Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views: Charlton vs Blackpool

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

cafc4life said:

JamesSeed said:

cafc4life said:

Why do we always get this crude, morlock-like stench of unintelligence on here when we don't win.

We are missing 8 key players. We were comfortable for 89 minutes of the game today and had 2 clear chances to score. Yes we conceeded in the last minute which is disappointing, but in my view, we were clearly the better side.

The reaction on here is suicidal. We've got people calling for Robinson's head (a suggestion so stupid you should be banned for mentioning it) and others just posting the usual whingy Roland-out tripe.

When players come back, we'll have a much stronger 2nd half of the season. Until then, can we please have some original content.

We've been shit all season in an extremely shit league. Even when we have our strongest 11 available , tell me how many games we've been excellent? Our manager is costing us points by not trying to win games properly and trying to hold on to 1-0s. The squad is extremely weak down to our owner , who doesn't give a fuck. Please ban me for wanting my football club to be doing much better than it currently is. Sad we got fans that think everything is Rosy. Pathetic
    No we haven’t been shit all season. Sorry, but what an ill-considered remark.
    Last season we were shit almost all of the time. With virtually no money spent we’re better this season, but without real investment do you really expect us to be running away with the League One title?
    Eight key players out, and even in this awful league you’re going to struggle.
    Tell me one game we've played where we've been excellent for at least 60 minutes?

We haven't.
    Bristol Rovers with 10 men
    Northampton
    Rotherham
    Er, Fleetwood?
    For 25 minutes we looked unbelieveable against Oldham.
    We lost our way when Fane came on. There's clue there you know.

And @Nicholas Magennis often plays on the wing for Northern Ireland. I really think he look better on there. And he can still get in the middle for corner and free kicks, and help out in the defensive role for the same. He's not good enough at shielding the ball against big centre halves for that lone front man role.
    I thought Magennis looked quite comfortable on the left as well, having the pacier Best in the 9 position worked quite well yesterday

When Best went off, Magennis went back through the middle, with KAG on the left. Maybe KAG should have played down the middle instead, or even... Dodoo...
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

No excuses today. Should never have took Reeves off for George. Reeves was the only player that could and would have created a chance. Poor.

Apart from Aribo you mean. And Magennis created a chance. And so did Dasilva. Did Reeves create a chance?
    Just asking, because he's a decent player. But a bit flimsy.
    Da Si

Totally agree with cafcnick1992,we finished up with 6 kids on the pitch,who did us proud,Jacko run his legs off,and hardly misplaced a pass,also winning his fair share of headers.I think some people love these results so they can amuse themselves abusing Robinson and continuing the tired old Roland out saga.For all the obvious faults with the owners,no side could cope with losing 8 first choice players,that includes Manchester City,and the rest.The injury problem will be here for a few weeks,so might it not be a good idea for those that attend to give the kids some support.North stand as usual great support today.

The support at the ground was fine but the football in the second half wasn't. We sat back, invited pressure and could barely string two passes together. I'm sure most of the players won't have been happy with the display.

The team played okay in the first half but chances weren't taken. Our season seems to be grinding to a halt after a very poor December.

I'm not going to celebrate a 1-1 draw against Blackpool.
    No it's not Da Si, it's spelled 'Dasilva'. Jeez.
    Sorry, not being difficult but I've lost you here.... I wrote 'Apart from Aribo you mean. And Magennis created a chance. And so did Dasilva. Did Reeves create a chance?
    Just asking, because he's a decent player. But a bit flimsy.'
    And you replied 'Da Si'. I thought you were saying it's spelled Da Silva?
    I accidentally replied to two posts at the same time - I didn't mean to reply to yours. It was done in error.

Sorry for the confusion...
    Apologies for questioning you questioning me questioning you questioning my spelling.
    Love you.
    Get a room you two. :wink:
  • Options

WSA said:

Shame to hear Lapslie struggled, was he really that bad? He seems to be really highly rated and has had a decent season thus far in the checkatrade etc

Lapslie's one-two pass with Aribo when he came on was sublime. The talent is there, it just didn't work out for him on this occasion, he was too rushed. Totally Robinson's fault for putting him on at a critical point in the game.
    Someone else said it looked pre planned. Robinson is petulant enough to have sent him on to then say to Roland that the young players aren’t ready and we need to invest
    Another possibility is that he has been given a quota of academy youngsters to play this season. Let's face it, that is perfectly plausible with this idiot and his mad theories. I also wouldn't be surprised if i is in KR's contract, and that rather than getting a bonus for fulfilling the quota, he only gets 100% of his basic when he achieves the quota.

• Options
    Just watched the highlights- we had 7 players round the ball for their equaliser. And why didn't Best hit that second chance with his right foot?
  • Options
    This may not be the right thread, but I really want to discuss this business of Magennis "playing on the wing" for NI. (e.g. @JamesSeed ) Well, I have not been able to follow more than the brief highlights of most of their games, but I went to the game in Prague when he came on on 60.

He didn't play as a "winger" then. He replaced Kyle Lafferty, who had been useless, but there was another striker still on the pitch. He nearly scored with his first touch onto a cross where he was right in the centre of the six yard box, won a series of headers in central areas, and scared the shit out of the Czechs by the muscular way he ran the channels.

Now I don't know about the rest of you but does that sound like a "winger"? I think the trouble is that its so long since we played 4-4-2 that many have forgotten what it looks like. If you have a two, then one will tend to be on the left and one on the right, right?

I was trying to think of a Charlton analogy for the way he played that night for NI and what I came up with was Gary Nelson with muscle.
  • Options
    Magennis was better yesterday than of late but he still needs to go on a mojo hunt.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

redman said:

JamesSeed said:

Thought we played some decent stuff in first 45 but missed our chances. Second half we were hopeless and sat back far too deep - lucky to get a point in the end.

Marshall was very poor and the Sarr-Konsa pairing didn't work. On the basis of what I saw from Lapslie it must rank as one of the worst performances I've seen - he really looked dreadful.

Reeves did some good stuff including an amazing pass to Da Silva in the first half.

I don’t get the Sarr criticism on here. One or two misplaced passes yes, and was it his weak clearing header that ultimately led to their goal?But most of the time he was perfectly ok. He’s just a scapegoat figure for some of you.

Reeves I think is too lightweight for this league.

I doubt we’ll see Lapslie again for a long time, if at all.

And for anyone saying the players don’t care, the pitch was littered with prone bodies after the final whistle. It was as if they’d lost an FA Cup final.
    What!!!!! Your comment re Lapslie is out of order. Are you trying to destroy our youngsters. How old is he? I am sure those who follow our youngsters will confirm he is very talented. IT may be be before his time but to say that is IDIOTIC.
    Not sure if you meant me or @hoof_it_up_to_benty @redman? His quote didn't appear in your post, whereas mine did.

I wasn't digging him out, I just meant he shouldn't have been brought on for a debut at a time like that. Hardly ideal. It now means we probably won't see him again this season, as that would be too much pressure. How many injuries did it take for him to get his chance? It's unlikely that similar circumstances would arise again.

I was actually saying to the people I was with how lively he looked in his first five or ten minutes - the interplay with Aribo leading to his blocked shot was excellent; but then it went wrong for him. So my comment wasn't an attempt to 'destroy' a youngster at all (if you did mean me). It was born out of frustration with the circumstances. But on reflection, I can see how you might have inferred that from the wording.
    It would be great to see him given other chances, probably next season, when he's more ready, perhaps in cup competitions out of the spotlight. Or when we're a couple of goals up - but how often does that happen?!

[edit: Btw, does anyone else remember Gary Waddock of QPR? Incredibly popular player with the fans, full of boundless energy and enthusiasm, in the Nobby Styles mould. Lapslie is a footballing dead ringer.

Just watched the short highlights on VP...
    Agonising watching Best 'missing' from his two chances. Had he scored even one of them we'd all be far more positive on this post match views thread. Gutted for him really, as he must be desperate to do well. I thought that apart from the misses it was a proper centre forward's performance from him.

Of course I'm also looking for an excuse for Naby's poor defensive header, and perhaps there is one. As the free kick came in he had to back pedal to get his head on the ball. It's impossible to get power on a header if you're back pedaling. Had his clearance been an ordinary header it would be fair to criticise him.
    Perhaps he should have back headed it out for a corner though, but that wouldn't have been easy either.
    ok apologies, misinterpreted your initial comment; although to be fair it was a little ambiguous. I agree it is too early for him but have high hopes for him.
  • Options

No team in this division could afford 8 first team players out and not suffer some reaction. What concerns me is why so many injuries and the slow recovery time. Have we cut back so much in the back room staff that we do not have the quality in coaching, fitness and conditioning skills that a professional outfit must have in modern day football.

I remember the season we went down from the Championship constant discussions about injuries impacting on our performances. It may be true but EVERY club has injuries and the problem comes when a squad is not deep enough to cover the expected level during the season. Players also tend to be unfit and /or slow to recover from injuries when morale in a club is poor.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This may not be the right thread, but I really want to discuss this business of Magennis "playing on the wing" for NI. (e.g. @JamesSeed ) Well, I have not been able to follow more than the brief highlights of most of their games, but I went to the game in Prague when he came on on 60.

He didn't play as a "winger" then. He replaced Kyle Lafferty, who had been useless, but there was another striker still on the pitch. He nearly scored with his first touch onto a cross where he was right in the centre of the six yard box, won a series of headers in central areas, and scared the shit out of the Czechs by the muscular way he ran the channels.

Now I don't know about the rest of you but does that sound like a "winger"? I think the trouble is that its so long since we played 4-4-2 that many have forgotten what it looks like. If you have a two, then one will tend to be on the left and one on the right, right?

I was trying to think of a Charlton analogy for the way he played that night for NI and what I came up with was Gary Nelson with muscle.

I think you’ll need someone who knows more about the NI team than me to answer that. I’m afraid my comment was was only based on what I’ve read in reviews (and on CL perhaps).
    Hangs head in shame. Again
  • Options

Just watched the highlights- we had 7 players round the ball for their equaliser. And why didn't Best hit that second chance with his right foot?

With a ball like that coming in from the left, it’s easier with the left foot.
  • Options
    We all know the only thing KR is likely to get in January is a new suit in the Next Sale, he'll probably need one in January for a job interview anyway. There's no hope of any progress with Roland still in charge, I'm affraid other season of mid table obscurity beckons.
    Roland out !!!
  • Options

We all know the only thing KR is likely to get in January is a new suit in the Next Sale, he'll probably need one in January for a job interview anyway. There's no hope of any progress with Roland still in charge, I'm affraid other season of mid table obscurity beckons.
    Roland out !!!

As long as RD is in charge there won't be any progress unless we get a manager who can work miracles - no manager of any standing would come near our club. I'm sure KR has had enough?
  • Options
    You still here karl
  • Options
    Message for KR: You OK hun?
  • Options

Read through the entire thread.

Best words used are :

In 3rd place - Spurned - Henry Irving
    2nd place - Obligatory - Killerandflash

But first place goes to Sethplum with inexorable

I intend to make this a regular feature so the rest of you need to up your game.

Special mention for Fanny for squeezing in Dick

Good to be appreciated, SHG .
  • Options

Good points, Prague ......Gary Nelson had often played wide during his career, but whether he would be described as a winger, I'm not so sure.
    Invariably he played as a forward, whether wide or central, but never as a target man - and at Charlton, he would normally play narrow and 'run the channels'.

I guess that was how Magennis was expected to play yesterday, with Best leading the line.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Richard J said:

After Lapslie's cameo I can see why Robinson talked about Bowyer being on the bench .

Could Lee have played for 15 minutes ?

If he's also registered as a player (like Jacko), sure he could.
    He's 40 years old, hasn't played for 5 years - but otherwise is as fit as 5-a-side training matches allow him to be.

But if he played part of a League match, it would take him a month to recover!
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Magennis played widish left in a front three yesterday. He wasn't starting in the middle and spinning into a channel like Gary Nelson. He either charged directly forward from the left (for the Best chance) or he cut inside and passed. If anyone spun into a channel, it was Best.

Magennis looked much better on the left than he has done of late down the middle. He was able to win a lot of headers against their full back and looks much better running with the ball than he does with his back to goal.

Whenever I've seen Magennis play wide for NI its been on the RIGHT. I've sure he's right-footed & although the cross for Best's chance came from his left foot he seemed very uncomfortable on the left yesterday.
  • Options
    George started well, and then seemed to get caught out a couple of times. Wasn’t pre planned, I sort of understand the decision by Robbo to be fair.

We were lacking legs in the middle and needed some energy in there.

Also nice to meet @AFKABartram after the game too!

Merry Christmas to all.
  • Options
    Wasn't there yesterday but from the reading the thread the second half in particular sounds horribly like the second half of the Portsmouth game which I did see.

Why can't we work the opposition keeper now and then? If you don't shoot you don't score.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Wasn't there yesterday but from the reading the thread the second half in particular sounds horribly like the second half of the Portsmouth game which I did see.

Why can't we work the opposition keeper now and then? If you don't shoot you don't score.

Didn't get the ball anywhere near their penalty area in the 2nd half. No sustained attacks at all. One promising Aribo incursion into the area and a Marshall shot past the near post and that was about it.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

He certainly made it look harder with his left foot. I just assumed he’s one footed.
    Surely a ball coming across your body it is better to hit against it? More power and control.

• Options

Dont know if its been mentioned and I know we should have defended it better... BUT...

What the hell was the Free Kick given for that led to their goal, when the referee blew for a foul there wasnt a Charlton player within a few yards of the ball

Exactly my thoughts.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Nicholas said:

Piss of Robinson. Your time is up. You tried to suck off Roland and Katrien as did Slade, Peters, Luzon on the other desperate losers. However you were left short and now your paying the price. No excuses anymore, walk away and tell everyone how shit the owners are. You won’t though because you desperate shite manager that will take anything you can get like the other wankers.

So which players should have played instead then from our huge squad? How is it the managers fault that we have no depth in the squad? This problem is down to the owners and lack of squad depth, etc.

So if it was Robinson’s fault then name me a manager that could have prevented Lapslie from giving the ball away every time he kicked it? Yes I agree it’s too early for him but we had no one else!

From what your post states you are claiming that Robinson has had enough backing from the owners and it’s his fault entirely........ok mate.
    What are you on about? I'm stating and have always stated Robinson is a little bitch, just like Peeters was, just like Slade was just like Luzon was and all the others. They take on the job never get backed properly. They get a half decent 11 together but never a squad They then spout bollocks and lie and tell us we wasn't able to get our targets for one reason or another. They do the upmost best to tell us how wonderful Katiren is and how Roland doesnt interfere. They then ended up playing that same 11 week in week out never resting them when they pick up niggles and by the time winter comes along those niggles become more serious and all of a sudden the squad is knackered. ANY manager who is desperate enough to work for these lot in charge is just another puppet. It's the same shit every season but so many fall for it over and over again because we had a decent start.

Oh and playing Maginnes on the left 2 games in a row should be instant dismissal anyway.
    how I see it too.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

JamesSeed said:

He certainly made it look harder with his left foot. I just assumed he’s one footed.
    Surely a ball coming across your body it is better to hit against it? More power and control.

No it’s harder, because you have to plant your standing foot somewhere, and the ball would be exactly where your foot would need to be at exactly the wrong time. If it was a gentle cross, then fine, but the ball was motoring.

It’s was a harder chance than it looked, but that’s the difference been a league one striker and a top striker I guess. But that’s why the top ones get paid so much and Best doesn’t.
  • Options

Nicholas said:

Nicholas said:

Piss of Robinson. Your time is up. You tried to suck off Roland and Katrien as did Slade, Peters, Luzon on the other desperate losers. However you were left short and now your paying the price. No excuses anymore, walk away and tell everyone how shit the owners are. You won’t though because you desperate shite manager that will take anything you can get like the other wankers.

So which players should have played instead then from our huge squad? How is it the managers fault that we have no depth in the squad? This problem is down to the owners and lack of squad depth, etc.

So if it was Robinson’s fault then name me a manager that could have prevented Lapslie from giving the ball away every time he kicked it? Yes I agree it’s too early for him but we had no one else!

From what your post states you are claiming that Robinson has had enough backing from the owners and it’s his fault entirely........ok mate.
    What are you on about? I'm stating and have always stated Robinson is a little bitch, just like Peeters was, just like Slade was just like Luzon was and all the others. They take on the job never get backed properly. They get a half decent 11 together but never a squad They then spout bollocks and lie and tell us we wasn't able to get our targets for one reason or another. They do the upmost best to tell us how wonderful Katiren is and how Roland doesnt interfere. They then ended up playing that same 11 week in week out never resting them when they pick up niggles and by the time winter comes along those niggles become more serious and all of a sudden the squad is knackered. ANY manager who is desperate enough to work for these lot in charge is just another puppet. It's the same shit every season but so many fall for it over and over again because we had a decent start.

Oh and playing Maginnes on the left 2 games in a row should be instant dismissal anyway.
    how I see it too.
    What am I on about? Your post stated that Robinson should walk away as he is "a little bitch" and giving the same excuses as the other managers, however clearly the common problem that all of the managers/coaches have had are the owners of the club as "They take on the job never get backed properly" so why blame the manager when you clearly agree with what I was trying to say.

So is your solution that we have no manager at all? Because according to you "ANY manager who is desperate enough to work for these lot in charge is just another puppet".

You mate are a contradiction in terms and the fact that people on here actually back you up with this ridiculous post either shows that they were either drunk at the time you posted, stupid or just in a little forum clique.