Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Options
    I mean if Jennings doesn't get a score in the next game I'm certain Burns will get a go
  • Options
    I think that is a good move bringing Ollie Pope in, I am not sure Chris Woakes is fit enough to play a test match at the moment and I would go for Porter or Mooen to replace Stokes, depending on the wicket.
  • Options
    Pope has come in at the moment I expected Essex's Dan Lawrence to - but the latter hasn't really hit form this season like I expected him to.

The other option, with Livingstone injured, would have been Hildreth, but England appear to simply not believe in him
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Pope has come in at the moment I expected Essex's Dan Lawrence to - but the latter hasn't really hit form this season like I expected him to.

The other option, with Livingstone injured, would have been Hildreth, but England appear to simply not believe in him

Hildreth would be a backward step, if he was good enough to play for England he would have done 10 years ago.
  • Options
    Wow, Ollie Pope, thats a bit left field. the fact he is replacing Malan , and that Stokes is out, means that he will play.
  • Options
    When everyone is fit,in the future you could have a situation where England play with 4/5 genuine all-rounders...Moeen,Stokes,Curran,Woakes and Bairstow
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    It won't long before england field a team where all 11 have either taken a test wicket, or a stumping AND scored a test ton! Could even be this year.
  • Options
    Cook has both
    Jennings has a ton and has bowled in tests
    Root has both
    JB has both
    Malan has a ton and an international wicket
    Butler has neither!
    Stokes has both
    Ali has both
    Broad has both
    Curran will get a ton one day
    Woakes has 9 1st class tons

• Options
    Surprised Buttler hasnt got a ton but surely he's got a stumping?
  • Options
    Top score 85, has no test stumping but 25 odi ones
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watched the replay at last

On reflection - if Root hadn't been run out and Kohli not dropped on 21 by Malan we may very well have cruised this test.

That said wouldn't have changed a thing as that was a fantastic test match
  • Options
    BR3red said:

Watched the replay at last

On reflection - if Root hadn't been run out and Kohli not dropped on 21 by Malan we may very well have cruised this test.

That said wouldn't have changed a thing as that was a fantastic test match

If India had picked a second spinner instead of Hardik who hardly bowled all match, things would have been a lot harder for the England batsmen, whereas the same can't be said of the English attack where all 4 seamers made key contributions.
  • Options
    Feel very sorry for Malan - bit harsh to get binned after the first Test of the series especially when it was a bowlers pitch.

That spell that Sharma bowled to him was top-class and would have got most batsmen out.

Probably the last we will see of Malan which is a shame because he played pretty well in Oz against a top-class attack.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

How the fuck does Woakes just stroll back in like that, with no form to speak of?

Rory Burns is still in the 'run selector's cat over' bracket I think

Especially when he was crap last year against the Windies when brought back in similar circumstances.

Think they are desperate for a fourth seamer and know it's a risk with only three in the side, if the pitch does turn then Root can bowl his off-spin in tandem with Rashid.

Think we'll see the following XI - very strange side these days with so many all-rounders, I can remember when England used to pick seven batsmen (including Stewart as keeper) and just four bowlers!

Cook
    Jennings
    Root
    Pope
    Bairstow
    Buttler
    Woakes
    Curran
    Rashid
    Broad
    Anderson
  • Options

Leuth said:

How the fuck does Woakes just stroll back in like that, with no form to speak of?

Rory Burns is still in the 'run selector's cat over' bracket I think

Especially when he was crap last year against the Windies when brought back in similar circumstances.

Think they are desperate for a fourth seamer and know it's a risk with only three in the side, if the pitch does turn then Root can bowl his off-spin in tandem with Rashid.

Think we'll see the following XI - very strange side these days with so many all-rounders, I can remember when England used to pick seven batsmen (including Stewart as keeper) and just four bowlers!

Cook
    Jennings
    Root
    Pope
    Bairstow
    Buttler
    Woakes
    Curran
    Rashid
    Broad
    Anderson
    I don't think Woakes was crap, against the Windies last year, he scored 61 not out in the second innings, our failure again in that game was not to score enough runs when batting first, 258 all out, with Stokes scoring 100 of those
  • Options
    Over the moon for Pope. And thoroughly deserved he's been another level this year. Just like I said about Sam last week I think it may be slightly too early - but Sam proved me wrong and I hope pope can too. It's right to pick him while he is in form and confident.

My one worry is that he bats at 6 for Surrey. He has only once batted at 5 (he scored a ton) and never at 4. It's a different role batting at 4 to batting at 6. To expect him to come in at 4 in a test side and be comfortable is a big ask. I can't see them moving Bairstow up unless they take the gloves off him.

Good to see England following Surrey's lead and getting 3 keepers in the side. Get burns and Foakes in soon and we can have a whole team of them!!

It'll probably depend on the pitch to decide which of Moeen or Woakes get the nod. With Sam proving he is capable in the last match of be happy to go with 2 spinners and use Jennings useful seam bowling as 4th seamer.
  • Options

Over the moon for Pope. And thoroughly deserved he's been another level this year. Just like I said about Sam last week I think it may be slightly too early - but Sam proved me wrong and I hope pope can too. It's right to pick him while he is in form and confident.

My one worry is that he bats at 6 for Surrey. He has only once batted at 5 (he scored a ton) and never at 4. It's a different role batting at 4 to batting at 6. To expect him to come in at 4 in a test side and be comfortable is a big ask. I can't see them moving Bairstow up unless they take the gloves off him.

Good to see England following Surrey's lead and getting 3 keepers in the side. Get burns and Foakes in soon and we can have a whole team of them!!

It'll probably depend on the pitch to decide which of Moeen or Woakes get the nod. With Sam proving he is capable in the last match of be happy to go with 2 spinners and use Jennings useful seam bowling as 4th seamer.

I would move Bairstow up to 4, give Butler the gloves, and play Pope at 5, I would like to see Moeen play, if not give Porter a chance
  • Options
    certainly not short of wicket keeping options
  • Options
    For the Moeen doubters btw....he did play The Ashes with an injured bowling hand, and is now back to his best. Looked extremely menacing on TV the other day, albeit in a T20
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

For the Moeen doubters btw....he did play The Ashes with an injured bowling hand, and is now back to his best. Looked extremely menacing on TV the other day, albeit in a T20

Agree. He also had just had England messing around with his action. Before that he had been very good. Last summer there was the whole Moeena Lisa thing with the fans idolising him. His stats as an England all rounder are fairly solid.

Having said that I would stick with Rashid for now. Moeen comes in as second spinner if needed.
  • Options
    I always think that Ben Foakes is unlucky not to get a game, even if he comes in just as a batsman his form for the last 2 seasons has been good enough
  • Options
    Yeah, I think Rashid did enough to get another go as first choice - the test will come when he's bowling at the upper order, needing to make breakthroughs. I like a two-spinner attack though!
  • Options
    My team would be:

Cook
    Jennings (Burns in if Jennings fails at Lords)
    Root
    Pope
    Bairstow
    Foakes
    Stokes
    Curran
    Rashid
    Broad
    Anderson
  • Options
    Also, Moeen scored almost 200 runs the last time he played India ;)
  • Options
    Personally never seen Pope bat so can someone confirm to me whether he is right or left handed?
    Bairstow should go up to 4.
    I wouldn't have thought Woakes is fit enough for a 5 day test match.
    Unlikely to need 2 spinners (in fact hope we don't as we will have no chance if the wicket is produced for that) and Rashid certainly does deserve another go
    On that logic the final place should go to Porter.
  • Options
    redman said:

Personally never seen Pope bat so can someone confirm to me whether he is right or left handed?
    Bairstow should go up to 4.
    I wouldn't have thought Woakes is fit enough for a 5 day test match.
    Unlikely to need 2 spinners (in fact hope we don't as we will have no chance if the wicket is produced for that) and Rashid certainly does deserve another go
    On that logic the final place should go to Porter.

Pope bats right handed.
  • Options

My team would be:

Cook
    Jennings (Burns in if Jennings fails at Lords)
    Root
    Pope
    Bairstow
    Foakes
    Stokes
    Curran
    Rashid
    Broad
    Anderson

I should be dismayed at Surrey losing their 2 best young players for the run in to winning the championship. But I'm not. We are in a great position and have such depth that nothing can stop us now.

England could call up 10 of our first team and is still back us to win the championship. We are that good.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    The Surrey bashing on the BBC comments section is hilarious. It seems born out of some kind of inferiority complex and completly misinformed!

When was the last time Surrey had a regular player in the test side? And if we are producing the best young players in the country - as demonstrated by running away with the championship with a squad that is 3/4 home grown then why shouldn't the beta young players be in the England side.

A case could be made for at least 4 others to be considered for the test side. Foakes, Burns, Virdi and Borthwick are all having great seasons. Stoneman and Tom only recently played test cricket. Smith and Bayliss rate Roy and want him in the middle order.

The same people are calling for DBD or Bell instead. FFS. Idiot's.
  • Options
    Producing my arse, Essex produced Foakes. ;)