping coach when Darren Randolph and that well known charlton fan, Rob Elliott were our keepers.

As a youngster Freddy, was playing for Palace and when Andy got the Newcastle job the whole family relocated to the north east and Freddie Woodman has been at Newcastle ever since. Was on loan at killmarnock and Aberdeen last season.

At 21 and having been England's keeper from U16-U21 with 56 apps wouldn't be coming to be a number 2 in League 1.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

JamesSeed said:

Just heard some guy near me, look at the south stand and say who is Jimmy Seed.

Grrrr why do non Charlton fans turn up to games they clearly dont care about

My god, we've got a new fan!
    Yeah, you.
    Reductionist.
  • Options

Richard J said:

Any comments after that save @FAVADDICK

Think Dillon is an effective shot stopper. The problem is distribution. The dilemma is do we sign someone like Woodman as a number one or a lesser keeper.

My concern is about the experience of Dillon and AMB.
    Woodman played 5 times for Abderdeen last season and 14 for Kilmarnock the season before, not got anymore expiernce than Phillips
    I would be happy with Phillips / Woodman. It is AMB as number two that is a concern. He needs a loan to play first team football.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

cafc4life said:

Phillips not good enough to be number one .

What's that based on?
    Today's game and every other time I've seen him?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Redskin said:

JamesSeed said:

Yeah, you.
    Reductionist.
    Arriviste.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Redskin said:

JamesSeed said:

Redskin said:

JamesSeed said:

Yeah, you.
    Reductionist.
    Arriviste.
    Was he their number 36 that wasn’t on the list ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redskin said:

JamesSeed said:

Redskin said:

JamesSeed said:

Yeah, you.
    Reductionist.
    Arriviste.
    Faciste
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

JaShea99 said:

cafc4life said:

What's that based on?
    Phillips is rubbish - most of the experts in our support have sussed this out. Not good enough for L1....

Nothing changes.....
  • Options

ross1 said:

Think Dillon must have a case of Pope-itis.

Charltonised.
    We need a new keeper.....
    If you believe rumours, young lad from Newcastle joining on loan

Freddy Woodman won the best goalkeeper award as @England under-21s won the Toulon Tournament this summer.

I believe he started at Palace
    Freddy Woodman is Gareth Southgate's Godson and son of Andy Woodman who was CAFC Goal keeping coach when Darren Randolph and that well known charlton fan, Rob Elliott were our keepers.

As a youngster Freddy, was playing for Palace and when Andy got the Newcastle job the whole family relocated to the north east and Freddie Woodman has been at Newcastle ever since. Was on loan at killmarnock and Aberdeen last season.

At 21 and having been England's keeper from U16-U21 with 56 apps wouldn't be coming to be a number 2 in League 1.
    Exactly. I think really, really highly of Woodman, and in some ways I'd love to have him here because, as with DaSilva, I think he's someone who can really grow and who we could potentially get on loan again next season if we go up (big, big if mind).

But we have a young, inexperienced keeper already. It's not like bringing in Declan Rudd or Ben Amos, very experienced goalkeepers for this level where you know what you're going to get.

And it's a move that would kick Phillips to the curb. At this stage, any keeper we bring in there is a risk of usurping Phillips, and thus us losing Phillips, but that risk doesn't seem worth it to be for an untested at club level, albeit it very promising, 21-year-old from another club. The only way that makes sense to me is that if the coaching staff feel that Dillon just isn't good enough.
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

JaShea99 said:

cafc4life said:

What's that based on?
    As I said to FAV
    What dis he do wrong today
    Poor kicking but did that hold Kiely back.

And 3 quality saves in the last 10 minutes.

I just dont understand how people can say he is not good enough without giving him a chance.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Redskin said:

JamesSeed said:

Redskin said:

JamesSeed said:

Yeah, you.
    Reductionist.
    Arriviste.
    Faciste
    Spelling.
  • Options

Shame Lapslie hasnt come out, he really impressed

Perhaps he wants to keep it private?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

cafc4life said:

JaShea99 said:

cafc4life said:

What's that based on?
    As I said to FAV

I just dont understand how people can say he is not good enough without giving him a chance.
    Every time a ball was played back to him he panicked , shanked balls out of play, made passes behind players. In a higher intensity league game he will gift other teams goals due to lack of ability of being able to kick straight and make the right decisions. Not denying he made some good saves but you need a keeper that is solid in all areas. He's not and could become a liability in his kicking
  • Options
    All the saves Phillips made you would expect a good keeper to make, none were world class but he did his job. Every kick went out for a throw or to a Norwich player. He rolled the ball out twice to Pearce and Page who were both closely marked because he didn’t have the confidence to kick it. His kicking and his confidence levels with the ball at his feet suggests we need to look at alternatives
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JaShea99 said:

cafc4life said:

What's that based on?
    His kicking, in particular, was awful. Although he did pull off a worldly late on
  • Options
    Redskin said:

JamesSeed said:

Redskin said:

JamesSeed said:

Redskin said:

JamesSeed said:

Yeah, you.
    Reductionist.
    Arriviste.
    Faciste
    Spelling.
    You don't say.
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

cafc4life said:

JaShea99 said:

cafc4life said:

What's that based on?
    As I said to FAV

Every time a ball was played back to him he panicked , shanked balls out of play, made passes behind players. In a higher intensity league game he will gift other teams goals due to lack of ability of being able to kick straight and make the right decisions. Not denying he made some good saves but you need a keeper that is solid in all areas. He's not and could become a liability in his kicking
    That sounds like a pretty accurate description of Dean Kiely, at his best. So if he's anywhere near as good as that, he'll be a great player for Charlton.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I seem to recall Amos getting a fair amount of stick about his distribution last season. Must be par for the course being the Charlton keeper no matter how good you are between the sticks.

So if you're not a ball playing, Pirlo defence splitting passer of a ball DO NOT accept the job if Bowyer comes calling set your sights on non league as we are hard to please. :smirk:
  • Options
    I believe I can fly...
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

I believe I can fly...

Stay grounded.