Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Windrush scandal

Charlton Life is full of bright, intelligent, engaged Lifers, and this forum affords a huge array of topics. From football to films, music to mental health, holidays to horse racing and politics to Pot Noodle. So, while there are threads that concentrate on some areas of political life, there is not yet one on the biggest scandal to hit the UK, namely the WIndrush scandal.

So with apologies to those for whom "another" political thread is too much (and, to those people, as well as apologies, I will offer the suggestion, that you don't open this thread and, instead look at any of the others), this is a thread, posted for selfish reasons, on the debacle of the Windrush scandal. Why "selfish"? Because I want to understand the issue better - I have posted this thread in order to understand a few questions that are completely baffling me right now. Those questions are:

1. Why has Theresa May not resigned?
2. Why has Amber Rudd not either been sacked or had the decency to resign?
3. How much worse is this going to get?

...and, sadly, the one that's worrying me the most...

4. If the government is going after British subjects who have lived in, worked in, paid taxes to and contributed to the United Kingdom for decades, who will they go after next?

Most of us are lucky enough to live in the greatest country on Earth, of course. But this scandal impacts each and every one of us. It's so all-encompassing and dangerous that it can be summed up in a simple sentence. "The government is selecting some British citizens to persecute, terrorise, incarcerate and threaten with deportation". There are lots of questions that need answering and I can't answer them. Can any Lifers help out?

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, its disgraceful,

but I'm not sure why May is getting all the flack on it as I'm sure I read that a bloke had not been allowed to return to the UK since the early the 2000's, when Blair and Brown were at the helm? Or maybe I'm wrong....

British people with Commonwealth heritage under threat of being "deported" from the UK, while returning Islamic State terrorists are welcomed

• Options
    Oh and I give this -

https://youtu.be/odqSCLHSPkU
  • Options
    As I said on the "How dot he Tories need to change" thread, I don't think they deliberately set out to terrorise Jamaican grandparents. They set out to create a "hostile environment" for illegal migrants. They were warned that there would be a price to pay in terms of hitting legal migrants who might not have the amount of paperwork required. It should have been obvious that this would disproportionately affect people from the Caribbean and Indian subcontinent.
    At the time it was more important to both main parties to be seen to be tough on migration, as they were worried about being outflanked by UKIP and the far right.
    May won't resign over this as she thinks it was the right policy and is fronting things out with a token apology.
    Rudd seems to be hanging on on the grounds that it started under May, and presumably has May's support in hanging on so as not to leave herself exposed.
    I'm not sure it will get a lot worse, but you never know.
    The govt will only ever go after people it can paint as "other" - children of migrants, people who aren't "like us". I think if you are white, British and not Muslim, you're probably alright for the foreseeable. If you're an EU citizen, or a child of EU citizens born and brought up here whose parents have never worried about getting you British nationality, then I think you have every right to be worried.
  • Options
    Not sure the scandal impacts on "each and every one of us" to be honest. I feel sorry for them and I hope they get what they want but I am not losing sleep over it.
  • Options

Not sure the scandal impacts on "each and every one of us" to be honest. I feel sorry for them and I hope they get what they want but I am not losing sleep over it.

As long as you're alright. :neutral:
  • Options

As long as you're alright. :neutral:
    Not quite what I said, however I can have little impact on the outcome. If I vote I vote Conservative and I agree with everything DA9 said above. Why should May & Rudd resign over something the Labour Party did.

If these people arrived via the system the way they claim and have been working and paying taxes here for the last 40 years then they have every right to stay and be given papers.
  • Options
    Complete and utter shambles - it reflects terribly on the UK.

I hope those affected get decent treatment going forward.

I doubt anybody will resign or accept responsibility.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

DA9 said:

Decision to destroy records taken by civil servants under a labour government when moving offices/buildings, how May & Rudd are responsible is a mystery to me.
    They can only reverse & repair the damage (and they should) but they are not responsible for the original decision.

It appears the decision to destroy the landing records was taken before May was Home Secretary. Quite how or why that decision was taken beats me. But I would like to assume anyone carrying out that decision would be sensible enough to ensure every record was first recorded, photocopied, transcribed, digitised, or, in some other way, preserved. So why didn't May do this?

Theresa May has been in charge of the Home Office or in charge of the appointment of the Home Secretary for eight years. There is no-one else who has had more control or more responsibility for every action taken by the Home Office for the whole of this decade.

The scandal is her fault. It may be argued that it's not solely her fault. It may be argued that other people should also carry the can. But the whole debacle is her fault.

In the old days, government ministers used to resign. If you're old enough to remember the Falklands conflict breaking out, you can probably remember Carrington. He did the decent thing. She hasn't.
    Blair, weapons of mass destruction (not), David Kelly Iraq #justsaying
  • Options
    Why do these people beed that one piece of documentation to prove who they are and whrn they arrived in the UK? Surely they've been in the system since, so there must be more, more reliable paperwork (rent book, council tax, and income tax numbers) than that that's been binned?
  • Options
    To me there have been a series of cockups over this, with the law of unintended consequences coming into play. It was never the intention to target these people, indeed it's weird that people can have been here for 50/60 years without their status being made officially permanent

The Conservatives aren't blameless, but the Home Office in general has been a shambles for year, it's one of the reason Home Secretaries don't usually tend to last very long.
  • Options

Why do these people beed that one piece of documentation to prove who they are and whrn they arrived in the UK? Surely they've been in the system since, so there must be more, more reliable paperwork (rent book, council tax, and income tax numbers) than that that's been binned?

Shush. There are "bigger" issues here... Don't complicate hysteria with some common sense.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

A government selecting which British people, legally resident in the UK, paying taxes and getting on with their lives are chosen for detention and deportation is a scandal which impacts everyone.
    You missed my other post above however when I vote I vote for "this" Government, I would rather not vote than let Labour and Jeremy Corben anywhere near 10 Downing Street.

You make it sound as if people are being picked up by squads and frog marched to Heathrow, the people in question came to the UK and settled here, there has been a mix up with their papers caused by a Labour Government and it has hit the headlines.

Sad Labour politicians are no more concerned about these poor people than most of the country, they are simply using the situation to point score and get May or Rudd to resign.

As I say I am not expecting a knock on my door any time soon asking me to leave the country so I shall sleep well tonight.
  • Options
    Labour ordered the destruction of the records the Tories implemented it.

The question is was it cock-up or conspiracy?

• Options
    Has anyone noticed how Corbyn has kept quiet on this scandal? Yet he is nearly always first to criticise and promise the world for free at such times
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Sometimes mistakes are made.

Doesn't mean you should lose your job.

Seems to me they are doing all they can to rectify the situation.

Aye. Or be deported, have driving licenses revoked, refused NHS cancer treatment, and so on.

This is a truly monumental fuck-up from both government and the civil service stretching across different leaderships/parties, and it seems zero common sense has been applied.

Chizz, to answer your questions:

1) She probably justifiably doesn't accept full responsibility.

2) As above, though she's not exactly handled things well. It is under her steer that this generation has been prosecuted.

3) Thankfully, not too much worse, now everything is really coming to light in a big way.

4) A little bit of a slippery slope there, but I get what you mean. The impression has been created of a callous, ruthless government - for some people - and that ain't good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Chizz said:

A government selecting which British people, legally resident in the UK, paying taxes and getting on with their lives are chosen for detention and deportation is a scandal which impacts everyone.
    You missed my other post above however when I vote I vote for "this" Government, I would rather not vote than let Labour and Jeremy Corben anywhere near 10 Downing Street.

You make it sound as if people are being picked up by squads and frog marched to Heathrow, the people in question came to the UK and settled here, there has been a mix up with their papers caused by a Labour Government and it has hit the headlines.

Sad Labour politicians are no more concerned about these poor people than most of the country, they are simply using the situation to point score and get May or Rudd to resign.

As I say I am not expecting a knock on my door any time soon asking me to leave the country so I shall sleep well tonight.
    You're getting there, eaststandmike. You're getting closer to the point. Let me spell it out.

You're a British citizen. You don't expect a knock on the door any time soon. You don't expect anyone to ask you to leave the country. That is a description of many Windrush generation British citizens (as it is of many others - Polish RAF pilots, for example).

You don't expect a knock on the door, until you get a letter, giving you seven days' notice. Can you imagine how frightening that must be?
  • Options

When you're asked for records and provide them, only to be told that they're incomplete, or don't cover the full period over which you've been resident, what do you do?

If you're told to keep papers, you do. If you're not told to keep them, then you're asked to prove where you were 60 years ago, when you were 6 years old, that can be a struggle. No?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Charlton Life is full of bright, intelligent, engaged Lifers, and this forum affords a huge array of topics. From football to films, music to mental health, holidays to horse racing and politics to Pot Noodle. So, while there are threads that concentrate on some areas of political life, there is not yet one on the biggest scandal to hit the UK, namely the WIndrush scandal.

So with apologies to those for whom "another" political thread is too much (and, to those people, as well as apologies, I will offer the suggestion, that you don't open this thread and, instead look at any of the others), this is a thread, posted for selfish reasons, on the debacle of the Windrush scandal. Why "selfish"? Because I want to understand the issue better - I have posted this thread in order to understand a few questions that are completely baffling me right now. Those questions are:

1. Why has Theresa May not resigned?
    2. Why has Amber Rudd not either been sacked or had the decency to resign?
    3. How much worse is this going to get?

...and, sadly, the one that's worrying me the most...

4. If the government is going after British subjects who have lived in, worked in, paid taxes to and contributed to the United Kingdom for decades, who will they go after next?

Most of us are lucky enough to live in the greatest country on Earth, of course. But this scandal impacts each and every one of us. It's so all-encompassing and dangerous that it can be summed up in a simple sentence. "The government is selecting some British citizens to persecute, terrorise, incarcerate and threaten with deportation". There are lots of questions that need answering and I can't answer them. Can any Lifers help out?

I never get involved in these kind of threads, but......@Chizz, for someone who is just trying to seek understanding, your OP is massively loaded against the current government. The road to understanding might be best travelled when starting from a more neutral position.
  • Options
    Mistakes have been made but it's mainly a scandal to those who disagree with tighter border controls and want a stick to beat the government with.
  • Options
    PWR.

Because the boarding cards were disposed of in 2009 - nothing to do with May or Rudd.
  • Options

Have you got those records going back 50 years? Do you have them with your name on them when only your mum or dad was on the rent book? Do you have at least 4 for every year? Does your mum maybe have a different name to you?
    Were you so poor that you never got a passport? Do you have all your payslips? You do know that simply paying tax doesn't give you the right to live here, don't you?

Do you understand what "hostile environment" might mean, especially in the hands of eager, nit-picking civil servants?

• Options
    edited April 2018
    cafc999 said:

Has anyone noticed how Corbyn has kept quiet on this scandal? Yet he is nearly always first to criticise and promise the world for free at such times

Corbyn was the first to raise it in parliament directly to May at PMQs was he not?
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    MrOneLung said:

Sometimes mistakes are made.

Doesn't mean you should lose your job.

Seems to me they are doing all they can to rectify the situation.

no they should be hung drawn and quartered.

if jezza was in charge it would be a case of this was before his time etc. they are trying to rectify the situation, a bit like the banning of plastic straws i think is a great move yet was barely mentioned.
  • Options

PWR.

Because the boarding cards were disposed of in 2009 - nothing to do with May or Rudd.

Wrong. One small item that was used by civil servants when they were allowed to use "discretion". Even if they hadn't been destroyed, May's "hostile environment" policy would have seen them ignored.