Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 0 Fleetwood 0 - Post Match Thoughts

Comments

• Options
    442 with Ajose and Zyro is much more the way to play. Pinging in high crosses from out wide where their defence is in place is generally a waste of time and we take so long to get the ball up the field that their defence is always in place.

So, next game, start with this:

Amos,
    Probably Konsa, BFG, Pearce, Sarr because there are no full-backs not hors de combat.
    Reeves, JFC, Aribo, Fosu-Henry
    Żyro, Ajose
  • Options

442 with Ajose and Zyro is much more the way to play. Pinging in high crosses from out wide where their defence is in place is generally a waste of time and we take so long to get the ball up the field that their defence is always in place.

So, next game, start with this:

Amos,
    Probably Konsa, BFG, Pearce, Sarr because there are no full-backs not hors de combat.
    Reeves, JFC, Aribo, Fosu-Henry
    Żyro, Ajose

I think Konsa is on international duty next week.

I'd go:

Amos

Djiksteel Bauer Pearce Sarr

Marshall Aribo JFC Fosu

Zyro Ajose
  • Options
    edited March 2018

This is what happens if you sell your best player and don't replace him.

I think we're missing Mavididi as much as Holmes.

As many have said this is the weakest league one for a long long time (it will be tougher next year with Birmingham led by a good manager in Gary Monk and a huge club like Sunderland). The fact that it is so terrible this year means we still have a chance. If Mavididi comes back the player he was before his injury and we can beat the teams around us (Plymouth, Scunny & Pompey are our cup finals and we're at home for two of those) then 68 points could dislodge 'nothing special' teams like Scunny or Plymouth currently occupying the play offs.
  • Options
    Rob said:

Decided not to go. Glad I did. Back to California tomorrow. We are utter tripe.

Just leave us Douche and Mr Scouser.

And to think I arranged a business trip in order to get back FROM California in time to watch that turgid display. I think @Rob had the better plan
  • Options
    What Holmes gave us was not a solution to the system in itself - Magennis was still isolated too often for instance when he was playing. But with a decent level of consistency, he could bang one in from 25 yards out- out of the blue -which you can't do too much about defensively. Take that out of the team and if you get defensive bodies in the box when we are attacking that will usually do the job. As others have remarked, our attacks are far too slow and it gives opponents time to set themselves.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

In their heyday,Brian Clough and Peter Taylor would either put on disguises and stand in the crowd or send out scouts to do the same.Reason being they had the greatest respect for the knowledge of the paying supporters,who in their opinion often saw things that they did not.I would suggest that a hell of a lot of the supporters of cafc have played and watched football at various levels long before KR was even born.It is so obvious that the system is wrong,and although we supporters dont have the experience of pro football,the basics remain the same.On websites etc.,the subscribers continually point out the futility of our system,surely a manager would look at these comments,and maybe just maybe,say to himself,these people may have a point.(Cloughy would have)

It seems a bit arrogant to say it but you are right. Somebody who with thought, has been watching football for say 30 or 40 years or even more. You are going to pick things up in that time, from a different angle, and you could well have an advantage over professionals like Robinson when it comes to identifying issues. It is actually arrogance in the game to think that somebody with decades of experience in watching games can't read and spot issues, Maybe these fans are always going to be less qualified to provide solutions, but ideas and suggestions should always be given worth. It doesn't mean supporters are always right, but they can be sometimes right and it is healthy for a manager to listen and challenge himself against certain points.

I am not looking for Robinson to adopt a system that I or somebody who is even more knowledgable, like Grapevine, might put forward. But, I am looking for him to spot issues when they become apparent and do something about them. Actually I wouldn't even go that far - it is fairer to expect him to TRY to do something about them. There are limitations and our badly run club provides more obstacles and limitations than most. But if it doesn't work - try something else. Does Robinson not notice how isolated Magennis has been virtually all season? Does he not notice how simple a plan is needed to frustrate us?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CatAddick said:

Rob said:

Decided not to go. Glad I did. Back to California tomorrow. We are utter tripe.

Just leave us Douche and Mr Scouser.

And to think I arranged a business trip in order to get back FROM California in time to watch that turgid display. I think @Rob had the better plan
    You cannot like California that much mate.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    It's really simple. Our form over the last 21 matches puts us 1 place above the relegation spots.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:league-one/form/matches:21/type:home-and-away/

Change it to 10 games and we're in the bottom half, 5 we drop to 19th. It's poor however you look at it, other than the first few months of the season.

Isn't it time to try something different for at least 2/3 games? What have we got to lose? We can't drop out the play-offs and we almost have enough points to say we definitely won't get relegated.

Even if 4-2-3-1 is your preferred system, isn't it time to gamble on something else and see how it plays out?

If not that, can we at least play at a high tempo, take fewer touches, go direct more often, pass into space more often, press teams harder?

That was how Luzon went on that initial run when he came in. Instead of Peeters slow cautious 4-4-2 we played faster, went more direct (but not out and out long ball), pressed harder and played with more energy. It was still 4-4-2 but we played it in a very different way.

Such a slow build up won't get the best out of this team. Possession doesn't win you points. We mostly play one way so teams know they can either press us and spoil that build up, or sit back in numbers and crowd us out. Both seem to work quite well, while we tend to need moments of individual brilliance to score. No team can rely on that so much to win promotion.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

It's really simple. Our form over the last 21 matches puts us 1 place above the relegation spots.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:league-one/form/matches:21/type:home-and-away/

Change it to 10 games and we're in the bottom half, 5 we drop to 19th. It's poor however you look at it, other than the first few months of the season.

Isn't it time to try something different for at least 2/3 games? What have we got to lose? We can't drop out the play-offs and we almost have enough points to say we definitely won't get relegated.

Even if 4-2-3-1 is your preferred system, isn't it time to gamble on something else and see how it plays out?

If not that, can we at least play at a high tempo, take fewer touches, go direct more often, pass into space more often, press teams harder?

That was how Luzon went on that initial run when he came in. Instead of Peeters slow cautious 4-4-2 we played faster, went more direct (but not out and out long ball), pressed harder and played with more energy. It was still 4-4-2 but we played it in a very different way.

Such a slow build up won't get the best out of this team. Possession doesn't win you points. We mostly play one way so teams know they can either press us and spoil that build up, or sit back in numbers and crowd us out. Both seem to work quite well, while we tend to need moments of individual brilliance to score. No team can rely on that so much to win promotion.

We tried 442 yesterday for 33 mins yesterday. It was a marked improvement.
    Will we try it next week as a starting formation?
    I doubt it very much.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

How crap is this league?

We're still only 5 points (plus GD) from a play-off spot despite a seriously poor run - 18 points from 19 matches.

Yep, almost half a season of what would normally be relegation form and we're on the fringes of the play-offs. Unbelievable, Jeff.

Today was as dire as it's been for some time. The players played with no confidence - no-one was prepared to take responsibility and have a shot, too often they preferred to pass it to someone else, not necessarily in a better position.

Once again we were far too slow going forward which allowed Fleetwood plenty of time for everyone to get back to defend. When Fleetwood counter-attacked they did it quickly and directly and almost profited from it; they didn't worry about holding up the ball on the edge of the box to boost their possession stats.

The only reason Professor Waffle is still in his job is because the club is operating in a vacuum. There's no leadership at the top, no-one to pull the trigger and put this donkey out of our misery.

They had loads of shots. The problem was that they didn’t go in the right direction. Shooting isn’t something we’ve been good at since Ricky left.
    Exactly Karl stop wasting all your time practising corners and start practising shooting!
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Yesterday was dreadful, not one shot of any note to test their keeper. If it was not for Amos and a bad miss by their number 9, then another defeat would have occurred. The crowd like the players have had enough. I stayed around at the end to see what reaction they would get but the majority of the crowd just walked out. There must have been only been around 200 left venting their frustration.

Discussed this after the game but with the amount of home fans in there yesterday who could have just filled the Lower West and opened the lower Covered End for any overflow. Never seen it that bad since we returned to the Valley. To give an attendance of 9865 is laughable when there must have been no more than 4/5k in the ground.

Plymouth have sold around 2 thousand tickets for next week, so there will be noise, but coming from the away end.

Season is over now.

Obviously clubs have to publish number of tickets sold rather people physically in the ground for tax purposes. But it would be good if they could (with the technologies around) also publish the number of people phydically in the ground.

Yeah it certainly looked a little less than 9k. Probably about 5k.
  • Options

shirty5 said:

Yesterday was dreadful, not one shot of any note to test their keeper. If it was not for Amos and a bad miss by their number 9, then another defeat would have occurred. The crowd like the players have had enough. I stayed around at the end to see what reaction they would get but the majority of the crowd just walked out. There must have been only been around 200 left venting their frustration.

Discussed this after the game but with the amount of home fans in there yesterday who could have just filled the Lower West and opened the lower Covered End for any overflow. Never seen it that bad since we returned to the Valley. To give an attendance of 9865 is laughable when there must have been no more than 4/5k in the ground.

Plymouth have sold around 2 thousand tickets for next week, so there will be noise, but coming from the away end.

Season is over now.

Obviously clubs have to publish number of tickets sold rather people physically in the ground for tax purposes. But it would be good if they could (with the technologies around) also publish the number of people phydically in the ground.

Number of tickets issued , so sold and comps ....
  • Options

shirty5 said:

Season is over now.

All clubs have a breakdown readily available.

If the figures of about 5000 in attendance yesterday are correct, it is alarming(but not surprising) the amount of season ticket holders not going and people given complimentaries who cannot be bothered to go.

Unless we get off to a flyer with the new owners it could take many years before we can regularly get gates near to the 20k mark.

We have lost THOUSANDS of supporters under these clowns.
  • Options

shirty5 said:

Season is over now.

If the figures of about 5000 in attendance yesterday are correct, it is alarming(but not surprising) the amount of season ticket holders not going and people given complimentaries who cannot be bothered to go.

Unless we get off to a flyer with the new owners it could take many years before we can regularly get gates near to the 20k mark.

The football under KR is almost unwatchable and I dread to think what our crowds will be next season if he's still in charge.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

shirty5 said:

Season is over now.

I still go but it takes less to stop me! I think that sums up yesterday - we had an off form team and poor weather. The damage Duchatelet has done can be seen clearly. You can blame those that didn't go and don't go, if you want to completely miss the point I suppose.

The owner doesn't care and has never cared, the fans are treated with contempt, the manager doesn't care about anybody bar himself and the players or at least a significant number of them are the same. Why should we make the effort? And why should it be an effort?
  • Options

shirty5 said:

Season is over now.

The football under KR is almost unwatchable and I dread to think what our crowds will be next season if he's still in charge.
    The same as this I imagine. The fans remaining I think will go regardless, short of a disasterous season with Duchatelet still in charge and us in the bottom four throughout the season.

Even if a boycott is called of buying season tickets I cannot see the 'bums on seats' figure going much below 5000.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Missed It said:

Only just thawed out.

At the beginning of the season I thought we'd be in a relegation scrap. If it weren't for the good start, that's where we'd be right now because that collection of individuals in red shirts looked nailed on to get relegated the way they were playing.

If there were 5,000 people in the ground I'd be amazed. So we're right back at Upton Park level attendances. 25 years hard work flushed down the shitter in no time at all.

More than 5k but less than 6k.
  • Options

Missed It said:

Only just thawed out.

At the beginning of the season I thought we'd be in a relegation scrap. If it weren't for the good start, that's where we'd be right now because that collection of individuals in red shirts looked nailed on to get relegated the way they were playing.

If there were 5,000 people in the ground I'd be amazed. So we're right back at Upton Park level attendances. 25 years hard work flushed down the shitter in no time at all.

Colour me amazed... and depressed.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

How crap is this league?

We're still only 5 points (plus GD) from a play-off spot despite a seriously poor run - 18 points from 19 matches.

Yep, almost half a season of what would normally be relegation form and we're on the fringes of the play-offs. Unbelievable, Jeff.

Today was as dire as it's been for some time. The players played with no confidence - no-one was prepared to take responsibility and have a shot, too often they preferred to pass it to someone else, not necessarily in a better position.

Once again we were far too slow going forward which allowed Fleetwood plenty of time for everyone to get back to defend. When Fleetwood counter-attacked they did it quickly and directly and almost profited from it; they didn't worry about holding up the ball on the edge of the box to boost their possession stats.

The only reason Professor Waffle is still in his job is because the club is operating in a vacuum. There's no leadership at the top, no-one to pull the trigger and put this donkey out of our misery.

They had loads of shots. The problem was that they didn’t go in the right direction. Shooting isn’t something we’ve been good at since Ricky left.
    Exactly Karl stop wasting all your time practising corners and start practising shooting!
    These guys have been playing football for years and years. If they can’t shoot now I fear it’s too late. Buy better players.
  • Options
    There were extenuating circumstances yesterday - awful weather, the risk of Southeastern trains screwing up in the snow (which to be fair they didn't) and the England Ireland rugby on TV

It will be interesting what the home attendance is next Saturday
  • Options
    edited March 2018

shirty5 said:

Season is over now.

The football under Slade was even more unwatchable. We’re not very good.
    Under a great manager these players might do a bit better, but you’re not going to turn the team into a Wigan, who look better than us in all areas.
    Sorry to be so negative. Perhaps a new manager bounce might help, and it’s possuble Oxford might help us with that on Tuesday.
  • Options

Missed It said:

Only just thawed out.

Airman, do you have some insider info on this, or is that your estimate from seeing the crowd?
  • Options

Missed It said:

Only just thawed out.

Despite the emptiness, through mainly Red White and Black day there was a fair few hundred freebies in attendance. Strip out the freebies through the Trust, Greenwich Uni, Staff etc, I dread to think how few paying customers we actually have attending games. Yesterday was probably half what we returned to The Valley in 92 with.

We are now getting Selhurst Park / Upton Park turnouts
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

How crap is this league?

I saw no evidence that they actually practice corners. Fosu's were so bad it was unbelievable. There's absolutely no excuse for a professional footballer to lack the basic technical skill to kick a ball with moderate accuracy over 25 yards.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

shirty5 said:

Season is over now.

The football under Slade was even more unwatchable. We’re not very good.
    Under a great manager these players might do a bit better, but you’re not going to turn the team into a Wigan, who look better than us in all areas.
    Sorry to be so negative. Perhaps a new manager bounce might help, and it’s possuble Oxford might help us with that on Tuesday.
    Why might Oxford help us with that on Tuesday ,James Seed.