Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2018

Comments

• 106-5 Another for Thomas
  • Great to see Thomas bowling so well - that's 8 wickets so far in this match. He's had his injury problems but, if he can stay fit and bowl like this, he is well worth his place in the side.
  • The lead is up to 150 now.

Leics 125-5
  • edited August 2018
    Off for bad light at Grace Road.

126-5 lead 151.

That could well be it for the day.
  • How much can we chase down....
  • MrOneLung said:

How much can we chase down....

150 :wink:
  • There’s gonna be result. Could be a good thing or a bad thing. Sussex look to be slugging our a draw (unfortunately) :smile:
  • So frustrating when you look at the Kent batting averages

In the Royal London, Kuhn averages 87 and Denly 70, with DBD on 40
    In the CC, Denly averages 36, Kuhn 34 and Dickson 30. DBD averages 20, while Kuhn has no centuries

I don't know why our batting is so much poorer in red ball cricket. What's as shocking is that we have TEN bowlers who average less than 30 with the ball!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/teams/kent/averages
  • There’s gonna be result. Could be a good thing or a bad thing. Sussex look to be slugging our a draw (unfortunately) :smile:

Sussex seem to be the opposite of Kent, I don't know if it's the pitch or the bowlers, but batsmen are piling on the runs in your match.
  • Warks beat Gloucs in less than 2 days, with Gloucs bowled our for 127 and 103. Is Trevor Bayliss moonlighting as their coach?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2018
    My house is on the market and we had a viewing from a South African and his wife; he looked vaguely familiar.

It turned out it was Andrew Hall! I mentioned that I am a Kent supporter but although he was friendly, he offered no views, either positive or negative re Kent CCC.
  • PeterGage said:

My house is on the market and we had a viewing from a South African and his wife; he looked vaguely familiar.

It turned out it was Andrew Hall! I mentioned that I am a Kent supporter but although he was friendly, he offered no views, either positive or negative re Kent CCC.

Yes but you live in Newcastle so why would he :wink:

Sussex seem to be the opposite of Kent, I don't know if it's the pitch or the bowlers, but batsmen are piling on the runs in your match.
    Pitch is made for batsmen. Sussex really needed a result wicket; I can it being a draw.

• It seems to be concussion.

Chappell is being substituted for the rest of the match - meaning an 11th player will come out to bat.

They actually used 12 batsmen. It seems under the new "concussion rule" the player in question is forced to play no further part in the game but "retired hurt" is not counted as a wicket hence the 12 run scorers.
  • It seems to be concussion.

Chappell is being substituted for the rest of the match - meaning an 11th player will come out to bat.

They actually used 12 batsmen. It seems under the new "concussion rule" the player in question is forced to play no further part in the game but "retired hurt" is not counted as a wicket hence the 12 run scorers.
    Can't we claim one of out batsmen is concussed, and borrow Virat Kohli as a replacement!
  • 138-6 an early wicket for Podmore

163 ahead
  • What could we chase? 200 at the very most?

We have players like Denly and Kuhn who can dig in and get big scores. What we don't seem to have is two of them who are capable of doing it at the same time.

We ought to be able to chase 250 (it's only day 3) but I have no confidence that we will

We have players like Denly and Kuhn who can dig in and get big scores. What we don't seem to have is two of them who are capable of doing it in the first innings.
    Corrected, fixed, etc.
  • Sponsored links:

We ought to be able to chase 250 (it's only day 3) but I have no confidence that we will
    Of course, we ought to. The lack of bonus batting points tells me 200 is a tough enough target!
  • 153-7 and a 5th wicket for Thomas (9th in match)

Of course, we ought to. The lack of bonus batting points tells me 200 is a tough enough target!
    I think our second innings totals have been better than our first innings totals, which is the only reason why I'm moderately optimistic
  • 5 for Thomas, 9 in the match. Bit of a breakthrough season for him
  • 5 for Thomas, 9 in the match. Bit of a breakthrough season for him

To be fair to the lad he has had a lot of injuries that he has struggled with.
  • Klein (the batsman who came in for the concussed player) has hit 26 off 15 balls. That really doesn't seem fair given that the same rule wouldn't apply if a batsman broke his arm for example?
  • 189-8

Stevens has finally got Dearden out.

Lead 214

I think our second innings totals have been better than our first innings totals, which is the only reason why I'm moderately optimistic
    Lifting something from earlier in the season (June, during the Middlesex day/nighter):

None of the other day/night matches were anything like ours in the final session. Even when teams were having to start their innings late in the day.

Clearly we bowled well, but conditions must also have been really tough at Canterbury for some reason

Knowing our luck we'll be docked points. :-(
    Nothing out of the ordinary considering Kent's Championship season so far:

Kent v Gloucs - Kent 64 & 153 Gloucs 110 & 108-5 Lost by 5 wickets

Durham v Kent - Durham 91 & 170 Kent 169 & 95-1 Won by 9 wickets

Glamorgan v Kent - Glam 94 & 274 Kent 174 & 195-4 Won by 6 wickets

Kent v Sussex - Kent 215 & 235 Sussex 181 & 211 Won by 58 runs

Gloucs v Kent - Kent 582-9d Gloucs 240 & 322-7(f/o) Drawn

Kent v Warks - Kent 197 & 446-8d Warks 125 & 445 Won by 73 runs

The only outlier was the away game at Gloucestershire when we rattled up almost 600 runs ... and then failed to win the game!

The game plan this years seems to be 'score low first innings, bowl out oppo even lower, win game'.

Working so far ...
    Updated:

Kent v Middlesex - Kent 241 & 281 Middlesex 56 & 124 Won by 342 runs

Kent v Leics - Kent 104 & 199 Leics 229 & 76/0 Lost by 10 wickets

Leics v Kent - Leics 220 & 189/8 * Kent 195 & ???

Conclusion: second innings > first innings.

Prediction Kent win! :smile:
  • Usual problem of getting rid of the tail.

205-8 lead 230.
  • 207-9

Klein out lbw b Denly