Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tour de France (2023 from p54)

Comments

• Options
    Presumably an attempt by the organisers to do everything they can to disrupt Team Sky?!
  • Options

Thanks everyone for keeping plebs like me informed on this.

Ah hem.....whats the green jersey for?

Points jersey, for sprinters, though Sagan is a bit atypical (he's closer to a Sean Kelly type in some ways, he can be more than decent in most elements of the race - as an aside, I'd love to see a combined jersey again).
    Isnt really a jersey for the Sprinters though as some Intermediate Sprints are after a climb that the likes of Cavendish wouldnt get over

In a way it is almost like a combined jersey
    I know they've tried to change things around (quite a bit) this year regarding the sprints, but, take Sagan out of the equation and the Green Jersey would look much less like a combined award. That said, I think Sagan is fantastic.
  • Options

Points jersey, for sprinters, though Sagan is a bit atypical (he's closer to a Sean Kelly type in some ways, he can be more than decent in most elements of the race - as an aside, I'd love to see a combined jersey again).
    Isnt really a jersey for the Sprinters though as some Intermediate Sprints are after a climb that the likes of Cavendish wouldnt get over

In a way it is almost like a combined jersey
    I know they've tried to change things around (quite a bit) this year regarding the sprints, but, take Sagan out of the equation and the Green Jersey would look much less like a combined award. That said, I think Sagan is fantastic.
    Doesnt help that Michael Matthews wasnt able to do the Tour this year as he's probably the closest person who can rival Sagan
  • Options
    What time does it start today?
  • Options

What time does it start today?

2pm is when ITV4 coverage starts
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options

iainment said:

Isn't yellow the combined jersey effectively.
    No, the yellow jersey (general classification) is simply based on total time.
    The green Jersey is points based, which can be obtained each day. Their overall time is irrelevant.
    I understand that.
  • Options
    Stolen from FB... love that Neymar is tagged in lol

• Options
    Well that was an anti climax
  • Options
    Thats the Tour for Geraint

Great attack at the end again!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done G, just superb
  • Options
    Think Froome will go all out attack tomorrow now, he wont catch Thomas after this but still be good to see him getting second
  • Options
    Great ride by G. Pool old Froome looked like he needed some Ventolin up that last climb!
  • Options

Think Froome will go all out attack tomorrow now, he wont catch Thomas after this but still be good to see him getting second

Froome will go for it on Friday
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Froome will go for it on Friday
    Yeah sorry meant Friday as thought thats when the last mountain stage was rather than there being a flat stage tomorrow
  • Options
    Saw online that spectators grabbed hold of Thomas as he was going for line . and also that Froome was knocked off his bike by a police car after the race.
  • Options
    Absolute kudos to Gilbert.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

can't believe he's withdrawing, that's the sort of injury that G used to ride whole tours with
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

At long last I can say that I have the legs of a top TdF bike racer.
  • Options

Froome will almost certainly attack, he'll have to hope that Thomas cracks like he did in the Tour of Romandie, but i can't see it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Froome will almost certainly attack, he'll have to hope that Thomas cracks like he did in the Tour of Romandie, but i can't see it
    Nah I think he'll attack purely in the hope of getting back second... the way Thomas survived that stage yesterday there is no way I see him cracking tomorrow, not to mention I see both Dumoulin and Froome needing to be within about 10 / 20secs to stand a chance of surpassing Thomas in the time trial

In a way its a shame that

(1) the Time Trial isnt today
    (2) the top arent all within a few seconds of each other

Would make a fascinating stage as all can climb and all can time trial, means we could get a shake up of the lead yet go back into the Mountains and potentially see another shake up
  • Options
    rina said:

JamesSeed said:

Tomorrow looks an interesting stage

Only 65km long the riders will be going off on a grid style start, positions will be based on their GC Standings and there will be no neutralised zone - Means that Froome and Thomas will be on their own for a while as they wont be surrounded by their Domestiques

For about five minutes. The pundits were saying it'll just settle into the normal pattern right after the start.
    while they may be right that's pure guesswork

none of the field have ever raced a tour stage like this, it hasn't been done in modern cycling and with the grid start we could see a lot of things happen

it won't be a surprise to see dumoulin, bardet, martin or quintana having a stab right from the off, in which case G and Froome won't be able to sit and wait for the rest of Sky

hopefully that does happen and we see the entire GC group having a right old ding dong up the 3 summits
    Unfortunately not.
  • Options
    Worth a listen to the podcast on Radio 5 with Chris Froome 'The Secret World of Climbing' - available on IPlayer - gives you a real insight into tactics and how hard the Tour is.
    I thought Froome came across really well.
  • Options
    Froome was hauled off his bike by a Policeman after yesterday's stage... Apparently "thought" he was a spectator getting in the way

Is it me or is there a hint of a Steve McClaren style accent when he says "f**k you"?
  • Options

Froome was hauled off his bike by a Policeman after yesterday's stage... Apparently "thought" he was a spectator getting in the way

Is it me or is there a hint of a Steve McClaren style accent when he says "f**k you"?

He was just doing the job the spectators were supposed to do.
  • Options
    i see Thomas retained his yellow after stage 18
  • Options

Was he... You an expert rthen
  • Options

Was he... You an expert rthen
    Yes - what about you Chippy?
  • Options

Gonna shamelessly nick a comment that @Mametz made the otherr day. One school in Wales had Gareth Bale, Sam Warbuton and Geraint Thomas in different years but all at school at the same time.

All exceptional sportsmen and none of them come across badly.

Geraint Thomas looks, barring injury, to be a serious contender for years. I have a hat set aside to eat if it turns out he isn’t as clean as can be.

Chapeau.

He’s an absolutely top bloke as well. I backed Froome before the Tour but willl be delighted if he wins!