Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Russians at it again

Policeman dead after Spartak Moscow riot in Bilbao

Comments

• Be a £20000 fine
  • Match still got played.
  • edited February 2018
    if This was English fans fifa/eufa would be coming down on us like a toon of bricks.

RIP the officer

if This was English fans fifa/eufa would be coming down on us like a toon of bricks.

RIP the office

Random. Bloody great show though.

• Different sides to the story yet to emerge. Seems the officer died of heart failure. Also spartak maybe not the main aggressors throughout.
    Meanwhile I am trying to work out what formation the police are using or is it still lash out at the slowest moving person in reach. A few videos here
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/amp.diariodeibiza.es/deportes/2018/02/22/altercados-bilbao-provocados-ultras-spartak/971645.html
  • Stop the world cup now people will be killed out there off your head if anyone goes old or young.mugged beaten or killed stay away.
  • edited February 2018
    Russians will almost inevitably get the blame but from what i've read it seems Bilbao fans started the trouble and the officer had a heart attack so that could've happened v anyone.

Worth noting that there was no trouble when Bilbao went to Moscow, and no trouble at CSKA v Red Star Belgrade this week. Also as far as i'm aware there was no trouble when both Man U and Liverpool went to Moscow earlier in the season.
  • Spanish policing tactics are v similar to many other countries, turn up in robocop gear and get baton heavy.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2018
    Dreading what’s going to happen At the World Cup this summer, it’s going to be a World Cup Of fighting.
  • As what @Chris_from_Sidcup states at the euros a lot of the blame was put on England fans, which wasn’t the case, the locals and Russians started and England fans fought back.
  • Spanish policing tactics are v similar to many other countries, turn up in robocop gear and get baton heavy.

The officer concerned was a member of the Basque police force
  • edited February 2018

Spanish policing tactics are v similar to many other countries, turn up in robocop gear and get baton heavy.

The officer concerned was a member of the Basque police force
    every news outlet reporting it as "spanish" police officer.

would imagine v similar policing tactics, not saying the Russians and Spanish fans aren't animals, but the police brutality towards people is sometimes a bit too far. either way an officer has died in what was his job so condolences to his family and loved ones.
  • They want banning / banging up for crimes against fashion.

Bum bags?
  • Caught last night's incidents on Spanish TV this morning. While they mad the most of the Russians' horrible and deserved reputaion, the impression I got was that it went off around the stadium because both side's had fans who were up for it. To add to that, the Russians had already started early by beating up some Alaves fans in Vitoria the day before, but while the press here this morning were happy to announce there 'were five arrests, three of whom were Russians,', that does leave a suspicion taht the other two were Basque.
    Sod it, I'll watch the World cup from my armchair - I wouldn't touch this one with a barge pole.
  • Russians will almost inevitably get the blame but from what i've read it seems Bilbao fans started the trouble and the officer had a heart attack so that could've happened v anyone

Worth noting that there was no trouble when Bilbao went to Moscow, and no trouble at CSKA v Red Star Belgrade this week. Also as far as i'm aware there was no trouble when both Man U and Liverpool went to Moscow earlier in the season.

From what i read last night it said that the officer got hit on the head severely which caused a heart attack (don't know if true or not).
  • Sponsored links:

• Might just be me being naive, but dont see it kicking off in the summer as bad as people make out.

Im sure if you go looking for trouble then you'll find it, but there wont be state sponsored mobs being sent out like in France.

Can see the Russian authorities being very strict and wanting to make sure their World Cup doesn't turn into an embarrassment.

will go one way or the other, i can see the authorities rounding up any hooligans and putting them inside for 2 months.
  • edited February 2018
    LuckyReds said:

I was chatting to a Russian girl recently, and we ended up discussing the lengths that the Russian Government are going to, all to try and lure get football fans to attend the World Cup.

I was a bit incredulous during the conversation, as it occured to me that it's quite a f*cked up situation when you need to "sweeten the deal" to get football fans to attend the world's greatest football competition..!

One example she noted was the "Fan ID" malarkey for instance; to avoid bureaucracy and visa requirements during the world cup period.

I mentioned I'd nearly gone to Moscow a few times over the past few years, it's on my to-do list, but it's all a bit "now or never" - and there were a few worrying stories I've heard about the visa process.

She went as far as to encourage me to go the Fan ID route, get tickets for games that happen to be located near where I'd like to visit, and make the most of the perks.

Although she has quite a proud view of her home, and she's quick to point out the usual media bollocks, she's certainly far from nationalistic. After chatting with her I came to the conclusion that Russia has a lot riding on the World Cup - both in reputational and monetary terms.

It's still a completely idiotic location though, and I can't help but think the 2016 issues were a state-sanctioned warning to the football community in general. I don't think fans will be safe from anything - be it official corruption, violence, or petty crime. Football fans are largely going to be a tasty little treat for all forms of crime to thrive upon IMO.

I wish I was stunned that it's going to happen, but then again - this was awarded by the same corrupt group of money-grabbing bastards who thought Qatar was a valid location.

Football? It's not really about fans at any level now is it?

couple of questions, did you shag her and have you got photos?
  • An absolute throwback of a country and people, meeting a Russian is like time travel back to the 1970's, I've experienced Russians on holiday in Europe quite a few times and every one of them are total classless neanderthals.
    Hosting the WC there just shows the contempt that FIFA has for football and its fans.
  • Greenie said:

An absolute throwback of a country and people, meeting a Russian is like time travel back to the 1970's, I've experienced Russians on holiday in Europe quite a few times and every one of them are total classless neanderthals.
    Hosting the WC there just shows the contempt that FIFA has for football and its fans.

I've met quite a few Brits on holiday that fit that description too.
    Beat me to it :smiley:
  • anyone on netflix, check out reggie yates docuseries;

1 is on Russian right wing - pretty scary make the edl look like the girl guides
    another is on Russian homosexuals again make ian paisleys rants on sodomy look like poetry.

its not just 1 or 2 there's a lot of them that will kill for there cause and its a pretty scary place.
  • Anyone going to Russia for the World Cup needs their head examined.

I can imagine some wannabe's going out there and getting into some real trouble.

I'm going, where do I go to get examined?
  • anyone on netflix, check out reggie yates docuseries;

1 is on Russian right wing - pretty scary make the edl look like the girl guides
    another is on Russian homosexuals again make ian paisleys rants on sodomy look like poetry.

its not just 1 or 2 there's a lot of them that will kill for there cause and its a pretty scary place.

Saw these - all looked a bit scary.
  • Might just be me being naive, but dont see it kicking off in the summer as bad as people make out.

Im sure if you go looking for trouble then you'll find it, but there wont be state sponsored mobs being sent out like in France.

Can see the Russian authorities being very strict and wanting to make sure their World Cup doesn't turn into an embarrassment.

This is the way I see it too. There's a genuine chance people will get a glimpse of the real Russia with that much press at the world cup - no chance will Putin risk that, the whole event will be a stage managed spectacle.

Apparently flights and hotels are still pretty reasonable, so anyone going may get more of a bargain than they thought.