Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2021
    stonemuse said:
    Posted on Twitter by @1dev - 1936. Does anyone know what the building above the East Terrace was?

brilliant ... completely new pic for me ... but not convinced it is the Valley
    Iv been going since early 60s and don’t recognise that building. Also the East terrace connection to the South looks wrong. No evidence of the Sam Bartram entrance… ?Not convinced it’s Charlton.  One for the Museum team to answer…. ? 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Posted on Twitter by @1dev - 1936. Does anyone know what the building above the East Terrace was?

Seen pictures with that structure from the 30s
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Steve Bridge postcard, currently on eBay. Man Utd away in the cup.
    Looks like Ian and Ronnie Whitehead in there. They used to love in Harvey Gardens
    Not a problem these days.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Steve Bridge postcard, currently on eBay. Man Utd away in the cup.
    Looks like Ian and Ronnie Whitehead in there. They used to love in Harvey Gardens
    Not a problem these days.
    Lol I see it, but couldn't be bothered to change it

Anyone else notice autocorrect has taken on a mind of its own in the last few months. Sure I'm making, and seeing, a lot more mistakes recently 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Acab said:
    Definitely 100% the valley.
    Then what are the buildings? 
    Am certain nobody had a terrace along the side like this.  Reportedly a 45k capacity.  This has to be The Valley.
  • Options
    I seem to remember that the scoreboard had a 'Worthington' ad written on it.

Can't see it in the picture, so maybe that came later. 
  • Options
    Could be v’s Villa in the cup, the record attendance match? Definitely the Valley 
  • Options
    This photo also did the rounds on FB as Highbury lol
  • Options
    kentred2 said:
    kentred2 said:
    stonemuse said:

Great, helps clarify it’s definitely the Valley
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    kentred2 said:
    kentred2 said:
    stonemuse said:

Great, helps clarify it’s definitely the Valley 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Dave Rudd said:
    I seem to remember that the scoreboard had a 'Worthington' ad written on it.

Can't see it in the picture, so maybe that came later. 
    I thought that was at the other end of the East terrace ?   Edit  = just checked old Charlton photos and indeed it was at the corner of Covered End and East Terrace  (North/Curbs). Looks like there was a second at top too.
  • Options
    Well there was a scoreboard when I first went to the Valley in Feb 1952, but don't remember it being that size. Half times were put pitch side south terrace. Not sure any of this helps
  • Options
    I'm guessing the person that colourised the photo got the scoreboard wrong and thought it was a house?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I first went to the valley August 65. The half time scoreboard was there then. The big Worthington sign was at the back of the south end behind where the police box is now. I can remember advertising for forthcoming away games particularly Boro
    coach 18/6p (85p).

• Options

• Options
    Acab said:

Is this the one where Kinsey fell off the floodlight pylon?  ;)
  • Options
    Odd way to head the ball😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:
    stonemuse said:
    Acab said:
    Definitely 100% the valley.
    Then what are the buildings? 
    There were a few bombs dropped in the locality 4/5 years later. I suspect not every building withstood the might of the Luftwaffe.
    It is definitely the Valley. The "building" is a half-time scoreboard. It was black and white and was probably coloured wrongly as Friend Or Defoe suggested. Isawlearyplay as well and was my first boyhood hero. Yann took over from him 60? years later.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Still there in the late 1960's ... and the Worthington sign explained.

another great pic I've never seen before.

If anyone ever fancies self publishing a coffee table style book (think big Taschen type) of various pictures of The Valley through the years I'd buy!
    We had some fun a few years ago trying to work out which game it was. I'll try to find the thread.

• Options
    edited December 2021

Sep 2013 New Article: Living in Charlton Village in the 1950s/60s. This photo was just part of longish thread.
  • Options
    Acab said:
    I first went to the valley August 65. The half time scoreboard was there then. The big Worthington sign was at the back of the south end behind where the police box is now. I can remember advertising for forthcoming away games particularly Boro
    coach 18/6p (85p).

92.5p, but who’s counting?
  • Options
    Acab said:

He taught Zaha everything he needed to know about diving.
  • Options
    Found my photos from the back to the valley game this afternoon (clearing out the garage held more appeal than watching the game).

Jim Rosenthal took this after the game, I don’t look happy but was off my tits by then.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Think this was in The Oak after the game