Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Options
    Those Carlisle pictures aren’t ‘81, that’s the ‘86 promotion
  • Options
    milo said:

Those Carlisle pictures aren’t ‘81, that’s the ‘86 promotion

Doh! Of course it was. Changed now ta.
  • Options

This is probably one of my oldest photos. I wandered down to Sparrows lane and Andy Nelson let me take photos. Not so sure that he was too happy with this one as he was having what seemed an intense chat here.

Anyone able to identify the player?

Did we own/use sparrows lane in his day?
  • Options
    DA9 said:

This is probably one of my oldest photos. I wandered down to Sparrows lane and Andy Nelson let me take photos. Not so sure that he was too happy with this one as he was having what seemed an intense chat here.

My memory is poor but this is sparrows lane and on the back of the photo I wrote that it was Unilever Sportsground.

The conversation looked to be intense and Jeff wood moved on shortly after this photo. I had a 500mm lens so just about got away with getting this close.
  • Options

DA9 said:

My memory is poor but this is sparrows lane and on the back of the photo I wrote that it was Unilever Sportsground.

The conversation looked to be intense and Jeff wood moved on shortly after this photo. I had a 500mm lens so just about got away with getting this close.
    A friend of mine used to play Sunday football there in mid to late 80’s, seem to remember going to an end of season do there, don’t remember it being exclusive to Charlton
  • Options
    DA9 said:

DA9 said:

A friend of mine used to play Sunday football there in mid to late 80’s, seem to remember going to an end of season do there, don’t remember it being exclusive to Charlton
    When the board made it clear that we were heading back to Greenwich, the first move was to announce a presence in the Borough by buying Sparrows Lane. I am sure that @Airman Brown could say for sure, but I guess that we trained elsewhere for a while when we were at Selhurst.
  • Options
    Think it might have been the Valley Leisure Centre down the dirt track that Metrogas is now on down Avery Hill Rd. had a clubhouse run by a Scottish bloke called Jock
  • Options
    I think it is almost certainly Wood - definitely not Flanagan -too skinny!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think it is almost certainly Wood - definitely not Flanagan -too skinny!

Tutt?
  • Options
    Nelson looks remarkably like Mick McCarthy.
  • Options

Think it might have been the Valley Leisure Centre down the dirt track that Metrogas is now on down Avery Hill Rd. had a clubhouse run by a Scottish bloke called Jock

My mate (Macca) and brother both played there as well, Kenny Sansoms brother, Dave I think he was called also in the same team.
  • Options

Often my grandad would come down to the club shop during the week and Andy Nelson would serve him.

Wow, that's incredible. Don't say it too loud or you'll give someone ideas. Then again, from what I've been reading lately, perhaps KR is more suited to a career in retail.
  • Options

Nelson looks remarkably like Mick McCarthy.

I was thinking more George Graham.
    Good shout.
  • Options

Do you think Jock was his real name?
  • Options
    DA9 said:

My mate (Macca) and brother both played there as well, Kenny Sansoms brother, Dave I think he was called also in the same team.
    Dave Sansom was the manager of a Sunday side I played for.

We also used to hire the AstroTurf pitch up there fairly regularly (or sneak on it if no one was using it)
  • Options

Blimey O’Reilly jock!
    He facilitated some horrifically brutal late drinks back in the day.
    Think he took over coldharbour after he left valley leisure.
  • Options

I went to the press announcement of the appointment of Mike Bailey ad missed the photo call. The gent that he is agreed to pose just for me.

On the pitch at Carlisle post match 1986

On the terracing Carlisle 1986. Cant recall if the final whistle had gone at this point, not sure if that is down to the irradiated rain that we were subject to from Chernobyl or the huge amount of alcohol consumed.

Valley Party leafleting at Mottingham Station returning commuters.

John West (no, not that one) and Roger Carter in that last one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Blimey O’Reilly jock!
    via the butterfly club I believe
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Do you think Jock was his real name?
    No it was Malcolm and he ran the Man of Kent team in the 80s.
  • Options

Blimey O’Reilly jock!
    He certainly did.
  • Options
    Forest away - 2000.
  • Options
    v Liverpool. 2001
  • Options
    at Newcastle - 1990.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

at Newcastle - 1990.

Mark Mansfield, Derek woolley and a very young and a very drunk Ben tegg. One on that plane was about to take over the PA mike at the airport giving a good rendition of VFR or similar☺. Well I thought it was funny.

I've got some of the same adventure somewhere and will post when I find them.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

v Liverpool. 2001

@Algarveaddick i actually think that is me with my back to you (facing @3blokes) in the first Liverpool one
  • Options
    edited March 2018
  • Options

Fair point