Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 0 Fleetwood 0 - Post Match Thoughts

Comments

• Options
    Robinson seems to forget that he picked and lauded these players who don't perform. Is that their fault ? They are not as good as he thought and he needs to stand up. He'd get more respect if he did. His head seems firmly placed in the sand and therefore he has to go not least because his choice of player on the pitch and what they are being told to do. And If they decide to shoot at the goal then not hitting the target is not an option.
  • Options

Scoham said:

It's really simple. Our form over the last 21 matches puts us 1 place above the relegation spots.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:league-one/form/matches:21/type:home-and-away/

Change it to 10 games and we're in the bottom half, 5 we drop to 19th. It's poor however you look at it, other than the first few months of the season.

Isn't it time to try something different for at least 2/3 games? What have we got to lose? We can't drop out the play-offs and we almost have enough points to say we definitely won't get relegated.

Even if 4-2-3-1 is your preferred system, isn't it time to gamble on something else and see how it plays out?

If not that, can we at least play at a high tempo, take fewer touches, go direct more often, pass into space more often, press teams harder?

That was how Luzon went on that initial run when he came in. Instead of Peeters slow cautious 4-4-2 we played faster, went more direct (but not out and out long ball), pressed harder and played with more energy. It was still 4-4-2 but we played it in a very different way.

Such a slow build up won't get the best out of this team. Possession doesn't win you points. We mostly play one way so teams know they can either press us and spoil that build up, or sit back in numbers and crowd us out. Both seem to work quite well, while we tend to need moments of individual brilliance to score. No team can rely on that so much to win promotion.

Everyone can see this apart from the man who can do something about it.
    Bowyer, Jackson and the players are probably included in that. Must be frustrating for them if they can see it's not working.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    With Fosu I think it’s nerves that are affecting him when taking corners. He’s quite a shy type.

But I also remember Ricky Holmes losing his mojo with free kicks and corners. What the hell was all that about?
  • Options
    the corner taking is beyond a joke.....must've had 3/4 in the 2nd half in the NW corner and whilst I can accept the odd poor one not beating the first man, Fosu did the same thing every time, absolutely schoolboy stuff
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Of course confidence plays a part and ours is bobbing along the bottom at the moment. But it is a complete cop out to blame the players for their crossing - I can tell you we don't cross well and haven't done for a good few years and even when we do get a decent cross in, we don't usually have enough people in dangerous positions to capitalise - to say we tell them to do it but it isn't my fault if they don't, that is crap - complete crap. Know where your strengths and weaknesses are and play accordingly! When a manager turns on the players it rarely ends well for him.
  • Options
    I am of the opinion,that all corners should be outswingers aimed for the penalty spot,allowing the forwards a run at it.All this near post inswinging,and flick on crap does not work.You also need some organisation when players get to the byline.On one occassion on saturdary,Fosu got right to the line,3 players run into the goal area,not one was available for a lay back and the ball was cleared.I am wondering what sort of form our tactics take during the week.
  • Options
    Why isn't Marshall taking corners anyway? Surely HIS game is about getting wide and crossing the ball, whereas Fosu is more of a dribbler who cuts in from wide positions.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Why isn't Marshall taking corners anyway? Surely HIS game is about getting wide and crossing the ball, whereas Fosu is more of a dribbler who cuts in from wide positions.

Dead ball. Slightly different skill maybe?
    We had a bloke at ITN who used to play for Leatherhead. We called him DBS and he could put it on a sixpence, so it's very frustrating to see real pros failing so regularly. Can't blame Karl for that folks. Can we?

Actually JJ is the set piece coach.
  • Options
    They probably tried some different variations in trainng and Fosu took the best corners. But on a freezing cold day with a hostile atmosphere it can be a different kettle of fish. We have a decent taker in the U18s team I manage, but I swap him over after a couple of poor ones, sometimes after one poor one if I read an issue there and then.
  • Options

the corner taking is beyond a joke.....must've had 3/4 in the 2nd half in the NW corner and whilst I can accept the odd poor one not beating the first man, Fosu did the same thing every time, absolutely schoolboy stuff

And as I said months ago, if you can't get the ball past the first man, put a Charlton player infront of thr first man to keep possession or flick the ball goalwards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I didn't go Saturday mainly due to the weather it was just too cold but I also had a feeling, following the last two results that the game would be crap and by all reports it was. Hard to find motivation to attend again this season, I cannot see us getting into the top six so another season in the pub league beckons.

What I do find puzzling is the number of injuries we sustain that takes players out for the rest of the season, why is this? Is it the training, the physiotherapy what? Because for certain we have missed Billy Clarke, we are missing DaSilva and Mavididi and this must have gone a long way to derailing our season. But for me the major issue remains the so called sell off of the club, which has been going on now since last year and doesn't appear to be resolved and still makes me think that the old duffer is not interested or bothered whether he sells or not, he has an asset he can cash in whenever he wants.

The players are obviously unsettled, motivation is low, the manager doesn't seem to know what to do other than talk a lot and the crowd is dwindling week on week. How did it get to this? I have been going down the Valley for 57 years and I am struggling to think of a more depressing time, even when we were playing at Sellout we had a decent team to watch! Can't see the light at the end of this particular tunnel I am afraid.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    That is just how I felt - it was more the certainty that it was going to be crap than the cold but if it was a nice day I might have gone anyway! That is worrying in itself if you know me and my love for our club. Mathematically if we were on the back of a good run we would be still in with a shout, but we have the manager blaming the fans and the players, the fans blaming the manager and the players and the players seem to be blaming somebody too as an excuse not to put it in so when you are in this sort of malaise something is needed to snap out of it. I was hoping it would be the takeover, but that seems a way off!

As long as it is a decent day, I will probably go the the Plymouth game!!!!!
  • Options

I must have been at a different game then as I don't recall that many crosses coming in from either flank. Marshall put in a few from the right, but not a lot from the left (as KR says, Sarr is a CB & not adept to whipping in crosses) but I do agree that the quality of the crosses were dire. Marshall wants to go whichway & that, 2 or 3 times instead of just beating the defender ON THE OUTSIDE & then putting in a cross.

However, the main problem with all this is that Magennis is just not very good at getting his head onto a cross. There is already a thread on "Leaburn or Josh" so wont go into the merits of his ability, but if Robinson's main argument is that we are playing 4-2-3-1 so that we can put crosses in for Josh to score then he is a bigger fool than even I have given him credit for.

As the saying goes, he opens his mouth just to change feet.

Josh drifting out wide has put in better crosses than most of the dross served up for him this season.
    Josh is quite possibly the best crosser at the club.
    Just what we need ?

Another winger
  • Options

What I do find puzzling is the number of injuries we sustain that takes players out for the rest of the season, why is this? Is it the training, the physiotherapy what? Because for certain we have missed Billy Clarke, we are missing DaSilva and Mavididi and this must have gone a long way to derailing our season. But for me the major issue remains the so called sell off of the club, which has been going on now since last year and doesn't appear to be resolved and still makes me think that the old duffer is not interested or bothered whether he sells or not, he has an asset he can cash in whenever he wants.

Yes, looking up as an example Wigan, they have 8 players with more than 30 (starting and sub) appearances this season, with 4 more in their 20s

With that consistency of team selection, it's not surprising they're so much better than us as a team
  • Options

I must have been at a different game then as I don't recall that many crosses coming in from either flank. Marshall put in a few from the right, but not a lot from the left (as KR says, Sarr is a CB & not adept to whipping in crosses) but I do agree that the quality of the crosses were dire. Marshall wants to go whichway & that, 2 or 3 times instead of just beating the defender ON THE OUTSIDE & then putting in a cross.

However, the main problem with all this is that Magennis is just not very good at getting his head onto a cross. There is already a thread on "Leaburn or Josh" so wont go into the merits of his ability, but if Robinson's main argument is that we are playing 4-2-3-1 so that we can put crosses in for Josh to score then he is a bigger fool than even I have given him credit for.

As the saying goes, he opens his mouth just to change feet.

Josh drifting out wide has put in better crosses than most of the dross served up for him this season.
    Josh is quite possibly the best crosser at the club.
    Ooops !

At first glance I thought this said " Josh is quite possibly the best cross dresser at the club "

Sorry, big man !
  • Options
    Amos: kept us in it
    Konsa: ropey
    Pearce: mostly ok but for that pathetic blunder
    Bauer: ok
    Sarr: terrifying
    Aribo: able and willing
    Forster-Caskey: see Aribo
    Marshall: dead weight
    Reeves: awfully lightweight and awful
    Fosu-Henry: enthusiastic
    Magennis: can do nothing with zero service, this month's scapegoat for the dullards
    Ajose: another square peg
    Zyro: did anyone from the club ever see him play, or train, ever?

Kaikai: parasitic loan sponger
  • Options
    seriously?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

With Fosu I think it’s nerves that are affecting him when taking corners. He’s quite a shy type.

But I also remember Ricky Holmes losing his mojo with free kicks and corners. What the hell was all that about?

perhaps he's in the wrong profession then. Fuck me, I've heard it all now.

• Options

JamesSeed said:

perhaps he's in the wrong profession then. Fuck me, I've heard it all now.

Difference between the premeditated act of a deadball situation and the instinctive response of normal play.

Fosu strikes me as quite instinctive in the way he plays although his ability at winning free kicks suggests he has a brain too.

I wasn't there on Saturday but maybe he just had a bad day. Charlton have rarely been known for potency at corners in recent years whoever takes them!
  • Options

Amos: kept us in it
    Konsa: ropey
    Pearce: mostly ok but for that pathetic blunder
    Bauer: ok
    Sarr: terrifying
    Aribo: able and willing
    Forster-Caskey: see Aribo
    Marshall: dead weight
    Reeves: awfully lightweight and awful
    Fosu-Henry: enthusiastic
    Magennis: can do nothing with zero service, this month's scapegoat for the dullards
    Ajose: another square peg
    Zyro: did anyone from the club ever see him play, or train, ever?

Kaikai: parasitic loan sponger

No, because he only came back from a serious injury last September & I believe his only competitive game was a League Cup tie. He probably played a few U23 games, but seeing as KR was looking at other targets before xmas then I don't reckon Zyro was ever on the radar before mid Jan. Makes loaning out KAG even more stupid, but we've gone down that road too many times.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thew only player in the side right now who has a decent dead ball delivery is JFC, albeit a little bit inconsistent. No world beater, but he at least seems to be able to get a bit of whip in the ball and get if higher than 6 inches off the ground.
  • Options
    "Here's Charlton Athletic reporter's reaction after defeat to Fleetwood - and he wasn't impressed"

The above is the headline from Kentlive website. Maybe he means 'Hear' not 'Here's'. Hmmm, thought we had got a draw though? The standard of journalism has deteriorated over the past decade so I shouldn't be too surprised I suppose. Is there no editorial check? Was this produced by some 19-year-old who has no interest in football? Oh well, won't be visiting that website again.
  • Options
    Robinson's smile at the final whistle has wound me up to a frenzy. Just Go you gobby tosser.
  • Options

The corner situation is an odd one with both Holmes/Fosu being very weak in this area yet they should be more than capable.

I recall Johann Berg Gudmundsson would similarly struggle on this front which I couldn't make sense of.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    We keep losing 'must win' matches.
    Surprisingly the bookies are offering 23/10 on a Plymouth win, and just 11/10 on Charlton.
    Think that's the wrong way round.
  • Options
    lungrot said:

We've scored fewer goals this season than Fleetwood or Oldham. None of our players is in the top 24 goalscorers in Division One.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/top-scorers

The season was written off by Duchatelet when we didn't sign a striker last summer.

I think we need to look closer to home for that one.........one certain Mr Robinson. Even when we lost 3 strikers (Vetokele, Ajose, Watt) before the end of the transfer window he still let Novak leave without any suitable replacement & then when he had a chance to sign a striker in January he brought in Kaikai & Zyro.........and let KAG go out on loan. Robinson only wants to play one way - holding out for Reeves goes to prove that.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Surprisingly the bookies are only offering 23/10 on a Charlton win at Plymouth.

IF (and its a very big IF) we have any chance of getting into the play-offs we have 2 big home games coming up. Plymouth & Scunthorpe. Win those 2, and our game in hand at Wimbledon (I've given the Shrewsbury game up) and we are back in the mix. Anything less & we are doomed for another season in this league.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

JamesSeed said:

Surprisingly the bookies are only offering 23/10 on a Charlton win at Plymouth.

IF (and its a very big IF) we have any chance of getting into the play-offs we have 2 big home games coming up. Plymouth & Scunthorpe. Win those 2, and our game in hand at Wimbledon (I've given the Shrewsbury game up) and we are back in the mix. Anything less & we are doomed for another season in this league.
    That's a seriously depressing prospect.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Surprisingly the bookies are offering 23/10 on a Plymouth win, and just 11/10 on Charlton.
    Think that's the wrong way round.

Great news for Charlton - they will definitely win on Saturday as I've just backed Plymouth @5/2 onBet 365.