Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Rooney Rule

Comments

• Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48555148

The English Football League has made it policy that clubs must interview at least one black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) candidate when searching for a new first-team manager.

The regulation, extending to all first-team vacancies, was introduced at the EFL's annual general meeting on Friday and follows an 18-month pilot.

There are currently just three BAME first-team managers in the EFL.

It hopes the rule will "help address the under-representation" in the game.

"That commitment has now been formalised with the introduction of a new regulation ensuring that the principle of providing more opportunities to BAME candidates is mandatory when clubs consider multiple applicants for a role," said an EFL statement.

The regulation is informally known as the 'Rooney rule', named after the NFL diversity committee chairman Dan Rooney, who spearheaded a policy that clubs in American football should interview at least one BAME candidate for each head coach or senior football operation vacancy.

The EFL said the rule is a "further commitment to improving equality in first-team football".

The sacking of Chris Hughton by Premier League club Brighton & Hove Albion means there are just four BAME managers working in the top four divisions of the English game.

Former England captain Sol Campbell - who has been vocal on the issue in past years - was one of just three working in the EFL.

In his first managerial job, he guided Macclesfield to League Two safety after taking over when the club was five points adrift at the bottom.

Wolves' Nuno Espirito Santo, Northampton's Keith Curle and Stevenage's Dino Maamria are the other three BAME bosses in the Premier League and EFL.

At the EFL AGM, at which Debbie Jevans was appointed executive chair of the league, a regulation outlawing 'spying' was also introduced.

It has been written up following an investigation into Leeds United for watching opponents train before matches, which resulted in a £200,000 fine in February.

Leeds boss Marcelo Bielsa admitted sending a member of staff to watch training sessions of United's opponents after Championship rivals Derby County noticed a man 'acting suspiciously' outside their training ground in January.

The new regulation states: "Without prejudice to the requirements of regulation 3.4 (that each club shall behave towards each other club with the utmost good faith), no club shall directly or indirectly observe (or attempt to observe) another club's training session in the period of 72 hours prior to any match scheduled to be played between those respective clubs."

• Options
    How would have this worked when we announced Lee Bowyer as manager. If the club know who they want in charge do they still need to interview a BAME candidate? 
  • Options
    How would have this worked when we announced Lee Bowyer as manager. If the club know who they want in charge do they still need to interview a BAME candidate? 
    And does said BAME candidate then know that they are only being interviewed to meet a quota and not because they’re in with a shot of the job?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Fantastic news and can only help to improve the quality of all of our coaches in the football league.
  • Options
    Fantastic news and can only help to improve the quality of all of our coaches in the football league.
    How
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    How
    It’s a logical conclusion of having a larger pool of interviewees to choose from.

As previously debunked earlier on in this thread, they won’t be interviewing a BAME candidate at the expense of another white candidate so no-one loses out. It might just surprise a few people that the minority bloke (someone who may have not been previously considered) turns out to be the best option.
  • Options
    Having a larger pool to choose from.?
    This only works if people are excluded from applying in the first place. 
    As far as I'm aware this isn't the case. 
  • Options
    What ever happened to best man for the job...err I mean best person.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does this apply to premier league clubs or just football league?

For example when Klopp or Guardiola eventually leave, who are those 2 clubs going to interview at that level that fits the BAME criteria?
  • Options
    Does this apply to premier league clubs or just football league?

For example when Klopp or Guardiola eventually leave, who are those 2 clubs going to interview at that level that fits the BAME criteria?
    The fact that you (or I) can’t name one probably justifies action being taken.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    How
    It’s a logical conclusion of having a larger pool of interviewees to choose from.

As previously debunked earlier on in this thread, they won’t be interviewing a BAME candidate at the expense of another white candidate so no-one loses out. It might just surprise a few people that the minority bloke (someone who may have not been previously considered) turns out to be the best option.
    What if the clubs included BAME candidates in their pool originally but didn’t think they’re suitable for the interview stage?
  • Options
    Am I normal for looking at a list of potential managers on say the bookies site and not even registering in my mind how many of them are black white or brown?  
  • Options
    Is it not the case that BAME candidates are just not very good? I don't think it's a case of them not getting a chance. I just can't think of a BAME candidate that's currently doing well. Perhaps Patrick Vieira?

Examples off the top of my head are Hasselbaink, Seedorf and Thierry Henry. All great players, all not very good at management. Seedorf got La Coruna relegated, Jimmy was sacked by both QPR and Northampton and Henry was an absolute disaster at Monaco. If any of those 3 did well, they'd get top jobs regardless of their ethnicity. 

I'd say it's likely to be a bigger issue in a country like Brazil. Half the country must be mixed race but i don't think the national side have ever had a manager that isn't white.
  • Options
    Suppose we can get around it each time by just interviewing Jason Euell
  • Options
    Nothing, absolutely nothing. The Rooney Rule doesn’t mean any is given a job based on their ethnicity, just that there has to be a BAME candidate considered/interviewed during the process. I genuinely can’t see why anyone would have an issue with this. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Nothing, absolutely nothing. The Rooney Rule doesn’t mean any is given a job based on their ethnicity, just that there has to be a BAME candidate considered/interviewed during the process. I genuinely can’t see why anyone would have an issue with this. 
    But it seems that some still do.
  • Options
    Am I normal for looking at a list of potential managers on say the bookies site and not even registering in my mind how many of them are black white or brown?  
    Of course that’s normal and no one has suggested otherwise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Of course that’s normal and no one has suggested otherwise.
    There’s a whole lot of social justice types looking at a list like so tho..
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Other than waste time it achieves nothing then.
  • Options
    How

What if the clubs included BAME candidates in their pool originally but didn’t think they’re suitable for the interview stage?
    Can you also answer this please Callum?
  • Options
    Just suppose Bowyer leaves Charlton due to Roland being a prick.
    JJ has gone on record as saying he wants to manage Charlton one day.
    Could we not offer him the job straight away or would we have to interview other people even though the job is going to JJ.
  • Options
    The key here is unconscious bias. 

I heard of large law firm Baker McKenzie, who had applications from BAME candidates that were roughly in proportion to the national demographics (about 15-20%). This number halved at the interview stage and halved again when it came to giving jobs. There was an argument maybe the BAME candidates weren't as good as the white ones, the best person always got the jobs etc... But when they blinded the application stage, the proportion of BAME candidates stayed the same at first stage. When they introduced interview panels that were mixed in terms of ethnicity and also seniority, the proportion of BAME candidates getting jobs was also maintained. Go figure.

Maybe some BAME candidates are missing out, not because of overt racism, but unconscious bias, something we all have
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I completely believe that you think that. 
  • Options
    Just suppose Bowyer leaves Charlton due to Roland being a prick.
    JJ has gone on record as saying he wants to manage Charlton one day.
    Could we not offer him the job straight away or would we have to interview other people even though the job is going to JJ.
    Why would you not, for instance, consider Jason Euell? Does Johnnie Jackson just get to decide who the next Charlton manager is?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    I completely believe that you think that. 
    You’d be completely right, explain to me what it achieves then?  Giving someone who has no chance of a job an interview to make up quotas.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    The key here is unconscious bias. 

I heard of large law firm Baker McKenzie, who had applications from BAME candidates that were roughly in proportion to the national demographics (about 15-20%). This number halved at the interview stage and halved again when it came to giving jobs. There was an argument maybe the BAME candidates weren't as good as the white ones, the best person always got the jobs etc... But when they blinded the application stage, the proportion of BAME candidates stayed the same at first stage. When they introduced interview panels that were mixed in terms of ethnicity and also seniority, the proportion of BAME candidates getting jobs was also maintained. Go figure.

Maybe some BAME candidates are missing out, not because of overt racism, but unconscious bias, something we all have
    Unconscious bias?  So in other words no evidence of racism but you might still be racist.