Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Norwich - friendly 28/7/18

Comments

• Options
    Guy a few rows back from me , had quite a loud AUSSIE accent, just saying...
  • Options
    Re Phillips.

I think we have to trust Bowyer and Marshall to make the right decision. None of us know for sure how Phillips will perform if given the jersey but Bowyer and Marshall will have a better idea than any of us.
  • Options
    I take it if Woodman comes in, it will be a year loan?
  • Options
    Another one to leave but not the one everyone is expecting ?

Not sure what to make of that. Fee agreed for Josh so I’m assuming he’s the one we are all expecting ?
  • Options

ross1 said:

Think Dillon must have a case of Pope-itis.

Charltonised.
    We need a new keeper.....
    If you believe rumours, young lad from Newcastle joining on loan

Freddy Woodman won the best goalkeeper award as @England under-21s won the Toulon Tournament this summer.

I believe he started at Palace
    Freddy Woodman is Gareth Southgate's Godson and son of Andy Woodman who was CAFC Goal keeping coach when Darren Randolph and that well known charlton fan, Rob Elliott were our keepers.

As a youngster Freddy, was playing for Palace and when Andy got the Newcastle job the whole family relocated to the north east and Freddie Woodman has been at Newcastle ever since. Was on loan at killmarnock and Aberdeen last season.

At 21 and having been England's keeper from U16-U21 with 56 apps wouldn't be coming to be a number 2 in League 1.
    If you believe the rumours, our squad could be getting quite a boost of Geordies - assuming the new director passes the FA test ASAP.
  • Options
    Guessing Sarr, Aribo or Grant.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
  • Options
    very encouraging pre-season .. and I reckon that next weekend we'll leave Wearside with at least one point
  • Options
    Matt was a legend,very sad to see the recent documentary with Alan Shearer,where Matt is suffering from dementia.Hope he can recall the affection everyone who saw him play has for him.
  • Options
    How did Reeco do today ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A player to leave that 'not everyone is expecting' would be Ajose imo, and ties in with the rumours from the week about Coventry sniffing around.
  • Options
    Some good performances with Phillips the hero and villain. Surprised Andy Marshall didn't have a heart attack with the kicking. He spent the whole of the warm up working with him. Have to wonder who has told Pearce to go to the corner flag to collect from goal kicks. Asking to be caught out.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

I seem to recall Amos getting a fair amount of stick about his distribution last season. Must be par for the course being the Charlton keeper no matter how good you are between the sticks.

So if you're not a ball playing, Pirlo defence splitting passer of a ball DO NOT accept the job if Bowyer comes calling set your sights on non league as we are hard to please. :smirk:

Hugo Lloris is the sort of keeper Dillon needs to emulate by dribbling round forwards !
  • Options
    More Palace fans at Reading than Charlton at home :(

Sounds like a decent performance
  • Options

How did Reeco do today ?

Very well imo.
    Re. The keeper, 3 very good saves and some awful distribution BUT he's the best we got so i'm sure he'd appreciate 100% support.
    A good game and pleasant afternoon.

Highlight of the afternoon were the young ladies giving the finger to the Norwich fans. My only request is can you use both hands V Shrewsbury.
  • Options

A player to leave that 'not everyone is expecting' would be Ajose imo, and ties in with the rumours from the week about Coventry sniffing around.

Dillon Phillips. Because there's a new number 1 keeper coming in?

And yes, I'm only guessing.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    On the club site, pre-match puff said Taylor has a calf strain, yet the match report says he has a groin injury. No wonder Bowyer said he didn't know if Taylor would be fit for Sunderland.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Guessing Sarr, Aribo or Grant.

Or Bauer?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Bowyer, on Dillon Phillips who made three crucial late saves to keep a clean sheet…

"He’s young and he hasn’t got much experience Dill. He made great saves. I think he brought pressure on himself really but he will have learnt from that, so the most important thing for me was the saves not how good he was with his feet. He’s there to make saves not to be a centre half or a midfielder. That’s not his job. His job is to keep the ball out of the net and he did that today."

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5b5ca8961f10a/bowyer-on-unbeaten-pre-season-dillon-phillips-heroics-lyle-taylor-injury-and-more

What does Bowyer know about goalkeeping, he was only a midfielder. :smile:
  • Options

Guy a few rows back from me , had quite a loud AUSSIE accent, just saying...

Was he with a group of four or five young lads, early 20s? @Mendonca In Asdas
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Are there gonna be player ratings?

Interested in Favaddick's mark for Phillips.
  • Options

More Palace fans at Reading than Charlton at home :(

Sounds like a decent performance

Local derby.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Are there gonna be player ratings?

Interested in Favaddick's mark for Phillips.

Probably a 3.

A mark for each of Dillon's good saves. :smile:

• Options
    Chef addick il give him a 5 saves were good rest of his game a 1
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Bowyer "Anybody that has watched them lads last season in the U23s and then seen what they’ve been doing under us, they’ll be able to tell that there is a big difference.” 

Jason Euell not joining the 1st team coaching squad then.

Time for a director of Football?
  • Options

Phillips will only get better the more he plays. He has potential and ffs we're in L1 not the Premiership - makes me laugh how much criticism some of our fans are dishing out. If Phillips was the finished article he wouldn't be at Charlton.

The most important bit is the saves, the passing out bit will come with experience and confidence. Until then he should clear it a very long way away.