Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Richard Murray

Comments

• Options
    I do not believe Murray wishes any bad outcome for Charlton.
    he went too far with his spat with Jordon by appointing Dowie.
    he was not openly supportive of the club during the RD time, but I do not believe would harm the club.
    I don't think he'd openly set out to harm the club........but he would probably do whatever he could to stop Varney taking over.
  • Options
    Even when the club could be on the verge of extinction, you still think he would put a spoke in Mr Varney's efforts?
    Surely, he would be vilified beyond redemption if he were to do this?
  • Options
    If you were to build a list of the positives and negatives of Richard Murrays involvement in charlton, unfortunately that list weighs heavily in the wrong way. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Even when the club could be on the verge of extinction, you still think he would put a spoke in Mr Varney's efforts?
    Surely, he would be vilified beyond redemption if he were to do this?
    I have absolutely no doubt Richard Murray's aim will be to be seen to ride to the rescue himself. That won't involve working with Peter Varney. Quite the opposite.
     Been there. Done that.....numerous times.

Dont really think that’s his forté
  • Options
    I'm not very clued up on this subject, why do Murray and Varney have beef with each other?
    RM maintained that Notorious B.I.G was the best rapper of his generation. 

PV was having none of it and countered that in fact Tupac was “the shizzle”. 
    I heard that varney was the biggy fan
  • Options
    I'm not very clued up on this subject, why do Murray and Varney have beef with each other?
    Because neither are vegans, and they prefer beef to lamb or pork...
  • Options
    What Murray did which was successful was to bring in the right man and let him run the key aspects of the club. When he was unsuccessful, he tried to do those things himself. He has clearly demonstrated over the years that finding Curbs was immense good fortune and his ego decided to believe his own publicity. Murray was lucky, not talented in any way shape or form and we have seen him look down on fans and get into bed with people damaging to the club. We got that, his stupid ego seems to have still prevented him doing so. The further away from the club he is, the better. 
    Sorry, but it's grossly unfair and inaccurate to say Murray was just lucky or not talented, when you look at the 1991-2006 period, where the club was when he first got involved, and how far it developed, on AND off the pitch. Varney only joined in 1997, many of the key decisions had already been made by that stage

Of course it all went horribly wrong after 2006, but lets not rewrite history to ignore his contributions before then
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I used to think not, but there is a lot of evidence to say otherwise. What he did right was appoint the right man and the club moved forwards in Curbishley's image. Curbishley knew not to overspend etc... and Murray knew to let him get on with it. Then when Curbishley went, a structure that took much of the power away from the manager was introduced, despite it working so well with Curbishley. And that new structure was a disaster.

Dowie struggled, but I maintain, he had not lost the dressing room when he was sacked. He was sacked because he was trying to break free of the shackles and manage. Reed was the ultimate reason we got relegated. Not trying to say Dowie was a great manager, but the 'new' structure was a major issue.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    What Murray did which was successful was to bring in the right man and let him run the key aspects of the club. When he was unsuccessful, he tried to do those things himself. He has clearly demonstrated over the years that finding Curbs was immense good fortune and his ego decided to believe his own publicity. Murray was lucky, not talented in any way shape or form and we have seen him look down on fans and get into bed with people damaging to the club. We got that, his stupid ego seems to have still prevented him doing so. The further away from the club he is, the better. 
    Sorry, but it's grossly unfair and inaccurate to say Murray was just lucky or not talented, when you look at the 1991-2006 period, where the club was when he first got involved, and how far it developed, on AND off the pitch. Varney only joined in 1997, many of the key decisions had already been made by that stage

Of course it all went horribly wrong after 2006, but lets not rewrite history to ignore his contributions before then
    Key decisions were the appointment of Curbs as sole manager in 1995 and Varney in 1997 - Murray did not really make the 1991 appointment of joint managers although he and Simons were key to the return to The Valley in 1992. More so in the end than Alwen. You can’t make a clear distinction between pre and post 2006 as there were things that could have been done better before then, including the fateful decision not to sell the club in 2005, albeit I accept that would have been controversial.
  • Options

Key decisions were the appointment of Curbs as sole manager in 1995 and Varney in 1997 - Murray did not really make the 1991 appointment of joint managers although he and Simons were key to the return to The Valley in 1992. More so in the end than Alwen. You can’t make a clear distinction between pre and post 2006 as there were things that could have been done better before then, including the fateful decision not to sell the club in 2005, albeit I accept that would have been controversial.
    Were Gold and Robinson from Birmingham the interested parties?
  • Options
    edited July 2020

No, Simon Jordan
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The infrastructure did develop a lot between 92 and 97, when you consider the East Stand was built and the small West Stand was being significantly expanded, partially financed by the share issue. Although not finished until 1998, the West stand was well under construction when Varney joined in October 97, a crucial revenue earner for the club, and making the Valley a credible modern stadium

And of course it was the signing of Super Clive in 1997 which was the key ingredient in making us a genuine promotion contender, the first time we splashed the cash for a very long time, a clear attempt to get promotion.

Obviously he made mistakes as well before 2006, but overall Murray is heavily in credit for that period. 
  • Options

No, Simon Jordan
    But @Airman Brown said controversial....
  • Options
    Any word from the great man?
  • Options
    Any word from the great man?
    'It's just an Internet thing, it'll all blow over' 😤
  • Options
    To be fair to him (and yes I know he has made plenty of mistakes  ).
    But after what he done for this club years ago I reckon he feels pretty sick about the whole situation.