Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• Valley11 said:
    He couldn’t get a game at Forest and now at Millwall of the north knocking in the odd goal mainly pens. 
    Twat 
    4 goals in 9 games in a struggling Birmingham side, including 1 penalty.
    He refused to play in 9 games for us. 4 goals would have kept us up with games to spare.

still unforgivable and always will be
    What was unforgiveable was the fact that he wasn't offered by us the contract that his talent and performances for us deserved. If he had have, instead of being pissed about he would have signed and no doubt, played in those games.
    I know some people will say that he was under contract until 30 June 2020 and should have at least played until that date. Because of the bizarre circumstances surrounding that season I don't agree with that. Even if he had agreed to play until 30 June nobody knows how much his heart would have been in his performances or how good or bad he would have played. As it was, we won two and drew one of the three games that we played by that date.
    It seems to me that the way he left just gives some people that extra and easy excuse to attack a former player. Not that most other players, who left under normal circumstances to try to better themselves, avoid the accusations of being rubbish or money-grabbing, or both.
    Garbage. Yes he should have been offered a new deal. But to refuse to play when we desperately needed arguably our best player and talisman is unforgivable. He was contracted and fit. Refusing to play was inexcusable and to bang on about needing to feel loved now, a veiled dig at cafc fans, shows what kind of person he is. Hopefully he retires soon so we can stop talking about him. 
    Couldn't agree less.
    Him talking about needing to feel loved now has nothing to do with cafc fans and all to do with his situation at Forest. Too many seem to think that the world revolves around SE7, it doesn't.
    He was contracted until 30 June, so could have affected one result. If he had got injured, possibly badly and was then out of contract, do you think that the clowns that were running the club at that time would have looked after him?
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Valley11 said:
    He couldn’t get a game at Forest and now at Millwall of the north knocking in the odd goal mainly pens. 
    Twat 
    He refused to play in 9 games for us. 4 goals would have kept us up with games to spare.

What was unforgiveable was the fact that he wasn't offered by us the contract that his talent and performances for us deserved. If he had have, instead of being pissed about he would have signed and no doubt, played in those games.
    I know some people will say that he was under contract until 30 June 2020 and should have at least played until that date. Because of the bizarre circumstances surrounding that season I don't agree with that. Even if he had agreed to play until 30 June nobody knows how much his heart would have been in his performances or how good or bad he would have played. As it was, we won two and drew one of the three games that we played by that date.
    It seems to me that the way he left just gives some people that extra and easy excuse to attack a former player. Not that most other players, who left under normal circumstances to try to better themselves, avoid the accusations of being rubbish or money-grabbing, or both.
    Garbage. Yes he should have been offered a new deal. But to refuse to play when we desperately needed arguably our best player and talisman is unforgivable. He was contracted and fit. Refusing to play was inexcusable and to bang on about needing to feel loved now, a veiled dig at cafc fans, shows what kind of person he is. Hopefully he retires soon so we can stop talking about him. 
    Couldn't agree less.
    Him talking about needing to feel loved now has nothing to do with cafc fans and all to do with his situation at Forest. Too many seem to think that the world revolves around SE7, it doesn't.
    He was contracted until 30 June, so could have affected one result. If he had got injured, possibly badly and was then out of contract, do you think that the clowns that were running the club at that time would have looked after him?

I don't really get why there was so much talk about him getting a career-ending injury if he played in that one game. As if it was inevitable. Presumably he wasn't refusing to walk up stairs or cross the road. 

Plenty of players don't refuse to play games when coming to the end of their contracts. He wasn't exactly the first player ever to run down a contract - what about every other player who has and continued to play anyway - were they being utter maniacs for 'risking' their future in the game? 
    100% this. 
  • edited April 2022
    Valley11 said:
    Twat 

Couldn't agree less.
    We’ll agree to disagree then. 

It’s not just the potential influence Taylor could’ve had on the pitch by playing in that Championship run-in, it’s the signal his downing tools sent out to the rest of the squad. The bloke gave up on his mates. 

I don’t think the world revolves around Charlton. But they are the club I support so I’m bound to have an opinion. And no manner of revisionism can change the fact that Taylor did the dirty on us.  Would other talismanic  players from our past have done the same? Mark Kinsella not playing in the Play Off Final, perhaps, for fear of injury. As has been suggested, a Premier League club was in for him had we not beaten Sunderland. He ‘risked’ playing to get us promoted. 

As I said, I hope Taylor packs in soon so his self promotion and narcissism doesn’t have a platform. 

• Valley11 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Twat 

Couldn't agree less.

It’s not just the potential influence Taylor could’ve had on the pitch by playing in that Championship run-in, it’s the signal his downing tools sent out to the rest of the squad. The bloke gave up on his mates. 

I don’t think the world revolves around Charlton. But they are the club I support so I’m bound to have an opinion. And no manner of revisionism can change the fact that Taylor did the dirty on us.  Would other talismanic  players from our past have done the same? Mark Kinsella not playing in the Play Off Final, perhaps, for fear of injury. As has been suggested, a Premier League club was in for him had we not beaten Sunderland. He ‘risked’ playing to get us promoted. 

As I said, I hope Taylor packs in soon so his self promotion and narcissism doesn’t have a platform. 

Fair enough.
    I was also gutted that he chose not to play on, but it was no ordinary season so cannot be compared to any other situation.
    I just don't understand the hatred and bile directed towards any player that chooses to walk away from Charlton, Taylor and Parker included.
    We, as supporters, might not like it but footballers are doing a job for money, not for the love of a club.
    The remaining squad of the 2019/20 season had more than enough to stay up, especially after achieving wins in the first two games after the re-start. We managed without Taylor in those two games, so there was no reason for us not to be able to do so in the remaining games. For some unknown reason the team bottled it when it mattered most, starting with the Millwall match. The rest is history.
  • So will he be in with the AFC Dons home fans tomorrow night cheering them on? Wouldn’t surprise me.
  • I really hate what he done to us, however if the opportunity ever came i wouldn't hate resigning him. Yes he is a shit-house, but at least he would be ours. 

Not saying he deserves it, but just if he can replicate the form he had i am sure all will be forgotten very swiftly.  

I know it wont ever happen, so we can continue to hate the bar steward :expressionless:
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Twat 

Couldn't agree less.

Fair enough.
    I was also gutted that he chose not to play on, but it was no ordinary season so cannot be compared to any other situation.
    I just don't understand the hatred and bile directed towards any player that chooses to walk away from Charlton, Taylor and Parker included.
    We, as supporters, might not like it but footballers are doing a job for money, not for the love of a club.
    The remaining squad of the 2019/20 season had more than enough to stay up, especially after achieving wins in the first two games after the re-start. We managed without Taylor in those two games, so there was no reason for us not to be able to do so in the remaining games. For some unknown reason the team bottled it when it mattered most, starting with the Millwall match. The rest is history.
    Those strikers he left behind again, more than enough?

Hemed : 0 goals in 18 games and semi retired to NZ footy after the season

Ocran : now in non league after failing to make a single league appearance in his career

Davison : Now in L2 having failed in L1 this year.

A Green : went on to make 13 games for Wednesday before disappearing to Slovakian football.

Bonne : limited success with us that year. Failed at QPR and now back in L1 with Ipswich where he has 2 more goals than Conor Washington and has 1 goal in the last 5 months.

Aneke : Injured. Did not play again that season

I think that you're suffering a bit of memory loss. 
    Not sure but I believe that Aneke played in every game after the re-start.
    Bonne had such limited success that year that he scored 11 goals in 33 league games and signed for QPR for £2m shortly after the start of the following season when he had zero goals in three league games for us.
    Plus it's not just about the goalscorers is it, try looking at the rest of the squad and then tell me it wasn't good enough to have stayed up.
  • Valley11 said:
    Twat 

Couldn't agree less.
    Football contracts might have said 30 June, but what that means in SPIRIT is until after the end of the season, as that's how football contracts are written.

No excuse for not being available for all the games after the 30th June as well. I'm sure 95% of out of contract players extended until the actual end of the season.
  • Valley11 said:
    Twat 

Couldn't agree less.
    Football contracts might have said 30 June, but what that means in SPIRIT is until after the end of the season, as that's how football contracts are written.

No excuse for not being available for all the games after the 30th June as well. I'm sure 95% of out of contract players extended until the actual end of the season.
    In an ideal world I'd agree but it was far from ideal. No club player has ever been asked to play as late as 30 June, let alone the end of July

There's no such thing as spirit in football just as there's no loyalty in football, from player to club or vice versa.

Football is a business, end of.....except where fans are concerned, of course.
  • I don't think Lyle Taylor is a narcissist.

Only people who know him personally could confirm or deny a potential personality disorder he may have.

His public image is - he is an outspoken character and he speaks his mind. 
    It is rare for footballers to always be like that, so it stands out.

Actions do always speak louder than words. 

We thought we had a Charlton hero.

Lyle showed his true colours when he betrayed Charlton. His lust for success and money, very much outweighed his loyalty and genuine care.

It's unfortunate

• Good player, shit bloke
    Not sure about this. No doubt he screwed us over but I remember him spending a lot of his free time on community work when he was with us. Not the behaviours of a shit bloke. Selfish when it comes to his career = sure. 
  • Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    His name come up chatting to a mate tonight. 

Tell you what, I loved watching him play for us. Im sure he’ll look back and see it as the best form of his career. Sad how it ended but my ire has softened and I’d probably give him a clap if we crossed paths again now. There was clearly all sorts going on behind the scenes at the time.

He thrived on being our main man, and in a rarity of the last 15 years, actually delivered. 

I like Stockley and I like Washington, but they are well below what we had with Taylor. 
    Cannot get my head around how any Charlton fan could think this.
    Some people are able to look at situations from various angles and not just one.
    The bloke turned his back on the club you support and directly led to them being relegated. What more is there to look at? He's a prick.
    The angle to look at/consider is that he's a far better player than Washington and Stockley and I think better than any current L1 striker. If he came back he would help our chances of promotion.
    (Not that I think he will be returning to us).
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

Tell you what, I loved watching him play for us. Im sure he’ll look back and see it as the best form of his career. Sad how it ended but my ire has softened and I’d probably give him a clap if we crossed paths again now. There was clearly all sorts going on behind the scenes at the time.

He thrived on being our main man, and in a rarity of the last 15 years, actually delivered. 

I like Stockley and I like Washington, but they are well below what we had with Taylor. 
    Some people are able to look at situations from various angles and not just one.
    The bloke turned his back on the club you support and directly led to them being relegated. What more is there to look at? He's a prick.
    There are certain traits of his character that are not perfect. He's not alone there.
    As for being a prick, I prefer to look at the reason behind why Taylor was going to be leaving. Well run clubs try to tie down their most saleable assets. Under Roland and the various clowns that he sold to Charlton were far from well run. The considerable failings of Roland and Southall ensured that Taylor didn't sign a new contract, although I'm sure that he would have liked to.
    If anyone is a prick then I'd reserve that title for the two people that ensured that he wasn't staying the club. 
  • Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

There are certain traits of his character that are not perfect. He's not alone there.
    As for being a prick, I prefer to look at the reason behind why Taylor was going to be leaving. Well run clubs try to tie down their most saleable assets. Under Roland and the various clowns that he sold to Charlton were far from well run. The considerable failings of Roland and Southall ensured that Taylor didn't sign a new contract, although I'm sure that he would have liked to.
    If anyone is a prick then I'd reserve that title for the two people that ensured that he wasn't staying the club. 
    I don't care that he left, or that he didn't sign a new deal, I care that refused to play while still under contract. That is inexcusable, no matter how much of a circus the club was at the time.
    And those three games, for which he was still under contract, yielded seven points. Didn't really cost us much at all then. 
  • Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

I don't care that he left, or that he didn't sign a new deal, I care that refused to play while still under contract. That is inexcusable, no matter how much of a circus the club was at the time.
    And those three games, for which he was still under contract, yielded seven points. Didn't really cost us much at all then. 
    How many points did we go down by?
  • Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

How many points did we go down by?
    And how many games did we play in July to obtain sufficient points to avoid that fate.
    If Taylor had played in the three June games we may not have achieved the seven points that we did. 
    Not sure about this. No doubt he screwed us over but I remember him spending a lot of his free time on community work when he was with us. Not the behaviours of a shit bloke. Selfish when it comes to his career = sure. 
    Spend five minutes reading his twitter posts and it becomes obvious he is a nob.
    Indeed it was because of this that the nature of his exit was so disappointing.