Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 0 Fleetwood 0 - Post Match Thoughts

Comments

• Options
    I know there were only 15 people in the crowd but did any of the other 14 think Ajose was on side. He started behind the full back and out paced him?
  • Options

I know there were only 15 people in the crowd but did any of the other 14 think Ajose was on side. He started behind the full back and out paced him?

My initial reaction was onside, but I wasn't side on to know for sure.
  • Options

Not sure, but he knew he'd been flagged offside I think. Not sure he would have been so cool with the finish if he hadn't.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Not sure, but he knew he'd been flagged offside I think. Not sure he would have been so cool with the finish if he hadn't.
    Yes it was a cute finish, but the keeper had stopped anyway

I've no idea whether he was onside or not
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

With twenty minutes to go defensively strong ought to go out the window when you need 3 points!

We did that against Oxford, 2-1 up in the 88th minute.

Defensively strong did go out of the window! :smile:

No we didn't - but the point is you need 3 points so you take risks. So yes, courage involves risk - some have it and some don't! Against a team like Fleetwood it is a calculated risk.
  • Options
    Very poor.
    The only slight thing was that I thought Zyro and Ajose should enough together to deserve a start together as a pair next week. I suspect most people there agreed. Almost everyone it seems except Robbo who has already written off the idea. Even if he does double track and play it, it hardly fills the confidence when he says this sort of thing does it. He's just waiting for his payoff now.
  • Options
    I think Ajose and Magennis could work with Zyro (prefer Mav though) and Fosu playing wide - at home against poorer teams that is.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5aad5f95182dd/robinson-on-a-lack-of-cutting-edge-in-a-0-0-draw-with-fleetwood-town

On formation

"I thought Nicky and Michal looked good as a two up front. We played two systems today and got the same outcome. We went to 4-4-2 and it was the same."

Maybe try starting games that way and give it longer than 30 minutes Karl.

Soon after going to 442, he then took off Marshall, a conventional winger who's strength is getting crosses into the box, maybe Ajose could have got on the end of one...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pretty dire stuff that matched the snow drizzle.
  • Options
    Trying to be objective: frustrating game in dire weather not actually a terrible result - I think we're unbeaten so far in all 10 games against the bottom 6 sides, which is what a team aiming at promotion would expect.

Our trouble is dropping points everywhere else. Walsall (a) + Oxford U (a) + Blackpool (h) + Oxford U (h) + Doncaster R (a) + Blackpool (a) all come to mind. We really should have had an additional 11 points from those fixtures alone. (And I'm not even mentioning both Gillingham matches). Had Robinson been able to gather those we would be in a comfortable play-off spot. But....I've seen enough of his set up and style to conclude (for some months) that he isn't up to doing that.

As for the team we put out on the day I thought Amos was OK, Sarr had a good match, Pearce and Bauer both OK, Konsa v. average (does anyone really think him worth £8m?) + we looked good in midfield but, as usual, couldn't score because we don't have an automatic goal scorer in our squad. At best Magennis is a supporting striker. He can't carry the line by himself. In so far as they had a chance I thought the Zyro + Ajose partnership looked quite positive.

Looks like the new owner will happen - at some point. We need a new manager, but, not convinced about new players across the board. A new manager might get more out of this lot.
  • Options

I think Ajose and Magennis could work with Zyro (prefer Mav though) and Fosu playing wide - at home against poorer teams that is.

I though Zyro looked the better target man?
  • Options
    The only time we went forward was after about 30 mins when the small crowd got on the players backs, lasted 5 minutes.
  • Options

My thoughts- Mogodon's great picture in the match thread

Looking at that picture just makes me sad.I didn't bother today after last week.my next game will be Portsmouth...on the piss.
  • Options

Trying to be objective: frustrating game in dire weather not actually a terrible result - I think we're unbeaten so far in all 10 games against the bottom 6 sides, which is what a team aiming at promotion would expect.

Our trouble is dropping points everywhere else. Walsall (a) + Oxford U (a) + Blackpool (h) + Oxford U (h) + Doncaster R (a) + Blackpool (a) all come to mind. We really should have had an additional 11 points from those fixtures alone. (And I'm not even mentioning both Gillingham matches). Had Robinson been able to gather those we would be in a comfortable play-off spot. But....I've seen enough of his set up and style to conclude (for some months) that he isn't up to doing that.

As for the team we put out on the day I thought Amos was OK, Sarr had a good match, Pearce and Bauer both OK, Konsa v. average (does anyone really think him worth £8m?) + we looked good in midfield but, as usual, couldn't score because we don't have an automatic goal scorer in our squad. At best Magennis is a supporting striker. He can't carry the line by himself. In so far as they had a chance I thought the Zyro + Ajose partnership looked quite positive.

Looks like the new owner will happen - at some point. We need a new manager, but, not convinced about new players across the board. A new manager might get more out of this lot.

Sorry but you are not being objective comparing us with 10 games unbeaten against bottom sides.

The reality is we are a bottom 6 side (on form)

We are 19th in the league last 6 games.

Fleetwood??

23rd....

Spin it how you wish, we are just not very good.
  • Options
    i really think its time for jacko to be given a go - everyone is bored to death of the predictability of it all now - go 442 and give jfc and magennis a rest - nothing to lose - this 4231 crap is going nowhere
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:

i really think its time for jacko to be given a go - everyone is bored to death of the predictability of it all now - go 442 and give jfc and magennis a rest - nothing to lose - this 4231 crap is going nowhere

Played 442 in the second half. Would Jacko want it? I doubt it.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

DOUCHER said:

Played 442 in the second half. Would Jacko want it? I doubt it.
    don't know but why not? great experience, rd on his way out - a chance to give this season one last go, get fans on side - seems a no brainer to me
  • Options
    we were more of a threat second half that's for sure
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    DOUCHER said:

I think our game plan consists of start fast and try and get a goal in the first ten mins of a half. If that doesn’t happen our energy level and attacking intent drops and the other team plays their way into the half.
  • Options

DOUCHER said:

I think our game plan consists of start fast and try and get a goal in the first ten mins of a half. If that doesn’t happen our energy level and attacking intent drops Andy the other team plays their way into the half.
    agreed but we never do score early on. the only difference to the normal pattern today was that the oppo didn't score late on. mavidivi coming back is our only chance - that and dropping magennis and jfc and playing zyro, ajose and i thought kalkai put his body onm the line today and just needs a break. fosu and mavidivi r mustard and if fit and we get the rest right, there is a chance this season. bauer is key as well.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

If I was Jacko I'd run a mile if asked to manage this sorry lot.
  • Options
    Be lucky if we see another win this season