Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

***Lee Bowyer - Caretaker Manager (Jackson Assistant)***

Comments

• Options
    clive said:
    Interesting how he says about being pleased at the return of Dasilva... Will be really harsh to drop Page and wonder if he'd be tempted to deploy the former at Left Midfield
  • Options

Is maybe a little bit too in depth with his interviews (As Northampton will surely expect a 4-4-2 formation of some kind now) - Yet I really like how he goes about explaining it... Especially how he says he hasnt stopped analysing Northampton

Expecting a 4-4-2 "of some kind" still leaves Northampton much further in the dark as to how we will play than if we still had Robinson in charge.
    After the great success of Saturday with a 4-4-2 diamond formation, it would be extraordinary if in his second game he completely changed formations anyway to 3 at the back or (ahem) 4-2-3-1!
  • Options

clive said:
    Interesting how he says about being pleased at the return of Dasilva... Will be really harsh to drop Page and wonder if he'd be tempted to deploy the former at Left Midfield
    Maybe Jay will just be on the bench, no reason to risk bringing him back too soon? With Stephy, Jay, Josh and Ezri back, our squad suddenly looks quite deep
  • Options
    Bowyer's approach is so refreshing. Almost as refreshing as Red Bull.
  • Options
    3-5-2 anyone?
  • Options

Almost as if we've adopted an approach from down under - hopefully won't have to Kuwait much longer for some consecutive wins.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

3-5-2 anyone?

As long as there are two strikers in tandem up front then the rest can be down to the players available. 3-5-2 is fine if in the 5 are two good wing backs. Dasilva + ?
  • Options

Cool as a Koala's cobblers.
  • Options
    The returnees from international duty and the sickbay will strengthen the bench and provide options for rotation across the 2 fixtures. Injuries aside, none of the returnees can expect to walk straight back into their former places. Also none of them is an obvious replacement for the couple of lesser lights from Saturday's showing. Changes to Friday's starting lineup may have more to do with the Cobblers' expected lineup. JDS is certainly the best left back at the club and probably among the better left wingers too, if fit he'll certainly get to contribute at some point across the weekend.
    I'm off to find my crowd some big inflatable kangaroos and red'n'white swagman hats. Laters cobbers!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2018

3-5-2 anyone?

As long as there are two strikers in tandem up front then the rest can be down to the players available. 3-5-2 is fine if in the 5 are two good wing backs. Desilva + ?
    Yep. I think Desliva will be fancied by our new manager Kwell. Not to mention Konza, McGuinness, Mavididididididi, Foster-Carksey and Tarik Fossu.
  • Options
    Was just about to rant.

Don't go confusing Jay Dasilva with Josh Dasilva either.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Was just about to rant.

Don't go confusing Jay Dasilva with Josh Dasilva either.

Or his Irish cousin Da'Silva
  • Options

3-5-2 anyone?

As long as there are two strikers in tandem up front then the rest can be down to the players available. 3-5-2 is fine if in the 5 are two good wing backs. Desilva + ?
    Yep. I think Desliva will be fancied by our new manager Kwell. Not to mention Konza, McGuinness, Mavididididididi, Foster-Carksey and Tarik Fossu.
    I really miss Matt Teas,Graham More,Charlie Right and Bob Kurtis from the late 60's it was so much easier to spell their names.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This present incarnation of Lee Bowyer suggests redemption for youthful naughtiness is possible.
    Shakespeare captured some sense of this when he followed Henry IV parts 1 and 2 with Henry V.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

This present incarnation of Lee Bowyer suggests redemption for youthful naughtiness is possible.
    Shakespeare captured some sense of this when he followed Henry IV parts 1 and 2 with Henry V.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I assume you mean this soliloquy.

Prince Henry

I know you all, and will awhile uphold
    The unyok'd humour of your idleness.
    Yet herein will I imitate the Sun,
    Who doth permit the base contagious clouds
    To smother up his beauty from the world,
    That, when he please again to be himself,
    Being wanted, he may be more wonder'd at,
    By breaking through the foul and ugly mists
    Of vapours that did seem to strangle him.
    If all the year were playing holidays,
    To sport would be as tedious as to work;
    But, when they seldom come, they wish'd-for come,
    And nothing pleaseth but rare accidents.
    So when this loose behaviour I throw off,
    And pay the debt I never promised,
    By how much better than my word I am,
    By so much shall I falsify men's hopes;
    And, like bright metal on a sullen ground,
    My reformation, glitt'ring o'er my fault,
    Shall show more goodly and attract more eyes
    Than that which hath no foil to set it off.
    I'll so offend to make offense a skill,
    Redeeming time when men think least I will.

Henry IV Part one Act 1 Scene2

My favourite Shakespeare speech ever.
  • Options
    Nice JWA. What is he on about? Translation please. Educationally interested.
  • Options
    Am I alone in being very pleasantly surprised at what a nice man he seems to be? Never judge anyone by their juvenile antics.
  • Options
    Positively, with players who are fit and what we have starting and on the bench, we seem to as strong as we have been for quite a while. Long may that continue. We are going to need it to if we are going to achieve our play off ambition.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Richard Murray has apparently warned Lee Bowyer that Mondays home game against Rotherham could be his last as caretaker manager.
    Source:- Richard Dunn from the Daily Express interview with Lee Bowyer (not sure how to post the link)
  • Options

Richard Murray has apparently warned Lee Bowyer that Mondays home game against Rotherham could be his last as caretaker manager.

Sorry don't mean to LOL your post but if Murray says Monday then expect Bowyer to remain for the rest of the season.

And if Bowyer is on 3 wins from 3 then what?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Daily Express article by Matthew Dunn
    LEE BOWYER’S chequered disciplinary record was always going to have to be dragged up once again as he takes his first steps into management.
    How, for instance, will Charlton’s caretaker-manager he deal with some of the headaches he has caused his own bosses over the years?

“The players are going to make mistakes,” he says a little tersely. “I hope they don’t, but it happens in every sport.

Having made mistakes myself, I would know how to handle them and how to guide them.
    “Of course I wish I had had my manager’s head on my shoulders when I was a young player. But that is not the case.

"All I would say to the younger player is to try to make the right decisions because it is a short career. But if you don’t, try to make things right.

“I have always been that person who has gone into work and given 100 per cent but I was very passionate and I was a competitive. Terry Venables told me, sometimes I overstepped the mark. I was too competitive.That is the way I was. Now I am still competitive and want to win everything and I am going to set out to win every game and will be disappointed when I don’t. But player-wise I will be there for them and try to guide them. We shook hands at the start and end of our interview. But in the car park afterwards, Bowyer was still keen to assess how his words would be presented.

It is rare that he grants this sort of one-on-one access after attracting so many negative headlines for his past misdemeanours. Always pre-judged, he feels, the one condition attached is that any subsequent article is a fair one.

Eventually, the 41-year-old was persuaded of the relevance of his past in terms of it being a useful learning experience for a new manager. He even shows a glimmer of embarrassment at his worst excesses.

“Okay, but I don’t see why you need to list out everything that I have done,” he counters. “They were all a long time ago, and I am a dad now.” The dirt is not hard to find. We shook hands at the start and end of our interview. But in the car park afterwards, Bowyer was still keen to assess how his words would be presented.

It is rare that he grants this sort of one-on-one access after attracting so many negative headlines for his past misdemeanours. Always pre-judged, he feels, the one condition attached is that any subsequent article is a fair one.

Eventually, the 41-year-old was persuaded of the relevance of his past in terms of it being a useful learning experience for a new manager. He even shows a glimmer of embarrassment at his worst excesses.

“Okay, but I don’t see why you need to list out everything that I have done,” he counters. “They were all a long time ago, and I am a dad now.” The dirt is not hard to find. “When I played my last year at Ipswich, I was still making the same runs but never got the ball. That is why I stopped.”

At least five years way from the game carp-fishing on his own lake in France was not long enough for Bowyer to forget the football education he had picked up along the way.

Following the sacking of Karl Robinson, who brought Bowyer back to the game as his assistant in the summer, that learning was channelled into an opening win against Plymouth on Saturday, where Bowyer unveiled a diamond formation that, quite simply, sparkled.

Unexpected tactical brilliance from a man who once knocked back a mixed zone interview request by saying, “I’m too thick to do an interview!

“Were those the words I used?” Bowyer winces, 19 years later. “I don’t want people to think that I am thick! I am knowledgeable of the game - I have to be, I played at the top for 18 years.
    Cont .......
  • Options
    Cont.......
    “I was fortunate enough to play with top players and against world class players. And I worked under five or six international managers.

"If I have not learned from them, then something is wrong. All I am doing is passing my knowledge on to the players.”

Tonight he locks horns with a team-mate from those Leeds glory days - Northampton boss Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.

“I would not have had him down as a manager, but I do know he is opinionated!” Bowyer said.

Bowyer may only get one game after that to prove his managerial credentials.
    Rumours of an imminent takeover by an Australian consortium - with another Leeds legend Kewell their manager-in-waiting - means director Richard Murray has already ready warned Bowyer that Monday’s game against Rotherham may be his last.

“If they get rid of me after three games, I don’t know if that would be enough for me to see if this is really what I want to do,” Bowyer admits.

On balance - all Bowyer demands, after all - the energy, passion, experience and sincerity that Bowyer showed during our interview would be a sad loss to Charlton and the game.