Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tight fisted gits

123457»

Comments

• Options
    I worked with a guy that had been left a couple of houses when various relations had passed, and was worth a minimum of £1 mil, cried like a "baby" because his Plough mans roll was 20p dearer with mayo than salad cream.
    He drop 50p down his window of his car when exiting the Glades car park and spent 40mins stripping his drivers door down to retrieve it. His name was.......
  • Options
    I worked with a guy that had been left a couple of houses when various relations had passed, and was worth a minimum of £1 mil, cried like a "baby" because his Plough mans roll was 20p dearer with mayo than salad cream.
    He drop 50p down his window of his car when exiting the Glades car park and spent 40mins stripping his drivers door down to retrieve it. His name was.......
    Roland?
  • Options
    I used to work on the door of a fun pub here in Spain. The job involved getting people to come in. Near the end of the season a British family came by, so I did my spiel  and held the door open. The father came up and asked how much for a pint. When I said 2 euros  he laughed, named a pub a mile away and said he could get a pint for 1.99 there  and waited for me to drop the price.
    So I smiled,  wished them a nice hike  and went in for a beer. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Quite a few years ago I got a call from a mate who lived in Chatham saying he was bored and did I fancy meeting him down there for a beer ? (I lived in Eltham at the time). I checked the trains and there was engineering works so I declined. 
    He kept going on about how bored he was and asked if I could get a cab down there? 
    I relented and booked a cab (which would have been about £50 at the time) to take me straight to his local. 
    When I arrived I walked into the pub where he immediately asked me if he could borrow £20 so he could buy some beers cos he was skint. 
    Needless to say I was less than impressed but was so stunned that I couldn’t bring myself to say anything. 
    Rest assured I have mentioned it since though when out with him in company 😄
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Quite a few years ago I got a call from a mate who lived in Chatham saying he was bored and did I fancy meeting him down there for a beer ? (I lived in Eltham at the time). I checked the trains and there was engineering works so I declined. 
    He kept going on about how bored he was and asked if I could get a cab down there? 
    I relented and booked a cab (which would have been about £50 at the time) to take me straight to his local. 
    When I arrived I walked into the pub where he immediately asked me if he could borrow £20 so he could buy some beers cos he was skint. 
    Needless to say I was less than impressed but was so stunned that I couldn’t bring myself to say anything. 
    It was funnier when you told it on page 1
    The cab was cheaper too.
  • Options
    I always buy the first round, that is important.
  • Options
    Pain in the arse when you go for a meal with a big group. You just know it's going to kick off at the end. So and so didnt have a starter, but I only drunk tap water. Then you get about 8 debit cards coming out with the waiter taking 8 separate payments 🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    Ross said:
    It was funnier when you told it on page 1
    Doh. I did tell you that I’d mentioned it since 😄
  • Options
    That annoys the shit out of me, I could kind of understand it when we were all younger and some of us were always working when others weren't, or at university (granted that wasn't many of my friends then) and be out to have someone announce "I've only got a score on me" which is just a passive way of saying "I won't be buying any rounds, paying for any cabs, will be a financial burden on you all but I'll come out still and get shitty if anyone challenges how often I do this" 

It got to the point with one of my mates I had to start keeping a tab of how many scores or fifties I lent him as it got in the multiple hundreds and I don't know many people who can just write that off, I'm not that petty to include rounds he didn't buy or cans he never put in for but like someone else said, I'd rather he was out with us but it wasn't like any of us were swimming in money and this one dude was still doing this in his late twenties. 

Now I'm making myself sound like a tight fucker which I definitely am not 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You're not it's just that some people take the piss.
  • Options
    I always buy the first round, that is important.
    Yeah, but you always get to the pub half hour before everyone else. You first round consists of 1 drink….your own. By the time it’s your turn again you turn up with a tray of dregs that you have collected off other people tables. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    That annoys the shit out of me, I could kind of understand it when we were all younger and some of us were always working when others weren't, or at university (granted that wasn't many of my friends then) and be out to have someone announce "I've only got a score on me" which is just a passive way of saying "I won't be buying any rounds, paying for any cabs, will be a financial burden on you all but I'll come out still and get shitty if anyone challenges how often I do this" 

It got to the point with one of my mates I had to start keeping a tab of how many scores or fifties I lent him as it got in the multiple hundreds and I don't know many people who can just write that off, I'm not that petty to include rounds he didn't buy or cans he never put in for but like someone else said, I'd rather he was out with us but it wasn't like any of us were swimming in money and this one dude was still doing this in his late twenties. 

Definitely not being a tight fucker, if it was well into the hundreds then you'd already gone above and beyond.

My only question is why did you let it go on so long without questioning him about it, as clearly he had no intention of paying it back unless pulled up on it?
  • Options
    I can think of a couple of work examples from a long time ago. One was the office tea club where the milk kept going. It turned out that one of the members thought it entitled him to gulp down pints of milk, but he didn't do it whilst anybody saw him. When somebody caught him doing it, his argument was he was a member of the club and should be able to drink what he wanted! 

The other was when I was a union rep and a lady joined the union because she had a problem with her salary. An overpayment that wasn't her fault and would be a hardship for her to pay back. I put a lot of work in supporting her and eventually winning her case, and when she got the outcome she wanted she promptly left the union. 

These things taught me what some people are like.
  • Options
    Carter said:

I’ve found that most of these types are incredibly thick skinned about it. 

One bloke in a regular Friday night bunch was notorious for it - a proper first to the pub but last to the bar merchant. 

One of my mates pulled him in front of the whole group with “What is it you’re saving up for xxxxx? It mustn’t half be fucking good”. Everyone fell about - including xxxxx, who didn’t bat an eyelid. 
  • Options
    Carter said:

Definitely not being a tight fucker, if it was well into the hundreds then you'd already gone above and beyond.

My only question is why did you let it go on so long without questioning him about it, as clearly he had no intention of paying it back unless pulled up on it?
    Yeah fair question 

Me and another bloke did pull him on it away from the group but yeah it was two of us v 1 of him and he somehow ended up making us feel like we were making a mountain out of a molehill, I'm not sure i can project the tone or context correctly but it was in essence a lot of making light of it and saying "fine leave me out of rounds and ill walk instead of getting in a cab with you if it means that much to you" which i think nowadays is called gaslighting but neither of us at the time were intellectually equipped to answer that to "fuck sake lads its only the odd score" which was true but I pointed out to him 5 odd scores is a over oner and when I never see it again its not a loan thats charity which I cant really afford. Then we got the "alright I just won't come out with you anymore if its a deal breaker" and the pair of us pretty much admitted defeat at that point. 

He's shacked up with a girl from money now and we don't see a huge amount of one another but the key point is this bloke has been a mate for a long long time so it was harder that it being a newcomer to the group and ultimately we weren't going to cast him out because he was an unashed ponce 
  • Options
    boggzy said:
    Got a mate called Pete who is one of those blokes that will get bought drinks, then when it comes to his round (after about six drinks) just says nothing, or deflects with "it's yours isn't it, you tight bastard?". Someone else nearly always bails him out. Being tight just seems ingrained in the personalities of people like him. Anyway, out one night in the London Bridge area, he'd bought nothing as usual. It was nearly midnight and we popped in Tesco Express in Borough High Street to buy a few bits and pieces, crap snacks etc as everyone had to head off/go their separate ways. Another mate gathers all the items and says don't worry I'll get this. Suddenly Pete gets his wallet out. In shock I said with complete incredulity "You're not actually gonna buy something this evening are you Pete?! "Fuck that, he can put the points on my Clubcard!"
    You should have grabbed the wallet, taken out the money and said 'just taking some of what you owe us for the next rounds.'

Seriously, when I first arrived in France, hardly anyone bought me a drink back (this was a mixed nationality group). It's just not in the culture in some countries. In the end when I offered to buy drinks I just ignored those who never bought me one. No-one seemed to notice or care and we all stayed friends.